LAXintl
Topic Author

2013 DOT Small Community Air Service Grants

Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:23 pm

Well that time of the year again, when the DOT seeks to hand out money as part of the Small Community Air Development (SCASD) program.

SCASD is meant to help communities enhance air transportation by providing temporary financial support.

Grants can be utilized to attract new air-service by establishing revenue guarantees, cost offsets, or marketing support. Additionally grant funding can be utilized to help retain or expand current service, plus for various airport facility upgrades in order to make them more attractive for air service providers.

For this years grants, due to the federal budget sequester the available award pool funding was reduced to $11.5 million.

As in past years, the selection criteria the DOT shall consider includes:

o Air fares are higher than the national average
o The community provide a portion of the cost of the activity from local sources other than airport revenue
o Facilitate new or improved air carrier service to the public
o Provide benefits to a broad segment of the traveling public, whose access to the national air transportation system is limited
o Grant will be used in a timely manner.

Applications are due to the DOT by July 26th.

I'll post application summaries in this thread as they become available.

OST-2013-0120
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

SPREE34

RE: 2013 DOT Small Community Air Service Grants

Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:48 pm

Kill this program. Let the market place decide. We have spent enough tax money proping up commercial flying operations. If a town/city has the 'business" to support the flying, great, a company will serve the market. If not, drive or charter a 135 operator.
I don't understand everything I don't know about this.

flyinryan99

Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:57 pm

Quoting SPREE34 (Reply 1):
Kill this program.

Then kill every other grant program. I don't see how this is different than any other grant program out there. EAS is a different story.

I would like to know...how much money actually gets used? Not awarded, but used? I know TOL has applied for a couple of them and the Port has failed twice now to use the grant.

rampart

Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:59 pm

Kill this program. Let the market place decide.

While there are failures, there are also quite a few successes, where sustained commercial service continues beyond the grant. (I don't have statistics on what the success rate is, it would be interesting to know. I've heard it's as much as half.) In those cases of success beyond the grant, it worked exactly how it's supposed to. I don't think 100% success should be expected; indeed, this is government stepping in to assist with risk where airlines and communities are unable to assume that initial risk. Government incubation and other assistance in commercial ventures happens everywhere: pharmaceuticals, petroleum industry, automotive industry, aerospace (duh!), high tech. Some work, some don't. I guess it depends on one's view of the role of government and where one can draw that line.

-Rampart

planespotting

Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:19 pm

Kill this program. Let the market place decide. We have spent enough tax money proping up commercial flying operations. If a town/city has the 'business" to support the flying, great, a company will serve the market. If not, drive or charter a 135 operator.

I've said this many times in the past, but the United States is a country that is bound and determined to ensure that rural communities get more resources than they pay in for - that's why every state gets two senators no matter their population (among other things). If we want to maintain the rural lifestyle (which we do, because that's "real America," supposedly), it comes at a cost - one of which is that we pay a lot more to ensure air service to very small communities.

If the U.S. really was based on a free market economy, larger and larger cities would absolutely have all of the resources and very little would be left for the sticks. That's not how it works though.
Do you like movies about gladiators?

ytib

Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:24 pm

The SCASD application process is what the Boyd Group refers to as Christmas in July

mtnwest1979

Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:38 pm

I have an idea, just a thought.
How about wait until you have the proposals from the various cities and then post the thread.
This would direct conversation more directly to the proposals than the beaten to death 'kill the program, end all subsidies, etc' rhetoric that always shows up on here. Just a thought.

As for me personally, I like to see this program more so than EAS, since the actual locations have to somewhat wrangle over the money as opposed to let airlines get $$ to fly one person once a week to Dipstick,WV or wherever. I believe that the SCASD is a better use of the money. Maybe switch from EAS set up to same $$ being dispersed via SCASD outlet.

Oh, and I want $3,000,000 to help entice and market a flight between Pasco,WA and Richland,WA. Much like the Tidewater area of VA, the I-182 bridge over the Columbia River can sometimes have as many as 25 cars on it simultaneously! If one is in Richland, this can add 2 minutes to the drive to Tri-Cities Airport!  

Have a nice day, everyone!
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

RJNUT

Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:41 pm

Quoting ytib (Reply 5):
The SCASD application process is what the Boyd Group refers to as Christmas in July

...and his firm is the reindeer in front of the sleigh!

kcrwflyer

Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:44 pm

I would agree with you if the airlines were more open to trying things that they don't consider a 100000% sure thing and if they were 100% accurate at determining which markets need served and which dont. Because these decisions are all made, at the end of the day, by humans this isn't the case. There are plenty of routes out there that started because of the SCASD program that ended up being great for the airline, the airports involved, and subsequently the economies of both cities involved. It's safe to say that some of these wouldn't have ever happened without the program.

If you're from a big city then you probably don't see air service through the same eyes as someone from a smaller town that isn't awarded the same opportunities by the airlines. SCASD is the only way a CRW-IAH route would have ever happened, and that's apparently been good for everyone involved.

But to each his own opinion.

LAXintl
Topic Author

Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:30 pm

I think a valid debate over SCASD is the rather slim long term out comes it produces.

Yes there are certainly successes, and some markets have today enjoy air service thanks the incubator environment SCASD produces, however I can only remember about a handful of such cases out of maybe 100 awards the last 5-years.

Way too often once the money dries up (maximum 3-year term on SCASD grants), the experiment goes away and ends up having looked just like an EAS route where the government directly funded for the flying during the period.

In an industry where there are fewer and fewer potential airlines, and where there is a tidal shift away from smaller planes and communities anyhow, I am not sure SCASD is doing much except being a small sand castle on a beach next to a big ocean.

So with limited federal dollars is SCASD really something that produces a good return for the nation?

KarlB737

Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:31 pm

Kill this program.

Isn't Great Lakes Aviation totally dependent on this program. If the program went away not that it should or shouldn't wouldn't they actually have to approach markets and offer service.

LAXintl
Topic Author

Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:40 pm

Quoting KarlB737 (Reply 10):
Isn't Great Lakes Aviation totally dependent on this program. If the program went away not that it should or shouldn't wouldn't they actually have to approach markets and offer service.

Great Lakes lives on the Essential Air Service (EAS) program, a much larger and more expensive federal program.

FWAERJ

Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:55 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 9):
Yes there are certainly successes, and some markets have today enjoy air service thanks the incubator environment SCASD produces, however I can only remember about a handful of such cases out of maybe 100 awards the last 5-years.

Some airports have used their SCASD grants for non-air service purposes. FWA is one airport that thought outside the box and used a SCASD grant to equip the terminal with an AirIT CUTE system, which has led to more gate flexibility and easier handling of diversions from the likes of ORD and DTW. When DTW gets closed for weather and DL needs a diversion point, they can come to FWA and park at any open gate - same goes for ORD and AA/UA. Even G4 has used FWA as a diversion point after the CUTE system was installed.

That's not to say that FWA has used SCASD for air service; they got one SCASD grant for C8 (ATA Connection) to MDW. The route went away when C8 went away, but it was successful when it ran (FWA even bought and bulldozed a hotel to expand airport parking). More importantly, C8 proved that FWA could support an LCC (and they got another one two years later in the form of G4, which came thanks to airport authority incentives and not SCASD).

[Edited 2013-07-11 09:57:08]
"Did he really need the triple bypass? Or was it the miles?"

enilria

Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:24 pm

Kill this program. Let the market place decide.
Quoting flyinryan99 (Reply 2):
Then kill every other grant program. I don't see how this is different than any other grant program out there. EAS is a different story.
Quoting ytib (Reply 5):

EAS should be eliminated in every market where there is not another served airport within 150-200 miles by road. SCASD is just a perversion of the free market system. If a community wants to spend its own money to support better air service for economic development that is fine, but to take federal money to encourage airlines to move planes from one place to another is the height of waste. At the federal level it produces no net gain in economic activity and thus should not be a federal program.

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 9):

I think a valid debate over SCASD is the rather slim long term out comes it produces.

The fact that most SCASD grants go unused is indication of the flimsy viability of the whole concept and the award process.

Isn't Great Lakes Aviation totally dependent on this program.

The EAS guys are really really good at drying up a market so they don't have to carry any pesky passengers so that they can just fly more or less empty planes around with the taxpayer picking up the tab.

jamesontheroad

Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:13 pm

Quoting planespotting (Reply 4):
If the U.S. really was based on a free market economy, larger and larger cities would absolutely have all of the resources and very little would be left for the sticks. That's not how it works though.

If the U.S. really was a free market economy, then there would be no airports owned or operated by cities or counties. Compare your airport system with those over here in the UK, where aside from a few remote airports in the Highlands and Islands of Scotland, every airport is in private ownership.

Kind of makes me chuckle to hear the political right laying into Amtrak every year (a public transport system providing essential service to many remote communities that has to fight for every dollar of its funding every single year) while overlooking the amount of tax payers dollars poured into airport infrastructure.

Just my two pence, which works out about 3 cents these days   

LAXintl
Topic Author

Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:02 pm

Mike Boyd has a short video about the growing difficulties in developing viable SCASD proposals in an environment with ever fewer airlines, and the difficult operating economics of smaller RJs.

http://aviationplanning.com/insightinthree.phtml

=

capitalflyer

Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:57 pm

Rather than engage a political discussion about spending (better suited for a political discussion board) let's get back to the topic at hand.

What are some potential cities who may apply for grants? Are there rejected grantees that may try again this year? How did grants last year pan out for those cities?

rgreenftm

Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:04 pm

Do you think you could see something like a proposal to find a suitor for a BLI midwest/east coast route? With the recent success in BLI for AS, F9 and G4, it seems like the next step would be to push for something eastward.

Cubsrule

Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:36 pm

Quoting jamesontheroad (Reply 14):
If the U.S. really was a free market economy, then there would be no airports owned or operated by cities or counties.

Unless you believe that a free market economy requires that the government own nothing (hardly a defensible position, and certainly not the case in the United Kingdom), what's wrong with government ownership of airports?
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

CXA330300

Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:20 pm

I'm wondering if we're going to see more PenAir grants out of BOS? I've heard good things about their PBG services...
AC/AA/UA/DL/B6/WN/US*/CO*/FI/BA/IB/AF/SK/LX/Sabena*/TK/LY/SA/MN/SW/AM/CE*/CX/CA/MU/JL/SQ/TG/MH/KA/5J

LAXintl
Topic Author

Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:15 pm

Quoting capitalflyer (Reply 16):
How did grants last year pan out for those cities?

Lets take a look at the 2012 awards. I'll work off the summary that point2point posted in last years thread.

o Arcata-Eureka, California AVC New service, $370K, $750K, DEN, UA

o Asheville, North Carolina AVL New service, $400K,$300K, DEN, F9

o Bentonville/Northwest Arkansas XNA seek lower cost carrier, $975K,$1M, tbd, tbd

o Bloomington-Normal, Illinois BMI New service, $200K,$500K, NYC/DCA, tbd

o Burlington, Vermont BTV New service/marketing, $180K, $450K, ATL/CLT, DL/US

o Butte, Montana BTM Retension, $25K,$150K, SLC, DL

o Casper, Wyoming CPR Retain service, $70K, $100K, all current service at CPR , DEN/SLC/LAS, UA/DL/G4

o Champaign-Urbana, Illinois CMI New service, $425K,$6004K, IAD, UA

o Consortium of Block Island, Rhode Island and Culebra, Puerto Rico $250K, $595K, Cape Air

o Corpus Christi, Texas CRP Retension/marketing, $0, $340K, DFW/IAH/HOU, UA/AA/WN

o Kalispell, Montana FCA New service, $102K,$200K, LAX, G4
  but G4 had to drop service when LAX terminal issues cropped up.

o Los Alamos, New Mexico LAM New service, $68K, $272K, ABQ, New Mexico Airlines

o Medford, Oregon MFR Marketing/advertising, $20K, $150K, tbd, tbd

o Newport News, Virginia PHF Replacement, $1.6M, $2M, NYC/BOS, to attracted carrier, tbd

o Ogden, Utah OGD New service, $300K,$400K, AZA, G4

o Pendleton, Oregon PDT Retension/marketing, $5K, $50K, PDX, K5

o Punta Gorda, Florida PGD Marketing/advertising, $60K, $140K, tbd, tbd

o Redmond, Oregon RDM Resetablish lost service, $735K, $500K, SoCal, AA/UA/DL

o Rochester, Minnesota RST New service, $225K, $500K, DEN, F9

o Santa Maria, California SMX New service, $240K, $490K, DEN, UA

o Sarasota-Bradenton, Florida SRQ New service westbound/marketing, $315K, $500K, IAH/DFW/DEN, tbd

o Sioux City, Iowa SUX Marketing/advertising, $80K, $160K, ORD, AA

o Springfield, Illinois SPI New service, $170K, $250K, Florida/MYR/PHX/LAS, G4

o St. Augustine, Florida SGJ New service/marketing, $250K, $250K, tbd, G4/Silver Air

o St. George, Utah SGU New service, $300K, $550K, DEN, UA

o Telluride, Colorado TEX New service westward/marketing, $200K, $500K, West Coast, AS/UA

o Topeka, Kansas FOE New service, $1M, $1M, ORD, UA

o Tupelo, Mississippi TUP New service/replace, $25K, $75K, ATL, Silver Air

o Twin Falls, Idaho TWF Retain service, $85K, $550K, SLC, DL

o Walla Walla, Washington ALW Retain service/marketing, $59K, $250K, SEA, AS

o Williamsport, Pennsylvania IPT New service, $500K, $550K, IAD, UA

o Youngstown, Ohio YNG Reestablish service, $420K, $780K, IAD/ORD/DTW, UA/tbd

=

mtnwest1979

Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:11 am

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 20):
Consortium of Block Island, Rhode Island and Culebra, Puerto Rico $250K, $595K, Cape Air

Some months ago I asked 9K about the time it was taking to get service to BID and the PR locale announced. They responded that they were having difficulty in obtaining the appropriate a/c (Islander as I had read in proposal IIRC) that they would put it off to 2014.
Somehow I don't think this will come to fruitin, as much as I'd like to fly a BNI from PVD instead of going to Westerly,RI.
However, I also do not agree that 9K should get a grant when New England Airlines has been serving BID form Westerly for over 40 years.
Anyway...............
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

LAXintl
Topic Author

Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:39 pm

I've heard so far some cities that are applying include:

Tyler TX
Del Rio TX
Mobile AL
White Sands NM
Charleston WV
Gunnison CO
Klamath Falls OR.

Will await DOT to start posting the applications.

AVENSAB727

Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:49 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 22):

Tyler TX
Del Rio TX

I wonder if UA could re-launch Del Rio at some point.
Always look on the bright side of Life!

PHX787

Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:54 pm

Charleston WV

Now this is a bit of an eye raiser for me. CRW does need some service if they want to revitalize their economy, but I'm not sure who they can attract. the loss of the DL flight to CVG reportedly had a lot of negative impact.
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

AVLAirlineFreq

Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:43 pm

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 24):

Charleston WV

Now this is a bit of an eye raiser for me. CRW does need some service if they want to revitalize their economy, but I'm not sure who they can attract. the loss of the DL flight to CVG reportedly had a lot of negative impact.

Others with more intimate knowledge of the market can provide more insight, but my first guess was they'd like to replace the NYC service they lost when AA switched its CRW service from LGA to DFW. But since that's slot dependent (i.e., new service is not just dependent upon a grant and a willing airline), it may be something else.

For an airport its size, CRW has a nice amount of service with five carriers (albeit with NK at less than daily).

PVD757

Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:23 am

SJU-CPX and PVD-BID will happen. I suspect early 2014 but it is contingent on 9K getting aircraft for those short runways.

LAXintl
Topic Author

Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:36 am

Quoting AVENSAB727 (Reply 23):
I wonder if UA could re-launch Del Rio at some point.

Del Rio grant proposal is supposed to be for service to DFW with AA.

crj900lr

Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:39 am

Near the end before going out of business, Air Midwest flew a lot of EAS/SCASD routes. Some of them were:

DFW-JBR
PIT-LNS
DFW-HOT
MCI-to various cities.

And I believe a few out of SLC.

steeler83

Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:43 am

Youngstown, Ohio YNG Reestablish service, $420K, $780K, IAD/ORD/DTW, UA/tbd

Youngstown should try and rebuild its economy, thus potentially generating more demand for air travel. Right now, it's right smack in between two large metro areas. One already has a hub and a decent economy, and the other has a rather quickly growing economy as well as population.

Williamsport, Pennsylvania IPT New service, $500K, $550K, IAD, UA

I think this city is part of the push to reconnect many regional cities throughout Pennsylvania with Pittsburgh. Not sure of how or where I stand on this one.

I can see where this grant program makes sense, but in some locations it really does not. Sarasota, Florida? Tampa is right there. What could Sarasota possibly bring to the table that TPA does not?
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

crj900lr

Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:57 am

Williamsport, Pennsylvania IPT New service, $500K, $550K, IAD, UA

Why, when they already have service to PHL on US?

steeler83

Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:18 pm

Quoting crj900lr (Reply 30):
Why, when they already have service to PHL on US?

Do you suppose the new AA will hold onto it post-merger? If so, then what would UA bring to the table beside IAD? Then again, you'd be giving IPT options. Fly AA to PHL and connect to other O.W. destinations, or UA to IAD and connect to Star cities... I'm not sure what the O&D is like to either of those cities; I can't find any data...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

YNGguins

Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:52 pm

Quoting steeler83 (Reply 29):
Youngstown should try and rebuild its economy, thus potentially generating more demand for air travel. Right now, it's right smack in between two large metro areas. One already has a hub and a decent economy, and the other has a rather quickly growing economy as well as population.

Youngstown is smack dab right in the middle of the Utica Shale boom sweeping Northeast Ohio. Over $2 billion has been invested thus far, well before drilling begins, in various pipelines, mills, facilities to support the operations. BP has its Ohio HQ in Mahoning County (Youngstown) and many experts expect to see the area begin to take off in the next few years with drilling activities.

One carrier in particular has noticed this that I do not have the liberty to say right now. However, the use of the SCASD for this carrier would be necessary without a doubt.

Nonetheless, the leisure model at YNG continues to grow with Allegiant. They are announcing a 4th destination on Tuesday.

BTW, I am one of those people out there that does not believe United will continue to have a hub in Cleveland past 2016-2018.
I am PROUD to live in the greatest country on earth: The United States of America!

LAXintl
Topic Author

Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:57 pm

DOT is slow uploading the applications to their website, however I understand the following cities have also applied.

Oxnard, CA
Lawton, OK
Duluth, MN
Branson, MO
Stillwater, OK
Yakima, WA

=

ouboy79

Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:10 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 33):
Stillwater, OK

Grant is for American to DFW.

Lawton, OK

Looks like this one is to retain service on AA.

LAXdude1023

Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:32 pm

Stillwater, OK

Given the success AA has had connecting midwestern college towns to DFW, I think this would probably work even without a subsidy.

Quoting ouboy79 (Reply 34):
Looks like this one is to retain service on AA.

I would have thought LAW-DFW would have done better simply because of Fort Sill.
It is what it is...

mhkansan

Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:34 pm

Quoting LAXdude1023 (Reply 35):
Given the success AA has had connecting midwestern college towns to DFW, I think this would probably work even without a subsidy.

MHK is mostly military traffic, as is LAW, so I'm unsure if SWO will/ would see the same result. I'm not sure what the market for air travel is like there. DFW-midwest is strong and getting stronger as AA grows in DFW. There is a sold European departures bank now, alongside good connections to both coasts, and South America. From MHK, we get lots of people going DFW-asia, so in every direction the flows are good.

SWO has both OKC and TUL to deal with - it's right in the middle. It will be hard to sell the kinds of fares AA will need to sustain the service with WN so big in both cities - and now also in ICT - with lots of mainline service.

southsky

Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:10 pm

Tyler TX
Del Rio TX
Mobile AL
White Sands NM
Charleston WV
Gunnison CO
Klamath Falls OR.

I'm not surprised that MOB applied, but I'm unsure what they applied for... maybe DC service or NY service?

FWAERJ

Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:18 pm

Quoting LAXdude1023 (Reply 35):
I would have thought LAW-DFW would have done better simply because of Fort Sill.

DL couldn't make LAW-ATL work. That said, I can see where LAW struggles with the proximity to OKC and WN's dominance there. OKC is a relatively short drive from LAW.

I flew into LAW in 2010 (FWA-DFW-LAW and back) for a family reunion, and it is tiny - the lone holdroom could only handle a full CR2 or SAAB 340, the TSA checkpoint only opens up 30 minutes prior to departure, and baggage is claimed from baggage carts and not a carousel. If G4 hypothetically started LAW-LAS/AZA, that holdroom would need to be tripled in size.

ouboy79

Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:57 pm

Quoting FWAERJ (Reply 38):
DL couldn't make LAW-ATL work. That said, I can see where LAW struggles with the proximity to OKC and WN's dominance there. OKC is a relatively short drive from LAW.

LAW-ATL really didn't make much sense, but it was free grant money for DL to use. LAW-DFW has been ongoing for years now, but I think it is symptomatic of the problem with using jets on sub 300 mile routes.

Drive from LAW is roughly 90 minutes to WRWA in OKC on I-44...depending on traffic. Not terrible at all. The terminal is pretty small, but that isn't really all that shocking for an airport that has pretty much always had just commuter service to Dallas for years (at one point ASA did DFW for DL before the hub died).

Quoting FWAERJ (Reply 38):
If G4 hypothetically started LAW-LAS/AZA, that holdroom would need to be tripled in size.

I can't see G4 going to LAW. They tried SPS and failed within a month. It's probably more likely they will try to face WN again in OKC and see if attempt #2 works.

LAXintl
Topic Author

Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:49 pm

DOT is finally posting the apps.

Here are the first lot of submissions.

Bismarck, ND
Bismark Airport seeks $500,000 in US DOT grant funding matched with $500,000 in local funding to develop a minimum revenue guarantee program to introduce new network air carrier competition with access to one or more hubs.
With energy mining sector providing rapid growth in travel demand links a hub link to Dallas/Ft. Worth would would address a glaring current service need, or alternative reestablish eastward airlink to Chicago which is the 5th largest local domestic market in cooperation with American Airlines.

Boise ID
Airport and community requesting grant in the amount of $700,000 with local match of nearly $400,000 in cash and in-kind contributions for establishment of an east-oriented connecting hub. Due to current lack of market seat capacity, the growing demand of East Coast, traveler are disadvantaged and must often fly circuitous routings, absorbing higher fares. Airport has been in discussion with 4 carriers willing to potentially commence new Eastern hub air service and believes the revenue incentives, marketing assistance and fee waivers will help make such service a reality.

Wentachee, WA
Pangborn Memorial Airport seeks $200,000 in federal grant funds aided with $100,000 in local community assistance to better market and advertise its current Horizon Air service along with offer an incentive program, including fee waivers, start-up cost offsets, and marketing assistance for new air service outside the Pacific Northwest region such as less-than-daily, low cost, leisure-oriented service. (hint hint G4 to Vegas)

Joint Casper, Cheyenne, Cody/Yellowstone, Gillette, Jackson, Laramie, Sheridan, Riverton, Rock Springs, and Worland, WY
Wyoming Department of Transportation and its 10 commercial airports request $825,000 federal grant award, supplemented with nearly $5.0million in local funding for extensive, multi-year marketing, branding and promotional campaign to support of current and expand air services. Over recent years the states airports have experienced many service challenges due to industry volatility.

Branson, MO
Branson Regional Airport Transportation Development District desires $750,000 grant monies with $375,000 in local cash contributions to help reverse a 37% decline in airline departures in the Branson-Springfield market. With such cuts the underserved region heavily reliant economic activity of tourism seeks to offer a focused air service marketing, revenue and advertising campaign including targeting major markets like the Los Angeles basin.

MidAmerica, IL
St. Clair County seeks $200,000 in grant funding combined with $50,000 in local funds to offer marketing incentives to carriers launching service to new non-stop destinations. MidAmerica seeks to recruit low cost service for an additional Florida market, and potentially west to Las Vegas, Phoenix or Los Angeles. With catchment area of over 1 million, believes such service would nicely supplement current service to Orlando. (another request tailor made for Allegiant Air)

Charleston, WV
Charleston Yeager Community Consortium is requesting grant funds of $700,000 with local match of $170,000 to recruit and support new, low-fare nonstop service to Florida. The decision by Southwest Airlines to terminate AirTran service at CRW had an enormously damaging effect on traffic and fares to major points in Florida.

Grand Junction, CO
Grand Junction Regional Airport Authority desired $250,000 in grant consideration, along with $50,000 in local cash and in-kind contributions to improve air service access and reduce the need for travelers to drive to Denver or Salt Lake City.
Grand Junction seeks to increase the supply of year-round seats with additional air service to a western US hub.

More later....

LAXintl
Topic Author

Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:44 pm

Some more for tonight >>>

Appleton, WI
Outagamie County Regional Airport seeks $287,000 in federal grant funds supplemented with $185,000 in local funding to continue the airports strategic plan to provide community and airlines improved facilities by reducing service cost through development of share-use passenger processing equipment. Implementation of a common use facility will lead to improved efficiency and decrease in cost and entry barriers for new airline service particularly for LCC operators.

Fort Wayne, IN
Fort Wayne-Allen County Airport Authority request award of $600,000 grant supported with nearly $2.0mil in local cash and in-kind contributions to support access to major East Coast hub. Eastbound capacity from FWA has declined significantly leaving a significant need for the Fort Wayne community without nonstop service. Airport in partnership with American Airlines has identified opportunity for twice daily 50-seat CRJ200 service connecting the carriers PHL hub.

Duluth, MN
Duluth International Airport Authority applies for $700,000 in grant funding combined with $150,000 in local contributions for a regional marketing and business commitment plan aimed at reducing traffic leakage and help ensure current Chicago air service is self-sustaining.

White Sands, NM
City of Alamogordo with established record of air service to through the EAS program seeks $450,000 federal grant monies supported by $540,000 local match to establish a revenue guarantee pool and support marketing for standalone daily air service to Dallas utilizing regional jets on American Airlines.

Chicopee, MA
Westover Metropolitan Airport asks for $450,000 in grant award, with $308,000 in local cash and in-kind contributions to help fund marketing and ground handling offset to aid in reducing the financial risk for proposed Allegiant Air service to one or more new markets.

Del Rio, TX
City of Del Rio applies for grant amount of $500,000, supported with $490,000 in local contributions to aid in the establishment of air service to a major regional hub. Del Rio for period between 2005 and early 2013 enjoyed air service link to Houston which was discontinued as part of United Airlines express carrier restructuring. Del Rio has been left with no scheduled airline access forcing travelers to drive 150-miles San Antonio. American Airlines has indicated its interest in connecting Del Rio with its Dallas Ft Worth hub. While carrier does believe the market can become self sufficient, the grant would provide critically important mechanism to aid such prospects.

Concord, NC
Concord Regional Airport seeks $250,000 in federal grant funding aided with $100,000 in local cash contributions to aid with market and start up cost of less than daily low-cost leisure service to Las Vegas and points in Florida on Allegiant Air. Concord airport serves a unique catchment area of almost 700,000 people who today primarily rely on legacy air service from Charlotte.

=

FWAERJ

Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:18 am

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 41):
Fort Wayne, IN
Fort Wayne-Allen County Airport Authority request award of $600,000 grant supported with nearly $2.0mil in local cash and in-kind contributions to support access to major East Coast hub. Eastbound capacity from FWA has declined significantly leaving a significant need for the Fort Wayne community without nonstop service. Airport in partnership with American Airlines has identified opportunity for twice daily 50-seat CRJ200 service connecting the carriers PHL hub.

I could see this one coming - and not just because the AA/US merger will open up US hubs to FWA with minimal investment thanks to Eagle's strong existing presence at FWA. As can be seen from the application, FWA management is being proactive about the AA/US merger and the opportunities it presents to the airport.

One has to remember that FWA-PHL would offer not just significantly superior connections to the East and Europe, but significant O&D from three very well-known companies. Philly-based Lincoln Financial (which was once based in Fort Wayne) maintains a huge presence in FWA. Likewise, Wells Fargo's dominance in Fort Wayne banking (#1 in local deposit share) means a lot of travel to Wells Fargo's offices in PHL. Comcast could also be a source of FWA-PHL O&D, as Comcast is based in PHL, is the largest TV and Internet provider in Fort Wayne (and recently launched their Xfinity X1 cloud DVR here), and has a local call center and market offices in addition to the normal fiber/coaxial cable plant and headend.

Between East Coast/Europe connections, the Lincoln/Wells Fargo/Comcast trifecta, and the existing loyalty at FWA to AA and the AAdvantage program, I could easily see Eagle filling two CR2s on FWA-PHL from day one. And not just filling the planes, but with yields good enough to keep the service after a year (a problem with SCASD grants - just ask the fine folks in SBN), and then even larger aircraft on both PHL and the existing DFW service as Eagle transitions to larger RJs and the new AA grows.

Lastly, I hope this application is not only one of the winners, but that Doug Parker & Co. starts FWA-PHL with or without the SCASD grant.

ouboy79

Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:59 am

Quoting FWAERJ (Reply 42):
One has to remember that FWA-PHL would offer not just significantly superior connections to the East and Europe

2 daily vs. 5 daily via DTW isn't really going to trump existing service. However, a 2nd eastern hub is good for any city.

Philly-based Lincoln Financial (which was once based in Fort Wayne) maintains a huge presence in FWA. Likewise, Wells Fargo's dominance in Fort Wayne banking (#1 in local deposit share) means a lot of travel to Wells Fargo's offices in PHL. Comcast could also be a source of FWA-PHL O&D, as Comcast is based in PHL, is the largest TV and Internet provider in Fort Wayne (and recently launched their Xfinity X1 cloud DVR here), and has a local call center and market offices in addition to the normal fiber/coaxial cable plant and headend.

The first two make sense, you lose logic with Comcast. I doubt there is much daily O&D for Comcast to FWA. OKC is one of the proverbial call center mechas of the nation and it definitely doesn't have nonstop service everywhere to where a business is HQ'd.

I could easily see Eagle filling two CR2s on FWA-PHL from day one. And not just filling the planes, but with yields good enough to keep the service after a year (a problem with SCASD grants - just ask the fine folks in SBN), and then even larger aircraft on both PHL and the existing DFW service as Eagle transitions to larger RJs and the new AA grows.

You have higher expectations than FWA management themselves. They are only looking at load factors in the 40s to start eventually growing to the upper 60s and low 70s after 18 months. I would also temper your expectations a few degrees already calling for larger RJs on a route that is apparently going to require a SCASD grant to get.  

Regardless I feel this one probably would get approved. I am not expecting AA/US to announce the service right away though. There is going to be a period of reworking the existing network before adding in new segments. Eventually the dots will get connected which is something we are excited about down here - eventually seeing CLT service.

bjorn14

Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:30 pm

Branson, MO

Don't see why we should be supporting a privare business with these grants-
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

Cubsrule

Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:41 pm

Quoting bjorn14 (Reply 44):
Don't see why we should be supporting a privare business with these grants-

Why should all the money go to the government or quasi-government entities that run most airports?
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

FlyingSicilian

Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:12 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 41):
Del Rio, TX
City of Del Rio applies for grant amount of $500,000, supported with $490,000 in local contributions to aid in the establishment of air service to a major regional hub. Del Rio for period between 2005 and early 2013 enjoyed air service link to Houston which was discontinued as part of United Airlines express carrier restructuring. Del Rio has been left with no scheduled airline access forcing travelers to drive 150-miles San Antonio. American Airlines has indicated its interest in connecting Del Rio with its Dallas Ft Worth hub. While carrier does believe the market can become self sufficient, the grant would provide critically important mechanism to aid such prospects.

I'd say this is one of the more realistic ones of the bunch. UA got a lot of gov't rate tickets on the route, but I'm told by some UA shirts it was popular.
“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"

PHX787

Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:57 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 40):
Branson Regional Airport Transportation Development District desires $750,000 grant monies with $375,000 in local cash contributions to help reverse a 37% decline in airline departures in the Branson-Springfield market. With such cuts the underserved region heavily reliant economic activity of tourism seeks to offer a focused air service marketing, revenue and advertising campaign including targeting major markets like the Los Angeles basin.

According to my grandparents, who used to frequent Branson, that market is on its way out. 90% of tourists are reportedly seniors riding busses into town. Many senior citizens don't like to ride airplanes, so I have a feeling this may not go forward...
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

ouboy79

Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:03 pm

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 48):
According to my grandparents, who used to frequent Branson, that market is on its way out. 90% of tourists are reportedly seniors riding busses into town. Many senior citizens don't like to ride airplanes, so I have a feeling this may not go forward...

I just think Branson is too regional of a destination. When I lived back north, you never really thought of Branson as a vacation spot. It isn't until you get South that you start thinking of going there on vacation, but only if you don't want to go to the FL Panhandle or South Texas instead...at least for those born/raised here.

masseybrown

Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:11 pm

Good luck to CRW; I'm always sorry to see them struggling. I thought thanks to shale drilling West Virginia's economy was improving, maybe the downturn in coal undid all that.