QF175
Topic Author

Australian Aviation Thread # 76

Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:21 pm

G'day and welcome to the Australian Aviation Thread # 76. In the previous thread, the following points were discussed/raised:

* Virgin Australia announces Velocity points for transporting pets
* Brindabella Airlines & Qantas announce codesharing agreement
* EVA Air ups Brisbane frequencies to 3 over Christmas
* Qantas mulls more Gold Coast flights
* Brisbane and Melbourne Airport growth
* Image of Jetstar's first 787 VH-VKA
* Ansett collapse and growth of then Virgin Blue
* Tiger Airways rebrands as Tigerair
* Malaysia Airlines confirms Darwin flights with 737s from November 2013
* Jetstar confirms cancellation of Gold Coast - Perth flights effective 27 October 2013
* Thai Airways to fly its new 777-300ERs on Brisbane - Bangkok from February 2014
* Perth Airport movements
* Jetstar Hong Kong
* Increased Parking fees at Melbourne Airport
* Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast Airports
* Connect Jet confirms plans to start Dubbo - Griffith - Melbourne (Essendon) flights
* Emirates A380 promos at Brisbane Airport
* Qantas Frequent Flyer point changes on AA
* Alitalia looking at expanded codeshare services to Australia
* Jetstar 787 billboard
* Virgin Australia announces codeshare and FF partnership with Airberlin
* Emirates reportedly planning to fly A380s to Perth from March 2014
* China Airlines reportedly planning to operate 747s on the Brisbane - Taipei route over Christmas
* Qantas completes the cabin reconfiguration program on its A380s
* Qantas releases the most popular destinations for Frequent Flyer redemptions
* Emirates extremely happy with their Adelaide flights
* Virgin Australia network disruption
* Another Antonov arrives in Australia from New Zealand
* Jetstar to recommence Brisbane - Hobart flights from 27 October 2013

Australian Aviation Thread # 75

Pleasing to see that we won't have to put up with a certain poster's drivel and unqualified statements any longer!

RyanairGuru

RE: Australian Aviation Thread # 76

Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:30 am

Well to get the ball rolling, in #77 we had a bit of discussion about HA at BNE...

The HA Q2 results have been released, and as LAXintl has helpfully provided us with a precis of the earnings call two comments caught my eye:

1) BNE is "maturing fast" - this is really great to see, I wish them the best in Brisbane

2) There has been a 20% capacity increase by competitors in the ANZ-HA market [i.e. JQ+NZ] - it will be interesting to see if this is sustainable...

Hawaiian Air Post Q2 Profit - $12.6 Million Net (by LAXintl Jul 23 2013 in Civil Aviation)
Worked Hard, Flew Right

IndianicWorld

Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:33 am

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 1):
2) There has been a 20% capacity increase by competitors in the ANZ-HA market [i.e. JQ+NZ] - it will be interesting to see if this is sustainable...

As the dollar drops, the real pressure will start to come.

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 1):
1) BNE is "maturing fast" - this is really great to see, I wish them the best in Brisbane

Good to see they are seeing progress there so far.

RyanairGuru

Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:37 am

Quoting IndianicWorld (Reply 2):
As the dollar drops, the real pressure will start to come.

Definitely. This is what I said in the last thread during a discussion with a certain person:

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 181):
Hawai'i tourism ex Australia has been artificially high for the last couple of years due to the high Australian Dollar. This made Hawai'i much more affordable for people who would otherwise have considered Fiji or Phuket, and also made it a very attractive shopping destination. The moneyed crowd would go for the weekend to shop in Neiman Marcus (at half the price of David Jones) and the savings would just about pay for the trip. Both of those sources of visitors will be impacted if the Australian Dollar continues to fall.

JQ will be affected more than HA as the latter can feed into the US mainland, but it is going to be interesting to see how sustainable the massive growth in Australia-Hawai'i traffic will prove to be.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

IndianicWorld

Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:42 am

^^ Good analysis of the situation.

You would likely see QF move out of the market first if things do fall, with JQ used as the remaining group brand.

JQ's lower costs would allow it to better compete with HA in that situation. Its fine at present, but that would change as the dollar drops.

vhebb

Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:30 am

QF and EK are set to announce the joint Trans Tasman operation tomorrow.

Wonder what the new combined schedule will look like... And if any new routes are talked about, ADL-AKL, PER-AKL or even BNE to CHC or WLG would be nice!

JQflightie

Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:48 am

Can anyone tell me why there is a AirNorth E170 just departing SYD now?
It would have departed around 2030 and is heading north now.
Charter??
Next Trip: PER-DPS-KUL-BKK-HKT-CNX-BKK-SIN-PER

koruman

Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:26 am

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 3):
Hawai'i tourism ex Australia has been artificially high for the last couple of years due to the high Australian Dollar. This made Hawai'i much more affordable for people who would otherwise have considered Fiji or Phuket, and also made it a very attractive shopping destination

I guess that I'm now about to be flamed like a certain absent poster for expounding opinions without facts to back them up.

I share the concern, but only if the A$ falls below around US$0.85.

I would argue that Hawaii tourism ex-Australia has been corrected after a long artificial low caused by an unrealistically low exchange rate. To me, as someone who spends considerable time in both Australia and the USA I would argue that dollar parity is about right, and that if Australian exporters cannot cope with the dollar at that level that tells us far more about the inflated prices we pay in this country due to a very small number of companies having a stranglehold over the key levers of the economy. That is what happens when you under-regulate the economy in a country with fewer than 25 million consumers. But that's an argument for elsewhere.

I visited Phuket for the first time earlier this year after making several trips to Hawaii each year for as long as I can remember. I knew all about the flesh trade, but I expected hotels and restaurants to be considerably cheaper than Hawaii (they weren't) and I imagined that the imitation designer goods would be plausible rather than the comically cheap crap they actually are. And that's before being endlessly hassled by people trying to peddle everything from massages to, ahem, other things. And also before watching Russian guests at my hotel's private beach at Karon using the beach as a receptacle for every body fluid from spit to urine in broad daylight.

I found myself thinking that Phuket was inferior in every possible respect to Hawaii as a destination, and that its only market advantage would be at extremely cheap prices. But given that I bought 4 pairs of designer jeans at Macy's in Orange County last week for less than A$150 in total - and I have no doubts about their authenticity - I struggle to see how Phuket can possibly compete with Hawaii for Australian tourism except in the sex tourism niche or when the A$ is undervalued again.

Incidentally, I think that Hawaii remains a partly untapped market ex-Australia.

Waikiki from 2 to 5 stars is pretty comprehensively served. But the neighbor islands remain places where it is a shock to the system to hear an Aussie accent, and the top end of the market - the Four Seasons, Ritz-Carlton and St Regis properties - seem to get virtually no Australian guests at all.

ADDICT4QF

Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:27 am

It is arguable that as the AUD falls, price sensitive consumers will begin to leave the OZ-HNL market, which would have travelled on JQ (rather than QF). There could be merit in JQ pulling back some capacity, as opposed to QF.

koruman

Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:39 am

Quoting ADDICT4QF (Reply 8):
It is arguable that as the AUD falls, price sensitive consumers will begin to leave the OZ-HNL market, which would have travelled on JQ (rather than QF). There could be merit in JQ pulling back some capacity, as opposed to QF.

I couldn't agree more.

Hawaii is pretty obviously a market more suited to a full-service than an LCC model for flights of this length from Australia, as the success of Hawaiian and Qantas shows.

In my opinion, the number of Jetstar flights owes everything to Qantas Group strategy being to siphon off to Jetstar as much as possible of a profitable route to inflate its results. Qantas is allowed a nibble simply because management are at least able to see that a substantial part of the market won't fly Jetstar under any circumstances, and they would rather keep some of that higher-yielding traffic rather than gift it all to Hawaiian, which if they did it would take their policy beyond the current deliberate damage to their main brand and artificial inflation of Jetstar, beyond arguably into the realms of near-criminal mismanagement.

I would say that the economic argument should be as follows:

If the A$ goes above US1.10, consider Qantas exiting and Jetstar increasing capacity.

If the A$ goes below US$0.90, consider Jetstar exiting and Qantas increasing capacity.

TN486

Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:17 pm

Quoting koruman (Reply 7):
I visited Phuket for the first time earlier this year after making several trips to Hawaii each year for as long as I can remember. I knew all about the flesh trade, but I expected hotels and restaurants to be considerably cheaper than Hawaii (they weren't) and I imagined that the imitation designer goods would be plausible rather than the comically cheap crap they actually are. And that's before being endlessly hassled by people trying to peddle everything from massages to, ahem, other things. And also before watching Russian guests at my hotel's private beach at Karon using the beach as a receptacle for every body fluid from spit to urine in broad dayligh

Thank you sir, I have just crossed Phuket off my "bucket list".
remember the t shirt "I own an airline"on the front - "qantas" on the back

EK413

Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:24 pm

Quoting TN486 (Reply 10):
I visited Phuket for the first time earlier this year after making several trips to Hawaii each year for as long as I can remember. I knew all about the flesh trade, but I expected hotels and restaurants to be considerably cheaper than Hawaii (they weren't) and I imagined that the imitation designer goods would be plausible rather than the comically cheap crap they actually are. And that's before being endlessly hassled by people trying to peddle everything from massages to, ahem, other things. And also before watching Russian guests at my hotel's private beach at Karon using the beach as a receptacle for every body fluid from spit to urine in broad dayligh

Thank you sir, I have just crossed Phuket off my "bucket list".

Don't allow 1 negative feedback response cross Phuket off your bucket list. For starters people go to Patong Beach or Karon Beach & then claim they've been to Phuket. Phuket is made of 100s of beaches and I can tell you there are far better beaches and destinations in Thailand which I'd visit / visited prior to going to "Phuket".

EK8413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

DeltaB717

Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:25 pm

Quoting JQflightie (Reply 6):
Can anyone tell me why there is a AirNorth E170 just departing SYD now?
It would have departed around 2030 and is heading north now.
Charter??

Flight numbers are a bit ambiguous but from the routing I'd imagine Defence charter. Reg is VH-ANV

[Edited 2013-07-24 16:26:29]

qfvhoqa

Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:45 pm

Following on from the discussion of JQ starting BNE-HBA, I hear that as a result they are ending OOL-HBA.

RyanairGuru

Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:15 am

Quoting QFVHOQA (Reply 13):
Following on from the discussion of JQ starting BNE-HBA, I hear that as a result they are ending OOL-HBA.

I'm sure that Koruman will have something to say about OOL and BNE being different markets, and to an extent I agree with him, but IMHO if you are going to serve just one of them it still makes sense to fly to BNE.

While there is general awareness in Brisbane that you can get cheap flights to Japan, Malaysia, and Singapore from OOL, I would expect that there are fewer people who would think of OOL for domestic flights.

With BNE you bring in the entire SEQ market, most obviously including the city of Brisbane, but also the Sunshine Coast, Ipswich, and even Toowoomba.

The north bound leisure traffic is likely to simply fly to BNE and rent a car, as opposed to fly to OOL and rent a car. While it adds an hour or so to your journey, I still think that the northbound leisure traffic would choose BNE over a stopover in MEL or SYD, especially if the fairs are lower, which I expect that they will be. Moreover, sticking with the northbound leisure market, this means that JQ now offer the Sunshine Coast to the Hobart market. Maybe I'm biased, but I prefer the north side!

For southbound traffic, the advantages are obvious. The market is significantly larger, and a lot of people on the Gold Coast, especially around Southport and up, taking in Helensvale etc. would probably drive to BNE as opposed to OOL and then stop at SYD or MEL.

While I would like to see both served, and I wouldn't be surprised if they both are at some point in the future, if they feel that they can only make one SEQ airport work, then I think that BNE is optimal.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

RyanairGuru

Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:18 am

Quoting EK413 (Reply 11):
Don't allow 1 negative feedback response cross Phuket off your bucket list. For starters people go to Patong Beach or Karon Beach & then claim they've been to Phuket

Too true, I mentioned in the last thread someone I know who has just been to the "other side" of Bali. She planned to go for a week or so, and ended up staying for three months! The only reason she came back was that her visa expired. My first cynical thought was "other than drugs, what do you do in Bali for three months?!"

I couldn't believe some of her stories. It sounds like a truly wonderful and fascinating place if you go to the right places. She was staying in a small fishing village that only the hardiest of souls made the effort to get to. She may as well have been on another planet to Kuta, but to my shame I wasn't really aware that there was much to Bali other than Kuta.

I don't blame you, Koruman, neither Bali nor Phuket are on my "to do" list, but for those that have the time to find them then there are some real gems. I guess it's much easier for a 20 year old with a backpack and no reservation, than for you with a family and a resort booked to make these discoveries.

I guess that I'm now about to be flamed like a certain absent poster for expounding opinions without facts to back them up

Not from me. While I don't always agree with all of your points, I nonetheless respect both you and your opinions.

My best friend and I are on the opposite side of aisle when it comes to politics (and also airlines - I'm a Qantas boy, whereas he goes into bat for the other side). We can sometimes have some heated conversations, but we both recognise the other as having legitimate views, and also we've been mates forever so we're not going to let that get in the way of anything.

We have two common acquaintances, however, who have some crazy ideas, one on the far left and one on the far right. I don't respect their opinions, and won't give them the time of day, mostly because I think that they're just trying to wind people up and grab attention, rather because they actually believe everything that they're saying.

That's the difference between you and the other person, as far I'm concerned  
I would argue that Hawaii tourism ex-Australia has been corrected after a long artificial low caused by an unrealistically low exchange rate

That's an interesting argument, and do see where you are coming from with regards to the potential for tourism in HI.

However, given that even 85c is above long-term trends I would still say that level represents "normal" demand to HI, and when the AUD goes above that level then we start to generate additional demand. Just my opinion

as someone who spends considerable time in both Australia and the USA I would argue that dollar parity is about right

A man of my own heart   

We probably benefit disproportionately, and our judgment is therefore clouded somewhat, but I agree 100%

if Australian exporters cannot cope with the dollar at that level that tells us far more about the inflated prices we pay in this country due to a very small number of companies having a stranglehold over the key levers of the economy

That is what happens when you under-regulate the economy in a country with fewer than 25 million consumers

This is where we differ, as you say it's a discussion for someplace else, but I would say that we're over-regulated. If our industries aren't efficient then we need to except that the world has changed, and figure out where our advantages lie.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

koruman

Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:40 am

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 14):
I'm sure that Koruman will have something to say about OOL and BNE being different markets, and to an extent I agree with him, but IMHO if you are going to serve just one of them it still makes sense to fly to BNE.

While there is general awareness in Brisbane that you can get cheap flights to Japan, Malaysia, and Singapore from OOL, I would expect that there are fewer people who would think of OOL for domestic flights.

With BNE you bring in the entire SEQ market, most obviously including the city of Brisbane, but also the Sunshine Coast, Ipswich, and even Toowoomba.

Unfortunately, I agree.

Transport links are so appalling in southeast Queensland that no sane Brisbane resident is going to take a domestic flight from OOL. The 80km "fast" train from Robina to Brisbane Airport takes practically two hours - three times as long as equivalent journeys in Europe - while airport parking costs are absurd at both OOL and BNE, both at the airport and offsite. In that context, the closer airport is always going to prevail.

The result is a splintered market, one in which small domestic destinations will always be more viable from BNE than OOL simply because its direct catchment area is three times as big..

mariner

Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:28 am

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 15):
I couldn't believe some of her stories. It sounds like a truly wonderful and fascinating place if you go to the right places. She was staying in a small fishing village that only the hardiest of souls made the effort to get to. She may as well have been on another planet to Kuta, but to my shame I wasn't really aware that there was much to Bali other than Kuta.

Start with Singaraja, which has an old colonial feel to it. The beaches may not be as good (some small beaches are great), but the marine life is wonderful, countless dolphins sometimes.

If you want a "catered vacation" there are some good hotels at Lovina Beach - not as ritzy or cosmopolitan as on the south side of the island, but still fine and without the tourist hordes - the Puri Bagas, e.g.:

http://www.lovina.puribagus.net
http://www.padmasariresort.com/
http://www.nugrahalovina.com

Because there are fewer tourists there is more contact with the locals and I've always found them very friendly. Further to the west the population is more ethnically mixed as many Javanese have moved there, especially around Gilimanuk - (there's a mosque) - where you can get a ferry to Java.

What to do? What to do anywhere in Bali other than enjoy. I get very bored with beaches very quickly and I've met some very interesting off-the-beaten-track people, having an adventure, not a beach blot-out.

All along the coast there are small towns and fishing villages, and there's usually somewhere to stay and somewhere to eat - but don't expect to find discos or MacDonalds.

It isn't for everyone - it may not be for some here - but generally, the north now is what the south was like thirty years ago.

mariner

[Edited 2013-07-24 20:36:24]
aeternum nauta

nirvarma

Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:58 am

Anybody know why AC34 SYD - YVR is diverting to BNE?
http://www.flightradar24.com/ACA34

Cheers
NV

eaglefarm4

Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:57 am

I heard the tower acknowledge a Pan Pan.
tourismman

ZuluAlpha

Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:53 am

Today QF officially unveiled its Trans Tasman QF / EK tie up. It's nothing that we here knew what was going to happen. Shame there was nothing about the much rumoured PER / AKL EK flight.

http://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/med...mirates-partnership-in-new-zealand
Flown on:_CRJ, CR& D10 DHT DH8, DH2, DH3, DH4, EMB, E45, E75, E90, F28 J32 M80 SH6 320, 32B, 332, 333, 380, 717, 732, 733, 734, 73H, 743, 744, 752 762, 763, 772, 77W

RyanairGuru

Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:16 am

Quoting ZuluAlpha (Reply 20):

Today QF officially unveiled its Trans Tasman QF / EK tie up

Just to be clear, nothing has changed from a customer standpoint other than codesharing and joint sales? There were no news routes etc?

The internal inconsistency in that PR is quite amusing, QF are claiming that there will be "about 130" TT services per week, wheras EK are saying "over 140".

Maybe there is still an announcement to come after all     
Worked Hard, Flew Right

ZuluAlpha

Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:34 am

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 21):
Just to be clear, nothing has changed from a customer standpoint other than codesharing and joint sales? There were no news routes etc?

Correct, It is as per the status-quo. The biggest difference IMO will see EK entering the market on the WLG and ZQN flights via codeshare.

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 21):
Maybe there is still an announcement to come after all

Hmm .. Possible, we will just have to be patient and see what eventuates
Flown on:_CRJ, CR& D10 DHT DH8, DH2, DH3, DH4, EMB, E45, E75, E90, F28 J32 M80 SH6 320, 32B, 332, 333, 380, 717, 732, 733, 734, 73H, 743, 744, 752 762, 763, 772, 77W

qfvhoqa

Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:17 am

Today QF officially unveiled its Trans Tasman QF / EK tie up.

Does QF have the aircraft to operate ADL/PER-AKL? ADL-AKL could be done easily on a 738, but PER-AKL would have to be a 763. I suppose they could delay the retirement of a 763 when more A332s arrive from JQ.

EK can't fit in ADL-AKL with their current timings as the late arrival to ADL would mean arriving AKL ~3am. If they switched to the afternoon departure bank then it's possible, but a 77W is really overkill for ADL-AKL.

To me, PER-AKL looks more likely on EK. EK420 could extend to AKL with a decent schedule, however mirrors NZ's flight to AKL.

ZuluAlpha

Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:56 am

Quoting QFVHOQA (Reply 23):
Does QF have the aircraft to operate ADL/PER-AKL? ADL-AKL could be done easily on a 738, but PER-AKL would have to be a 763. I suppose they could delay the retirement of a 763 when more A332s arrive from JQ.

They could have the aircraft to fly (Not so sure about jet connect), however QF did try ADL/AKL once and well, it didn't last very long, from memory, less than 12 months.

To me, PER-AKL looks more likely on EK. EK420 could extend to AKL with a decent schedule, however mirrors NZ's flight to AKL.

Agree, Don't think we will see QF metal on this if this ever goes ahead, IMO I think it will be the EK

EK413

Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:52 am

Quoting ZuluAlpha (Reply 24):

They could have the aircraft to fly (Not so sure about jet connect), however QF did try ADL/AKL once and well, it didn't last very long, from memory, less than 12 months.

Agree, Don't think we will see QF metal on this if this ever goes ahead, IMO I think it will be the EK

Haven't EK reached their limit on the Trans Tasman routes?

EK8413

smi0006

Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:23 pm

The biggest change for customers s they are now able to access lounges for each carrier inline with their lounge policy for Europe, Afric and the Middle-Astern flights. Previously this access was not available across the Tasman, which proved confusing for man passengers. Frequent flyer benifits such as accrual and lush as allowances are also now applicable.

Moving forward, would QF have any spare A332 capacity for a PER-AKL flight, I'm sure if times to connect with both the QR and EK arrivals there would be sufficient feed and local demand for the route.. With QR joining oneworld soon, there is no real reason why a QR & EK code cant be applied to a QF flight. The current QR flight doesn't connect out of MEL to AKL, so a PER connection would be good for their network also. As QR are bilaterally maxed out into Australia I am sure the will be code sharing with QF to some degree to allow some form of limited penetration into the AUS market, unless the offer connections out of KUL with MH - anyway side ramblings.

Traveled between CBR and MEL on QF over the weekend, on a 734. Must say the crew were exceptional both ways. An older exceptionally sophisticated female old-school CSM on the way up- very classy! Must say cabin was in great condition, but smelt aweful from the bathrooms on the ground. The forward galley seemed a lot bigger then I ever recall (and certainly bigger then the 738 galleys) have QF only got one galley config for the 734s? And I'm just getting old? Or have never been very observant?

ZK-NBT

Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:54 am

Quoting EK413 (Reply 25):
Haven't EK reached their limit on the Trans Tasman routes?

Yes.

Not gonna happen unless as above the bilateral is amended. There isn't alot of options for PER-AKL schedules, I'm guessing QF would use a A332 connecting from EK flights offering another DXB-AKL option. Something like

PER 1900 AKL 0600
AKL 0900 PER 1130
or
PER 0100 AKL 1200
AKL 1400 PER 1630 or AKL 1700 PER 1930

EK can't fit in ADL-AKL with their current timings as the late arrival to ADL would mean arriving AKL ~3am. If they switched to the afternoon departure bank then it's possible, but a 77W is really overkill for ADL-AKL.

AKL would be operated by Jetconnect if they have an aircraft connecting to EK IMO.

AKL 1830 ADL 2100
ADL 2215 AKL 0500

RyanairGuru

Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:44 am

Quoting smi0006 (Reply 26):
As QR are bilaterally maxed out into Australia I am sure the will be code sharing with QF to some degree to allow some form of limited penetration into the AUS market

I agree, QR already sells connections through QF and VA over MEL and PER (for example you can go to the QR website and book a flight from BNE) but a more expansive codeshare agreement would allow QR more "recognition" and mean that more passengers are likely to be aware of them as an option.

Quoting smi0006 (Reply 26):
Traveled between CBR and MEL on QF over the weekend, on a 734. Must say the crew were exceptional both ways. An older exceptionally sophisticated female old-school CSM on the way up- very classy! Must say cabin was in great condition

That's great to hear, I agree that the 734s are holding up relatively well
Worked Hard, Flew Right

FlyboyOz

Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:07 am

China Airlines will operate its B744 between TPE and BNE in summer (between Dec to Feb)

Eva Air has changed its flight schedule - Arrive BNE in the morning and will depart at late night. Stay in the BNE for one whole day?
The Spirit of AustraliAN - Longreach

qfvhoqa

Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:23 am

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 28):
That's great to hear, I agree that the 734s are holding up relatively well

I have to say, compared to BA's 734s they are as good as new!

zkokq

Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:18 am

Quoting FlyboyOz (Reply 29):

As far as I am aware that is not a change at all. Thats how it currently is.

Sandgroper

Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:02 am

Today QF officially unveiled its Trans Tasman QF / EK tie up. It's nothing that we here knew what was going to happen. Shame there was nothing about the much rumoured PER / AKL EK flight.

http://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/med...mirates-partnership-in-new-zealand

Well if Perth Airport could get their act together with A380 air bridges EK maybe interested in pushing more demand via AKL through PER with an QF relationship.
Sandgroper

IndianicWorld

Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:18 am

Quoting Sandgroper (Reply 32):
Well if Perth Airport could get their act together with A380 air bridges EK maybe interested in pushing more demand via AKL through PER with an QF relationship.

I don't think it really needs to get onto the PER-AKL route. Not sure 2 carriers on that sector would do that well TBH.

Will QF want to allocate a A330 at PER to perform this route? EK can't really assist on this one.

EK's Trans Tasman flights via MEL/SYD/BNE are mainly designed to maximise utilisation, which given those sector times to AKL is fine, but PER does not have that luxury. Operationally that would not be an easy task.

Any AKL demand is easily catered to via the East Coast hubs and that will likely be how it stays.

EK413

Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:47 am

Earlier in the week I mentioned vast amount of earth work at SYD & it appears to be additional hard stands considering the airport is struggling wouldn't surprise me if its used to disembark and board flights???

http://i1362.photobucket.com/albums/r687/pcl138/null_zpsc20d0d77.jpg

http://i1362.photobucket.com/albums/r687/pcl138/null_zps9bfcaa1b.jpg

http://i1362.photobucket.com/albums/r687/pcl138/null_zps5b806fc7.jpg

Kevin Rudd has given the B737BBJ the flick in favour of the A330 tanker. Sorry about the quality of the photos taken with iPhone

http://i1362.photobucket.com/albums/r687/pcl138/null_zps84152de1.jpg

EK8413

TruemanQLD

Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:07 pm

Quoting EK413 (Reply 34):
Kevin Rudd has given the B737BBJ the flick in favour of the A330 tanker. Sorry about the quality of the photos taken with iPhone

A much more impressive transport   I thought the BBJ's would be more luxurious and better suited? No?

IndianicWorld

Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:32 pm

^^ Didn't he go to Afghanistan? Maybe this was considered a better choice for that mission. It may have also been carrying additional cargo for troops there.

EK413

Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:40 pm

Quoting TruemanQLD (Reply 35):
A much more impressive transport I thought the BBJ's would be more luxurious and better suited? No?

Give me the A330 anyday but your right the BBJ would be more luxurious

Quoting IndianicWorld (Reply 36):

^^ Didn't he go to Afghanistan? Maybe this was considered a better choice for that mission. It may have also been carrying additional cargo for troops there.

Yes, he sure did. His BBJ is parked right behind the tanker but I saw K. Rudd & wife disembark from the A330 probably better choice for the mission considering its camouflage scheme.

EK8413

eaglefarm4

Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:59 pm

Quoting Sandgroper (Reply 32):

Emirates will start A380's on 01 March DXB-PER-DXB on the EK420/421

Quoting FlyboyOz (Reply 29):

EVA has been doing this for the past year.Arrive in the morning and depart at night.

The CI news already reported in this thread or the previous.
tourismman

ZuluAlpha

Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:15 pm

Quoting TruemanQLD (Reply 35):
A much more impressive transport   I thought the BBJ's would be more luxurious and better suited? No?

Wasn't their talk a while back that the Australian government was looking at a replacement for the governments VIP fleet of BBJ? Or am I completely off the mark?

qfvhoqa

Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:32 am

D7 is starting ADL-KUL 5x weekly from October 31. The AirAsia website is offering $99 launch fares but I can't seem to get it to load the timings.

AirAsia X to fly Adelaide-Kuala Lumpur route

MH will feel the pressure once this starts - could they exit ADL?

IndianicWorld

Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:53 am

Quoting QFVHOQA (Reply 40):

I can't see there being room for 2 carriers on ADL-KUL, and the D7 cost base will likely be a major benefit over MH.

The premium market is not huge from ADL either, making it even harder for MH to do well in the face of competition. The only saving grace may be the OW connection with MH.

Interesting move.

With D7 moving to 2 x daily on their MEL, SYD and PER routes, and the OOL route hanging in there in there also, D7 certainly are upping their focus on Australia.

IndianicWorld

Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:14 am

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vic...y8217/story-fni0fit3-1226687150609

HERALD Sun readers are largely opposed to a proposal for an airport at Melbourne's Docklands precinct, saying funds would be better spent building a rail link to Tullamarine Airport.

The airport has been proposed by a parliamentary committee after a taxpayer-funded overseas summer jaunt.

The outer suburban/interface services and development committee, made up of three Liberal and two Labor MPs, says the Victorian Government should consider a "city airport" to better service low-cost segments of the aviation market.

"The committee believes that a Melbourne City Airport could be a useful ... particularly for commuter-type domestic flights and short-haul international flights such as to New Zealand," the report said.

Committee chair Jan Kronberg and her Liberal colleague Cindy McLeish travelled with Labor MPs Natalie Hutchins and Judith Graley to Vancouver, Calgary and Toronto last year.

Ms Kronberg and Ms McLeish then continued on to Zurich and London.

The pair visited the London City Airport, 11km east of the city centre, and recommended Melbourne consider a similar development.

"Such an airport could be a useful addition as part of a comprehensive brownfield redevelopment area near the centre of Melbourne, such as Docklands," said the report, which was tabled in Parliament in June.

But Herald Sun readers said funds would be better spent building a rail link to Tullamarine.

"It would be a waste of money, but a rail link to Tullamarine would be better as Sydney already has a rail link to the airport from the central station in Sydney,” Martin Cronk said.

“Stupid idea! The Essendon airport is close enough to the CBD,” Stephen Grech said.

“I’m sure that a taxpayer funded rail link to Tullamarine would be a much better and cheaper option,” Ashley Donnet said.

Many readers suggested that the proposal had not been well thought through, and there would be many more problems rather than solutions created with an airport at the Docklands.

"Where are they going to find 3.5km of flat straight ground for each runway, also not forgetting the need for clear air space for the approach and departure of aircraft," Paul Van Den Akker said.

"It's a waste of time building all those apartments then! Who wants to live on a runway! ?” Matilda Maz said.

"What about the buildings? The only way this would work is for sea planes or similar size anything greater would clip buildings,” Emily Humphreys said.

Docklands Community Association President Roger Gardner tyesterday said it was a "crazy idea".

"It doesn't seem as though anybody's really thought that through," he said.

"There isn't any space left in Docklands. Any open space that we manage to have is very precious and the last thing we'd want is an airport on it."

Architect and urban designer Markus Jung said the London City Airport serviced the whole of Europe and Melbourne did not have that level of demand.

"It's not enough if a Government says we want to have an airport, it has a lot of follow-up questions - how will it affect communities, who is going to be exposed to acoustic pollution by these aircraft ... what does it mean for the existing airports if a new airport is going to be built?" Mr Jung said.

Aerospace-Aviation Australia Executive Director Paul Fox said Victoria had the best capital city airport infrastructure in the country and the existing Essendon Airport was closer to Melbourne's CBD than the Docklands airport was to London.

"While it's always great to see politicians and government looking forward with airport and aviation infrastructure in mind, I don't think there's a need in the short-term for an inner-city airport," Mr Fox said.

Opposition spokesman Murray Newton said it was "nothing more than a pie in the sky" idea.

The Government was considering the report and would respond in due time, spokeswoman Deborah Cole said.

--------

Some of the funniest reading all day. Seriously... An airport in Docklands? What were these people smoking?  

All Melbourne now needs is to open up access to commuter planes out of Moorabbin airport to serve the Sth East, or another airport built out there in the next 20 years to open up access to the growing areas out there, along with enhancing tourism benefits for the Mornington Peninsula, Gippsland and Phillip Island.

Add in a rail connection to MEL, and we have a network of airports to serve the city, with AVV being a Geelong/Surf Coast/Outer West airport, MEL being the main hub and the Sth East having its own to service those markets listed above.

RyanairGuru

Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:14 am

Good God! Now I really have heard it all 
Quoting IndianicWorld (Reply 42):
Victorian Government should consider a "city airport" to better service low-cost segments of the aviation market

That's the be the most bizarre comment of all. Can anyone name a "city airport" that "better service low-cost segments"? LCY...nup. LGA...yeah no. DCA...that's a funny one. YTZ...no. Even the likes of HND have less low-cost service.

I guess I could see the idea it in principle. At peak times QF have 4 flights per hour SYD-MEL. Having 2 SYD-Tullamarine (for the MEL-SYD market) and 2 SYD-Docklands (for the SYD-MEL market) could vaguely make sense, as it could help ease congestion at MEL.

This ignores, of course, that the most congested part of MEL is International, not Domestic, as the International Terminal is completely choked by T1 and T3.

It's good to see that the infrastructure planners in Victoria are as incompetent as the rest of the country  
Worked Hard, Flew Right

IndianicWorld

Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:33 am

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 43):
It's good to see that the infrastructure planners in Victoria are as incompetent as the rest of the country

The sickness is spreading  

To be fair, I guess they had to come up with some kind of idea to justify the trip. I'm sure though that something more logical could have been found if they had any clue.

qfvhoqa

Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:41 am

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 43):
That's the be the most bizarre comment of all. Can anyone name a "city airport" that "better service low-cost segments"? LCY...nup. LGA...yeah no. DCA...that's a funny one. YTZ...no. Even the likes of HND have less low-cost service.

Closest would be CIA - it's 14km from the Colosseum while FCO is 28km away. CIA only hosts flights from FR & W6 but is inferior to FCO (and that's saying something).

Wasn't there a proposal recently to build an airport in the east of Melbourne?

ZK-NBT

Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:54 am

D7 is starting ADL-KUL 5x weekly from October 31. The AirAsia website is offering $99 launch fares but I can't seem to get it to load the timings.

4x weekly I thought. Good for ADL anyway!

Interesting MH will add an 8th weekly ADL service for a 4 week period during December January.

RyanairGuru

Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:56 am

Quoting QFVHOQA (Reply 45):
Closest would be CIA

You jogged my memory: Gothenburg is another. Ryanair and Wizz fly to "Gothenburg City Airport" (9.3km) as opposed to Landvetter (20km)

Quoting QFVHOQA (Reply 45):
is inferior to FCO (and that's saying something)

Never been to CIA, but if FCO is anything to go by....

Actually, the quality of Italian airport infrastructure is generally crap IMHO. I've been to PSA, CTA, NAP, FCO and they are all diabolical - FCO is the worse though because it is so much bigger, which means that there is a lot more grossness to enjoy  
Worked Hard, Flew Right

qfvhoqa

Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:44 am

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 47):
Actually, the quality of Italian airport infrastructure is generally crap IMHO. I've been to PSA, CTA, NAP, FCO and they are all diabolical - FCO is the worse though because it is so much bigger, which means that there is a lot more grossness to enjoy

MDW is another if you consider WN to still be an LCC.

Off topic i know, but FCO was indeed quite the disgrace when I flew out of there last year. And despite VCE being a small airport it was nearly impossible to find the wharf. Signs were non-existent.

But I think the prize actually goes to JMK, where a stray cat was waiting next to me as I checked in. The baggage system was broken, so I had to carry my own bags from the check in counter to the X-ray machine. The X-ray machine was sitting in the corner of the check in hall for all to see.

Quoting ZK-NBT (Reply 46):
Interesting MH will add an 8th weekly ADL service for a 4 week period during December January.

MH must be doing better than I thought. They might be picking up the Asia-bound oneworld traffic after QF left. CX doesn't serve ADL daily and is too far north for SIN/BKK/BOM connections.

RyanairGuru

Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:06 am

Quoting QFVHOQA (Reply 48):
I think the prize actually goes to JMK, where a stray cat was waiting next to me as I checked in. The baggage system was broken, so I had to carry my own bags from the check in counter to the X-ray machine. The X-ray machine was sitting in the corner of the check in hall for all to see.

hahahahaha

Now you've opened a whole new kettle of fish! The quality of Italian airports is superb compared to Greece. Let's just say that I have "fond" memories of Greek airports   

(VOL was far and away the worst)

Back on topic:

Quoting QFVHOQA (Reply 48):
MH must be doing better than I thought. They might be picking up the Asia-bound oneworld traffic after QF left

That's a very good point, MH are probably doing relatively well in ADL on the back of being the only real OW presence.

CX is less-than-daily and via MEL
Worked Hard, Flew Right