Miami
Topic Author

Rumor: EK To Launch MIA

Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:16 pm

EK was apparently rumored to launch MIA in October or November of this year.

Thoughts?
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

AeroWesty

RE: Rumor: EK To Launch MIA

Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:22 pm

Tired "Leak of the Week".

LEAK of the Week: Emirates to launch routes to Boston, Miami and Stockholm; Chicago on radar

And that was from January! Jeez, this just isn't news any longer. One day it will happen. Perhaps.
International Homo of Mystery

crAAzy

Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:24 pm

I thought I read this post last night and there were several other replies. It this a repeat posting?

luckyone

Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:44 pm

How many times do we need to discuss this...

cedarjet

Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:01 pm

MIA is happening this year. Fact.

I don't know about ORD but the US Dept of Transportation has long been that where possible, they want at least two airlines on any particular route; even though EY op to Abu Dhabi not Dubai, it's the same country and the two cities are only 50 mi apart. So I am sure the authorities at the western end of the route will welcome EK with open arms to ORD.

Plenty of room in North America for the Big Three from the sandbox - when will we see EY in California, when will Canada get the stick out of it's ass?
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

Miami
Topic Author

Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:25 pm

Quoting cedarjet (Reply 8):

How come you think it will happen this year?   
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

777way

Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:50 pm

I heard Oslo is due from February, anything on that?

Miami
Topic Author

Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:44 pm

Quoting 777way (Reply 11):

As far as I know, EK plans to launch BOS, MIA and ARN which already has been announced.

Next potential route plan was ORD. Not quite sure about OSL at the moment.

jfk777

Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:52 pm

Its about bloody time, did Emirates really need to go to DFW after flying to Houston ? Miami brings the whole of Latin America they may fly to directly next. Bogota, Caracas and Mexico are all one-stop via Miami on EK. Though one-stop to Dubai is possible from many Latin Cities it would be on Air France or Lufthansa most likely. Emirates will bring a whole new part of the world to Miami, one never served from there. Could Qatar be far beind since MIA is a Onewrold hub.

Miami
Topic Author

Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:04 pm

Quoting jfk777 (Reply 13):
Its about bloody time, did Emirates really need to go to DFW after flying to Houston ? Miami brings the whole of Latin America they may fly to directly next. Bogota, Caracas and Mexico are all one-stop via Miami on EK.

I'm sure EK will have a lot of connecting flights from MIA into to Latin America. As MIA is the leading entry into the US for Latin America.

Quoting jfk777 (Reply 13):
Could Qatar be far beind since MIA is a Onewrold hub.

I don't think QR is far behind. Chris Mangos (Marketing Division Director) told me QR is expected to come to MIA in 2014-2015. He told me now that QR is joining Oneworld, MIA is a likely destination.

Qatar Airways to Add More U.S. Cities as a Oneworld Member:

“And we have plans to expand to other [U.S.] destinations, in close consultation with our oneworld partner,” Al Baker added. Al Baker did not refute the idea – expressed in a journalist’s question – that Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport and Miami International Airport could be two likely additional Qatar Airways destinations.

Source: http://www.airlinesanddestinations.c...e-u-s-cities-as-a-oneworld-member/

adamh8297

Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:19 pm

Its not loaded yet so if they decided to launch Nov or Dec you may be right.

I don't know about ORD but the US Dept of Transportation has long been that where possible, they want at least two airlines on any particular route; even though EY op to Abu Dhabi not Dubai, it's the same country and the two cities are only 50 mi apart. So I am sure the authorities at the western end of the route will welcome EK with open arms to ORD.

US and UAE have open skies so EY could start JAX-AUH tomorrow if it wished to.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AM, BA, B6, CO, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WN

Fastphilly

Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:31 pm

There is no doubt that MIA will get a Middle Eastern carrier but to say it will happen this year especially when a major population center like Boston is still working to get their first MI carrier it's not a slam dunk. We have all seen this happen before with other airlines rumoring to begin service and then keep delaying the launch.

How many times did SAS put the word out for SFO service just to keep pushing it back before finally launching the route last March.

It will happen but it may be longer than you think.

MaverickM11

Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:34 pm

E pur si muove -Galileo

usxguy

Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:36 am

Wow, if my airline ever starts looking at serving Miami, I'll definitely make sure we don't talk to Chris Mangos if his lips are THIS loose...
xx

Miami
Topic Author

Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:15 am

Quoting usxguy (Reply 14):

Why? What did MIA ever do to you?

Quoting N62NA (Reply 15):
Are you saying that EK will build a hub of some sort at MIA to provide EK flights from MIA to Central/South America?

I don't know. Why? Do you think the opposite?

usxguy

Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:07 am

the fact that an MDAD official is telling you what could be confidential information then you are posting it here, ALONG with the name of the individual is not something I'd take lightly, as someone who DOES work on the airline side of the fence. I'm grateful that people at other airports in Florida (Tampa, Orlando, Ft. Lauderdale) haven't discussed any of the projects I've worked on with them. If I were you, I'd go back and take out Mr. Mangos's name from your posts.

If Greg in Ft. Lauderdale or Justin in Tampa ever did that and our plans ended up here, I don't think either would have their jobs very long.
xx

Fastphilly

Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:10 am

I think the opposite. MIA as a hub for a MI carrier for their Latin American destinations are beyond unreal. Better hope for a EK 777 daily at this point and not get to far ahead.   

Fastphilly

Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:19 am

Quoting usxguy (Reply 17):

I understand about using somebody's name, but I haven't read anything in his posts that are top secret airline/airport information.These unofficial reports have been surfacing over the last few years. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to assume MIA could be EK's next US destination when the likes of LAX, IAH, DFW, SFO, IAD, JFK and SEA already have EK service

DocLightning

Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:11 am

It would surprise me if EK didn't start MIA. And if not EK then another.

MIA is a huge O&D market in and of itself. It's a major center of the fashion and entertainment industries, a sort of LA-East. The relatively close proximity of Orlando doesn't hurt. In addition, Miami is, IIRC, the world's largest passenger shipping terminal with more cruise embarcations than any other port world-wide. With all these industries, there is a lot of room for O&D traffic.

For someone trying to get there from, say, PER, it makes as much sense to go via DXB as it does via LAX. And for those on the Indian subcontinent, it makes perfect sense.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

MAH4546

Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:55 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 12):

I really don't see MIA happening for a long time--the market is just too small and cheap, and the big connections generally have one stops already.

Not the best yielding, but ridiculously easy to stimulate and growing at an impressive annual rate. And Emirates is launching Miami in the near-term; there's little doubting that. It's pretty much a done deal.
a.

Miami
Topic Author

Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:09 am

Quoting Fastphilly (Reply 16):

I'm just too excited. You're right. Just hope for a EK 777 to come into MIA first. Then we can talk about future hubs   

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 18):
It would surprise me if EK didn't start MIA. And if not EK then another.

It's surprising how the internet, not just here but other sites talk about EK to MIA. I'm sure MIA will get EK sooner or later. When is the question. Everyone has been saying 2013. But I don't know. There is no source that says 2013 is the year for MIA. Although it was "leaked" that EK would launch MIA. There is no reliable source.

When can we expect announcement? I say September. IF it is going to be announced this year.

AeroWesty

Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:28 am

Quoting Miami (Reply 20):
When can we expect announcement? I say September.

Pick your year.

Emirates Eyes Miami (by MAH4546 Oct 8 2007 in Civil Aviation)

Rumor: Emirates And Miami (by MAH4546 Dec 20 2009 in Civil Aviation)
International Homo of Mystery

mileage

Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:44 am

I will pop open a bottle of champagne the day EK launches DXB-ORD as my family does that route at least once per year and I swear that it's probably the hardest big city in the world to get to from DXB on EK.

There are other options of course (direct from AUH, DOH), but as someone (pathetically) determined to maintain elite status and put to good use 500k FF miles towards upgrades, I'm even willing to pay more to get fly EK.

The problem is that even getting to ORD on EK is a miserable experience.

The most "efficient" option would be to connect through JFK, but we all know that's a complete disaster, especially in summer. Last year, only evening thunderstorms in NY "saved" us from missing our connection thanks to ATC delays, a busted luggage carousel, business class tagged luggage arriving after economy, and having to change terminals.

The other interline connection options are via DFW or IAH, which turns your flight across to 16 hours before making the connection. Connecting through SEA and flying back eastwards is never efficient. (I'm facing the same choices this year... any experience connecting in DFW or IAH on the way into the US?...thanks)

Strategically, I think ORD is an important access point for EK to the midwestern markets that they need to address but with EY and QR already there it may be a secondary priority.

On another note, MIA is also an interesting discussion topic. Other than the fact that MIA is a popular destination on its own, the Lat Am connection may not be as interesting for EK. Having flown DXB-GRU/GIG/EZE, a lot of the passengers are people wanting to access LatAm from the far-east (and vice versa) WITHOUT having to connect through the US due to visa requirements (understanding that transit status may apply). MIA also isn't a great transit airport. I saw a number of people taking onward connections from GRU/GIG/EZE as well. However, could be a more viable option for central america or mexico, but then why not go through LA if heading to asia.

airbazar

Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:30 pm

Here's what I'm curious about: Why MIA instead of FLL? Is it for the prestige? Is the catchment area that different? I've been to the area a few times as a visitor and to me it makes zero difference what airport I fly in and out of. Even when going to the keys if FLL is cheaper, that's what I use. But the reason I ask is this: EK codeshares with B6 and B6 is building out a nice LatAm hub out of FLL. I do understand that EK can still interline with a variety of airlines at MIA, assuming the flight is timed for connections but that's just not the same as a codeshare, and we all know how big a hassle it is to connect at MIA from an international flight.

lightsaber
Crew

Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:09 pm

I'll believe it after EK announces. While MIA should be on their routemap, I would put BOS and ORD as just as likely.

However, the new A380s will free up some 777s for long haul...   

Quoting cedarjet (Reply 4):

Please share. Its been a *fact* since 2007...

Quoting Miami (Reply 9):
Qatar Airways to Add More U.S. Cities as a Oneworld Member:

This could be the spoiler. While MIA is strong for O&D, QR could compete with an A380 vs. an EK 77W if AA only cooperates with QR for connections...

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 21):
Pick your year.

Emirates Eyes Miami (by MAH4546 Oct 8 2007 in Civil Aviation)

Rumor: Emirates And Miami (by MAH4546 Dec 20 2009 in Civil Aviation)

I know there have been many more threads as well as discussion in other threads:

Here is 2011 speculation:
EK And MIA, A Matter Of When Not If? (by miaintl Oct 5 2011 in Civil Aviation)

In 2010 EK was supposidly hiring in the Miami area...
MIA And EK? EK Hiring People In The Miami Area (by miaintl Jul 15 2010 in Civil Aviation)

Quoting airbazar (Reply 23):
Why MIA instead of FLL?

Connections to South America.

Lightsaber
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!" - Mark Twain

flymia

Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:27 pm

Why MIA instead of FLL? Is

You can ask every other major long haul airline besides for Norwegian why MIA instead of FLL. MIA is the international airport of choice. First thing that pops into my head are lounges and terminals. FLL has very little to no lounge space. This is especially true in the disaster of an international terminal of terminal 4. I am not even sure if terminal 4 can handle a 777. Also you have runway issues. FLL longest runway is only 9,000ft. That is not much for a fully loaded 777 going on MIA-DXB. After that you have South American and Caribbean Connections. Yes FLL has some of those with B6 but no where near the amount AA can offer. MIA is closer to where the majority of international tourist want to go too. MIA more able to handle a large international flight like this one and any problems it may have.

But we should wait and see for an official announcement. EK at MIA is not an if it a when. But I don't know if that when is in 1 year or 10 years.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

MD80Nut

Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:14 pm

Quoting flymia (Reply 25):

It isn't just AA at MIA, the great majority of Latin American airlines serve MIA over FLL I live about the same distance from both MIA and FLL. While I like FLL better, it's because it's smaller, MIA rules the roost when it comes to international service. A much larger airport means more international flights. Size does matter in this case. 

Cheers, Ralph
Fly Douglas Jets DC-8 / DC-9 / DC-10 / MD80 / MD11 / MD90 / 717

Miami
Topic Author

Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:22 pm

Quoting lightsaber (Reply 24):
However, the new A380s will free up some 777s for long haul

You see an EK A380 at MIA in the future??

Quoting lightsaber (Reply 24):
This could be the spoiler. While MIA is strong for O&D, QR could compete with an A380 vs. an EK 77W if AA only cooperates with QR for connections...

So your saying a QR A380 to MIA?

Yes FLL has some of those with B6 but no where near the amount AA can offer. MIA is closer to where the majority of international tourist want to go too. MIA more able to handle a large international flight like this one and any problems it may have.

That's why AA chose MIA and not FLL   

airbazar

Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:24 pm

You can ask every other major long haul airline besides for Norwegian why MIA instead of FLL. MIA is the international airport of choice. First thing that pops into my head are lounges and terminals. FLL has very little to no lounge space. This is especially true in the disaster of an international terminal of terminal 4. I am not even sure if terminal 4 can handle a 777. Also you have runway issues. FLL longest runway is only 9,000ft. That is not much for a fully loaded 777 going on MIA-DXB. After that you have South American and Caribbean Connections. Yes FLL has some of those with B6 but no where near the amount AA can offer. MIA is closer to where the majority of international tourist want to go too. MIA more able to handle a large international flight like this one and any problems it may have.

Thanks. Now that I think about it, EK can already connect to LatAm on B6 via JFK. 9,000ft could be a problem. They would need a 787 for that  

jfk777

Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:40 pm

Here's what I'm curious about: Why MIA instead of FLL? Is it for the prestige? Is the catchment area that different? I've been to the area a few times as a visitor and to me it makes zero difference what airport I fly in and out of. Even when going to the keys if FLL is cheaper, that's what I use. But the reason I ask is this: EK codeshares with B6 and B6 is building out a nice LatAm hub out of FLL. I do understand that EK can still interline with a variety of airlines at MIA, assuming the flight is timed for connections but that's just not the same as a codeshare, and we all know how big a hassle it is to connect at MIA from an international flight.

Miami has a 13,000 foot runway and FLL is only 9,000 feet, an issue for what would be a 14 hour flight from Florida to Dubai. Miami also has the infrastructure to handle 777, FLL doesn't.

lightsaber
Crew

Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:07 pm

Quoting Miami (Reply 27):
You see an EK A380 at MIA in the future??

EK A380 to IAH or LAX frees up a 77L/77W for MIA. That is what I see.

Quoting Miami (Reply 27):
So your saying a QR A380 to MIA?

Not day 1, but eventually thanks to the connection opportunities.

Quoting airbazar (Reply 28):
EK can already connect to LatAm on B6 via JFK.

Very little... MIA will have far superior connections. But that will take other airlines working with EK... Airlines that aren't happy enough with MAD transfers...

Lightsaber

airbazar

Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:24 pm

Quoting lightsaber (Reply 30):
Very little... MIA will have far superior connections. But that will take other airlines working with EK... Airlines that aren't happy enough with MAD transfers...

Not on B6 it doesn't. That was the point of my inquiry. EK codeshares with B6 not with AA or any carrier currently serving LatAm from MIA. So if they really want to serve LatAm via MIA they will have to strike some sort of partnership(s).
And if these airlines are not happy with MAD transfers I can't imagine that their pax will be happier with a MIA transfer after waiting 3 hours to clear immingration in MIA  

lightsaber
Crew

Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:11 pm

Quoting airbazar (Reply 31):
EK codeshares with B6 not with AA or any carrier currently serving LatAm from MIA. So if they really want to serve LatAm via MIA they will have to strike some sort of partnership(s).

Agreed. That will drive the business case.

Quoting airbazar (Reply 31):
And if these airlines are not happy with MAD transfers I can't imagine that their pax will be happier with a MIA transfer after waiting 3 hours to clear immingration in MIA

But there are far more destinations from MIA. EK wouldn't drop MAD.   

Lightsaber

Fastphilly

Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:18 pm

Are we forgetting Boston here? They have no direct Middle East service as of yet and has an O&D pool on par with MIA. I don't see ORD getting in the way with MIA getting a EK bird since the Chocago market is already saturated with flights to the region, but BOS is the wildcard city that may pull off the upset.

[Edited 2013-06-24 11:21:02]

Fastphilly

Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:33 pm

Quoting lightsaber (Reply 30):
EK A380 to IAH or LAX frees up a 77L/77W for MIA. That is what I see.

I'd add SFO in the mix. They operate a daily 777 out of here and it's rumoured to start an A380 on the DXB-SFO route.

lightsaber
Crew

Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:20 pm

Quoting Fastphilly (Reply 34):
I'd add SFO in the mix. They operate a daily 777 out of here and it's rumoured to start an A380 on the DXB-SFO route.

I wouldn't be surprised if SFO saw the EK A388. I would be surprised if they do before both IAH and LAX...

Quoting Fastphilly (Reply 33):
Are we forgetting Boston here? They have no direct Middle East service as of yet and has an O&D pool on par with MIA.

Nope. Boston is just the most likely destination for EK in 2013 in North America. We've discussed BOS for EK as a side topic in multiple threads and pretty much consider it the most likely next EK destination. But this is a MIA thread, so we shall discuss MIA.

Lightsaber

Miami
Topic Author

Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:31 pm

Now, let's say QR does bring in the A380 to MIA. J17, which currently is the gate for LH, is the only gate that can handle an A380 at the moment. E8 is another, but is not prepared. And is currently the gate for BA. So if BA were to bring in the A380 it would be at gate E8. F17 is currently being used by VS, and H15 is being used for AF. 4 gates are capable of handling the A380. But only 1 is prepared.

Source: http://www.miami-airport.com/pdfdoc/a380-presentation.pdf

I did a little resource, MIA is planning to modernize the central terminal, finally! With that being said. 5 gates will be able to handle the A380.

Take a look: http://exmiami.org/index.php/miami-i...l-terminal-redevelopment-proposed/

Make sure you see the slideshow, it will show the plans.

As far as I know, this plan is still alive.

Miami
Topic Author

Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:39 pm

Quoting lightsaber (Reply 35):
I would be surprised if they do before both IAH and LAX...

EK is sending the A380 to LAX in December.

Quoting lightsaber (Reply 35):
Nope. Boston is just the most likely destination for EK in 2013 in North America. We've discussed BOS for EK as a side topic in multiple threads and pretty much consider it the most likely next EK destination. But this is a MIA thread, so we shall discuss MIA.

BOS and MIA were both "leaked" that EK would launch both routes this year along with ARN which has already been announced

1 down, 2 to go.

airbazar

Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:34 pm

Quoting Fastphilly (Reply 33):
Are we forgetting Boston here?

I don't think BOS and MIA are mutually exclusive but this is a thread about MIA so it's understandable that people are not talking about BOS   Nevertheless I think that BOS is probably a smaller and much more fragmented market in terms of market to the sub-continent and Middle East, and is already well covered by multiple 1 stop routes. And if QR and TK do start BOS next year one could argue that BOS would be saturated.

LAXdude1023

Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:36 pm

Quoting airbazar (Reply 38):
I don't think BOS and MIA are mutually exclusive but this is a thread about MIA so it's understandable that people are not talking about BOS Nevertheless I think that BOS is probably a smaller and much more fragmented market in terms of market to the sub-continent and Middle East, and is already well covered by multiple 1 stop routes. And if QR and TK do start BOS next year one could argue that BOS would be saturated.

BOS-Middle East/Subcontinent is much larger than MIA-Middle East/Subcontinent.
It is what it is...

Miami
Topic Author

Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:47 am

Quoting LAXdude1023 (Reply 39):
BOS-Middle East/Subcontinent is much larger than MIA-Middle East/Subcontinent.

Source?

I would like to see some information stating that BOS- Middle East/Subcontinent is "much larger" than MIA-Middle East/Subcontinent

adamh8297

Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:27 am

Quoting Miami (Reply 40):
http://www.brookings.edu/research/interactives/aviation

2011 MIDT Data

Divide all annual passenger numbers by 365 and then by 2 to get PDEW. "Less thans" are added in since the report only gives top 200 markets in each metro area of US.

DXB

BOS 13704
MIA 11961

DEL

BOS 36905
MIA 13971

BOM

BOS 39502
MIA 20221

HYD

BOS 14557
MIA Less than 5198

BLR

BOS 23281
MIA Less than 5198

MAA

BOS 15115
MIA Less than 5198

AUH

BOS 5279
MIA Less than 5198

BEY

BOS 26146
MIA 9841

TLV (never to be served by EK but makes for a good connection in IST with TK)

BOS 54702
MIA 81289

MNL is also much larger from MNL (48441 vs 11542). Highly likely that EK would grab some of this traffic however.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AM, BA, B6, CO, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WN

chrisnh

Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:32 am

One thing EK has that some of the other carriers don't: airplanes. And because they have planes that can do Boston or Miami or any other city in this 'Rumor Carnival,' they can turn on a dime and simply launch service. Turkish was first to 'formally' (or semi-formally) announce Boston, but legally their government obligated them to say so. But they need to wait for a suitable plane, something that Emirates doesn't.

And what of Qatar? Could they trump Emirates to Boston or Miami? I suppose the first-to-market race is between those two.

adamh8297

Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:51 am

Should state MNL is much larger from MIA.

[Edited 2013-06-24 19:52:19]

Miami
Topic Author

Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:04 am

Quoting adamh8297 (Reply 41):

MIA gives better opportunities, and not just MIA. The entire city of Miami, South Florida, and the entire Florida.

I would love for EK to start connecting flights from MIA. But I don't think we will see that anytime soon. But MIA would be a better connecting city for EK than BOS.

I of course love my city. Miami is a great place. I'm not saying Boston isn't. Boston is a very nice place. Considering that I'm a Boston fan. I love Boston, but for tourist I personally think Miami is better.

Beautiful beaches, family-friendly attractions like Disneyworld, and the Latino culture and style of Miami make Florida, also known as the "Sunshine State," one of the most popular states in the U.S. for visitors.

Miami has: 39,500,000, visitors

Nearly 3 million of Miami’s visitors came from overseas.

The numbers never lie.   

adamh8297

Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:44 am

Quoting Miami (Reply 44):
But MIA would be a better connecting city for EK than BOS.

You are right in terms of connections available but EK is having their global hub DXB to be the connecting city: MIA and BOS are just spokes and the extra connections whether it be an AA interline in MIA or a B6 codeshare out of BOS give a bit of a boost to the flight.

I love Boston, but for tourist I personally think Miami is better.

The numbers I showed you pretty much show you that the businessman in Bangalore probably prefers (and sometimes needs) to go to BOS due to technology and biomedical industries etc.

MaverickM11

Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:58 am

But MIA would be a better connecting city for EK than BOS.

BOS has the much larger local market; why would EK go to a city for better connections? It wants to keep as much revenue as it can on EK metal, not on any partner's connections.
E pur si muove -Galileo

SIA747Megatop

Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:17 am

Nearly 3 million of Miami’s visitors came from overseas.

The numbers never lie.

Aren't many of these from the UK, Europe and South America? Places where people won't connect through DXB to get to?
"I do not yet know of a man who became a leader as a result of having undergone a leadership course." - Lee Kuan Yew

Miami
Topic Author

Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:08 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 46):

I said: "I would love for EK to start connecting flights from MIA. But I don't think we will see that anytime soon"

Quoting SIA747Megatop (Reply 47):

Yes you are correct.

CO58

Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:34 am

Quoting Miami (Reply 37):
BOS and MIA were both "leaked" that EK would launch both routes this year along with ARN which has already been announced

Leaked by who again?