dellatorre

New Routes From US To South America!

Sat Oct 28, 2000 1:46 pm

I see this as a new wave coming from the areas that nowadays are poorly served in this market.

The West is the key for S. America now. Northeast and Florida are just too expanded. I suggest that important hubs such as SFO, LAX and PHX could reveal a very good potential on such routes.

LAX: Is well served by Varig, Lanchile and Aerolineas, but important cities such as GIG, CCS, BOG and VVI don´t have n-stop service.

SFO: Really abandoned by carriers. At least a GRU or BOG service should be included.

PHX: CCS and BOG may work out.

SAN: Planning something??????

Any options????????

aio86

RE: New Routes From US To South America!

Sat Oct 28, 2000 2:23 pm

Yes, this is a good point although I must correct you. Avianca Colombia "Lo Primero Linea de Colombia" has many weekly (I'm not sure if it's daily) flights to and from LAX- Bogota. Depending upon the date and season they stop in Mexico City for under an hour or Cancun (both on 757-200). Do you need evidence, see the below shot...
-Aaron

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Richard Silagi

Trvlr

Sun Oct 29, 2000 2:56 am

Once SAN gets a new airport it could be a very likely candidate for accepting overflow routes from LAX, Probably in the form of a Varig flight to GRU. Right now, however, Nothing above a 767 to Central America could work right now because of the small size of the airport.

Aaron G.

Rafabozzolla

Sun Oct 29, 2000 5:42 am

I must disagree with you. The next logical step for Varig in the west would be SFO. Dont you forget that RG is partner of UA, and, where is UA's big hub in the west?

The777Man

Sun Oct 29, 2000 5:55 am

I think Varig may try IAD nonstop from GRU rather than flying thru ATL as they did before. Perhaps also JFK-GIG or ORD-GIG nonstops? Will they take delivery of the additional 6 767-300ER that they have on order, with first delivery set for Jan01? The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777

dutchjet

Sun Oct 29, 2000 7:21 am

I do not think that there are an open-skies treaties between the US and the south american countires mentioned, thus, routes and frequencies cannot be added at will. Thus, route development takes time and negotiation. CO and DL just got into a bit of an arguement when CO was not fast enought in using its new authority of 7 flights per week between IAH and Brazil - they scheduled only 4 flights per week to start. DL quickly noticed this, petitioned, and then got the 3 unused frequencies and are using them for their new 3 times per week ATL-Rio service. Look for Miami to remain the major gateway to South America, with some development of DFW and IAH. Geographically, the west coast cities do not make that much sense for South American "hub" operations.

Trvlr

Sun Oct 29, 2000 9:40 am

I think as well that the next logical step for Varig is SFO, but I also think if a South American airline ever begins service to SAN it will be Varig. This is because Varig is the only(?) Latin American carrier that has routes to Asia, and since a/c need to stop to refuel in order to get from Brasil to Tokyo, HK, etc., SAN would be a good stopover point in case LAX or SFO is overcrowded.

Aaron G.

LH423

Sun Oct 29, 2000 10:59 pm

I heard from a guy who works for United in Boston, and he said the airline was planning some increases in international services. He mentioned Tokyo, Frankfurt, and either Ireland or Brazil. So hopefully a BOS-GIG/GRU service could be intiated...oh and those routes will be served with a 777.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

ishky15

RE: LH423

Mon Oct 30, 2000 12:14 am

United is planning to operate flights to Tokyo and Frankfurt from Boston IF the merger goes through. I haven't heard of Brazil or Ireland, but I know that they will add a whole slew of flights to the West Coast IF the merger goes through once again.

My opinion on this merger is that if United actually wants to merge with US Air, its going to need to "give up" its prescence in many cities. For example, US's assets at LaGuardia could go to American, the Reagan fligths can go to Continental, United's Miami prescence can be given to someone like Northwest, US's Baltimore minihub can be transferred to Southwest, and so on.
If the total assets of United and US were all to be merged, they would have a signifigant prescence in:

London
New York
Boston
Chicago
Washington
Baltimore
Miami
Charlotte
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Denver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Honolulu
Tokyo
Sao Paulo
Hong Kong
and countless others.

johnboy

Mon Oct 30, 2000 3:56 pm

I say SFO is a wonderful destination for Varig! Why place all your flights to Asia thru nasty Los Angeles?

Louis

Mon Oct 30, 2000 4:28 pm

Varig goes to LAX because there's a huge Brazillian expat population in Los Angeles. Not so many in Frisco...