timz
Topic Author

How Did Manhattan Airline Terminals Work?

Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:00 pm

You remember circa 1940 the airlines built that terminal on the SW corner of Park and 42nd, then in the 1950s? they added the West Side Termianl near the Lincoln Tunnel (closed 1972) and the East Side near the Queens-Midtown. No idea how many other cities had them-- San Francisco's was on the SE corner of O'Farrell and Taylor I think.

Did your ticket include the ride from the downtown terminal to the airport? You checked baggage downtown? How did you know how far ahead of scheduled departure you had to show up there? Don't recall any mention of that in timetables.

rwy04lga

RE: How Did Manhattan Airline Terminals Work?

Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:05 pm

Quoting timz (Thread starter):
Did your ticket include the ride from the downtown terminal to the airport?

AFAIK, it was just a ticketing center for a bunch of airlines. There was a private bus company that served the various airports. I don't think your ticket included that ride or if the luggage was tagged prior to the bus leaving the ticketing center. That was probably done at the airport. I don't know for a fact, though.
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

Viscount724

Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:13 pm

Reminds me when BOAC, BEA, Pan Am and TWA had their own terminals in London, where you could check-in and be transported by bus to LHR (and to the city terminal on arrival). I'm pretty sure you could also check your baggage there but I forget whether you had to pay a separate fare for the bus. I used the BEA and Pan Am buses to/from LHR a few times in the 1970s.

nomadic

Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:37 pm

I used the TWA bus several times to/from LHR to their city terminal at Shepard's Bush, near the Kensington Hilton. I believe it was 5 pounds or $10.00us each way.

The mid-town airlines terminal in Manhattan did tag the luggage when you checked in. You could pick your seat as well (at least in later years) It was the old system of taking a seat tab from a wall chart and attaching it to your ticket envelope. The clerk in Manhattan would then call the airport counter indicating what seats had been assigned. People checking in downtown would usually do so well before the flight was open for check-in at the airport so it was not a frequent occurance to have the same seat given out at both locations.

Carey Limo operated the bus transportation to LaGuardia, Newark and later Idlewild airports.

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 2):
TWA had their own terminals in London
Quoting rwy04lga (Reply 1):
AFAIK, it was just a ticketing center for a bunch of airlines. There was a private bus company that served the various airports. I don't think your ticket included that ride or if the luggage was tagged prior to the bus leaving the ticketing center. That was probably done at the airport. I don't know for a fact, though.

AeroWesty

Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:44 pm

San Francisco's was on the SE corner of O'Farrell and Taylor I think.

The original one in SF was at the corner of Ellis and Mason, which was torn down in the 70s to make room for the Hilton tower expansion, replaced by the one at Ellis and Taylor. You could check your bags at the terminal, then buy a ticket to SFO on the 'SFO Airporter' bus, which ran frequently. It was very cheap, like $1.50 each way back in the day.

From outlying areas, there was the helicopter service on SFO Helicopter.
International Homo of Mystery

USAirALB

Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:46 am

CX had this in HKG in the 90s. Don't know if it still exists. Was called "CityCheck".
E135/E140/E145/E70/E75/E90/CR2/CR7/CR9/717/732/733/734/735/73G/738/739/752/753/762/772/77W/319/320/321/333/343

e38

Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:09 am

I don't have any first-hand experience of the downtown New York airline terminals, other than a story my Dad told me when I was a kid.
Around 1967 he had some business in New York and flew from Dallas (DAL) to New York (JFK) on Braniff International Airways (BN)--727-100 going up; 707 on the return. When he arrived in New York, he took a cab downtown, but for the return, he decided to check-in at the East Side Airlines Terminal.

The East Side Airlines Terminal must have been fairly large and was probably used by most, if not all, of the airlines serving the three New York area airports because I remember he told me the Braniff ticket counter was on the second level (mezzanine) of the building.
He DID check his suitcase to Love Field at the ESAT, then boarded a Carey bus to the airport, although he did not mention if there was a charge for the bus or not.
He also told me that in order for the luggage to arrive at the airport in time for the flight, there was a check-in requirement of something like 4 hours prior to the flight. That information may have been printed in the "general information" section of the timetable.

He actually enjoyed the whole experience of traveling by plane.

Good ole' days of air travel.

e38

codc10

Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:09 am

At HKG, most airlines have desks for the MTR Airport Express at the Hong Kong (Island) and Kowloon stations. On my last trip through a few months ago, UA still staffed their desk in Kowloon with an employee, not contract agent. This was extremely helpful in resolving an IRROPS issue, before I even got to the airport, that arose due to foul weather in EWR snarling outbound flights.

Anyway, the Manhattan airline terminals were large public buildings, along the lines of a Port Authority Bus Terminal, and were operated by the MTA. They contained small parking garages, airline ticket offices, coffee shops, waiting rooms and bus lanes for transfers to the area airports. Most of the properties were sold in the 70s and 80s to raise much-needed cash.

A few cool pictures of the East Side Airlines Terminal:

FlyPIJets

Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:30 am

I have a 1955 AA schedule that mentions east side airline terminal. Coach (bus I assume, and not stage   ) took you to LGA or EWR or IDL for $1.35. So, it wasn't a free service.

[Edited 2013-06-30 18:43:20]

Also a 1975 Delta timetable mentions to east side terminal. Fare was 3.50 to JFK and 3.00 to LGA.

[Edited 2013-06-30 18:51:44]
Rex Kramer: Get that finger out of your ear! You don't know where that finger's been!

Type-Rated

Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:56 am

That building exterior looked kind of art deco in design. What were the years of operation and what is there now?
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

jfklganyc

Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:07 am

So we went backward in service :/

maxpower1954

Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:08 am

Quoting type-rated (Reply 9):
That building exterior looked kind of art deco in design. What were the years of operation and what is there now?

1953 to 1985. Sold to developers for upscale apartment complex.

http://www.nytimes.com/1985/02/14/ny...st-side-sold-for-90.6-million.html

AeroWesty

Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:43 am

Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 10):
So we went backward in service :/

In some ways yes, but in 2013 how many people would be willing to give up a Town Car service to go through a downtown terminal to check in, and then ride the bus to the airport? The latter has no air of eliteness or privacy to it at all.

viscount630

Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:48 am

There was also a downtown terminal at Victoria Railway Station, serving Gatwick, for many years. Originally operated by BUA, later BCal and even BA for a while after the merger. Passengers checked in themselves and their luggage and then went straight down to the station platform to board a train right into Gatwick's own station. BOAC's terminal was almost next door to Victoria Station, but they used coaches to Heathrow. BEA used several sites and eventually centred Central London operations at the West London Air terminal on the Cromwell Road. Several European and UK airlines used BEA's facilities there.

Many UK airline timetables included town terminal check-in times and there was usually a small charge for the bus or, from Victoria, train, to the airport. Although baggage was usually checked all the way through, in early years an outbound customs check used to require passengers to identify their baggage and get customs clearance with it before proceeding to the departure lounge.

British Eagle also operated their own terminal in Kensington and for my first ever flight, as late as 1972, I well remember checking in for a Monarch flight at the North London Air Terminal near Euston (?) and being coached out to Luton.
RIP Dan-Air. Where the Secret was SERVICE.

sierra3tango

Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:29 am

Quoting viscount630 (Reply 13):
Many UK airline timetables included town terminal check-in times and there was usually a small charge for the bus or, from Victoria, train, to the airport. Although baggage was usually checked all the way through, in early years an outbound customs check used to require passengers to identify their baggage and get customs clearance with it before proceeding to the departure lounge.

Don't think you had to pay for either the BEA or BOAC buses (might have been in the ticket price), but the LGW train was a train ticket at full fare, but you could check in your baggage at Victoria

BEA started out with a separate double decker (+baggage trailer) from Cromwell Road for each flight outbound, which was a bit of joke as the bus could carry more PAX than a Viscount! From memory the baggage trailer was disconnected near the terminal and then the PAX were offloaded at the terminal to find their way to the gate. Subsequently they gave up that theory and just had a regular bus (every 10 or 15 mins?) to LHR, at that point my memory fails me as to whether you could check in at the terminal or the airport.

The worst one was BIA to the channel islands called 'railair?' which involved a train from Waterloo (included in ticket price) to SOU and hauling your baggage by hand from the station to terminal (more like a nissen hut in those days).

Type-Rated

Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:42 am

Quoting maxpower1954 (Reply 11):
1953 to 1985. Sold to developers for upscale apartment complex.

http://www.nytimes.com/1985/02/14/ny....html

Thanks for the link, that story answered all my questions.

dstc47

Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:15 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 2):
I forget whether you had to pay a separate fare for the bus

You paid directly for the BEA bus to the West London Air Terminal from LHR T1, indeed you did not have to be a BA passenger to use it. The baggage went into a trailer towed behind the bus. If I recall correctly it was then an awkward walk to the tube station up and down steps to continue your journey. Of course in those days, there was no direct underground connection to Heathrow at all, for many years the line ended at Hounslow West.

The entirely separate BOAC bus went to the former Imperial Airways Building in Victoria, just across from the Victoria Coach Station and it continued for many years after the merger of BEA and BOAC. This building is now the National Audit Office. Never used that one.

A bus in Aer Lingus colours, operated by the national transport company CIE, linked Dublin Airport to downtown Dublin for many years, initially departing from near the Aer Lingus head office, at that time in O'Connell St and later on from the (provincial) bus station in Dublin. The bus service remains but is no longer Aer Lingus branded.

LOWS

Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:19 am

OS still offers this in Vienna. If you are taking the City-Airport-Train, you can check in and drop your bags there. They get taken out to the airport with the train.

flyingalex

Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:11 am

Quoting LOWS (Reply 17):
OS still offers this in Vienna. If you are taking the City-Airport-Train, you can check in and drop your bags there. They get taken out to the airport with the train.

Not just OS. Many airlines serving VIE participate in this service.
Public service announcement: "It's" = "it is". To indicate posession, write "its." Looks wrong, but it's correct grammar

goosebayguy

Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:31 am

BA have a terminal at Victoria rail station for use when flying from Gatwick. You can check in and hop on a train. They take your cases. You have to pay for the rail ticket yourself though.

cgnnrw

Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:44 am

When I lived in DC I remember a lot of airlines had ticketing office on/around K Street NW. Always enjoyed going down and collecting timetables and inflight magazines, etc. Ah those were the days....
A330 man.

richardw

Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:37 pm

Quoting goosebayguy (Reply 19):

When were you last at Victoria Station?

Eljonno

Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:44 pm

Quoting goosebayguy (Reply 19):
BA have a terminal at Victoria rail station for use when flying from Gatwick. You can check in and hop on a train. They take your cases. You have to pay for the rail ticket yourself though.

I do remember this, but it has been closed for many many years now.

Are there any trip reports that explain how it all worked in a bit more detail? Maybe some photos even? Would love to see them...

AeroWesty

Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:54 pm

Quoting eljonno (Reply 22):
Are there any trip reports that explain how it all worked in a bit more detail?

It's been eons since I was through Gatwick, but the last time I was in the 90s, I used the AA check-in facility there. It all went like clockwork. There's some info out there using Google on both the BA and AA services at Victoria.

AA had the same 2-hour check-in time for both the airport and Victoria Station, so it saved considerable time.

Airline Offers Check-in At Victoria Station

777law

Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:56 pm

I don't think the airline bus service is dead yet -

When I lived in Seoul (2005 - 2007) KE had a bus that would pick you up at various hotels and train stations around the city and take you out to ICN. I think it cost something like KRW15,000 - 20,000 (US $15-$20). It was actually quite convenient and quite a good product. I don't know if the KE bus is still running - but it was operating for some time after ICN opened.
If its not a Boeing I ain't going

tockeyhockey

Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:29 pm

VIE has something similar to this:

http://www.cityairporttrain.com/Services/City-Check-In.aspx

We used it while visiting as tourists and found it to be a great way to get back and forth from the airport.

jumpjets

Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:30 pm

Wasn't there something similar at Paddington Station [London] when the Heathrow express train service opened. I think you checked in and left your luggage - but still paid your own train fare.

When the security concerns heightened after 9/11 I think it closed - but I may be wrong.

LOWS

Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:23 pm

Quoting jumpjets (Reply 26):
Wasn't there something similar at Paddington Station [London] when the Heathrow express train service opened. I think you checked in and left your luggage - but still paid your own train fare.

I know there is a check in machine where you can print your boarding passes, but only for certain airlines, at least now anyways.

prosa

Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:10 pm

This is the Corinthian, the very expensive apartment building on the site of Manhattan's East Side Airlines Terminal:
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

highflier92660

Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:15 pm

In Southern California back in the 1960s and continuing into the 90s, the Disneyland hotel in Anaheim had a large number of airline ticket counters located in a lobby area near the monorail hotel station. From old family photos, I've identified a large Western Airlines office to the left of the entranceway and a Northwest office to the right. Inside there was an American, AirCal (pre-merger) and a Pan Am counter along the left wall with a United Airlines ticket counter across to the right. In the heyday of the paper ticket this must have been a very busy group of airline reps.

Until 1968 there was a Los Angeles Airways helipad across the street north of the Disneyland hotel with frequent Sikorsky S-61 service from Anaheim to LAX.

Italianflyer

Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:58 pm

While this is a bit before my time.....I hear that Chicago had a similar set up somewhere in the Loop. From what I understand (from old timer employees) , UA/AA/TW ran a bus from the Loop to MDW and later, ORD. Anyone know or sure and the location?

FWIW the movie 'Airport' 1970 opens with an airline chartered bus from the Loop to 'Lincoln Intll' aka ORD aka MSP hehe.

psa188

Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:09 pm

Quoting PROSA (Reply 28):
This is the Corinthian, the very expensive apartment building on the site of Manhattan's East Side Airlines Terminal:

The image you posted didn't work, but here's a link:
http://thecorinthian.cityrealty.com/

Viscount724

Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:18 pm

Quoting sierra3tango (Reply 14):
BEA started out with a separate double decker (+baggage trailer) from Cromwell Road for each flight outbound, which was a bit of joke as the bus could carry more PAX than a Viscount! From memory the baggage trailer was disconnected near the terminal and then the PAX were offloaded at the terminal to find their way to the gate. Subsequently they gave up that theory and just had a regular bus (every 10 or 15 mins?) to LHR, at that point my memory fails me as to whether you could check in at the terminal or the airport.

One of the BEA buses with trailer. It's from the following 2006 thread.
BEA West London Air Terminal (by HS748 Jun 11 2006 in Civil Aviation)

sierra3tango

Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:29 pm

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 32):

thanks a real trip down memory lane

sierra3tango

Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:48 pm

Quoting dstc47 (Reply 16):
The entirely separate BOAC bus went to the former Imperial Airways Building in Victoria, just across from the Victoria Coach Station and it continued for many years after the merger of BEA and BOAC. This building is now the National Audit Office. Never used that one.

I did once, taking a girlfriend to LHR (going Montreal on a AC DND card) in Dec 70. It was a double decker, when we got to Earls Court (the Smithfield agricultural show was on), somehow a seriously mega sized bull had slipped its handlers and was running up the middle of the road pursued by our BOAC bus at crawling pace. He obviously didn't like the bus and kept on jumping onto pavements / sidewalks to get away from it- the reactions of the pedestrians who came face to face with a bull running straight at them was priceless. Imagine walking down a road in any city to find a mega bull
running straight towards you. Don't think anyone got hurt & the bull disappeared down a side street pursued by its handlers.

Don't think we paid for the bus, but its so long ago ........

CARST

Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:09 pm

Quoting USAirALB (Reply 5):
CX had this in HKG in the 90s. Don't know if it still exists. Was called "CityCheck".
Quoting CODC10 (Reply 7):
At HKG, most airlines have desks for the MTR Airport Express at the Hong Kong (Island) and Kowloon stations.

Like mentioned most airlines offer this city checkin at the MTR stations in Hongkong. And I know EY has a city checkin in Dubai city and Abu Dhabi city. I think there are more such city checkin desks available, probably some other users in the know will chime in...

CARST

Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:14 pm

Just found out SQ has a city checkin in Singapore and GA has one in Jakarta.

SN has them in Conakry, Kigali, Kinshasa and Monrovia.

RJ has a city checkin in Amman.

... well Google is your friend, I am just finished with page 1, so probably there are a lot more city checkins available.

flyboy_se

Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:34 pm

Swedavia, Swedish airports operator, has check in machines at the central station in Stockholm. Some of them are located next to the Arlanda Express airport train, and some inside the bus terminal.
But as far as i know you can only get your boarding pass. Really nice if you are travelling only with handluggage, and if you are flying on one of the airlines participating.

http://www.swedavia.com/arlanda/before-the-trip/check-in/
I prefer to be crazy and happy rather than normal and bitter

Doona

Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:39 pm

SK used to have a terminal by the docks in central Malmö, complete with a passenger catamaran service to Copenhagen Airport on the other side of the Öresund strait. Before the catamaran, they used hovercraft. Though it took longer, it was more fun than taking the train over the bridge as one does nowadays.

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

timz
Topic Author

Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:39 pm

Quoting e38 (Reply 6):
in order for the luggage to arrive at the airport in time for the flight, there was a check-in requirement of something like 4 hours prior to the flight. That information may have been printed in the "general information" section of the [Braniff] timetable.

Sounds like a good reason nobody would bother with the downtown terminal, if you could show up at the airport a half hour? before scheduled departure.

Anybody see a note like that in anyone's timetable?

Type-Rated

Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:33 pm

In Chicago the best known ORD bus was the one that left from the UA CTO (City TIcket Office) on Wabash near the Palmer House hotel. You'd also see a lot of pilots and F/A's in the area too going back to the airport for their daily schedules. Since you also saw a lot of them in the Palmer House Hotel itself I imagine that's where they were staying. Ah, those were the days.

Along Michigan Ave south of the river down to about Jackson Blvd was what I called "airline row". As you walked down the street you'd pass a ton of airline ticket offices for a lot of different airlines, both international & domestic. You could go in these and find that the employees were usually pretty friendly and if you asked for an airline poster they usually gave you one. But I don't remember any buses leaving from them.

I think the Continental (dark green buses) airport buses made a few stops at some other loop hotels after leaving the UA CTO on
its way to ORD. But they usually were pretty full. They also offered service to MDW later on when MDW became more active. We also called those busses the ORD Limo.

I remember all those ticket offices from the 60's & 70's. I think after deregulation they all started to disappear. I know in 2001 there weren't any left. Maybe someone else could say exactly when they all disappeared.

psa188

Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:00 am

Quoting type-rated (Reply 40):
I remember all those ticket offices from the 60's & 70's. I think after deregulation they all started to disappear. I know in 2001 there weren't any left. Maybe someone else could say exactly when they all disappeared.

Just about every big city had an "airline row" where most of the city ticket offices/offline sales offices were located. Depending on the individual airlines presence in a given city, the office could be street-front or an upstairs office.You mention Chicago; New York's were concentrated around the 5th Avenue/Rockefeller Center area, SF's were near Union Square and downtown LA had some although the Southern California city had some offices scattered around the Basin since LA is so spread out.

As you mention, these offices are basically all gone now. I can't say "exactly when they all disappeared" but I suspect it was gradual process throughout the 1990s.

Getting back to the airlines terminal discussion, the East and West side airline terminals were replaced by smaller facilities by the 1980s. On the east side, Carey buses loaded on Park Avenue at 42nd Street across from Grand Central; upstairs some of the major carriers had city ticket offices although bag check was gone. There were also some airline CTOs in the lobby of one of the old World Trade Center towers before 9/11.

Buses to EWR left from the Port Authority Bus Terminal during this time. I don't recall if there were CTOs there or not.

In later years Carey gave way to New York Airport Service and now NYC Airporter. http://www.nycairporter.com/

There were also scattered CTOs in upscale suburban locations. In the Palo Alto/Mountain View area, AA, UA and TW had offices on or near El Camino Real at various locations.

AVLAirlineFreq

Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:21 am

My first airplane trip that I ever remember was taking the train from Connecticut to Manhattan, checking in at the EA Midtown terminal (including checking our luggage), then taking a bus out to JFK. For a little boy growing up, that was big excitement.

mozart

Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:38 am

The Paddington check-in for Heathrow closed on the afternoon of 11 September 2001 and never re-opened.

There is a city terminal of Luxair by Luxembourg train station. Bus to the airport, but no more check-in.

There used to be Lufthansa check-in counters at Munich central stations from where the S Bahn leaves to the airport.

There used to be (still are?) Lufthansa check-in counters in Cologne and Stuttgart central stations where passengers checked in for flights from Frankfurt. Also terminals in Mannheim and Heidelberg existed from where a shuttle bus used to operate to Frankfurt airport.

There is an Air France check-in counter at Brussels South station from where people take the Thalys to CDG airport.

And so on....

milesrich

Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:44 am

Quoting rwy04lga (Reply 1):

Did your ticket include the ride from the downtown terminal to the airport?

I used to use the West Side Terminal when flying through Newark. You checked your luggage in Manhattan, and it was tagged, and got on a bus to EWR. I only went to Manhattan this way once. Arriving passengers had to claim their luggage at EWR, and then take it to the bus. At the time, 1963-1964, a cab ride to IDL-JFK was $4.00 to $8.00 from my residence at 66th and 2nd, to LGA between $3.00 and $5.00, the difference being whether the taxi used the Queensborough (59th St.) Bridge or the Triborough or the Queens Midtown Tunnel, but to EWR it was like $25.00 because the NYC taxis could not carry passengers from EWR back to Manhattan. Therefore, if you were going to EWR, you basically had to use the terminal or the Port Authority Bus which was cheaper but, let's say a little bit seedy. I was taught at age ten, do not go into a mens room at the Port Authority Bus Terminal.

LOWS

Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:30 am

Quoting mozart (Reply 43):
There used to be (still are?) Lufthansa check-in counters in Cologne and Stuttgart central stations where passengers checked in for flights from Frankfurt. Also terminals in Mannheim and Heidelberg existed from where a shuttle bus used to operate to Frankfurt airport.

The LH office in CGN Main Station was there when I was there last, in 2011. In Stuttgart, I didn't see it last September, but I didn't have much time to walk around, either. Also, with the Stuttgart 21 Project, they may have had to close it for the Renovation of the Station.

aquariusHKG

Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:44 am

Quoting USAirALB (Reply 5):

If I remember correctly the downtown check-in office is at the Mandarin Oriental hotel, or where the city ticketing office is The service existed during Kai Tak airport era, and was closed down alongside the airport replaced by the Airport Express check-in counter at the MTR station

dstc47

Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:21 am

Quoting psa188 (Reply 41):
now NYC Airporter. http://www.nycairporter.com/

Which sadly leaves you waiting outside in the open air near Grand Central and also uses rather small buses.
At least Carey had full size coaches, and IIRC, a waiting room.

psa188

Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:12 pm

Quoting dstc47 (Reply 47):
Which sadly leaves you waiting outside in the open air near Grand Central and also uses rather small buses.

I *suspect* that this is because there are fewer passengers using traditional airport-to-downtown express bus service. I think that the rise of shared-ride door to door shuttle services really cut into the market. For example, the "Airport Service" express buses that used to blanket the LA area when I was a kid seem to be gone now.

At any rate, the Widepedia article explains how "NYCAirporter" came to be:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Airport_Service

Viscount724

Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:19 am

Quoting psa188 (Reply 41):
Quoting type-rated (Reply 40):

Just about every big city had an "airline row" where most of the city ticket offices/offline sales offices were located.

During those years most carriers serving Toronto had a ticket office in the lower semi-basement level of the Royal York Hotel, then owned by Canadian Pacific (now the Fairmont Royal York). It was also the departure point for buses to the airport. And Union Station, that still handles long distance and commuter trains, is across the street with a pedestrian tunnel from the Royal York. For years it was the largest hotel in the British Empire/Commonwealth.