777ER
Crew
Topic Author

New Zealand Aviation Part 131

Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:32 am

Welcome to the 131st edition of the New Zealand Aviation Threads.

Link to the previous edition New Zealand Aviation Part 130 (by 777ER Jun 30 2013 in Civil Aviation)
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net for all Moderator contact

NZ107

RE: New Zealand Aviation Part 131

Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:42 am

From the previous thread:

Quote:
The Cathay 330 (similar size to 787) PE is 2-3-2. It looks very comfortable.

It is very comfortable. And so is the 2-4-2 in the 77W. All you need now is for NZ to be able to configure it right so that the Y+ cabin remains with its own toilet. The current 77W seems fine for this but it'd be interesting to see if NZ wanted to shrink the size of the Y+ cabin in order to maintain supply to a similar level it is currently. CX's Y+ in the 77W is only 4-5 rows.
It's all about the destination AND the journey.

ZKSUJ

Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:43 am

Interesting K'man suggested the A380 on the NZ1/2 and SFO routes. I remember thinking a while ago that the idea of a small fleet of 380s could be viable for those exact routes. Who knows what it will be after the 77W's are gone, I know they have said that it is unlikely, but I hope they will operate twin decks again in future.

The whole aviation is expanding and growing spiel people talk about doesn't quite make sense to me when they reduced from 744 to 77W

Motorhussy

Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:00 am

Quoting ZKSUJ (Reply 2):
Interesting K'man suggested the A380 on the NZ1/2 and SFO routes. I remember thinking a while ago that the idea of a small fleet of 380s could be viable for those exact routes. Who knows what it will be after the 77W's are gone, I know they have said that it is unlikely, but I hope they will operate twin decks again in future.

I too would like to see this, but NZ has learnt from historic experience that its passenger traffic is dramatically susceptible to the whim of external pressures beyond its control. The crash of the Asian Tiger economies in the late 90's; the outbreak of SARS in the early noughties; the GFC et al - have all shown NZ how precariously balanced their business is in terms of filling their planes, and taking on larger planes increases their risk exposure to sudden downturn.

How many A380's would they require for daily AKL-LAX-LHR and SFO-AKL-MEL flights? And would a fleet of that size be worth while? I heard six (for some reason) was the magic number.

Regards
MH
come visit the south pacific

aerorobnz

Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:00 am

Quoting ZKSUJ (Reply 2):
I remember thinking a while ago that the idea of a small fleet of 380s could be viable for those exact routes.

I have always felt that way about NZs LAX. For one thing it allows 77W/77E fleets to be released for other duties around the pacific rim, It also allows them to perform a once a day flight if they want during low season without losing capacity completely. No issues with fitting sky couches and all that stuff as well..

And It'd be good to operate APW/TBU at Christmas time, there should be just enough space for all the hand carriage.. 
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

ZKSUJ

Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:26 am

Quoting motorhussy (Reply 3):
Quoting aerorobnz (Reply 4):

Well then the 748i would be the way to go   (I'm saying that as a 747 lover and the 8i would probably allow NZ more flexibility). I suppose 6 A380s would be the magic number, I don't know. 6 is a small fleet, but nor ridiculously small. But yea they could use the 77W fleet to supplement NZ5/6, maybe Oz-LAX? All theoretical of course

koruman

Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:39 am

I think that the argument against 480 seat A380 aircraft was that on the LAX and LHR routes they would lose money in low demand periods.

I'm unconvinced. At times of low demand either NZ5/6 could be suspended or else China could be reduced below daily and receive the A380 instead.

That ship has now sailed, but I remain unconvinced that 77W + 789 > 380 + 350.

aerorobnz

Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:22 am

From 12th August to 01st November LA will be cancelled AKLSYDAKL sectors on Mondays and Thursdays.
For those days the flight will arrive at 04:30am and will stay in Auckland until Santiago departure at 16:15pm.

Quoting koruman (Reply 6):
I think that the argument against 480 seat A380 aircraft was that on the LAX and LHR routes they would lose money in low demand periods.

AKL-LAX-LHR is now pulling a profit. I think this is great news for NZ.
In which case I'd love for iSuperHeavy ops to happen, even if it would stuff AKL up something chronic. On a related note double airbridge A380 works for G10 starts on 17th July.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

koruman

Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:33 am

Quoting aerorobnz (Reply 7):
AKL-LAX-LHR is now pulling a profit. I think this is great news for NZ.
In which case I'd love for iSuperHeavy ops to happen, even if it would stuff AKL up something chronic. On a related note double airbridge A380 works for G10 starts on 17th July.

The news about the profit is wonderful.

But I actually have doubts about the replacement of the Premium Economy SpaceSeat.

I agree that it takes up a lot of real estate and is heavy. I'd add that it's not very comfortable for sleeping either.

But there is another issue in play here, too. It is of domestic First/Business Class quality and so can be sold at a considerable premium over Economy class fares. I have bought my family a total of eight return Premium Economy BNE-LHR fares on it over the next 12 months, and they cost A$5000 each, when I could have an Economy fare on an Asian carrier for not much more than 35% of that cost. But these were tickets with my own $$$ rather than an employer's, and I thought the outlay worthwhile, especially given our ability to upgrade sectors due to ongoing Gold Elite status.

I'm assuming that NZ will end up with 2-3-2 Premium Economy on the 789 and 2-4-2 on the 77W. And I don't think that they will be able to maintain their yields on the key LHR-LAX (and vice versa) sectors if that is the case.

Anyway, back to the A380 v 77W argument.

The argument against the A380 was always that an aircraft configured 50 Business Premier / 50 Premium Economy / 350 Economy would at times be "too big" for the demand. And that Air NZ would find itself in the same boat that Virgin Australia often finds itself in with its excessively large 77W's: needing to sell an extra unwanted 50+ seats at fare levels so low that overall yields suffer.

But the difference is that Virgin Australia:

1) has nowhere else to hide the 77Ws at low demand times - their entire long-haul network is LAX and Abu Dhabi.
2) has no smaller vehicles with the range to fly non-stop to those destinations.

I don't think the argument washes with me. As I've written, if demand softens, consolidate NZ1 and NZ5 into a single A380. Or else send it to China on Tuesday and cancel Wednesday's flight, and consolidate two 767 flights onto a single A380.

The 77W + 789 +/- 77E fleet made sense when Qantas still flew AKL-LAX.

But now that they have exited, I think a 380 + 350 fleet would make much, much more sense.

[Edited 2013-07-14 21:48:22]

ZKSUJ

Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:55 am

Quoting koruman (Reply 8):
The argument against the A380 was always that an aircraft configured 50 Business Premier / 50 Premium Economy / 350 Economy would at times be "too big" for the demand.

450 seats is not too much more than a 744, doable with a A380. I still think the 8I would be a better fit due flexibility, and it can be configured to around 420 which would be a nice managable increase in Capacity for the airline.

nirvarma

Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:54 am

On a related note double airbridge A380 works for G10 starts on 17th July.

Is it just G10 thats getting a second airbridge? Are there plans to fit additional gates with second airbridges?

Cheers
NV

NZ107

Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:17 am

Quoting nirvarma (Reply 10):
Are there plans to fit additional gates with second airbridges?

Well there's always the extension of the new pier which would increase the capacity. I'm not sure if any other gate at AKL could possibly be dual airbridged. But either way, there will only be 3 A380s scheduled for AKL and theoretically no more are needed. MH (and maybe the other A380 operators in HKG) use single airbridges in HKG.. Which doesn't seem to have any problems or complaints from passengers.

zkojq

Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:56 am

If Air New Zealand was to order 747-8s, I suspect it would be because of a hefty discount from Boeing for buying an unpopular model. Having A380s would be a pain anytime an aircraft goes tech; too bigger difference in capacity between it and a 77W/77E.

From the last thread:
Quoting 777ER (Reply 203):
Surprised this new delivery isn't in one of the new liverys!

Yes, I do wonder why also. Maybe they want to debut the new livery on a 787 first?

Quoting Mr AirNZ (Reply 210):

Thankyou.

Quoting koruman (Reply 209):

I can understand why people might be worried to fly the 787 on long, over water flights.
First to fly the 787-9 (ZK-NZE, NZ103, 2014-10-09)

777ER
Crew
Topic Author

Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:07 am

Quoting zkojq (Reply 12):
Quoting 777ER (Reply 203):Surprised this new delivery isn't in one of the new liverys!
Yes, I do wonder why also. Maybe they want to debut the new livery on a 787 first?

The first roll out of the new livery is later this year, the first 787 is next year
Head Forum Moderator

Palmyboy12

Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:16 am

From the previous thread:

Quote:
Next sharkleted aircraft OXB on the way.

Surprised this new delivery isn't in one of the new liverys!

I'm surprised too....why isn't OXB in the new livery? The announcement was made in early June....

Maybe NZ is pulling a Malaysia Airlines on us and only using their livery for their 'flagships'....hope not.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jason Wood
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Pawarin Prapukdee

Anybody actually know when the next aircraft (first in the fern scheme) is due to emerge, if at all?

Quoting ZKSUJ (Reply 5):
Well then the 748i would be the way to go

That would be marvellous....I mean, even with the fern livery on the A380, to paraphrase a saying - you can dress up a whale any way you like...but it'll still be a whale! The same logic applies to the 747-8 - to paraphrase another saying, a queen by any other name would look as sweet...
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline." Frank Zappa

aerorobnz

Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:51 pm

Quoting nirvarma (Reply 10):
Is it just G10 thats getting a second airbridge? Are there plans to fit additional gates with second airbridges?

I heard talk that G2 would also gain a splitable double as in Pier B, but at the expense of G4.

BestWestern

Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:13 pm

http://www.ausbt.com.au/china-southe...87-flights-to-auckland-in-december

CZ have confirmed x3 weekly Boeing 787 services to AKL from mid December 2013.

The current CZ305/306 service will continue using an Airbus A330, but the new flight – tagged as CZ333/336 – will run three days each week on a Boeing 787.

Those flights are:
CZ336, departing Auckland at 10am on Sunday, Wednesday and Friday to arrive into Guangzhou at 5pm
CZ335, leaving Guangzhou at 2.30pm on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday to land in Auckland at 7am the following day
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

Palmyboy12

Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:56 pm

Quoting Palmyboy12 (Reply 14):
I'm surprised too....why isn't OXB in the new livery? The announcement was made in early June....Maybe NZ is pulling a Malaysia Airlines on us and only using their livery for their 'flagships'....hope not. View Large View MediumPhoto © Jason WoodView Large View MediumPhoto © Pawarin PrapukdeeAnybody actually know when the next aircraft (first in the fern scheme) is due to emerge, if at all?
Quoting 777ER (Reply 13):

The first roll out of the new livery is later this year, the first 787 is next year

EDIT: Sorry about that...took me a while to fiddle with the intricacies of airliners post editing - by the time I finished your posts had appeared.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline." Frank Zappa

SYDAIRPORTS

Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:54 am

regarding flights Australia/Queenstown nonstop

It seems VA/NZ are dumping some seats.

Was looking at accommodation in ZQN & earlybird type deals seem to be extended & extended, which seems surprising with the good snowfall.

It appears that bookings of both flights & hotels hasn't lived up to all the hype in the media, which seems to be counterproductive.

The media says flights & accommodation are filling up fast, when they aren't, which make some people say why both looking.

Also some fares BNE/ZQN/BNE are more expensive than BNE/LAX/BNE.

It also appears that many travel agencies have given up on booking NZ as so little in it for them, so people must book their own flights & coordinate that accommodation bookings, which is what the agents used to do.

777ER
Crew
Topic Author

Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:00 am

Quoting SYDAIRPORTS (Reply 18):
Also some fares BNE/ZQN/BNE are more expensive than BNE/LAX/BNE.

Well that's what happens when you have supply and demand and only up to three airlines flying a route. Australia - LAX has many options (routes and airlines) while Australia-ZQN doesn't

Quoting SYDAIRPORTS (Reply 18):
It also appears that many travel agencies have given up on booking NZ as so little in it for them, so people must book their own flights & coordinate that accommodation bookings, which is what the agents used to do.

While its sad travel agents have given up, its also a sign of todays world and the future. Travel Agents are a dying breed IMHO as the internet takes over. What could only be done by a travel agent previously is now becoming possible on airline's web-sites. I prefer to book my own tickets now as I can choose routes/times etc that suit/interest me. Travel Agents only book you with carriers that look after them so are biased towards airlines.

On my recent trip to the USA last month I booked NZ as usual to LAX and to get to MIA with UA I decided to go via DEN and IAH to try the B739, B788 (didn't happen as flight was cancelled due to pilot issues) on the UA web-site and DL from DTW-SFO to fly the B753. The 'normal' option would have sent me to MIA via IAH.
Head Forum Moderator

SYDAIRPORTS

Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:50 am

Quoting 777ER (Reply 19):
Quoting SYDAIRPORTS (Reply 18):Also some fares BNE/ZQN/BNE are more expensive than BNE/LAX/BNE.
Well that's what happens when you have supply and demand and only up to three airlines flying a route. Australia - LAX has many options (routes and airlines) while Australia-ZQN doesn't

Quoting SYDAIRPORTS (Reply 18):It also appears that many travel agencies have given up on booking NZ as so little in it for them, so people must book their own flights & coordinate that accommodation bookings, which is what the agents used to do.
While its sad travel agents have given up, its also a sign of todays world and the future. Travel Agents are a dying breed IMHO as the internet takes over. What could only be done by a travel agent previously is now becoming possible on airline's web-sites. I prefer to book my own tickets now as I can choose routes/times etc that suit/interest me. Travel Agents only book you with carriers that look after them so are biased towards airlines.

On my recent trip to the USA last month I booked NZ as usual to LAX and to get to MIA with UA I decided to go via DEN and IAH to try the B739, B788 (didn't happen as flight was cancelled due to pilot issues) on the UA web-site and DL from DTW-SFO to fly the B753. The 'normal' option would have sent me to MIA via IAH.

BNE/LAX only has 2 airlines nonstop.

BNE/ZQN in winter only really has 2 as well, as VA/NZ can be considered 1 airline.

QF has stuff all-once a week for around 12 weeks a year. Why on earth doesn't JQ fly BNE/ZQN ?

On the one hand you have fares BNE/ZQN/BNE AROUND $1K but on the other hand NZ is dumping for $350-$500.

NZ/VA do 10 per week in busy part of winter (twice on Sundays) but they can't use bigger aircraft & with limited windows at both BNE & ZQN

hard to see them putting on more weekend flights, except possibly another on Sat.

Who wants to depart at 0545(Wed), which means checking in at BNE at 0500 at latest or 0615 Wed, Fri, Sun ?

Talking to an agent, they are doing lots of Europe, Asia, USA etc. but virtually no Australia or NZ, which may come back to bite airlines.

They also told me that many fares can't be found online at all anywhere. Eg. Australia to USA on QF & then back on FJ, which is almost always cheaper than QF in both directions & can't be found online even on QF or FJ websites.

Said they like families as they make commission x number in party & often have stopovers, which again are hard to search for online + few tricks of the trade which wouldn't divulge.

Said they often get price shoppers who say they must fly these dates & they come back to them with if you do it this way or that might be cheaper, when told if moves dates day or 2 or stopover for day or 2 they'll save 1000's.

Seems many people stupidly believe that everything online is the cheaper.

When you do a search online, computer only searches for EXACTLY what you ask for & computer can't think of other ways of doing things.

ZKOJH

Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:59 am

''Air New Zealand Plans Honolulu Service Increase from late-June 2014''

Is this to do with the 787's arriving in June?

. From 24JUN14 to 27SEP14

NZ010 AKL1100 – 2145-1HNL 763 x135
NZ009 HNL2300 – 0625+2AKL 763 x247

how soon will it take to switch over to a 787 flight?
Vietnam time..

cchan

Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:51 am

Quoting ZKOJH (Reply 21):
how soon will it take to switch over to a 787 flight?

If PVG and NRT are to get 789 first, then it will be 2015 earliest before we see 789 on HNL

777ER
Crew
Topic Author

Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:02 am

Quoting SYDAIRPORTS (Reply 20):
BNE/LAX only has 2 airlines nonstop.

BNE/ZQN in winter only really has 2 as well, as VA/NZ can be considered 1 airline.

QF has stuff all-once a week for around 12 weeks a year. Why on earth doesn't JQ fly BNE/ZQN ?

On the one hand you have fares BNE/ZQN/BNE AROUND $1K but on the other hand NZ is dumping for $350-$500.

Even if those airports only have 2 direct options, there is always connections via other airports which sometimes can be cheaper. High fares are a result of supply and demand. Customers demand flights and the airlines put on X amount of flights that they know they can charge good fares on and return a profit. Customers will always buy those tickets

Talking to an agent, they are doing lots of Europe, Asia, USA etc. but virtually no Australia or NZ, which may come back to bite airlines.

I don't think it will bite those airlines as booking short haul flights yourself is really simple. Booking long haul flights with hotels, tours, cars etc is also easy but can involve hours of work. You can even save money doing it yourself compared to the travel agent.

They also told me that many fares can't be found online at all anywhere. Eg. Australia to USA on QF & then back on FJ, which is almost always cheaper than QF in both directions & can't be found online even on QF or FJ websites.

Doesn't matter if you can't book a return flight in one booking as mixing and matching could result in saved money.

Doing it yourself allows you different options and you can save money doing it yourself, you've just got to look at ALL the airline/options. I saved money booking my recent USA holiday myself and I got to travel via an interesting route. I would have saved even more money if I didn't go via DEN
Head Forum Moderator

SYDAIRPORTS

Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:52 am

Quoting 777ER (Reply 23):
Quoting SYDAIRPORTS (Reply 20):They also told me that many fares can't be found online at all anywhere. Eg. Australia to USA on QF & then back on FJ, which is almost always cheaper than QF in both directions & can't be found online even on QF or FJ websites.
Doesn't matter if you can't book a return flight in one booking as mixing and matching could result in saved money.

Are you serious ?

Book 2 one ways to USA & it cost a fortune. One way fares are close to cheapest return fares.

777ER
Crew
Topic Author

Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:19 am

Quoting SYDAIRPORTS (Reply 24):

Yes I'm 100% serious. Could've flown NZ to LAX and FJ return last month for cheaper then NZs return fare but didn't want to risk a tight connection from a late DL arrival.
Head Forum Moderator

ZK-NBT

Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:24 am

Quoting koruman (Reply 6):

I'd say with 50J and 50W they would fit over 400Y seats which is rather large. The aircraft would be harder than the 744s to place during the day so mostly would remain parked at AKL other than school holidays where there would be demand for it to go to BNE.

From 12th August to 01st November LA will be cancelled AKLSYDAKL sectors on Mondays and Thursdays.

Any idea why? Be nice if QF added a widebody to cater LA's SYD PAX.

Quoting aerorobnz (Reply 15):

I heard talk that G2 would also gain a splitable double as in Pier B, but at the expense of G4.

Expecting another operator soonish? I've heard the odd thing like SQ several times QF to DFW and CZ.

aerorobnz

Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:33 am

Quoting ZK-NBT (Reply 26):
Any idea why? Be nice if QF added a widebody to cater LA's SYD PAX.

Maintenance requirements on their much reduced A343 I have heard. All pasengers incorporated intoQF schedule I think...

ZK-NBT

Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:43 am

Quoting aerorobnz (Reply 27):

Maintenance requirements on their much reduced A343 I have heard. All pasengers incorporated intoQF schedule I think...

Probably is, they are down to 2 A343s soon. They are 5 weekly SCL-AKL during that period down from 6.

SCL767

Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:49 am

Quoting ZK-NBT (Reply 28):
Probably is, they are down to 2 A343s soon. They are 5 weekly SCL-AKL during that period down from 6.

That is correct. The SCL-AKL-SYD route will indeed operate 5x weekly until the end of October. LAN will phase out CC-CQF relatively soon as our airline moves towards operating a wide-body fleet consisting solely of Boeing a/c by the end of next year.

PA515

Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:48 pm

There have been some changes to the Air NZ domestic schedule.

All 23 DHC's will be used from 12 Aug. There's a new 0740/0900 NSN-AKL which then does an 0925/1000 AKL-TRG replacing the 0855/0930 AKL-TRG, that aircraft now doing an 0835/0905 AKL-WRE.

15 AT7's will be used from 14 Oct instead of early Dec, replacing the 0645/0745 AKL-NPE DHC which does the new 0640/0810 NPL-CHC from 14 Oct instead of early Dec.

Still 17 BEH's in use morning and evening, but less activity during the day. Could easily fit in an 0855/1210 AKL-MRO-BHE-CHC and 1450/1805 CHC-BHE-MRO-AKL, a CHC-OAM-CHC, and a NSN-PPQ-NSN.

PA515

HanginOut

Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:33 pm

Quoting SYDAIRPORTS (Reply 24):
Doing it yourself allows you different options and you can save money doing it yourself, you've just got to look at ALL the airline/options. I saved money booking my recent USA holiday myself and I got to travel via an interesting route. I would have saved even more money if I didn't go via DEN

While a.netters may be willing to take the time and effort to research fares (I know I love hunting down a good bargain), the average person won't bother. They'll just go to an airline site or something like travelocity and punch in point A to B and then just pick and choose, not realising that if they did their homework that they could save themselves some money.
Dreaming of the day I can work for an airline

777ER
Crew
Topic Author

Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:01 am

Quoting HanginOut (Reply 31):

Firstly that was my comment and secondly. Yes the majority of 'normal' people don't understand that, but I think you would be surprised how many people (especially family's) who do their homework and check elsewhere.
Head Forum Moderator

SYDAIRPORTS

Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:17 am

Quoting 777ER (Reply 25):
Yes I'm 100% serious. Could've flown NZ to LAX and FJ return last month for cheaper then NZs return fare but didn't want to risk a tight connection from a late DL arrival.

that's a return ticket not 2 x one ways. NZ codshare on FJ NAN/LAX/NAN flights.

mariner

Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:03 am

I've found that if you book on the airline website, often it is cheaper.

And I never book round trip returns anymore, always 2 x one way, because I don't usually fly back from the same airport I flew to - especially Australia. How boring would that be?

And I get some great one way deals - especially if I avoid SYD.  

matiner
aeternum nauta

aerorobnz

Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:44 am

Quoting mariner (Reply 34):
I've found that if you book on the airline website, often it is cheaper.

Yep often this is true, though sometimes it is cheaper to purchase via somewhere like expedia if they have brokered a special bulk rate.

Quoting mariner (Reply 34):
And I never book round trip returns anymore, always 2 x one way,

Yep. .lol I have had great fun getting the most interest for my money in the last 24h for my upcoming trips. 27 sectors and counting by doing just that..

NZ107

Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:05 am

GDS has CZ bringing the 787 daily on its usual flight from 28 Oct; not just for that seasonal 3x weekly extra service.

[Edited 2013-07-18 01:08:45]

777ER
Crew
Topic Author

Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:12 pm

Quoting SYDAIRPORTS (Reply 33):

Yes NZ do codeshare on FJs services but booking directly on FJs web-site was cheaper then booking the FJ services on NZ. If I had more time for a connecting flight then I would have taken the FJ service. I'm glad I didn't book the flight because the DL flight arrived 2 hours late which resulted in a 20min connection to NZ
Head Forum Moderator

zkojq

Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:25 pm

The first Boeing 787-9 has been rolled out. I believe this aircraft will become ZK-NZE once Boeing has finished with it. Looks much better than the 787-8s IMO.

http://www.seattlepi.com/business/bo...ow/Boeing-787-9-roll-out-66549.php
First to fly the 787-9 (ZK-NZE, NZ103, 2014-10-09)

aerorobnz

Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:51 pm

Quoting zkojq (Reply 38):
Looks much better than the 787-8s IMO.

It just looks like an updated 767-300/-400. Nice to see a 787 without scorch marks though.. 

SYDAIRPORTS

Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:23 am

Quoting 777ER (Reply 19):
Quoting SYDAIRPORTS (Reply 18):Also some fares BNE/ZQN/BNE are more expensive than BNE/LAX/BNE.

think what actually happens is like general retail. A certain % of population doesn't care about cost, just convenience.

So these people pay whatever the asking price & don't give it a 2nd thought.

Then the rest care about the dollars & these are those that jump when sale fares happen & are also prepared to go via another ports to save dollars or change dates to save dollars.

Is the 1st group getting smaller ? Possibly ?

Is the 2nd group getting bigger ? Possibly ?

For ZQN it seems, in people minds that they must ski in AUG, not SEP & flights even at start of SEP are much cheaper than even right at end of AUG.

aotearoa

Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:13 am

Quoting zkojq (Reply 38):

I believe this will become ZK-NZC. The first delivery will in fact be ZK-NZE. This will come straight off the production line, as will F and G. C and D will need significant work to remove the kilometres of orange flight test wiring and sensors, prior to having new engines and interiors fitted. I beiieve C and D are not delivered until 2015.

byronicle6

Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:56 am

With the delivery of the first 787-9 for NZ expected in July 2014 (to be used on NRT, PVG) which will free up other aircraft. Does this mean that we will see new routes from July 2014? If so, anyone have any inside knowledge of what they are?
Travel is my thing

aerorobnz

Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:43 am

Quoting byronicle6 (Reply 42):
If so, anyone have any inside knowledge of what they are?

Yes I have a fairly good indication of what is to come.. But I'd never risk my job for the bragging rights of releasing the info.

keen2fly

Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:15 pm

Quoting SYDAIRPORTS (Reply 40):
Is the 1st group getting smaller ? Possibly ?

I'm not really sure about this one, because New Zealand has an ageing population and a fair amount of the older people here have money to burn as they've gotten hold of their superannuation, pension etc. Many of the retired people I know do quite a substantial amount of travelling and they tend to travel on the specific day that they want, even if the flights are much cheaper a couple of weeks earlier/later. As these super funds have become more popular and as more people retire with more money than ever before I think that there may be still quite a few people belonging to the group that will pay more to travel exactly when and how they want to. I do agree that the 2nd group is expanding, rapidly at that. These cheaper fares have enabled families and individuals that couldn't afford to travel before to go on package holidays for prices that were previously unthinkable. So I think that we could be seeing more of both groups flying, which is a possible explanation as to the more cramped conditions in Air New Zealand's economy class and the more upmarket shift in the two premium products (although the new PE seems not to have worked as they hoped it would).

NZ107

Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:08 am

IVC is redeveloping its terminal and they'll lose their jetbridge:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/southland-tim...make-airbridge-a-thing-of-the-past

"Everyone would always like to be kept nice and dry but some things aren't realistic."
Just like being called an "International Airport"!

Motorhussy

Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:06 am

Quoting aerorobnz (Reply 4):
And It'd be good to operate APW/TBU at Christmas time, there should be just enough space for all the hand carriage..
Quoting aerorobnz (Reply 43):
Quoting byronicle6 (Reply 42):
If so, anyone have any inside knowledge of what they are?

Yes I have a fairly good indication of what is to come.. But I'd never risk my job for the bragging rights of releasing the info.

So that will free up 2 x 77E, yes? South America - GRU maybe? Asia - ICN maybe? Or now that the HKG-LHR leg is gone - AKL-SFO-LHR hopefully...
come visit the south pacific

xiaotung

Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:57 am

Quoting motorhussy (Reply 46):
So that will free up 2 x 77E, yes? South America - GRU maybe? Asia - ICN maybe? Or now that the HKG-LHR leg is gone - AKL-SFO-LHR hopefully...

Or Mumbai? Is the recent Airpoints partnership with Jet Airways just a random thing?

ZK-NBT

Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:33 am

So that will free up 2 x 77E, yes?

Remember the 744s will be gone by around October last I heard anyway, and the 772s will be refitted starting March 2014. Aerorobnz obviously knows more than most of us, but I'm guessing with the 2 77Ws coming aswell we will see something mid-late 2014.

South America - GRU maybe? Asia - ICN maybe? Or now that the HKG-LHR leg is gone - AKL-SFO-LHR hopefully...

I'm certainly not holding out for another LHR flight, SFO will switch to 77Ws replacing the 744s. I guess the others you mention are possible or maybe

Quoting xiaotung (Reply 47):
Or Mumbai?

koruman

Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:44 am

I still don't see why SFO can't be extended to LHR, especially now that AKL-LAX-LHR is profitable.

The argument against two sector flights is basically crew costs at a remote station. But LHR is a staff base and that argument simply doesn't apply.

They have the rights. They will have 763, 789, 77E and 77W aircraft to cover all sizes of demand. They have the staff base.

Anyone with a computer can see what the fare levels are to Shanghai, Hong Kong and Narita. And we can all see how much higher Air NZ can command fares for AKL-LAX, AKL-SFO, AKL-HNL and LAX-LHR.

HKG-LHR failed in competition with a dominant carrier at the HKG end and two other airlines who dominated the LHR end.

There is no such dominant competition on California-LHR routes.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos