stlgph
Topic Author

Rumor Time: Allegiant Big Announcement Aug 20

Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:36 pm

A little bird told me Allegiant is set to announce Long Island/MacArthur on August 20.

Another New York City area airport and possibly something in the Boston area (remotely) is also on the list.

Let the speculation begin.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

MesaFlyGuy

RE: Rumor Time: Allegiant Big Announcement Aug 20

Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:45 pm

YESSSSSSSSS!!!!!

:D   

I think I said all that can be said on the matter.  
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

PVD757

Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:57 pm

I like playing the guessing game.

NYC = SWF
BOS = MHT, PSM, or ORH

stlgph
Topic Author

Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:02 pm

MacArthur's pretty much a definite. There's a press event being held that morning.

Look for up to 10 new cities that day. Yes, really.

MesaFlyGuy

Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:06 pm

For ISP, I assume 2-3x weekly service to SFB, maybe 2x weekly to PGD. I'm not gonna get my hopes up for MYR.  
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

RL757PVD

Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:22 pm

Quoting stlgph (Thread starter):
Boston area (remotely)

Perhaps CEF?
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

B6JFKH81

Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:26 pm

Quoting mesaflyguy (Reply 4):
For ISP, I assume 2-3x weekly service to SFB, maybe 2x weekly to PGD. I'm not gonna get my hopes up for MYR.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.....it would be interesting to see some Mad Dogs at ISP   
"If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it"

adamh8297

Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:27 pm

Quoting pvd757 (Reply 2):
BOS = MHT, PSM, or ORH

MHT makes sense due to recent history (Allegiant was already at the other two airports and didn't last too long) but I am very surprised by it!

MHT should be focusing on getting some token B6 service or some improved service (a daily MIA perhaps?) from the US/AA merger.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AM, BA, B6, CO, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WN

FWAERJ

Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:37 pm

Quoting pvd757 (Reply 2):
BOS = MHT, PSM, or ORH
G4 tried ORH, and it didn't work - poor loads and package sales. Above-market fuel prices didn't help, either. (Not to mention that B6 now is doing ORH-Florida.) MHT is well-served to Florida by WN, and G4 typically picks cities that WN doesn't serve.

I could see G4 making another run at PSM to SFB for sure and/or PIE/PGD. And I also agree on ISP and reentering SWF, again with at least SFB.

That's three cities out of ten... maybe we'll also see the return or launch of LAS service at cities like TYS, FWA, GSP, ABE, and TOL now that the Airbuses will make long LAS routes viable at high fuel prices? Eastbound LAS expansion has been heavily rumored on here as of late.

[Edited 2013-08-14 09:39:21]
"Did he really need the triple bypass? Or was it the miles?"

FWAERJ

Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:45 pm

Quoting RL757PVD (Reply 5):
Perhaps CEF?

CEF did see service on short-lived SX (Skybus) and has a terminal that was redone for SX, so it can handle pax and the A32x fine. And the main runway is over 11,000 feet, so G4 could use the MD-80 from CEF without problems as well.

Again, it would probably start with SFB service only like most new G4 stations east of the Mississippi. There are exceptions, as SPI started with PGD, but that city pair had a proven track record with Direct Air.

enilria

Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:17 pm

Quoting stlgph (Thread starter):

A little bird told me Allegiant is set to announce Long Island/MacArthur on August 20.

The question is whether this is as a hub or a spoke...

Quoting stlgph (Reply 3):
MacArthur's pretty much a definite. There's a press event being held that morning.
Quoting mesaflyguy (Reply 4):

I think Mesaflyguy is right. It's a spoke. I don't think ISP is convenient enough to be a gateway for inbound visitors from the usual cadre of G4 spokes. I think it will be sun destinations as well.

slcdeltarumd11

Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:34 pm

I feel like MYR would be the perfect city for either SWF or ISP and also the usual Florida. With airtran now gone i think SWF is more attractive to allegiant.

I really hope its a return to SWF! The port authority should be working hard to get them back.

I could see either airport working for allegiant. I got my fingers crossed its somewhere in the Northeast. A 757 service to LAS i could see happening to either airport. Allegiant seems to be doing well on Plattsburg, NY to LAS service. I think the northeast to Vegas has more potential, i could see with SWF or ISP attracting people on a Vegas fligt with packages less than daily service.

FlyPNS1

Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:42 pm

Quoting enilria (Reply 10):
I don't think ISP is convenient enough to be a gateway for inbound visitors from the usual cadre of G4 spokes. I think it will be sun destinations as well.

In theory you could do:

ISP-PGD, ISP-FLL, ISP-SFB, ISP-PIE, ISP-MYR all with MD80's. Granted, I'm not sure if ISP-MYR would work that well and even ISP-PGD would probably only work in high season.

Then use a spare 757 (if Hawaii isn't working so well) to do ISP-IWA, ISP-LAS....maybe even ISP-SAN or ISP-LAX if you want to be real bold.

azstar

Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:45 pm

FAR airport website says "In one week we'll be announcing another new FAR nonstop destination".
Do you think FAR-ISP is remotely possibly? I didn't think FAR-LAX would last, but it did.

www.fargoairport.com

[Edited 2013-08-14 10:46:20]

ERJ170

Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:46 pm

Quoting stlgph (Reply 3):

I don't see anyone really talking about this point. 10 cities!!!!! so that would be..

1. Islip (ISP)
2. NY Area
3. Boston Area

What could the other 7 be?
Aiming High and going far..

mtnwest1979

Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:13 pm

How about PHF-LAS n/s? I miss the WN ORF-LAS nonstops they used to offer.

As for new cities; how about 3 above, plus HSV, JAN, CRP, LSE, ERI, YKM, and CKB.
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

stlgph
Topic Author

Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:15 pm

Quoting ERJ170 (Reply 14):

You want another bone?

10 new cities.
18 routes.

as739x

Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:19 pm

CAK-LAS is my wishlist route
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

FWAERJ

Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:19 pm

Quoting azstar (Reply 13):
FAR airport website says "In one week we'll be announcing another new FAR nonstop destination".
Do you think FAR-ISP is remotely possibly? I didn't think FAR-LAX would last, but it did.

Looking at the cities that G4 serves from FAR, I'd pick PGD, PIE, or OAK long before ISP.

Come to think of it, FWA's Facebook page has been awfully quiet for over a week. Perhaps they are getting ready, too?

[Edited 2013-08-14 11:22:06]

Venus6971

Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:28 pm

OKC maintenance base and hub since AAR already does its MD-80's with new hanger for Airbus's 320's and 757's?
I would help you but it is not in the contract

kcrwflyer

Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:36 pm

Quoting MtnWest1979 (Reply 15):
As for new cities; how about 3 above, plus HSV, JAN, CRP, LSE, ERI, YKM, and CKB.

Those cities are too random for this list to be random.

B6JFKH81

Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:38 pm

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 12):
ISP-PGD, ISP-FLL, ISP-SFB, ISP-PIE,

A lot of these are pretty much covered by WN who already flies from ISP to MCO, PBI, FLL, RSW, TPA and from what I remember most of these are daily on WN. That's going to be interesting competition....

Quoting azstar (Reply 13):
Do you think FAR-ISP is remotely possibly?

As a resident of Long Island for my entire life (33 years), I would go with "NO" for that.   

Quoting ERJ170 (Reply 14):
I don't see anyone really talking about this point. 10 cities!!!!! so that would be..

1. Islip (ISP)
2. NY Area
3. Boston Area

Aren't #1 and #2 the same? ISP and SWF are about the same distance from NYC.

FWAERJ

Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:43 pm

Quoting as739x (Reply 17):
CAK-LAS is my wishlist route

IMHO, expect this on WN soon as they keep converting FL cities to pure WN service.

Quoting MtnWest1979 (Reply 15):

G4 served HSV for a while, and it didn't last. The funny thing about HSV is that people keep screaming for an LCC because of the highest-in-the-nation fares, and whenever they get one, they keep driving to BNA, BHM, or MEM.

JAN is dominated by WN, as is CRP. But the latter is one of WN's smallest stations with service to only one city, so CRP-LAS/AZA could work as long as WN doesn't retaliate with CRP-LAS/PHX. And knowing WN's shift from shorthaul, I have a distinct feeling that they would. The other four are good fits for G4.

I'll have to add in the possibility of HUF-SFB, as HUF has wanted pax service back for eons - first to CLE, then BKG. (They even bought a used fire truck from FWA to prepare themselves.) With WN jacking up fares post-FL merger on IND-MCO as of late, I wouldn't be surprised if a G4 HUF-SFB route is a success among people living in the booming west side of Indy and in Champaign/Urbana as well as Terre Haute. And knowing the terminal fees that IND charges to airlines and G4's demands for low airport costs, it will be a cold day in hell before G4 starts scheduled IND service (though I do see IND in NK's future, but not for a few more years).

Quoting venus6971 (Reply 19):

OKC maintenance base and hub since AAR already does its MD-80's with new hanger for Airbus's 320's and 757's?

OKC isn't a G4 destination by any stretch of the imagination, but I could see them trying LAS (again) and AZA with planes RONing for MX. I could also see G4 setting up a small pilot/FA base like the one they had at GRR for a while.

sacampb

Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:52 pm

Supposedly they will be adding route(s) to AZA. They just canceled the Hawaii route but I was talking to MX and they said the 757 would be back shortly but wouldn't tell me the destination. A rumor is that will the new A320's which will all be based out of Florida bases is that there will be a Florida-AZA route. They currently have a A319 which will be transferred to AZA once they recieve their A320's so that also opens up possible more Northeast routes but I'm not positive on how many people want to vacation in Arizona from the Northeast.

boberito6589

Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:53 pm

Ive heard that CHO should be announced very soon, so perhaps its one of the 10!

ridgid727

Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:07 pm

There is talk in CoeurdAlene ID, that they will be getting jet flights to LAS and PHX. I have seen nothing about it, but I would assume we can expect an announcement soon.

kcrwflyer

Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:07 pm

Quoting FWAERJ (Reply 22):
IMHO, expect this on WN soon as they keep converting FL cities to pure WN service.

They couldn't make MDW work and they'd have to consider how adding LAS would affect DEN.

Quoting boberito6589 (Reply 24):
Ive heard that CHO should be announced very soon, so perhaps its one of the 10!

Better send an Airbus to that runway. If they're interested in CHO, I wonder if SHD could be in the mix.

slcdeltarumd11

Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:46 pm

Quoting B6JFKH81 (Reply 21):
Aren't #1 and #2 the same? ISP and SWF are about the same distance from NYC.

Yeah but they serve just totally different markets. SWF can serve northern NJ (Bergen, Sussex) ,Eastern Conn, and southern NY state. ISP really makes the most sense to LI but theres alot of people out there.

[Edited 2013-08-14 13:39:49]

dsuairptman

Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:47 pm

I think PBG-BLI on a 757 would work to G4 advantage, connect YQL with YVR on the American side of the border and lower fares/taxes for pax.
GEAUX SAINTS!

joeljack

Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:50 pm

I know I am bias towards OMA but with lack of nonstop service to Florida and considering the market size, it seems like several Florida destinations from OMA could work. Right now, OMA sees MCO service on a DL CR7 on Saturday's only and some limited OMA-MCO service on Frontier in the winter months, 2 days a week at best for just a couple of months.

For comparison, the DSM airport is about half the size of OMA in passengers and it supports service to 3 Florida cities on Allegiant and DSM-SFB almost daily during high season times.

Just thinking outside the box but with the addition of LIT to SFB, it could be becoming plausible.

B6JFKH81

Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:56 pm

Quoting slcdeltarumd11 (Reply 27):
Yeah but they serve just totally different markets. SWF can serve northern NJ Bergen, Sussex and Eastern Conn, and southern NY state. ISP really makes the most sense to LI but theres alot of people out there.

Understood (and believe me, I know SWF needs some stimulation), but I am questioning the theory of the "NYC Area" thing. If they are planning on opening 1 "NYC Area" destination, and there is this much scuttlebutt about ISP, then ISP would be the "NY Area" airport, no? Even WN tried to sell ISP as their airport for NYC. Now if something said ISP *AND* a "NY Area" airport, that would be different.

STLGPH, can you clarify if the rumor was ISP *AND* a "NYC Area" addition, or did it sound like ISP was the "NYC Area" addition? I may be mis-reading this rumor here. Thanks!

~H81

spinkid

Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:26 pm

Allegiant tried SWF before to the florida markets and I think they failed for the same reason the Massachusetts markets failed. People in the Northeast usually have 2nd homes or tons of friends and family in Florida, so they don't buy packages. They are also used to booking thing separately. They are usually just looking for airfare.

I'd LOVE to see them come back. Perhaps with more service to the west coast. People would buy packages to Vegas for sure.

I can see them trying to make NYC the destination though and linking it with some of their midwest markets. It could be SWF or ISP for that reason. If they did connecting bus service the way Ryanair does to its remote airports in Europe I'm pretty certain they could make that work.

stlgph
Topic Author

Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:37 pm

Quoting B6JFKH81 (Reply 30):

Two airports within a driving distance to the New York City market.

One for Boston.

Media invites are being sent out today and tomorrow to airports who will be announcing service, so in the coming days, there'll be the usual "such and such airport says on facebook they'll be announcing a new service."

FWAERJ

Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:40 pm

Quoting spinkid (Reply 31):
If they did connecting bus service the way Ryanair does to its remote airports in Europe I'm pretty certain they could make that work.

G4 already offers hotel shuttles as an option for transfers in addition to the normal Alamo car rentals if you're headed to LAS, PIE, or SFB. So it's not a new concept for them.

Quoting B6JFKH81 (Reply 30):
STLGPH, can you clarify if the rumor was ISP *AND* a "NYC Area" addition, or did it sound like ISP was the "NYC Area" addition? I may be mis-reading this rumor here. Thanks!

From what I could read, it looked like 2 NYC area airports: ISP for sure and another, unknown NYC area airport (probably SWF).

slcdeltarumd11

Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:50 pm

I really do think there is an opportunity for more North-East to LAS service. Either ISP or SWF would get people to buy packages and wouldn't need to be daily. The packages are where allegiant makes their real money and i bet people would on that route.

MesaFlyGuy

Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:58 pm

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 12):

I like the way you think! Unfortunately I don't think we'll be seeing 757s into ISP anytime soo. (if at all)   I could possibly see Vegas getting brought in down the line with a319s

RWA380

Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:08 pm

Quoting ridgid727 (Reply 25):
There is talk in CoeurdAlene ID, that they will be getting jet flights to LAS and PHX. I have seen nothing about it, but I would assume we can expect an announcement soon.

Really, when G4 serves GEG (granted only from HNL) but also FCA and MSO, I guess we'll see if true, just seems odd.   
Next Flights: PDX-HNL-OGG-LIH-PDX On AS, WP & HA

THEFLLFLYER

Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:08 pm

Jeez...first a huge expansion out of PGD and now this...where is the a/c coming from??

ZWTwinOtter

Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:20 pm

Don't forget PWM. Strong and underserved to Florida.... counts as Boston area.

FWAERJ

Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:27 pm

Quoting THEFLLFLYER (Reply 37):
Jeez...first a huge expansion out of PGD and now this...where is the a/c coming from??
G4 plans to add several more A319s (ex-U2 with dual overwing exits; 156 pax) and A320s (ex-IB; 177 pax) by the end of the year, all with CFM56 engines. Most of the Airbuses that G4 is buying will be in service by year-end, with additional planes arriving in early 2014. 4 MD-80s will be retired, but there will be more Airbus deliveries than Mad Dog retirements for now at G4. But G4 management has hinted that MD-80 retirements will accelerate once the A32xNEO enters service and A32xCEO prices plummet.

IIRC, the A320s will be based exclusively at Florida bases (especially SFB where the extra 17 seats over the MD-80 are needed most), while the A319s will do longer LAS/AZA routes that are too thin for a 757.

[Edited 2013-08-14 14:51:55]

illinoisman

Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:33 pm

I'd be all for a resumption of service at GYY or new service at TTN. Should help keep fares in those areas quite low.

FWAERJ

Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:42 pm

Quoting IllinoisMan (Reply 40):

I'd be all for a resumption of service at GYY or new service at TTN. Should help keep fares in those areas quite low.
G4 left GYY only last month. However, they have said that they may return when the runway expansion is done with routes other than SFB (the runway expansion will make routes like LAS and AZA feasible).

G4 actually wanted to start GYY with LAS in the first place, but had to choose SFB because the MD-80 would overshoot the runway and nearby railroad tracks in its current form.

[Edited 2013-08-14 14:48:11]

SXDFC

Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:10 pm

Allegiant has been coming in and out of ISP for awhile now, although its been sometime since I last saw them... US Airways express works their flights here. It would be neat if they came in with the Airbuses that they just bought..
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

FWAERJ

Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:14 pm

Quoting SXDFC (Reply 42):

Allegiant has been coming in and out of ISP for awhile now, although its been sometime since I last saw them... US Airways express works their flights here.

G4 does charters (casino and otherwise) at many airports that don't receive G4 scheduled service, big and small.

airguardtn

Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:21 pm

I think that MEM maybe added. The MEM Airport Authority had a called meeting last week to amend their incentive program to allow for flights to a new destination from a minimum of 6 times a week to 4 times weekly.

AVLAirlineFreq

Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:25 pm

JAN is dominated by WN, as is CRP.
WN has lost market share at JAN and is now the #2 carrier there, and is only flying to MCO once daily. I could see G4 making that work to SFB. And G4 has shown in a couple of cases a tendency not to run from WN recently.

[Edited 2013-08-14 15:26:16]

freakyrat

Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:01 pm

Looks like maybe SBN could possibly get their NYC service?

B6JFKH81

Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:13 pm

Quoting stlgph (Reply 32):
Two airports within a driving distance to the New York City market.

Copy that, thanks for the clarification! Hmmmmm....so maybe a comeback to SWF after all. Interesting.

AVLAirlineFreq

Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:50 am

Given that so much of G4's revenue model depends upon travel packages of rooms, tickets, and ancillary services, I think it's highly doubtful they will establish an inbound hub at ISP.

[Edited 2013-08-14 17:50:30]

ABQopsHP

Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:08 am

so CRP-LAS/AZA could work as long as WN doesn't retaliate with CRP-LAS/PHX.

G4 was doing charters to IFP from CRP up until recently when the company booking the flights, switched to F9 (Republic E190s). For some reason CRP cannot generate the traffic to support any flights to destinations other than the 2 Texas HUB cities. DFW/IAH/HOU. WN has not had n/s to DAL or AUS in 30 years. They tried last winter to run a CRP-HOU-LAS flight thinking (LAS being their No. 1 cnx city from CRP) that it would be a big hit. It lasted a very short time. Other carriers tried to run flights to cities other than the DFW metro or HOU metro area. EA years ago had service to SAT and MSY. DL/ASA had n/s to ATL in the 90s up till 2008. And the old UA had service CRP-AUS-DEN. That didnt last either. So I have doubts that G4 will come in here with sched service n/s to AZA/LAS or some other location. I would love to be proven wrong.

JD CRP
ABQ ops, Cactus 202 requesting you order 5 Green Chile Chicken stew for us to p/u on arrival. ;)