duncan16
Topic Author

787 Dimmable Window And The Sun

Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:56 pm

I've not yet been able to fly the 787 and am curious about something I've not seen discussed here. Pax can still see out the dimmable window even in its darkest setting - what does the sun look like through it, and how is the experience? I've seen photos and videos of the window in its darkest setting, but never with the sun coming through - has anyone else?

hotplane

RE: 787 Dimmable Window And The Sun

Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:22 pm

It's still too bright to look at despite appearing darker and greener! Windows also get very hot.
?

B6JFKH81

Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:30 pm

Found this using a quick google search:

"If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it"

davidho1985

Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:35 pm

Almost at the darkest setting:

The sun is coming from the left hand side (seat A)

And actually the cabin can become completely dark (look at the Business Class cabin at the very front of the plane)

kiffy
Crew

Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:36 pm

Take a look through this trip report:

United 787 Domestic First: Houston To Chicago (by IrishAyes Jun 19 2013 in Trip Reports)

HeeseokKoo

Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:33 pm

Quoting davidho1985 (Reply 3):
And actually the cabin can become completely dark (look at the Business Class cabin at the very front of the plane)

I heard some airlines offers additional stuff to completely cover windows on business class. JAL international flight is one of them, but I cannot tell which airline is in your picture. Anyway, that would explain the dark business class in the picture.

kiffy
Crew

Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:15 pm

Quoting HeeseokKoo (Reply 5):
I cannot tell which airline is in your picture.

China Southern Airlines

MSPNWA

Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:17 pm

It's pretty neat to sit on the sun side. I was able to dim the sun enough so that it wasn't blinding, but I was still able to see things outside. Very cool. It made window shades seem prehistoric.

L0VE2FLY

Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:25 pm

Electronic dimming is the only feature I don't like about the 787, I hope it'll be optional on the A350 and won't become popular on future airliners. I always book a window seat and want to have full control over my window and this technology makes it possible for the cabin crew to override the pax.

At the darkest setting the glare is cut sufficiently, I think nervous flyers who want to see absolutely nothing out the huge 787's windows are the folks complaining the most.

n797mx

Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:02 am

When I was on the 787 back in November I thought the shades were a nice novelty, but completely useless. They let in way too much light, made everything green, and those who don't want to look out the window will be terrified. Not to mention the thing got so bloody hot that you couldn't stand being next to it for more than a few minutes when dimmed.

You can compare the Completely dimmed right side to the all clear left side in this photo I took of it.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jordan E. Skok

Clear skies and strong tail winds.

macsog6

Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:25 am

Quoting HeeseokKoo (Reply 5):
JAL international flight is one of them,

I've flown on JL's 787 between SIN and either NRT or HND several times and never been offered anything to cover the window. I find the new method to be much more pleasant than the old window shade which was "off-on" process. Dimmable makes so much more sense and is quite enjoyable to me. But to each his own, some folks would still be flying with piston engines if they could.
Sixty Plus Years of Flying! "I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Saint Ex

Max Q

Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:35 am

Seems like a silly gimmick.

Technology for technologies sake which doesnt work as well as a simple pull down shade.

I would find sitting next to a very hot window that I couldn't completely block the light out with very annoying.
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Horstroad

Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:47 am

do these windows only block (dim) visible light or also UV light so that there is no danger when directly looking at the sun?

dfambro

Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:03 am

I love the dimmable feature. I don't want to be "that guy" with the open shade, sun pouring in, when others are trying to sleep on the long haul USA-to-Asia flight. It's rude and awkward. These windows solve that problem.

Mir

Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:12 am

Quoting n797mx (Reply 9):
Not to mention the thing got so bloody hot that you couldn't stand being next to it for more than a few minutes when dimmed.

That's a real problem if the flight is eight or ten hours long.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

bristolflyer

Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:20 am

Quoting dfambro (Reply 13):
I don't want to be "that guy" with the open shade, sun pouring in, when others are trying to sleep on the long haul USA-to-Asia flight. It's rude and awkward. These windows solve that problem.

What is that problem exactly?

[Edited 2013-08-08 19:21:07]
Fortune favours the brave

bill142

Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:42 am

Quoting bristolflyer (Reply 15):
What is that problem exactly?

Seeing outside while not letting in much light.

Max Q

Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:09 am

I love the dimmable feature. I don't want to be "that guy" with the open shade, sun pouring in, when others are trying to sleep on the long haul USA-to-Asia flight. It's rude and awkward. These windows solve that problem.

You know, they do put those windows in for a reason. Some of us still like to look outside. Besides a simple shade is far more effective and much more reliable.

tjcab

Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:02 am

Quoting horstroad (Reply 12):
do these windows only block (dim) visible light or also UV light so that there is no danger when directly looking at the sun?

I would imagine that all car/aircraft windows have UV protection. My eyeglasses never darken when traveling by air or driving. Just a guess...

LZ129

Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:10 am

Quoting L0VE2FLY (Reply 8):
I think nervous flyers who want to see absolutely nothing out the huge 787's windows are the folks complaining the most.

That's something I never understood. Why on earth would anybody book a window seat if they are afraid to look outside the window? Same goes for people who book a window seat and then never look outside but spend the whole flight playing with their ipad. It doesn't begin to make sense. If you don't like the window, the window seat is the worst seat possible on a plane.
I myself always try to get a window seat and when I have one, I use it. I gaze out of the window and enjoy the fact that I'm living a millenia old dream of humanity. That is if not all the window seats were already booked by a guy who's more interested in last week's football results...   

Quoting Max Q (Reply 17):
Some of us still like to look outside.

autothrust

Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:12 am

Quoting L0VE2FLY (Reply 8):
Electronic dimming is the only feature I don't like about the 787, I hope it'll be optional on the A350

It will be optional on the A350XWB. Even then they would use the newer faster second geneartion dimming electrochromic shades.
“Faliure is not an option.”

AirbusA6

Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:50 am

Quoting LZ129 (Reply 19):
That's something I never understood. Why on earth would anybody book a window seat if they are afraid to look outside the window? Same goes for people who book a window seat and then never look outside but spend the whole flight playing with their ipad. It doesn't begin to make sense. If you don't like the window, the window seat is the worst seat possible on a plane.

Many people like the window seat as it's more private for sleeping, you can lean on the wall and not be disturbed by people getting up to go to the bathroom.
it's the bus to stansted (now renamed National Express a6 to ruin my username)

CXfirst

Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:56 am

You know, they do put those windows in for a reason. Some of us still like to look outside. Besides a simple shade is far more effective and much more reliable.

Asian carriers are especially prone to have passengers close their shades to allow others to sleep. There are times, where I want to look out, but the cabin is near black, and even opening it a crack makes a huge difference in the cabin. So, out of respect, I choose not to open the window. Likewise, there are times where I try to sleep and another passenger decides to open his window and makes it difficult for many others, I consider this inconsiderate.

So in my case, I welcome the electronically dimmed windows, even if cabin crew take control and dim it themselves. It allows me and others to see out without disturbing others. It's not perfectly dark, and it's not perfect visibility, but a generally good compromise for both sides (IMO).

-CXfirst

shengzhurou

Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:16 am

pictures taken, with the window dimming setting medium dark, onboard a trans pacific flight with united

http://www.airliners.net/uf/view.fil...?id=122339&filename=phpbCktse.jpeg

[Edited 2013-08-09 04:20:58]

personally , it is not dark enough for me

[Edited 2013-08-09 04:22:30]
Sheng Zhu Rou

bikerthai

Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:23 pm

Quoting TJCAB (Reply 18):

I would imagine that all car/aircraft windows have UV protection.

Yes, most if not all plastic components on an aircraft are coated or painted to protect it from UV light.
These windows have clear plastic layer that would have UV protection (or inherently block UV) both for the part and the passengers.

bt
Intelligent seeks knowledge. Enlightened seeks wisdom.

gulfstream650

Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:38 pm

After reading this topic, I will probably avoid the 787 for trans-Atlantic East bound flights, especially during the summer. A darker cabin helps you get an extra hour or so of sleep before landing.

As far as I'm concerned this window is a gimmick and a FAIL at that!
I don't proclaim to be the best pilot in the world but I'm safe

AngMoh

Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:37 pm

Quoting TJCAB (Reply 18):
I would imagine that all car/aircraft windows have UV protection. My eyeglasses never darken when traveling by air or driving. Just a guess...
Quoting bikerthai (Reply 24):
These windows have clear plastic layer that would have UV protection (or inherently block UV) both for the part and the passengers.

Even ordinary glass blocks UV for a large extend. UV is around 400nm to around 100nm wavelength and most types of class do hardly transmit anything below 350nm. You need special glass if you want UV to go through.

ATA L1011

Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:43 pm

How much weight savings is gained by this feature vs shades?
Treat others as you expect to be treated!

msp747

Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:52 pm

Quoting Max Q (Reply 11):
Technology for technologies sake which doesnt work as well as a simple pull down shade.

But if you leave a window shade open when others may be trying to sleep, isn't that more of a distraction than a dimming shade that may not get 100% dark? Obviously for some business class travelers, a normal shade might be ideal, but for the airline dork who actually enjoys looking out the window, it's annoying to get nasty looks or comments from fellow passengers for doing something as simple as leaving your shade up

Quoting autothrust (Reply 20):
It will be optional on the A350XWB. Even then they would use the newer faster second geneartion dimming electrochromic shades

So wait? Boeing is passing on a "faster generation" dimming window and sticking with the original design? I find it hard to believe that they would let Airbus improve on a feature they came up with in the first place.

evomutant

Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:04 pm

Quoting msp747 (Reply 28):
So wait? Boeing is passing on a "faster generation" dimming window and sticking with the original design? I find it hard to believe that they would let Airbus improve on a feature they came up with in the first place.

It's not like it is new technology. Electrochromic glass has been around for a long time. It's just new to airliners.

garpd

Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:13 pm

Quoting MSPNWA (Reply 7):
It's pretty neat to sit on the sun side. I was able to dim the sun enough so that it wasn't blinding, but I was still able to see things outside. Very cool. It made window shades seem prehistoric.

This is precisely the observation some friends of mine have made on their ANA and JAL flights on the 787. Lucky swines have flown the 787 23 times so far! They love the windows on the 787.
I guess being a true blood aviation nut will help!

My personal opinion on this: If you want to sleep, put the window to it's darkest setting and put on a face mask. Even if there were shades, there is plenty light from all the reading lights that still interfere with sleep.

I on the other hand can't sleep on any mode of transport were I cannot lie flat. So, with still being able to see out even at the darkest setting, I'm happy  
arpdesign.wordpress.com

msp747

Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:19 pm

Quoting evomutant (Reply 29):
It's not like it is new technology. Electrochromic glass has been around for a long time. It's just new to airliners

My point is that Boeing is going to improve their offering, they are not going to sit back and let Airbus "one-up" them, especially on a technology that Airbus would have never used if it wasn't because of the 787

kasimir

Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:31 pm

I didn't fly on the 787 yet, but I kind of like the dimming feature, but it should compliment the shades not replace them IMO

Why? Sometimes the sun is sooo bright, that it would be nice to kind of dim the window and still have the option to look outside. And in case you want to sleep you use the shade to blacken the window completely.

Also the dimming would eliminate the problem when you want to look outside while most in the cabin want to sleep.

seabosdca

Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:35 pm

Besides a simple shade is far more effective and much more reliable.

The shade is not more reliable. Far easier for a passenger to break it than to break the electrochromic glass.

by738

Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:52 pm

But far easier and cheaper to fix at an outstation...

KLMD11L

Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:12 pm

It's not always "that guy" to blame, some airlines try to keep pax asleep for as long as possible to minimize their demands and cut costs.
KLM MD-11...The Ultimate Flying Machine!

Max Q

Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:43 am

But if you leave a window shade open when others may be trying to sleep, isn't that more of a distraction than a dimming shade that may not get 100% dark? Obviously for some business class travelers, a normal shade might be ideal, but for the airline dork who actually enjoys looking out the window, it's annoying to get nasty looks or comments from fellow passengers for doing something as simple as leaving your shade up

Ok, i'm a dork. Like I said those windows were put in for a reason. I you want to look out no one should stop you. Imho if you are sitting next to one you own it, how much sleep do you expect to get as a passenger anyway ?

Quoting kasimir (Reply 32):

I didn't fly on the 787 yet, but I kind of like the dimming feature, but it should compliment the shades not replace them IMO

Why? Sometimes the sun is sooo bright, that it would be nice to kind of dim the window and still have the option to look outside. And in case you want to sleep you use the shade to blacken the window completely.

Exactly.

L0VE2FLY

Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:34 pm

Quoting LZ129 (Reply 19):
That's something I never understood. Why on earth would anybody book a window seat if they are afraid to look outside the window?

Some folks don't reserve their seats at the time of booking and can't always get their preferred seats when they check in, also some airlines charge a fee for reserving your seat and not everyone is willing to pay. Also...

Quoting AirbusA6 (Reply 21):
Many people like the window seat as it's more private for sleeping, you can lean on the wall and not be disturbed by people getting up to go to the bathroom.

It will be optional on the A350XWB. Even then they would use the newer faster second geneartion dimming electrochromic shades.

YES!!! Well done Airbus, hope more and more airlines will go for the traditional shades. Now if only Boeing does the same.

Quoting ATA L1011 (Reply 27):
How much weight savings is gained by this feature vs shades?

Not sure about the weight savings, but in the long run I doubt there will be any significant cost savings, as the planes age these dimmers will malfunction just like the IFE screens and fixing them will be much more costly and time consuming than the simple and super reliable shades.

Quoting Max Q (Reply 36):
Ok, i'm a dork. Like I said those windows were put in for a reason. I you want to look out no one should stop you. Imho if you are sitting next to one you own it, how much sleep do you expect to get as a passenger anyway ?

Well said Max Q.

Viscount724

Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:45 pm

Does anybody know how the cost of the 787 windows and related electronics etc. compares with standard windows and windowshades? And do they require more maintenance?

EmiratesEK231

Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:57 pm

Honestly, I don't think he had any merit or factual evidence behind his statement. He was just assuming that Airbus would have better technology because (1) he may be partial to Airbus to begin with and (2) the Airbus is a bit 'newer.' I, too, highly doubt Boeing would allow this, as insignificant as it may be.

Quoting Max Q (Reply 36):

I just flew long haul with Emirates, last month, on four different flights. Three were mostly during daylight hours, or had a lot of daylight hours. At many points, the entire economy class zones I was seated in, had every single (or nearly every) window shade closed, not because EK mandated it, but out of respect for others. And the shades remained closed for most of the daylight hours. There was LOTS of sleeping on my flights. Two of my flights were between 13-14 hours long. You can see what I'm referring to in this picture I took in Zone E of my EK 77W (below). Most of the shades are closed, and most of the passengers are knocked out. Not sure how often you fly or what strange dynamics happen on your flights, but most people I know sleep through most of their flights, and that's precisely what I experienced on my flights.

Having window shades open during the day when most are trying to sleep, is extremely disrespectful. I was fortunate to have window seats on all of my flights. I remember on my last flight home, the entire cabin was dark and all shades were down. This was right after sunrise. I opened my shade real quick to catch a glance outside, and it was like someone took a floodlight and lit up the cabin. My one window opened completely made a difference. I took a quick glance and closed the shade. And every time another window passenger opened their shade — no matter where they were seated in the cabin — it was instantaneously recognizable. The cabin was immediately filled with light. And most of those passengers closed their shades, too, out of common respect.

So, yes, you did pay for a window seat, but it's also not fair to inconvenience others for the sake of you wanting to constantly peer out into an endless horizon of clouds. I think there are certain times in a flight where you can be selfish, and have your shades open. People should generally be up at those times, and those who aren't are just out of luck. But if you see the majority of people trying to rest, it is not fair for you to selfishly keep your window open and make it unpleasant for others.

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/3249/1vq4.jpg

[Edited 2013-08-13 14:01:27]
I AM A NORTHWEST AIRLINES & EMIRATES LOVER! MY FAVORITE FLIGHTS HAVE BEEN ON THE 777, 727, DC-9, A320, AND 737.

seabosdca

Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:14 pm

Quoting L0VE2FLY (Reply 37):
but in the long run I doubt there will be any significant cost savings, as the planes age these dimmers will malfunction just like the IFE screens and fixing them will be much more costly and time consuming than the simple and super reliable shades.

An IFE screen is a very complicated piece of equipment. A piece of electrochromic glass with a dimming switch is exceedingly simple. This will be one of the most reliable systems on the aircraft. The only real point of failure is passengers abusing and breaking the switch, which will happen, but then again passengers also abuse and break the shades all the time. And replacing the switch will be easier than replacing the shade.

Just because you aren't familiar with the technology behind something doesn't mean it's complex.

[Edited 2013-08-13 14:14:55]

L0VE2FLY

Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:51 pm

Quoting EmiratesEK231 (Reply 39):
Having window shades open during the day when most are trying to sleep, is extremely disrespectful.

If you want to sleep and a few windows out of dozens are open you put on an eye mask, problem solved! If I want to look out the window I don't have an option but to open my shade.

I remember on my last flight home, the entire cabin was dark and all shades were down. This was right after sunrise. I opened my shade real quick to catch a glance outside, and it was like someone took a floodlight and lit up the cabin. My one window opened completely made a difference. I took a quick glance and closed the shade. And every time another window passenger opened their shade — no matter where they were seated in the cabin — it was instantaneously recognizable. The cabin was immediately filled with light. And most of those passengers closed their shades, too, out of common respect.

The glare right after sunrise is too blinding for anyone to enjoy looking out, I don't open my shade at this time of the flight.

So, yes, you did pay for a window seat, but it's also not fair to inconvenience others for the sake of you wanting to constantly peer out into an endless horizon of clouds.

I get bored quickly when looking at cloudy skies or endless ocean, but when flying overland and the skies are clear it's a different story!

dtw2hyd

Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:59 pm

Hopefully Boeing will go back to plastic shades. I don't think electronic tinting adds any value other than additional electric components, hence fire risk.

tcfc424

Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:27 am

I always hate when I don't get a window seat and am seated next to someone who immediately closes the shade and leaves it there for the duration of the flight. I understand the reasoning if they are sleeping, but I typically don't fly on long flights (under 3 hours) and most (of the people seated next to me who close the shade) don't sleep. It's frustrating.

At times, when I have a window seat, I will close the shade...particularly when it is so bright you cant look out.

I guess my point is, I think the dimmable shades are great. And I completely agree...if you want to sleep on a flight and are sensitive to light...use an eyemask...to go with your microfiber neck pillow. Meanwhile...I will enjoy the aerial tour of the Grand Canyon.

dtw2hyd

Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:16 pm

If Boeing wants to beat them, they should have electronic tinting with plastic shades. Granted for those who are sensitive to light eye mask is a better alternative along with noise canceling headsets(or) ear plugs. Even with eTint you may find that one person who don't want to darken their window.

Do plastic shades help reduce cabin temp when B787 is sun bathing at an airport stand? Am I wrong in assuming eTint of no use in this scenario.

seabosdca

Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:49 pm

Quoting DTW2HYD (Reply 44):
Am I wrong in assuming eTint of no use in this scenario.

Yes. It still blocks a lot of cabin heating, at least as much so as shades (which leave a gap of cabin air that gets super-hot between the shade and the window).

Loran

Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:01 pm

Having flown ANA's NH204 (FRA-HND) service twice in June and July where there is light almost along the entire route over norhtern Siberia, I observed that the crew sets the windows to the darkest setting about 2hrs into the flight, however the system allowed me to override this setting to a certain degree. I could light it up to a medium setting but I could not set it to the lightest.

I find this a fair feature, the cabin was still dark enough that most of the pax were asleep, and I was able to look outside when I wanted to.

Regards,
Loran
703 717 727 732-9 747 757 767 777 788 AB2/6 310 318-321 330 340 380 D8M D91/3/5 D1C M11 M81-90 L10 AN2/3/F/4/6/28/74/40/48/58 IL1/8/6/7/W/9/4 TU3/5/2 YK4/2

Max Q

Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:10 pm

If windows bother you so much you could take a train, or, failing that, bring some eyeshades.

I think it's disrespectful to attempt to deny someone looking out of the window.

Like I said they are there for a reason !

BA677

Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:11 pm

Quoting Max Q (Reply 47):
If windows bother you so much you could take a train, or, failing that, bring some eyeshades.

I think it's disrespectful to attempt to deny someone looking out of the window.

Like I said they are there for a reason !

Totally agree you are a paying passenger and you have a right to look out of the window. If you want to sleep bring an eye shade. Just an idea, why don't they have a dark zone on the plane over the wing for example where you cant see that much any way. So if you plan to sleep then put the effort in to get a seat in that zone, just like I put the effort in to getting a window seat every time. And if you don't manage to get the dark zone then bad look, just as for me when I don't get my window seat.

AA777

Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:18 pm

Quoting BA677 (Reply 48):

I disagree. There's no need to open the window and see nothing but GLARING SUN, when people could eek out another hour or even two of sleep before landing on a red-eye or transatlantic flight like MIA-LHR, IAD-FRA for example. It's obnoxious to be the one person whose window is filling the entire cabin with light when its clear that the vast majority of people are trying to sleep. One window lets in an incredible amount of light.

Perhaps when the routes are all daylight, its one thing, and isnt a big deal. But its another thing to open your window when you're trying to get a little bit of sleep to be ready to go when your body has lost 6 hours of time....

People suggest eyeshades, but I for one cannot sleep with an eyeshade over my eyes.... and I imagine there are many many others who also do not like the feeling of elastic bands around their head and unnatural pressure over their eyes.... it's not the norm for most people to sleep like that.

AA777