doulasc
Topic Author

Braniff-2 Buying Pan Am In 1987

Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:45 am

In 1987 I was living in South Florida and heard that Braniff-2 was attempting to buy Pan Am.If this merger
went through would Braniff or Pan Am name survive? I read in the Miami Herlad it would be a sad day for Pan Am.
Does anyone remember this? But the merger never happened as Braniff-2 went bankrupted in 1989,

AeroWesty

RE: Braniff-2 Buying Pan Am In 1987

Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:11 am

Quoting doulasc (Thread starter):
Does anyone remember this?

Yes. Two minutes on Google explains the whole deal, from soup to nuts:

Braniff to Merge With Pan Am If Unions OK Cuts : Deal Rests on $800 Million in Concessions Over 4 Years
International Homo of Mystery

USPIT10L

Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:17 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 1):
Braniff to Merge With Pan Am If Unions OK Cuts : Deal Rests on $800 Million in Concessions Over 4 Years

Yep, the unions reached a deal with Marty Shugrue and basically forced Ed Acker and Shugrue out on the street. The Pan Am board fired Acker (probably a buyout, actually) and Shugrue was asked to go too. There's a great mention of it in SkyGods, The Fall of Pan Am by Robert Gandt. Acker was literally lip-curtling furious at Shugrue, accusing him of "sabotaging the Braniff deal."
It's a Great Day for Hockey!

rampart

Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:12 am

By the time of that proposed merger, Braniff had established, 1 year previous, a 3rd hub at MCO by purchasing Florida Express. MCO became its 2nd hub when DFW was dropped as a hub, and HQ moved to Orlando, before the airline folded in 1990. The merger with PA made sense with the shift to Florida, though it would have been interesting if the merged airline would have maintained both MIA and MCO as hubs.

A BN 1 + PA merger would have been even more interesting, reuniting the Panagra routes. Neither of the CEOs would have been interested.

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 1):
Yes. Two minutes on Google explains the whole deal, from soup to nuts:

As with many topics on A.net, it's usually more interesting hearing from what the insiders here know or remember than simply using Google. Otherwise, half of the topics wouldn't exist.

-Rampart

AeroWesty

Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:17 am

Quoting rampart (Reply 3):
As with many topics on A.net, it's usually more interesting hearing from what the insiders here know or remember than simply using Google.

While I agree with you, which is why I always encourage people to look at the archives here for the rich history that many have contributed to over time, most threads of these types turn into "source?" arguments. There's absolutely nothing wrong with pointing out that there's factual information to start with from an easy Google search, and my post never said the topic couldn't or shouldn't be discussed.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
International Homo of Mystery

Max Q

Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:52 am

Two sinking ships tied together don't have any more buoyancy.

You know what would have survived ?

Neither.
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

rampart

Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:16 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 4):
While I agree with you, which is why I always encourage people to look at the archives here for the rich history that many have contributed to over time, most threads of these types turn into "source?" arguments. There's absolutely nothing wrong with pointing out that there's factual information to start with from an easy Google search, and my post never said the topic couldn't or shouldn't be discussed.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Fair enough, and good point. It was a good article for a source.

-Rampart

Type-Rated

Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:37 am

I didn't think that Braniff-2 was ever in really good shape enough to try to buy another airline. From what I understand Braniff-2 just barely made enough to keep operating for the time they did.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!