seatback
Topic Author

United's Complete Lack Of Branding Strategy!

Thu May 23, 2013 2:52 am

With the release of United's new uniforms, which aren't bad in my opinion, I'm shocked that UA has shown no vision for a new brand platform/strategy that reflects the 'new' United. Instead, we have a 23 year old former Continental brand (that was nice for them) but shows a complete lack of creativity and vision.

Perhaps their strategy was to get the back of house in order then address the public side later.

Are there plans to address this soon or in the future?

aerowrench

RE: United's Complete Lack Of Branding Strategy!

Thu May 23, 2013 2:53 am

Ahem, why did people complain when AA changed their brand which was much older than United/Continental's?

mayor

Thu May 23, 2013 2:59 am

Quoting aerowrench (Reply 1):
Ahem, why did people complain when AA changed their brand which was much older than United/Continental's?

Well, for one thing, AA changed it before anyone was sure if there was going to be a merger. In addition to that, the "new" brand at AA is atrocious and we really don't know if it will carry on thru the merger, do we? We keep hearing vague whispers that it still may change.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

AeroWesty

Thu May 23, 2013 3:18 am

Quoting seatback (Thread starter):
I'm shocked that UA has shown no vision for a new brand platform/strategy that reflects the 'new' United.

Why are you shocked? There's still 2 years to go from your original prediction of 5 years to rebrand (see reply #2 in the thread below):

Smisek:No Change To New United Livery (by Rising Jul 22 2010 in Civil Aviation)
International Homo of Mystery

MaverickM11

Thu May 23, 2013 3:32 am

The brand is more consistent than it has been in at least a decade. Boring? Sure. Does anyone that matters care? No.
E pur si muove -Galileo

Airport

Thu May 23, 2013 4:04 am

This is just my personal opinion:

The quantity of age is no way to tell a great brand. It doesn't matter whether a brand is 5 years or 50 years old, the more relevant question is: Does the company's image yield a fresh, positive emotional reaction? Not just for the consumers, but for the employees and everybody who contributes to the overall function of the organization?

When I look at UA, I sense zero passion. I sense zero heart. I sense zero vision, zero ambition to truly change the airline industry and become all that they are capable of. If the brand does not instill or inspire that ambition, then why should the employees buy into it? What really is the "idealized" UA employee? Without that heart, that vigor, or zeal or whatever you want to call it, UA will never be perceived as fresh, energetic, or exciting.

The two airline brands I look to that best exemplify passion and heart is AS and WN. And it absolutely shows in the employees. One is not the result of another, but the two feed off of each other immensely because a great brand instills great confidence.

Instead UA has chosen to focus on efficiency, consistency, style and there's nothing wrong with that per se. But there's a lot of airlines out there that are catering a brand that focuses on literally exactly the same things that the UA brand focuses on. So for the UA brand to be effective, they have to be unique and top of the class at communicating it. And frankly I feel they aren't, which is resulting in a stale, cliche, and forgettable brand. As long as this is the case it will be a major shackle to UA, because it gives the employees little reason to have confidence and emotionally buy what the airline is selling.

It kills me seeing it because UA has the potential to be so much more - a truly dramatic game changer, almost unstoppable force in the industry.

[Edited 2013-05-22 21:05:23]

freakyrat

Thu May 23, 2013 8:45 pm

AA lifted a version of the old United Mainliner Logo and reversed the colors.

max550

Thu May 23, 2013 9:09 pm

Their current strategy is an improvement over this.

It seems they do have a branding strategy now. Whether you like it or not is another issue.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of the new brand but it's not even close to being UA's biggest problem right now.

[Edited 2013-05-23 14:20:35]

ghifty

Thu May 23, 2013 9:24 pm

Quoting Airport (Reply 5):
This is just my personal opinion:

Quoting Airport (Reply 5):
The two airline brands I look to that best exemplify passion and heart is AS and WN. And it absolutely shows in the employees. One is not the result of another, but the two feed off of each other immensely because a great brand instills great confidence.

I'd add Delta to this list.
Fly Delta (Wid)Jets

ramprat74

Thu May 23, 2013 10:05 pm

When walking through the ORD lobby. All I can think about is Walmart's Great Value brand. Just boring and generic.

MaverickM11

Thu May 23, 2013 10:09 pm

Quoting max550 (Reply 7):
Personally I'm not a huge fan of the new brand but it's not even close to being UA's biggest problem right now.

Their current strategy is an improvement over this.

And that was a good day--three planes in the same scheme nose to tail 
E pur si muove -Galileo

seatback
Topic Author

Thu May 23, 2013 10:30 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 3):
Why are you shocked? There's still 2 years to go from your original prediction of 5 years to rebrand

I can't believe I said 5 years. That's an eternity in this business.

ldvaviation

Thu May 23, 2013 10:59 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 4):
The brand is more consistent than it has been in at least a decade. Boring? Sure. Does anyone that matters care? No.

That is the crux of the matter. I dare say no one here has been queried by AA's or UA's executive offices on the subject. For the record, I know AA has been making those calls.

eastern747

Fri May 24, 2013 12:33 am

Consumer Report today reports VX #1........Spirit last......UA/AA/DL down at bottom.....what does that say?

kaitakfan

Fri May 24, 2013 12:55 am

Holy crap RampRat... you just nailed it right on the head... The new United does have the generic Wal Mart feel to it...ZERO creativity, ZERO passion for the product. Just simply... here is our airline, we fly planes with seats to different cities. After growing up in the United family, it really is painful to now relate United to Wal Mart.

staralliance85

Fri May 24, 2013 12:59 am

I think the Former Continental livery for the New United is great!! It has only been 14 months since United-Continental officially merged as one carrier. They are doing a much better job than DL!!
brad Fitzpatrick

jayunited

Fri May 24, 2013 1:05 am

I've been thinking about the Brand as well and I've been wondering when United would take up the branding issues. Our website is old and outdated, the livery represents Continental's past and not United's future and our cabins which represents branding as well are not in sync and we probably won't see a single harmonious cabin on the widebody fleet for quite some time because in my opinion the combine United does not want to spend the money to come up with an all new business class cabin that provides all passengers direct access to the isle. So from a branding standpoint I believe that it will be years perhaps 5-8 years before the public actually gets to a a truly combined United that represents ONLY the new United and not Continental and the old United.

Employees are also a representation of branding as well and on one hand United does have employees who care about this company those employees have heart, passions, compassion and know how to serve customers, but on the other hand we have a lot of employees who are jaded, old bitter and they simply do not care about United or the customer. United needs to find a way to convince those employees to move on so the the new United can go forward because we are hiring a lot of new people off the street however there are a lot of employees from both Continental and United who can't let go of the past and as long as they hold on to the past the new United can not move forward.

ckfred

Fri May 24, 2013 1:07 am

Quoting mayor (Reply 2):
In addition to that, the "new" brand at AA is atrocious and we really don't know if it will carry on thru the merger, do we?

I happen to like the new brand for AA. I remember as a kid, some of my father's friends, who were road warriors, didn't like the livery and brand that has been replaced this year, much prefering the old lightning bolt livery. It just shows that many people often don't like change, even if what is being changed really needs to be.

That said, I still don't understand why the CO people decided to stick the United name on the CO brand. It's confusing, and the tulip U was better known than the CO globe, especially in the Pacific Rim, where UA was a major player before the merger. It just shows that Jeff Smisek's ego is bigger than his understanding of brand identity. But then, he's a lawyer by education, so he probably really doesn't understand the whole concept of marketing.

travelin man

Fri May 24, 2013 1:13 am

Quoting kaitakfan (Reply 14):
Holy crap RampRat... you just nailed it right on the head... The new United does have the generic Wal Mart feel to it...ZERO creativity, ZERO passion for the product. Just simply... here is our airline, we fly planes with seats to different cities. After growing up in the United family, it really is painful to now relate United to Wal Mart.

How is this different from how United has ever been? I've been a frequent flyer with UA for 20 years. But I've never thought to myself "oh boy, I get to fly on United".

I've actually had really good experiences with them on my last three flights (LAX-LHR, CDG-EWR, EWR-LAX). And I do think some issues are overblown on this and other sites.

But the UA branding has NEVER been a strong point, IMO. They will get you from point A to point B, and hopefully without too much hassle. It's pretty much the standard expectations of the US airline industry, unfortunately.

Beyond Southwest and (maybe) JetBlue, which airline actually has a good brand strategy?

I like Delta's "Up" commercials, but see them pretty infrequently. That's the only one that comes to mind.

F9Animal

Fri May 24, 2013 1:17 am

Yes, ramprat74 nailed the head of the nail hard! LOL! It is indeed a boring product. I also agree with others, the livery is just plain. I actually thought CO's name on the fuselage was better looking. I think most of this falls on the leadership of the company.
I Am A Different Animal!!

hOMSaR

Fri May 24, 2013 1:17 am

Quoting seatback (Reply 11):
I can't believe I said 5 years. That's an eternity in this business.

No it's not.

It takes airlines 2-3 years just to complete a merger.

Airlines are ordering planes today for delivery in 2018-2020.

Unless you're Delta in the late 1990s/early 2000s, you don't rebrand every 5 years.

Five years is nothing.
The plural of Airbus is Airbuses. Airbii is not a word.
There is no 787-800, nor 787-900 or 747-800. It's 787-8, 787-9, and 747-8.
A321neoLR is also unnecessary. It's simply A321LR.
Airplanes don't have isles, they have aisles.

staralliance85

Fri May 24, 2013 1:56 am

Quoting ckfred (Reply 17):
That said, I still don't understand why the CO people decided to stick the United name on the CO brand. It's confusing, and the tulip U was better known than the CO globe, especially in the Pacific Rim, where UA was a major player before the merger. It just shows that Jeff Smisek's ego is bigger than his understanding of brand identity. But then, he's a lawyer by education, so he probably really doesn't understand the whole concept of marketing.

CO under Bethune to Smisek made a huge comeback. CO became a great airline with by having the newest fleet and having great customer service. Their product was way more superior to UA, DL, AA, NW and US. They were the only US airline to be in competition with foreign airlines that have a good product. I agree with Jeff Smisek that taking the Continental philosophy to United will prosper in the long run. I admit it is a very difficult task to get the pre-merger UA people to get use to it but it will take time. For example, I think it should be a priority to rip out the UA pre-merger style Global First and the Herringbone BusinessFirst seats. They should put the pre-merger Continental BusinessFirst seats on all the long haul flights. If the UA people refuse to get use to the CO philosophy then they should hire new very willing people that will deliver great customer service.
brad Fitzpatrick

sulley

Fri May 24, 2013 2:15 am

Quoting staralliance85 (Reply 21):
For example, I think it should be a priority to rip out the UA pre-merger style Global First and the Herringbone BusinessFirst seats.

Why?!

I'm from the CO side of the house and I am a strong supporter of keeping Global First on premium routes that demand a first class product.
In thrust we trust!

RyanairGuru

Fri May 24, 2013 2:28 am

CO under Bethune to Smisek made a huge comeback. CO became a great airline with by having the newest fleet and having great customer service. Their product was way more superior to UA, DL, AA, NW and US

I agree 100%, especially 95-01 CO was a truly fantastic airline. That said...

I agree with Jeff Smisek that taking the Continental philosophy to United will prosper in the long run.

I don't. It died. The Bethune culture was dying pre-merger under Smisek (by 08 CO was not what it once was) who was focussed only on nickel and diming, and had no interest in Gordon's legacy.

He kept it on as marketing bs, but it was becoming increasingly irrelevant. With the merger it died completely.

think it should be a priority to rip out the UA pre-merger style Global Firs

I do find myself wondering if you're just trolling  

If you're not then it's time to move on. Continental is dead. I've been a OnePass member practically since I was born, I grew up on Continental Airlines flights, I probably had more diapers changed at EWR than at home. Believe me, I honestly feel that CO is part of my past even though I've nothing to do with them other than being a very frequent flyer during my formative years. At first I was upset by this merger, it felt like part of my childhood was dying, the same way that people get emotional when the forest they used to play gets turned into a housing development or whatever it is.

But we've got a new company now. If we keep trying to ram everything Continental down the United folks' throats then all that we achieve is more and more antipathy towards the great company we knew and loved. Read the posts of some people here and (especially) on FlyerTalk and you will see that a number of people blame Continental for every single fault at the new carrier. By continually reinforcing the "Continental was great" and "everything we did was better" message, all that we do is add fuel to that fire. That's why I'm pi**ed of Smisek, because of his incompetence (for the record, at both UA and CO) people seem to conflate the generally dire condition of executive leadership at United with Continental.

In the end I resolved that the best thing to do was for everyone (from both sides) to get behind the new airline. Why? Because this bitterness is not going to go away otherwise, and instead we will continue to see Continental's legacy trashed and dragged through the dirt. I don't want to see that. Rather I want to see the legacy of two great airlines create an even better one. That is the best homage that we can pay Gordon, I'm sure that it's what he would have wanted.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

KGRB

Fri May 24, 2013 2:42 am

Quoting staralliance85 (Reply 15):
It has only been 14 months since United-Continental officially merged as one carrier. They are doing a much better job than DL!!

Do you care to expound on that statement? DL/NW have been fully integrated for over two years now. Perhaps you were thinking of WN/FL? (Which has been a disaster, IMO.)

Quoting EASTERN747 (Reply 13):
Consumer Report today reports VX #1........Spirit last......UA/AA/DL down at bottom.....what does that say?

When VX actually makes a profit, we'll talk.
Flown on: Air Wisconsin, America West, American, Compass, Delta, Endeavor Air, Envoy, ExpressJet, Mesa, Mesaba, Midwest Express, Northwest, Piedmont, Pinnacle, PSA, Skyway, SkyWest, United, US Airways

VC10er

Fri May 24, 2013 2:44 am

Not Continental's hard product! The BF "chair" was behind all others, (the most uncomfortable in the sky and the angled disaster for ULH was worse!) yet they had the stones to stick the word First on the end of Business? Yes, service used to be great! And it did have the best food. But CO always fell short in the seat dept.

You all know what I think of UA branding (which is different than brand):
United hired one of the best, if not the best, design agency in the world: Pentagram. Then canned Pentagram upon merger, went back to CO's Lippencott who only creates very low-risk, unremarkable design. They really are a brand strategy consultancy with an art department. Sad.

And the advertising is even so much more sad.

And I like United a lot!
The world is missing love, let's use our flights to spread it!

brilondon

Fri May 24, 2013 2:54 am

Quoting kaitakfan (Reply 14):

This is what we are getting with all the consolidation in the industry, the individual companies realize that they have basically created an oligopoly and don't really need to have that eye catching brand, just put it out there and if you need to go to a certain city, the airline that serves that city is what you get stuck on and very little choice or alternative. Why should airlines spend any more money on branding that they have to. Lack of competition creates complacency and staleness of product which we see with UA. Yes, Walmart is a good comparison as in the retail industry there are few true rivals to Walmart so they are just blah in the branding and so goes UA.
Rush for ever; Yankees all the way!!

airportugal310

Fri May 24, 2013 3:05 am

Quoting KGRB (Reply 24):
When VX actually makes a profit, we'll talk.

I'm having a really hard time understanding your logic...

Are you suggesting that since an airline doesn't consistently make money, that they aren't allowed to be good at what they do?
I sell airplanes and airplane accessories

KGRB

Fri May 24, 2013 3:14 am

Quoting airportugal310 (Reply 27):
Are you suggesting that since an airline doesn't consistently make money, that they aren't allowed to be good at what they do?

I'm suggesting that an airline's goal, as with any other business, is to make a profit. DL, AS, B6, WN, US and many other carriers are doing that quite well right now. VX, on the other hand, has lost money every single quarter they've been around. Does that sound like a viable business strategy to you?
Flown on: Air Wisconsin, America West, American, Compass, Delta, Endeavor Air, Envoy, ExpressJet, Mesa, Mesaba, Midwest Express, Northwest, Piedmont, Pinnacle, PSA, Skyway, SkyWest, United, US Airways

brilondon

Fri May 24, 2013 3:18 am

Quoting airportugal310 (Reply 27):

I get what was being said. Yes, if an airline does not make money on a consistent basis then they have to look at their entire operation and fix it or they will end up like Skybus, Royal, PanAm, Canjet, etc.
Rush for ever; Yankees all the way!!

TWA772LR

Fri May 24, 2013 3:30 am

Quoting jayunited (Reply 16):
single harmonious cabin on the widebody fleet

The widebody cabins are being worked on. The sUA 763s are being configured to sC) 764 standards and the same for the 777s. The only one that is the oddball is the 747 and its days are numbered so it won't make since to refurbish those.

pre-merger UA people to get use to it but it will take time.

sUA employees can be viewed like a girl who just got out of a bad relationship that has trust issues as a result; which is totally understandable given the circumstances. And the sCO employees are upset because after they saw CO comeback from near-CH7 BK, and become the leading airline of the world, and they feel their history has been erased to a seemingly inferior airline. The old UA management screwed them over their employees and just treated them like crap. The old UA just didn't have great leadership, especially when they needed it most post 9/11 and in BK.

[Edited 2013-05-23 20:35:17]
And for my next miracle, I'm gonna turn water into funk!

mayor

Fri May 24, 2013 5:03 am

It says that you can pour all the money you want into your airline, for shiny new planes, "cool" interiors, etc., but if you don't have a viable plan to make money, eventually, those shiny new planes are going to get parked and Virgin American will just become another PA, TW, EA, etc., thrown up on the heap of failed airlines.

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 30):
leading airline of the world

I think there may be a few airlines, specifically overseas, that might dispute that assertion.

Quoting HOmSaR (Reply 20):
Unless you're Delta in the late 1990s/early 2000s, you don't rebrand every 5 years.

Just for the heck of it, check UA's liveries from about the mid 70s until now and tell me how many different ones you find. I think you may find more than DL's.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

seahawk

Fri May 24, 2013 5:55 am

Liveries are overrated in this forum. If they want to improve the brand, they need to improve the product. that means get a homogeneous cabin product for the long haul fleet, get the 2 airlines merged into one by setting one standard service level, improve the website. A flashy new livery does nothing to improve the customer experience.

airportugal310

Fri May 24, 2013 6:13 am

Quoting KGRB (Reply 28):
Quoting brilondon (Reply 29):

You are both correct that losing money is obviously not a great business strategy. I oughta know...that's what a do for a living.

However the original comment I quoted to was to a comment regarding CR's award to VX as being #1 at something. For that they don't have to be making money to be great at what they are doing at present. Could it come back to bite them? Sure. But what's the alternative? Suck more with your product because your business plan sucks?

I just don't understand the constant hate on VX here...that's all.
I sell airplanes and airplane accessories

F9Animal

Fri May 24, 2013 7:09 am

Remember UA's "Rising" branding? I really thought UA was on the right track. Empowering employees to do the right thing, and take care of the customer. The product was great, and service seemed to be headed in the right direction. I was employed with UA during this time, and the campaign was like a breath of fresh air. We had tools to use when ops becamea problem. I remember the $25.00 gift vouchers we had on hand to give out when a passenger was wronged. The new chef, and wine selections. I mean, that program is something that UA should consider modeling after.
I Am A Different Animal!!

HSVflier

Fri May 24, 2013 7:43 am

Having flown Globalfirst on United in the last few weeks and Delta in Coach.....have to say the United experience was very bland and Delta just seemed a much fresher experience. I honestly believe United should get rid of First class and improve their Business product, to cramped in business compared to Delta. the service in Bizelite is far superior in my expereince to the United business model. GlobalFirst on United on both my flights was mainly united employees on vacation. I think United can still offer a great product but from my observation they seem lost for lack of a better word.
Flown DL, UA, CO, WN, LH, TZ, WO, AA, US, LO, HA, PX, NW, KE, AB, QR, LX, EE, 5Y

VC10er

Fri May 24, 2013 1:43 pm

"But we've got a new company now. If we keep trying to ram everything Continental down the United folks' throats then all that we achieve is more and more antipathy towards the great company we knew and loved. Read the posts of some people here and (especially) on FlyerTalk and you will see that a number of people blame Continental for every single fault at the new carrier. By continually reinforcing the "Continental was great" and "everything we did was better" message, all that we do is add fuel to that fire. That's why I'm pi**ed of Smisek, because of his incompetence (for the record, at both UA and CO) people seem to conflate the generally dire condition of executive leadership at United with Continental. "

I AGREE 100% with the above. The United brand is solely driven by its holistic product. The branding is the visual expression. Every CEO has their role then moves on. If Tilton's job was to make United ready to be sold, Smisek's job was to manage the huge integration...a virtually no-win thankless job and we can start 10 threads about why we don't like him or what we think he did wrong. But the USA lost United and Continental. Now it's an impressive and huge operation with the worlds best network and hubs. Now United needs a healer and a visionary. It also needs us to come to terms with the loss of the 2 airlines we loved and cheer for the success of the new entity. We all have opinions: some say rip out Global First, I say keep it. Current BF isn't good enough to be the sole premium product. Especially on flights over 8 hours.

But let's be positive and hope United looks around and realizes being the biggest and most profitable isn't sustainable without a brand to be proud of. If they do have a great turn around, then they can paint new peacock feathers on their fleet!
The world is missing love, let's use our flights to spread it!

jayunited

Fri May 24, 2013 4:02 pm

I think it should be a priority to rip out the UA pre-merger style Global First and the Herringbone BusinessFirst seats. They should put the pre-merger Continental BusinessFirst seats on all the long haul flights. If the UA people refuse to get use to the CO philosophy then they should hire new very willing people that will deliver great customer service.

The Global First seat is still on sUA planes not because sUA employees as trying to hold on to the past the reason those seats are still on sUA planes is because prior to the merger all UA international aircraft were 3 class cabin and our customers were use to that. Had Jeff came in and did what you are suggesting and ripped first class off all sUA planes he would have pissed off a lot of people and he would have cost United a lot of corporate contracts. People in general do not like drastic changes that include customers and employees however now since the merger pmUA customers now understand that depending on what hub they leave from on a international flight they might be on a plane that has Global First and they might not. If you ease people into change you will find that they won't complain as much. Now is there a need for Global First not really but is pmCO Businessfirst seat the best product in the international market as you suggest ABSOLUTELY NOT. Both sCO and sUA employees need to recognize that neither product is superior when you measure it against what other international airlines have in their business class cabin. The new United needs an ALL NEW business class cabin.

So let go of the past because while you are quick to say sUA people need to get use to the sCO philosophy what you fail to realize is that you need to accept the new United philosophy because both pmCO and pmUA are DEAD and this kind of mentality is whats wrong with the new United and as long as people like you hold on to the past this airline cannot move forward. It's time to let it go!!!

rwy04lga

Fri May 24, 2013 4:43 pm

Quoting airportugal310 (Reply 33):
You are both correct that losing money is obviously not a great business strategy. I oughta know...that's what a do for a living.

You lose money for a living?   
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

EricR

Fri May 24, 2013 4:52 pm

It seems they do have a branding strategy now. Whether you like it or not is another issue.

UA chose a branding strategy after the merger. Perhaps it is just an iterim brand, perahps it is intended to be permanent, but they certainly chose a branding strategy.

Quoting jayunited (Reply 16):
our cabins which represents branding as well are not in sync and we probably won't see a single harmonious cabin on the widebody fleet for quite some time because in my opinion the combine United does not want to spend the money to come up with an all new business class cabin that provides all passengers direct access to the isle

Will any large airline, with various sized aircraft and new planes entering the fleet on a periodic basis, ever have a single harmonious cabin? I think not, so this is not really a UA issue, but a fact of life for larger carriers.

copter808

Fri May 24, 2013 6:14 pm

Quoting ckfred (Reply 17):

I disagree. Although Jeff certainly falls short in some areas, the livery was brilliant. As an employee (or frequent customer of either airline) how would you feel if the company was renamed "Global Airlines" (a complete renaming) with a new livery? The way it was done keeps the United folks happy because the name has not changed. It keeps the Continental folks happy because the only visible change is the name on the airplanes! The merging of managerment shows that the combination of the companies is a true "merger", not one being acquired by the other! It may not be working as hoped, but the idea was brilliant!! Let's give it some time.

I realize that there are still many unhappy people out there, but many of them would be unhappy regardless of what was done. United is in a state of change and employees either need to support it or move on.

As far as rebranding and a new paint job, that can come later.

T5towbar

Fri May 24, 2013 6:42 pm

Quoting travelin man (Reply 18):
But the UA branding has NEVER been a strong point, IMO. They will get you from point A to point B, and hopefully without too much hassle. It's pretty much the standard expectations of the US airline industry, unfortunately.

Beyond Southwest and (maybe) JetBlue, which airline actually has a good brand strategy?

I like Delta's "Up" commercials, but see them pretty infrequently. That's the only one that comes to mind.

DL's commercials (TV and Radio) are everywhere in the NYC area. Especially the local based ones (not sure what they have in other areas of the country - do they have a different set for regions like ATL or DTW?) in the NYC area. Especially the new ones about Terminal 4 at JFK.

I think that they are tasteful and done very well.

You are now seeing more AA commercials on TV as well.

Nothing for UA since the 2012 Olympics.........
A comment from an Ex CON: Work Hard.....Fly Standby!

FWAERJ

Fri May 24, 2013 7:00 pm

Quoting T5towbar (Reply 41):
(not sure what they have in other areas of the country - do they have a different set for regions like ATL or DTW?)

In ATL, DL has a special set of "Atlanta's Hometown Airline" ads, which was trademarked by DL so WN couldn't use it after the FL merger.
"Did he really need the triple bypass? Or was it the miles?"

MaverickM11

Fri May 24, 2013 7:26 pm

Quoting EricR (Reply 39):
I think not, so this is not really a UA issue, but a fact of life for larger carriers.

DL has several different new J seats, none of them merger related. UA is pretty much the only US carrier where you can count on a flat bed (one of two versions, three if you include F) across the entire long haul fleet.
E pur si muove -Galileo

bobnwa

Fri May 24, 2013 8:45 pm

Quoting staralliance85 (Reply 15):
I think the Former Continental livery for the New United is great!! It has only been 14 months since United-Continental officially merged as one carrier. They are doing a much better job than DL!!

Much better job in what areas? I must be missing it.

usflyer msp

Fri May 24, 2013 9:14 pm

I wish United would drop the GlobalFirst and BusinessFirst names for F and C. Talk about unwieldly and confusing! Whoever made that decision should be publically flogged....

pjcin303

Fri May 24, 2013 10:19 pm

Quoting usflyer msp (Reply 45):

Simple: To keep that 20+ year old Continental Trademark so nobody else creates a "BusinessFirst" cabin.

AADC10

Fri May 24, 2013 10:29 pm

I do not think branding has much to do with it. Most would agree that DL has the best branding and they are rated slightly ahead of UA but within the margin of error. VX and B6 are near the top because they offer the best value for the average traveler, somebody that does not fly more than four trips per year. Ask a road warrior top level elite and their rankings would be different.

Quoting brilondon (Reply 26):
This is what we are getting with all the consolidation in the industry, the individual companies realize that they have basically created an oligopoly and don't really need to have that eye catching brand, just put it out there and if you need to go to a certain city, the airline that serves that city is what you get stuck on and very little choice or alternative. Why should airlines spend any more money on branding that they have to.

I think the situation is actually quite the opposite. Branding is a relatively small cost of the operation and if they though it would work, it would be a way of differentiating themselves from the other big airlines. The lousy product overrides branding by a wide margin. Branding might work if radical changes were made and it was used to make customers aware of it but for the most part branding influences passengers that airlines do not care about, low yield, infrequent flyers, a.k.a. kettles. Reduced competition means a race to the bottom in all aspects for kettles.

Quoting seahawk (Reply 32):

Liveries are overrated in this forum. If they want to improve the brand, they need to improve the product. that means get a homogeneous cabin product for the long haul fleet, get the 2 airlines merged into one by setting one standard service level, improve the website. A flashy new livery does nothing to improve the customer experience.

I would agree with that. If UA had the splashy colors of VX everywhere, the stylish counters and uniforms, but the same lousy hard product and service, it may generate excitement for a few months but once they try it and find it to be the same, nobody will care.

staralliance85

Fri May 24, 2013 11:31 pm

Quoting bobnwa (Reply 44):
Much better job in what areas? I must be missing it.

Strategically, UA is way more superior than DL.

1. Star Alliance is a much broader and comprehensive network than Skyteam

- Star Alliance is very strong in every single continent. But I admit they will be just ok in South America after TAm leaves.

- Skyteam is just ok in Europe but lacks everywhere else.

-They are so undesirable that Not even JL wanted to join them in 2010.

2. Post merger UA puts DL's hubs to shame

- UA hubs are six of the largest US cities.

-UA hubs are very reliable and very easy to make connections

- ATL is the only really strong DL hub.

-UA has strong West coast hubs such as SFO and LAX. DL lacks a West coast hub and SEA is more of a focus city Not a hub.

- EWR is a true hub, unlike DL's sporadic strategy at JFk and LGA.

3. UA's FFR and loyal strategy is amazing:

- UA MileagePlus has been rated the Best Loyalty Program

_-DL's FF program has the hardest redemptions

4. UA's Stock price is worth more than DL's

5. UA has more flat beds than DL.

The List goes on!!
brad Fitzpatrick

tommy767

Fri May 24, 2013 11:37 pm

If the UA people refuse to get use to the CO philosophy then they should hire new very willing people that will deliver great customer service.

Fact of the matter is that the so called "CO philosophy" isn't making the new United any money right now.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos