1337Delta764
Topic Author

Why Do So Many People Here Want IFE To Be Removed?

Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:28 pm

It seems odd that some people here at A.net actually WANT airlines to remove IFE from their planes and force passengers to bring their own devices. However, far more people prefer to use the IFE system than their own devices, and in-flight Wi-Fi providers are losing money as we know it.

Unfortunately, the anti-IFE crowd makes the claim that in-flight Wi-Fi is the future. If that is the case, why are in-flight Wi-Fi providers such as Gogo bleeding cash as we know it? This A.net myth has to stop.

So, why do many A.netters here actually want airlines to go AGAINST what the majority of passengers prefer?

[Edited 2013-07-21 13:29:42]
The Pink Delta 767-400ER - The most beautiful aircraft in the sky

Indy

RE: Why Do So Many People Here Want IFE To Be Removed?

Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:38 pm

I suspect that it doesn't have anything to do with the IFE concept but rather the box that ends up taking up your very limited space under the seat in front of you. It is bad enough that the pitch in coach is terrible but then the airlines put the IFE box in the space where your feet are supposed to go. It makes an uncomfortable seat even worse. I've experienced that problem myself and I've heard that complain expressed by family members.
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:39 pm

Quoting Indy (Reply 1):
I suspect that it doesn't have anything to do with the IFE concept but rather the box that ends up taking up your very limited space under the seat in front of you. It is bad enough that the pitch in coach is terrible but then the airlines put the IFE box in the space where your feet are supposed to go. It makes an uncomfortable seat even worse. I've experienced that problem myself and I've heard that complain expressed by family members.

Luckily, IFE boxes are shrinking on newer systems.

caribb

Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:45 pm

Oh God.. 1st world problems....   

flyingturtle

Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:45 pm

Perhaps you get onboard with the feeling that you've paid using the IFE, and so you feel compelled to actually use it. And then, you do not want to have it removed.

The IFE I want just features position, altitude, airspeed on a map and the 380 tail camera. My other IFE is reading and sleeping.

David
Keeping calm is terrorism against those who want to live in fear.

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:49 pm

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 4):
Perhaps you get onboard with the feeling that you've paid using the IFE, and so you feel compelled to actually use it. And then, you do not want to have it removed.

No, I am going based on my personal observations. In fact, on my recent DL trips, I have yet to see even a single passenger watching the streaming Wi-Fi movies using their own devices. Fact is, far more people prefer in-seat IFE for the convenience.

PITingres

Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:56 pm

Quoting Indy (Reply 1):
I suspect that it doesn't have anything to do with the IFE concept but rather the box that ends up taking up your very limited space under the seat in front of you.

This.

I've nothing against IFE per se. I loathe setups which eliminate my ability to put my laptop bag or even my feet underneath the seat in front of me. Fortunately the monster IFE box seems to be on the wane but I still run into them way too often.

[Edited 2013-07-21 13:57:30]
Fly, you fools! Fly!

Viscount724

Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:57 pm

Quoting 1337Delta764 (Thread starter):
It seems odd that some people here at A.net actually WANT airlines to remove IFE from their planes and force passengers to bring their own devices.

I can't recall much recent discussion that confirms your statement. Are you referring to something specific?

Personally, I have almost zero interest in IFE. The programming is usually second-rate and sometimes full of ads, and the systems are prone to failure and technical problems. I never consider IFE when booking flights. About the only thing I use is the map display to check the arrival times and sometimes the displays of connecting flights/gates prior to arrival.

On my last transatlantic flight (AC which has a fairly good IFE system), I noted quite a few passengers seated near me never used the IFE during the entire flight.

opethfan

Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:06 pm

The issue is that product development in this category moves slowly because of the inconvenience and cost of refitting a fleet of aircraft. The technology exists now that should allow for IFE devices running stripped down versions of Android to stream all the data they need from a handful of boxes with hard drives, an SSD for caching and Debian software.

eastern747

Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:06 pm

SOS Bitch when they have and bitch when they don't.......I'm getting sick of these drama queens. If you don't want it....don't turn it on....Please stop the crying!!!!! IMHO

dtw2hyd

Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:16 pm

One reason is to get rid of box hurting foot on a A33x Y window seat. I was told that pesky box has something to do with IFE/Electronics.

Second, no one published SAR data of these screens so far. My personal feeling an LCD screen that close to your brain is not a good thing. Not trying to stir the pot, just my opinion.

[Edited 2013-07-21 15:10:35]

KarelXWB
Crew

Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:18 pm

Quoting 1337Delta764 (Reply 2):
Luckily, IFE boxes are shrinking on newer systems.

Emirates latest A380s for example have the IFE box built inside the seats instead of having the annoying box around your feet.

[Edited 2013-07-21 14:20:00]
Close, but no cigar http://vine.co/v/OjqeYWWpVWK

frmrCapCadet

Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:24 pm

I have never seen an IFE working well, or when it did work have something I wanted. I likely would use (and even pay for) a halfway decent Wi-Fi.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

bobnwa

Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:48 pm

However, far more people prefer to use the IFE system than their own devices, and in-flight Wi-Fi providers are losing money as we know it.

No one I know would prefer to use the IFE system rather than their own. Do you acually have any proof of your statement or is that just your opinion.

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:59 pm

Quoting bobnwa (Reply 13):
No one I know would prefer to use the IFE system rather than their own. Do you acually have any proof of your statement or is that just your opinion.

Personal observations. Go onboard any DL aircraft with an in-seat IFE system, and those using the IFE system outnumber those using their own devices about 10:1.

OA412
Crew

Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:03 pm

I think the better question is why you're seemingly taking this so personally. It's IFE for goodness sake, hardly something to get so worked up about. In general, the selection is crap and totally overpriced. Whenever I fly F9, I notice the vast majority of IFE units are not activated during flight. Personally, I couldn't care less about IFE since I always bring my own entertainment on board. I personally don't need in-seat IFE on a domestic hop.

So, why do many A.netters here actually want airlines to go AGAINST what the majority of passengers prefer?

Source please.

Quoting 1337Delta764 (Reply 5):
No, I am going based on my personal observations.

Oh I see, you don't actually have a source. You're presenting personal observations as statements of fact. Got it.

In fact, on my recent DL trips, I have yet to see even a single passenger watching the streaming Wi-Fi movies using their own devices.

Did you walk up and down the aircraft and personally inspect what each passenger was doing?

Fact is, far more people prefer in-seat IFE for the convenience.

It's not a fact. This is your opinion, which you are passing off as fact. There is a big, big difference between your own opinion and fact.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

dfambro

Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:06 pm

Quoting bobnwa (Reply 13):
No one I know would prefer to use the IFE system rather than their own.

There are some pretty good IFEs out there. I think the UA J class IFE is really good - good selection, good screen - I'd rather use that than my own device.

sandyb123

Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:18 pm

I personally like IFE. I like knowing where I am, altitude, speed etc. on longer flights I appreciate the movies and content which I haven't brought onboard myself. Perhaps wouldn't be something I'd watch on the ground but there is only so much work one can do on a 6 hour + flight.

Sandyb123
Member of the mile high club

BSRadar

Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:28 pm

Stop touch-screen games on seat-back IFE. 8 (or so) hours of United's MAN-EWR "entertainment" for the knuckled bozo "performing" on my seatback convinced me that IFE should be restricted. Surely I'm not alone - anybody else suffered this Repetitive Stress?

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:28 pm

Quoting OA412 (Reply 15):
Oh I see, you don't actually have a source. You're presenting personal observations as statements of fact. Got it.

And why would my personal observations be false? Trust me, I have flown several DL AVOD flights, and with my very own eyes I saw far more people using the IFE than their own devices. It isn't like my eyes would lie.

tonystan

Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:29 pm

The fact of the matter is that although PEDs are becoming more and more frequent, people carrying devices such as iPads laptops or anything suitable to watching entertainment on for any period of time are still very much in the minority and that's just in the developed world.

If airlines where to suddenly actively remove their IFE systems in favour of a wifi signal and encourage passengers to bring their own devices they could soon find themselves receiving the back of the consumers hand in a nasty PR failure!

If its one thing airlines cannot expect to get away with is alienating its market customer!
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

md80fanatic

Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:34 pm

I think it would do wonders for everyone's sanity to disconnect and relax for the duration of the flight. At most we are talking about 14 hours without internet, phones, movies, and games. One should be thankful for the peace and quiet ... that is unless one is a Borg and physically needs to be jacked in at all times.

Transpac787

Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:34 pm

This A.net myth has to stop.

Maybe you should just threaten to sue everyone for defamation again. It worked the first time, right??  

Defamation Against The 767-400ER (by 1337Delta764 Jul 7 2011 in Site Related)

tharanga

Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:39 pm

I understand where the OP is coming from.

There are a handful of people on here who seem to like showing off how much they enjoy flying, by emphasizing they don't need IFE and by implicitly looking down on people who want IFE. I have noticed this tendency on here.

While I also don't like a big box taking up my under-seat storage space, I definitely enjoy the free TV on B6, and on an ultra long haul sector, the quality of IFE is definitely a factor in my choice of airline.

I like having the choice of the seatback screen, or using my own device. Using a personal device has its own problems - is there a power outlet (and does it work)? also it's somewhat more comfortable to look ahead at the seatback screen, than down at your own device. I pretty much only use my own device for doing work; I'd prefer the seatback IFE for entertainment purposes.

[Edited 2013-07-21 15:42:00]

Klaus

Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:56 pm

Quoting DTW2HYD (Reply 10):
Second, no one published SAR data of these screens so far. My personal feeling an LCD screen that close to your brain is not a good thing. Not trying to stir the pot, just my opinion.

You can pretty much forget about that. LCD screens use relatively low power at relatively low frequencies. I see no reason for concern on that front at all.

And even the much stronger electromagnetic fields from wirelessly connected devices have not found to be a hazard yet.

CairnterriAIR

Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:00 pm

For me....my favorite form of IFE was sitting in cloth seats and watching "Old Yeller" on the big screen on the bulkhead of the Eastern L-1011 and listening to the audio through a plastic hollow headset. All while being served a full meal and having the choice of several magazines....not to mention a nice window to look out of.  

tommy767

Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:01 pm

I think it's a shame because a PTV at the very least makes time go faster on a plane. I actually get a kick out of airline audio -- it's fun to listen to music on take off and landing.

A lot of people who are defending the UA decision to remove IFE from 319/320 are simply just apologists in the long run. I think it's straight up a waste of money.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

gweilo88

Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:05 pm

I hate settling into my seat and finding a box blocking my space under the seat in front of me. I rarely use the IFE anyway and I have to sacrifice much of the the little room I have for other people's entertainment.

Rather than IFE, I would rather find a plane with an air nozzle at my seat.

RyanairGuru

Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:11 pm

I think you have mis-interpreted (or intentionally mis-represented) the majority of the "anti IFE" crowd, as you call them.

Very few posters are completely against IFE, but rather recognise that the pace of technological change means that seatback PTVs will be completely obsolete in less than a decade.

If customer preference doesn't kill them (which could well happen, regardless of your "facts") then the cost of oil will. The fact is that handheld streaming systems weigh a fraction of nothing compared to PTV systems, yes even the new ones.

Quoting Transpac787 (Reply 22):
Maybe you should just threaten to sue everyone for defamation again. It worked the first time, right??

Oh god, I hadn't sean that thread before! Maybe the OP is just trolling. If not, then at least we know where we stand with his "facts", as what he purports in that thread as "ABSOLUTE FACT" has been denied by Boeing  
Worked Hard, Flew Right

koruman

Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:11 pm

The simple answer is that many of the people on a.net are nerds who will never have a girlfriend, let alone children, and so don't have to ask themselves "do I really want to transport 4 expensive devices on vacation, and how am I going to keep them safe and secure?"

In addition, many of them are Americans who are used to domestic travel and appalling entertainment options which trail the international market norms by around 10-15 years.

I travel a lot. And on my preferred long-haul airlines, my iPad mini never even comes out of its case, because they have more than enough IFE options to keep me happy without me running down my battery or risking having my device damaged or stolen in a confined space.

Quoting CairnterriAIR (Reply 25):
For me....my favorite form of IFE was sitting in cloth seats and watching "Old Yeller" on the big screen on the bulkhead of the Eastern L-1011 and listening to the audio through a plastic hollow headset. All while being served a full meal and having the choice of several magazines....not to mention a nice window to look out of

Funny you should say that. The market findings on Australia-Hawaii flights (which are of similar length to Chicago-Hawaii) and indeed what Virgin Australia has found on domestic flights above 2.5 hours in length are:

1) Passengers want included IFE, and
2) Passengers want included meal and beverage services, and
3) They will pay a premium for that superior experience.

American consumers APPEAR to be the exception to this, but it's impossible to say because they have an anti-competitive market structure of airlines dominating their hubs and acting in lockstep with one another to remove all amenities roughly at the same time as one another. So it's actually almost impossible to know whether the appalling domestic product is what they want or what a quasi-monopoly inflicts upon them.

silentbob

Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:15 pm

Quoting koruman (Reply 29):

1) Passengers want included IFE, and
2) Passengers want included meal and beverage services, and
3) They will pay a premium for that superior experience.
American consumers APPEAR to be the exception to this...

The largest percentage of American travelers want the lowest priced ticket. Sure, they want IFE and food and dancing girls in the aisle, as long as it doesn't cost them any more than the ticket that has none of those things. Naturally, they will complain about the quality of food, IFE choices and attractiveness of the girls if they do somehow get them for free.

b747400erf

Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:18 pm

I don't need an onboard system, I can read a book or look out the window, relax and enjoy the ride, or *gasp* hear my own head think. I am worried about this generation that cannot put an electronic down and needs to have a 24/7 adrenaline rush.

kgaiflyer

Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:20 pm

I do 100 to 150 segments a year, and it doesn't take long to see everything on one company's IFE system (at least on Air Canada, I finish the English-language programming and then start watching French-language programming). A lot of my trips are on RJs -- even yesterday's IAH-MIA and MIA-ORD. If I need a Kindle and an MP3 for one plane, I might was well use it on every plane.

Besides -- watching IFE isn't the reason I fly -- nor the reason for the millions who fly the LCCs.

GentFromAlaska

Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:20 pm

As IFE starts to take a back seat to passenger individual smart phones might actually be good. It places more pressure on the FAA to authorized limited personal calls on a smart device inflight.
Man can be taken from Alaska. Alaska can never be taken from the man.

silentbob

Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:31 pm

Quoting GentFromAlaska (Reply 33):
It places more pressure on the FAA to authorized limited personal calls on a smart device inflight.

Oh god, I hope not. Those calls were actually banned by the FCC last time I checked, though I know they have said that they are open to changing that regulation

RayChuang

Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:34 pm

I believe that IFE will stay in First and Business Class. But due to space and weight considerations, IFE will likely vanish on Economy class, replaced by in-flight high-speed Wi-Fi.

OA412
Crew

Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:57 pm

Quoting 1337Delta764 (Reply 19):
And why would my personal observations be false? Trust me, I have flown several DL AVOD flights, and with my very own eyes I saw far more people using the IFE than their own devices. It isn't like my eyes would lie.

You seem to have a difficult time grasping what I'm saying, so I'll try it just one more time. You offer up several statements of purported fact such as:

far more people prefer to use the IFE system than their own devices
So, why do many A.netters here actually want airlines to go AGAINST what the majority of passengers prefer
Fact is, far more people prefer in-seat IFE for the convenience.

Then you say this:

No, I am going based on my personal observations.

You can't claim these things as absolute truths simply because you personally observed it happening. You can claim the above as absolute fact if you have surveys and studies supporting what you are saying. Your own personal observation is a completely unsicentific sampling of a group of passengers on a handful of flights. For instance, it is my own personal observation that people don't like umbrellas because the majority of people I see walking in the rain are not using them. Do you see how absurd that statement is? That is what you are doing by suggesting that what you have observed on your handful of flights is the absolute truth.

Quoting Transpac787 (Reply 22):

Defamation Against The 767-400ER (by 1337Delta764 Jul 7 2011 in Site Related)

Oh jesus. That's one I missed the first time around. Time for a good laugh!
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

dtw2hyd

Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:08 am

Passengers want included IFE

Passengers want programming(both complimentary and paid) thru WiFi but they just want to bring their own device. If I can watch on my own high-def tablet, why would I want a crappy LCD with such low resolution. May be a tablet holder on seat back would be welcome addition. Imagine loosing all those cables, in particular once with wired remote.

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:14 am

Quoting OA412 (Reply 36):

Well, the fact that in-flight Wi-Fi providers are losing money as we know it doesn't convince you that that it is a failing concept? Plus, IFE systems are becoming more advanced and lightweight. If IFE was on its way out there wouldn't be any continued advancement of IFE systems.

jetsetter1969

Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:24 am

I fly regularly for work anywhere between 2hr and 15hr legs and at 6ft and 110kg I appreciate every bit of leg room I can get but on long sectors I do like the IFE. I carry my laptop with me but after 2hrs it is flat so where do i charge it on a 15hr flight? I enjoy looking down and checking out the view and working out where I am then comparing it to the flight map but what if you are overwater, its night or cloud cover? I dont have to get an electronic entertainment fix as i bring a magazine or 2 but on the long flights IFE can be a blessing.

Some Qantas 767s on domestic flights have Ipads with IFE live streaming to them which i find quite effective and no box in the way from what my feet feel.

I have suffered the person banging away on a touch screen game on the the back of my seat but also have had bored kids kicking it and screaming and wrestling so i would take the IFE with the kids happily killing some alien or whatever is the trend these days.

Just my 5 cents worth

johns624

Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:26 am

Quoting OA412 (Reply 15):
I think the better question is why you're seemingly taking this so personally. It's IFE for goodness sake, hardly something to get so worked up about

Exactly. He's actually started a few threads on different types of IFE, stating models and makes.

lhcabincrew

Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:33 am

From my own observations (I work as cabin crew) I have to say that PAX in FIRST or BUS often don't really use them. However in ECO on long-haul's they seem to be happily welcomed by most of our customers. Imagine these old days when you had this big screen in every 20 rows. NAHHHH. IFE is a good technical invention to make your flight a little bit more comfortable. And if you don't want to use it, simply switch it off.

DocLightning

Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:10 am

I have to say, I'm a bigger fan of wifi than IFE. On WiFi I can do whatever I want. If they could just add streaming to that, I might use it. An iPad runs 10 hours on a full charge. You will rarely need 10 full hours on a flight and maybe they can put in some USB ports every few seats.

That said, some passengers don't have tablets. If they can come up with an IFE system that doesn't have the box, then great. But as an airline executive, I might eliminate the IFE, put in USB, and offer WiFi with streaming video (the video content can be stored onboard in a drive the size of a deck of cards and weighing about as much, so it need use no bandwidth except for the trickle of data needed for credit card transactions and the like). Rent out tablets to passengers who don't have their own, just like they used to do with headphones.  

You could make a lot of revenue, cost-effectively maintain a state-of-the-art product, and save a lot of money on fuel and wiring all in one swoop.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

jc2354

Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:27 am

Quoting tommy767 (Reply 26):
A lot of people who are defending the UA decision to remove IFE from 319/320 are simply just apologists in the long run.

I didn't know about this. What was UA's reasoning, weight?

I remember when US removed their systems on their 319 and 320 and I don't think anybody even noticed.
If not now, then when?

United1

Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:32 am

Quoting jc2354 (Reply 43):
I didn't know about this. What was UA's reasoning, weight?

UA is not removing IFE from the A319/A320 fleet. UA is removing the overhead video and installing, new seats, WiFi, power ports and onboard streaming video servers with the same content as you find on the AVOD systems. They are well along with installing the WiFi systems, start installing the power ports early next year and should turn on the streaming video system later this year.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

koruman

Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:38 am

Quoting jetsetter1969 (Reply 39):
I fly regularly for work anywhere between 2hr and 15hr legs and at 6ft and 110kg I appreciate every bit of leg room I can get but on long sectors I do like the IFE. I carry my laptop with me but after 2hrs it is flat so where do i charge it on a 15hr flight?
Quoting 1337Delta764 (Reply 38):
Well, the fact that in-flight Wi-Fi providers are losing money as we know it doesn't convince you that that it is a failing concept?
Quoting DTW2HYD (Reply 37):
Passengers want programming(both complimentary and paid) thru WiFi but they just want to bring their own device. If I can watch on my own high-def tablet, why would I want a crappy LCD with such low resolution

Maybe you only fly very short-haul? And maybe you don't have a family?

My most recent sectors in the USA were:
LAX-IAH-CUN
CUN-IAH-IND
IND-ORD-SNA
IND-ORD-HNL
IND-ORD-SFO-LIH

The chances of my tablet battery surviving any of those journeys apart from the first and second are basically minimal. And the chances of my being able to recharge it during a connection at a hub are minimal too. And that's even before my kids start leaving a tablet in the seatback in front of us, or dropping their tablet, or getting it wet, etc etc.

Those of us why fly to/from Hawaii are well aware that US carriers tend to provide a one-size fits all domestic product whether your flight last 45 minutes or 10 hours.

I quite like seatback IFE, not least because it is gate-to-gate. As I've explained, on longer sectors I much prefer built-in IFE to bring-your-own.

But on short flights too I hate that if you use your own device you basically lose out of 30 minutes.

Quoting silentbob (Reply 30):
The largest percentage of American travelers want the lowest priced ticket. Sure, they want IFE and food and dancing girls in the aisle, as long as it doesn't cost them any more than the ticket that has none of those things

Yes, American consumers may be different. Given your a.net handle, please look up on Youtube the British comedians Harry and Paul, and their spoof American car dealers Bob and Bob. But personally I do not believe that American flyers are that primitive or unsophisticated in their buying habits: I prefer to think that they are prisoners of an anti-competitive aviation market which enforces low standards upon them in a manner similar to Soviet-era Aeroflot.

tommy767

Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:54 am

Quoting United1 (Reply 44):

They are removing IFE -- audio, video, channel 9. Right now all that is available is WiFi and the power ports are not activated yet.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

robsol

Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:55 am

People want IFE that works. On my last 2 DL flights IFE cut off at least 4 times. On one leg I couldn't even finish the movie. If Gogo wasn't so stupidly expensive everyone would use it. I'm sorry but at $10 per hour I'd rather read a book and have that box removed. There is no reason IFE should be so expensive. Provide power at each seat and remove the IFE.

cschleic

Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:59 am

Quoting GentFromAlaska (Reply 33):
It places more pressure on the FAA to authorized limited personal calls on a smart device inflight.

No!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anything but that!

From my observations watching other passengers, many use their laptops, and many have tablets for watching their own movies or reading a book. I often use a laptop to work, but like IFE for the map/flight info, plus some TV shows and occasional movies. But all the ads definitely are annoying, especially those luxury car tests on Delta planes that you can't turn off. Ugh.

As for the boxes under seats, fortunately seatguru points them out (to the degree it's accurate).

koruman

Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:02 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 42):
An iPad runs 10 hours on a full charge. You will rarely need 10 full hours on a flight and maybe they can put in some USB ports every few seats.

That said, some passengers don't have tablets

Firstly, if you're trying to watch streaming video then you're lucky to get 4 hours on an iPad and 2 hours on an iPhone. Very lucky.

Secondly, I would be very, very cautious about this in the USA. The stripping out of food onboard in economy class in the USA means that increasingly when I catch a plane in the USA my neighbours are stinking out the joint with their airport fast food, often including oversized drinks. Tablets don't like moisture, and twice in recent years I've been soaked by my neighbour on domestic flights in the USA.

Which means, of course, that people with no IFE will use their tablet or smartphone - especially if there is free streaming content. And apart from getting them wet, they will put them in the seatback in front of them, and a substantial proportion will forget to take it with them.

On my recent LAX-IAH and ORD-SNA flights it was great that the whole family could enjoy the IFE (well, we were in First Class, but that's another story). I wouldn't like to have been responsible the night before for charging multiple tablets. And when I fly back on 2 hour flights from MEL to OOL or BNE in Australia after a business meeting, my iPad is usually at best 30% charged at the outset.

Streaming IFE is horrible. I've encountered it on Scoot Business Class and Virgin Australia Economy Class, and I hate it.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos