nicholasjet
Topic Author

Air Canada Rouge Launch Trendy Uniforms

Mon May 27, 2013 3:50 pm

(Full catalogue of images in this link)

http://thedesignair.net/2013/05/27/a...e-launch-their-uber-cool-uniforms/

Air Canada Rouge have launched their new uniforms, bright and colourful, I do like it, but what do you think about the last comment on this site's review?

"However with this shift into more casual attire for cabin crew, I can’t help but feel there is a lack of authority in the outfits, meaning in an emergency the cabin crew will be hard to identify and also, makes it harder for them to take control of a situation on board if one arose with difficult customers, as uniforms always provide a subtle sense of authority. "

I have to agree, I think I prefer the uniforms that obviously look like uniforms don't you?

rutankrd

RE: Air Canada Rouge Launch Trendy Uniforms

Mon May 27, 2013 4:11 pm

Like the shoes trilby not so much

rutankrd

Mon May 27, 2013 4:15 pm

Just want a trim down the barbers perhaps !

AeroWesty

Mon May 27, 2013 4:20 pm

Those cardigans are going to make staff look like clowns in the cabin. They're so out of place, especially for the ages which will be wearing them. The Trilbys just complete the look.
International Homo of Mystery

timboflier215

Mon May 27, 2013 4:31 pm

Will only work with young, thin, geek-chic type people wearing them. Unless AC can select their crew using these criteria, the uniform risks looking just a tad sad

mtbga

Mon May 27, 2013 4:44 pm

There is also an article in the Toronto Star. Here is a link:

http://www.thestar.com/business/2013...new_flight_attendant_uniforms.html

I do like what they are trying to convey. Unfortunately I am not a big fan of burgandy and can not see why Air Canada likes to pair it with red (see old old old livery).

In the pictures, it does look good...just not sure if it will actually look good or professional when worn by "real people". Bit of a gangster look going on with the hat (IMHO).

kanban

Mon May 27, 2013 4:46 pm

Quoting timboflier215 (Reply 4):
Will only work with young, thin, geek-chic type people wearing them.

maybe they are only trying to appeal to geek/nerds with high water pants and too small cots and vests. The addition of the hats brings back the Blues Brothers.

jayeshrulz

Mon May 27, 2013 4:46 pm

I honestly feel like its a school uniform!
Sure trendy, but lacks authority, and reminds me of school. Damn!
Keep flying, because the sky is no limit!

GRUIAD

Mon May 27, 2013 4:56 pm

The ties scream AVIANCA !

chepos

Mon May 27, 2013 5:03 pm

I'm not sure this look will work for anyone over 40. If only young fit peeps are working those uniforms maybe it might work, that's not the reality for Air CAnada though.
Fly the Flag!!!!

Whiteguy

Mon May 27, 2013 5:09 pm

Quoting chepos (Reply 9):

I'm not sure this look will work for anyone over 40. If only young fit peeps are working those uniforms maybe it might work, that's not the reality for Air CAnada though.

Fly the Flag!!!!

Rouge is hiring their own flight attendants!

smi0006

Mon May 27, 2013 5:10 pm

I think it looks amazing!! I wish it was my uniform! I think it will look great on all sizes and shapes, and ages. I like the inclusion of shoes, as this is where a uniform is often lost amongst its employees , particularly female. A hat for men is different! I like it, but then I am a 24year old university student - I also work for a ground handling agency, so I wouldn't mind wearing a cool hat in or out of work, my more mature coworkers though.... I am not sure also about encouraging employees to not do up their ties and push their sleeves up, even for a low-cost carrier thats a little too casual.

As an Australian, it is very 'Canadian' to me, kinda outdoorsie, very liberal, bit out there, classy yet fun! I think it is a perfect uniform for a fun low-cost carrier and, it looks much nicer (although admittedly lacking in premium elements) then Air Canada's mainline uniform! I think that AC needs a new uniform, with the addition of uniform shoes.

brilondon

Mon May 27, 2013 5:12 pm

Quoting mtbga (Reply 5):
There is also an article in the Toronto Star. Here is a link:

http://www.thestar.com/business/2013...new_flight_attendant_uniforms.html

I do like what they are trying to convey. Unfortunately I am not a big fan of burgandy and can not see why Air Canada likes to pair it with red (see old old old livery).

In the pictures, it does look good...just not sure if it will actually look good or professional when worn by "real people". Bit of a gangster look going on with the hat (IMHO).

Bad paper, nice uniforms. I like the look although they could lose the hat, that looks stupid. I have always found that the hats that the F/As wear are stupid and they should not be part of the uniform.

As usual, the A-Net naysayers will come out of the woodwork and poo poo the uniforms.

[Edited 2013-05-27 10:14:47]
Rush for ever; Yankees all the way!!

AA737-823

Mon May 27, 2013 5:28 pm

The women look great, the men look waaaay too campy.

Quoting nicholasjet (Thread starter):
but what do you think about the last comment on this site's review?

Honestly, I think it doesn't make any sense. The flight attendants will be readily-identifiable as flight attendants. The end.

thegoldenargosy

Mon May 27, 2013 5:30 pm

I really like the female uniform. It's what an LCC uniform should look like. I think that most ages would be able to pull it off well. The male uniform just looks like someone trying to be a hipster and failing. I don't think it will wear well outside of younger FA's.

sqsfo

Mon May 27, 2013 6:51 pm

I think AC's rouge strategy would require to have a low-cost labor market to hire younger, "fresher" members of the labor market to make the strategy work for the low-cost division. Who knows, maybe such a move will push carriers to hire cabin crew that is more healthier and fit to fly, I often wonder on domestic flights, how some Flight Attendants pass there medical, and fitness tests! Not that I am being materialism or a crass, but yes it is all about that image and attracting customers to choose your product over the competition, and some eye candy never hurts  

Going back to the Uniform, I think they look very nice, elegant, yet simplistic and easier to move in! I have always criticized North American Carriers lack of (or lost) iconization, and this new moves definitely is suggestive of the contemporary arts, and image of Air Canada. Because the Cabin attendants will be the only people with that uniform, identifying them in case of an emergency wouldn't be hard! Not to mention the name badge, and if all else fails, Flight attendant's directing passengers in case of an emergency and taking charge should sure be a sign of who to take direction from!

A346Dude

Mon May 27, 2013 7:07 pm

This new uniform is laughable. Truly terrible, I can't believe they are going to wear this.
You know the gear is up and locked when it takes full throttle to taxi to the terminal.

canadianpylon

Mon May 27, 2013 7:16 pm

Quoting thegoldenargosy (Reply 14):
The male uniform just looks like someone trying to be a hipster and failing

That was the first thing I thought when I saw them. Total hipster. I can't even ironically like them...
Always looking for the longest route with the most transfers.

faddypainter

Mon May 27, 2013 7:46 pm

Interesting Soviet-esque cap badge for the FO there.

aer

Mon May 27, 2013 7:50 pm

John Fluevog shoes??? Wow, those are expensive for a uniform; cool but expensive. About USD$250+ the pair.

And the ties do scream Avianca.

[Edited 2013-05-27 12:52:33]
nice and spacious airports in need of new airlines and flights... GUA or FRS anyone?... anyone at all?

DeltaMD90

Mon May 27, 2013 7:57 pm

Well I'm young but I wouldn't consider myself "trendy..." and that being said, I think they look very ugly. Maybe I don't have an eye for trendiness, who knows. I personally like more "professional looking" uniforms but you can look professional without being bland. I think DL does a good job at that (vs UA's new uniforms which just look professional but are very bland.)

I don't know, does anyone else think they look kinda goofy?
Ironically I have never flown a Delta MD-90 :)

polaris

Mon May 27, 2013 8:01 pm

Excellent uniform for Air Canada's leisure division and for the more youthful attendants on Rouge!

SpaceshipDC10

Mon May 27, 2013 8:04 pm

I like them, both men and women.

Quoting nicholasjet (Thread starter):
I have to agree, I think I prefer the uniforms that obviously look like uniforms don't you?

Rouge uniforms still look more like uniforms than what was tried by AC and CP during the '70s with their "non-uniforms" uniform. Several airlines, mostly or only LCC, have had their employees wore polo shirts. In Europe, Lauda Air flight attendants were dressed with jeans at one time.

Quoting whiteguy (Reply 10):

A necessary step for a LCC.

AeroWesty

Mon May 27, 2013 8:08 pm

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 20):
I don't know, does anyone else think they look kinda goofy?

If the men kept their sleeves rolled down, buttoned the sweater at the bottom, ditched the hat and added 20 years, it wouldn't look half bad. The model in the jacket and hat which covers the sweater, looks much more age-appropriately stylish, even a look which could span quite a number of decades of age.
International Homo of Mystery

dforce1

Mon May 27, 2013 8:21 pm

I am truly not impressed by the uniforms but what I am impressed by is Air Canada's decision to invest in training by Disney for all of their Rouge flight attendants down in Florida. This seems to be quite a unique and innovative approach that could leave a much better perception of Air Canada customer service. Has anyone else heard of an airline doing this? While I appreciate the fresh approach applied to Rouge, I think that Air Canada mainline and Air Canada Express flight attendants need the Disney training more!

"Air Canada rouge flight attendants will receive customized service excellence training at the Disney Institute in Florida in addition to industry-leading safety and regulatory training from Air Canada at its Toronto and Montreal training centers."

“We’re investing in the Disney Institute’s service excellence training to ensure our customers’ vacations truly start when they board our aircraft. By offering exceptional customer service, uncompromising safety, a relaxed inflight environment and a host of Air Canada and Air Canada Vacations benefits, we’re confident Air Canada rouge will soon be the leading choice for leisure travel.”

http://worldairlinenews.com/2013/05/...canada-rouge-unveils-its-uniforms/

DeltaMD90

Mon May 27, 2013 8:26 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 23):

I think I narrowed it down to the gray, just looks odd. And with the models they chose, it looks like they were trying to make them look like a bunch of hipsters. But again, I'm hardly into fashion. I wear plain dark t-shirts and jeans or shorts so maybe I'm not the best judge. I'm more impressed with professional looking outfits anyway
Ironically I have never flown a Delta MD-90 :)

TeamintheSky

Mon May 27, 2013 8:26 pm

Hi All,

Rarely do I stray into discussions that are not about a SkyTeam airline as I like to stick to what I know; however, looking at the link has compelled me to comment.

What the heck are they thinking? If they want to attend an art school in Toronto or NYC, by all means, go for it, but this drive to casual uniforms is absurd in my own humble opinion. In my eyes, when FR flight attendants look more professional than you, that is a problem. While my office has casual or jeans day occasionally, normally I am expected in a suit or at least in business casual; if accountants can dress professionally, I would presume that people that are responsible for others safety should as well.

Regards,

Team
Since 2010: DL, KL, AF, WX, IG, FR , FL, U2, AK, BA, OK, UX, VS, VN, K6, AT, US, AY, BE, EI, LG, AZ, 9W, SG, AA, JL, W6

nclmedic

Mon May 27, 2013 8:32 pm

Wait, the kids from Glee work for an airline now?

Quoting GRUIAD (Reply 8):
The ties scream AVIANCA !

Exactly what I thought!

That said, I like that AC have tried to do something a bit different. The burgundy isn't my favourite, but still miles better than the hideous new QF uniforms, or the laughable UA uniforms that apparently warranted a 'product launch'!

They do look like a Glee choir, but hey it's different.

PRAirbus

Mon May 27, 2013 10:01 pm

Very cool, refreshing! Kudos for the designing team!  . Wow

CdnCactus

Mon May 27, 2013 10:34 pm

Hipsters are taking over the world. Vancouver is swarming with them.

Personally I'm indifferent. Rouge is supposedly a casual, LLC outfit anyway. That said, Fluevog shoes?? They are comfortable, durable and cool to the extreme but you can fly somewhere and back for less than what you'll pay for a pair. Not so LCC there.

brilondon

Mon May 27, 2013 10:35 pm

Quoting SQSFO (Reply 15):
I think AC's rouge strategy would require to have a low-cost labor market to hire younger, "fresher" members of the labor market to make the strategy work for the low-cost division. Who knows, maybe such a move will push carriers to hire cabin crew that is more healthier and fit to fly, I often wonder on domestic flights, how some Flight Attendants pass there medical, and fitness tests! Not that I am being materialism or a crass, but yes it is all about that image and attracting customers to choose your product over the competition, and some eye candy never hurts  

That is OK if you are running a bar, but I would just like to point out the failure of Hooters Air a few years ago about having "eye candy" as you put it for the F/As.

SpaceshipDC10

Mon May 27, 2013 10:40 pm

Quoting CdnCactus (Reply 29):
They are comfortable, durable and cool to the extreme but you can fly somewhere and back for less than what you'll pay for a pair. Not so LCC there.

What's the point to be a LCC if you have to invest time and time again for cheap shoes that wont last for long when you can simply buy some more expensive that will last longer. Buy for cheap doesn't always mean saving.

EricR

Mon May 27, 2013 10:59 pm

Terrible, nerdy look.

threepoint

Mon May 27, 2013 11:21 pm

Quoting CdnCactus (Reply 29):
Hipsters are taking over the world. Vancouver is swarming with them.

Personally I'm indifferent. Rouge is supposedly a casual, LLC outfit anyway. That said, Fluevog shoes?? They are comfortable, durable and cool to the extreme but you can fly somewhere and back for less than what you'll pay for a pair. Not so LCC there.

Vancouver is swarming with hipsters today, Portland was swarming with them a few years ago, and soon they'll be replaced with whatever new lifestyle is next in the pipe, leaving us to mock the uniforms as "soooo 2013..."

While Fluevog shoes generally retail for a decent sum, you can bet the bulk wholesale price makes them a viable option.
The nice thing about a mistake is the pleasure it gives others.

PEK777

Mon May 27, 2013 11:28 pm

i am not impressed with these uniforms. I hate this whole 'hipster thing. a bunch of 'creative' types who can't cut it in the real world.

[Edited 2013-05-27 16:32:51]

b727fa

Tue May 28, 2013 1:29 am

>>That is OK if you are running a bar, but I would just like to point out the failure of Hooters Air a few years ago about having "eye candy" as you put it for the F/As.
My comments/opinions are my own and are not to be construed as the opinion(s) of my employer.

N202PA

Tue May 28, 2013 1:53 am

Those uniforms look just plain ridiculous. Clown suits would be better.

MaverickM11

Tue May 28, 2013 4:51 am

Dumb uniforms for a dumb idea. Why the hell not. Put a bird on it! 
E pur si muove -Galileo

RyanairGuru

Tue May 28, 2013 5:08 am

What is it with airlines and Trilby hats at the moment?

Quoting FaddyPainter (Reply 18):
Interesting Soviet-esque cap badge for the FO there.

It looks like it was designed by Comrade Lenin himself   

Quoting TeamInTheSky (Reply 26):
when FR flight attendants look more professional than you, that is a problem

I'm sorry, but Ryanair crew look [admittedly, very surprisingly] very professional. IMHO it's one of the smartest LCC uniforms out there.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

Aeri28

Tue May 28, 2013 5:49 am

Ive always like the cardigan look and these look good. I'm more focused on the mens though. The colors work well. I do think the shoes will get tired after awhile and me, always wearing black shoes, would never get used to these... Too bad there wasn't a black pants/black shoes choice. Grey pants will show stains (and sometimes where you don't want to see them). I'm sure the same crowd bemoaning these would do so if there were a navy cardigan and gray pants and blue tie.

Yes, it does have airs of being a school uniform, but primarily it is a uniform. It's fun, casual-ish, and appropriate for the market its intended.

tonystan

Tue May 28, 2013 5:51 am

Just horrific!

And this is designed on a current style that is going to age in no time!
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

kordcj

Tue May 28, 2013 6:26 am

I thought the uniforms looked really casual and comfortable. They aren't going to be flying/serving VIPs on YYZ-HKG type routes, so these uniforms align with the type of airline Rouge is meant to be. The uniform has a warm, casual, inviting look to it. The ties do scream Avianca though.
The most obvious proof for intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't tried to contact us.

MaverickM11

Tue May 28, 2013 6:44 am

Quoting tonystan (Reply 40):
And this is designed on a current style that is going to age in no time!

I think the trends will outlast Rouge 
E pur si muove -Galileo

airportugal310

Tue May 28, 2013 7:30 am

No hipster would want to work with an airline associated with a big corporation...too mainstream.

Will PBR be served on board?

Are wayfarer sunglasses part of the uniform?

Too many questions..
I sell airplanes and airplane accessories

Carfield

Tue May 28, 2013 7:57 am

Read this from the article:
"In an unusual agreement, Rouge will charge the flight attendants for a portion of the training costs. The airline will deduct $49 a month for three years from the flight attendants’ gross wages, and if they leave before that time, the flight attendants must pay back what is owed."

What happened if Rouge "disappears" within three years of operation, or being "absorbed" into a mainline operation? Will the F/As still need to pay back the training?

Disney - not my cup of tea, but at least AC gives it a try. It will be interesting to see how they transform a cramped Boeing 767 into a "stage?

The uniform looks pretty cool but not sure if the hat is necessary! Head-dress is popular with a number of Asian (Asiana/Air China) and Middle Eastern airlines (but that has a cultural component), and if I am correct, the hat will have to be removed during takeoff and landing! It will look pretty cool if they are worn during greeting. However I can't imagine the F/As will wear them during service. It looks nice but if the F/As will not likely wear them most of the times, it seems quite wasteful. But anyway, it is better than wearing a baseball cap. Maybe I am old fashioned! Wearing a tie loosely is okay if you are going clubbing or a night out, but not acceptable as as cabin staff! They make you look unprofessional!

If most of the F/As look like those modeling the new uniform, I will love to fly Rouge. The boys look pretty cute. LOL!

Now I can't wait to read the first trip report on Rouge!

Thanks for sharing!
Carfield

nicholasjet
Topic Author

Tue May 28, 2013 9:41 am

I guess people just don't want a uniform to look like a uniform anymore (even United's new uniform just lookalike a suit)...

*sigh*

brilondon

Tue May 28, 2013 10:14 am

Quoting kordcj (Reply 41):
The ties do scream Avianca though.
Quoting nicholasjet (Reply 45):

I don't get the tie and the hat. But I do like the new uniforms other than that.

CaptCufflinks

Tue May 28, 2013 11:19 am

Quoting whiteguy (Reply 10):

Where from? A Taylor Swift fan club?!

Terrible!

RyanairGuru

Tue May 28, 2013 11:30 am

Quoting CaptCufflinks (Reply 47):
Where from? A Taylor Swift fan club?!

That's definitely one of the better comments I've read on here 
(and given their name its somewhat more likely!)
Worked Hard, Flew Right

SeaMeFly

Tue May 28, 2013 12:17 pm

i personally like their new uniform... totally apart from the other group and look fun !!! way to go ACR ! ;p whatever their call sign is lol...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos