englandair

Concorde To Fly Again!

Sun Oct 29, 2000 1:47 am

I've been told the following by my Dad who received it from a high ranking lady at British Airways:

-BA are trying to buy AF's Concorde fleet.
-BA's Concordes have always had reinforced engines and 'mudguard' style things over the wheels, so if a tyre does burst it causes minimal damage(AF's haven't)
-Concorde is expected to recomence passenger flights January 2001.      

What do you know about this?

RE: Concorde To Fly Again!

Sun Oct 29, 2000 1:53 am

No way, air france must keep concorde !!!!!!!!

hkgspotter1

Sun Oct 29, 2000 3:12 am

Why must AF keep the Concorde ???, did BA not want to buy the Concorde that AF had stored ???. AF refused and then scrapped it !!!

I dont think AF will sell the Concorde for face reasons, its that simple. I could see them cutting them up before they sell them to BA.

D L X

Sun Oct 29, 2000 3:58 am

I'd like to know what BA plans on doing with 12 Concordes.

englandair

Sun Oct 29, 2000 4:06 am

Good point!

APP

Sun Oct 29, 2000 4:59 am

Maybe they'll press a couple into service, use others for spares/spare parts to prolong the supersonic service. It'll be an expensive way to keep an SST flying but there's no successor on the horizon. If BA are really thinking about buying the AF Concordes I would imagine they've done their homework and figure its a viable proposition.
Anyhow, one way or another, lets hope they're airborne sooner rather than later, I haven't been on one....YET!!
APP

Sun Oct 29, 2000 5:03 am

If BA think their is still a market for Concorde, and BA wants to buy the AF's Concorde, so AF will also think their is a market for Concorde, and they will keep them.

D L X

Sun Oct 29, 2000 5:24 am

Not quite. Note that Boeing still does not believe there is a large market for superjumbos even though Airbus does.

Sun Oct 29, 2000 5:34 am

D L X, you are right, but air france and BA are not far, and if ba oppens london-JFK in concorde, the many air france good concorde costumers will just have to cross a little sea and fly concorde...also air france might be jalous to knows BA has concorde in service...(you can find this last thing really stupid !!!!!!!!)

SK A340

Sun Oct 29, 2000 5:36 am

GREAT!!!!!!

I believe though (even if some don't agree with me) that there still is a supersonic market. There will always be Business men that thinks that they are so important that they need the Concorde because the three hours they save on the flight from London to NY can save almost the whole world.

TWA717_200

Sun Oct 29, 2000 12:09 pm

If Boeing didnt' build it, we don't need it.

D L X

Sun Oct 29, 2000 2:37 pm

L'espace, Paris and London are not the same market, especially to the US. Having the same language as the US means that the UK will have more business to the US than France will. However, I have serious doubts that BA could actually find use for 12 Concordes, especially now that the public is afraid to fly them, and 747s and smaller jets have proven to be just as or more accomodating. (They certainly are much more comfortable.)

Sun Oct 29, 2000 2:44 pm

Considering it was Air France's jealousy that got the BA Concordes grounded, I really don't see them selling them to BA. VS, perhaps!

Actually, what BA has really said is that if the grounding isn't lifted by January, it will no longer be economically viable to put them back in the air.

I hope they do return to the skies soon - I've flown on them more than 30 times, and there have been several occasions recently where the ability to get from the UK to New York and back again in a day would have been extremely useful for me.

Sun Oct 29, 2000 3:03 pm

Ive read that france have suspended concordes investigation!..i dont know why but seems that france dosent want these fantastic aircrafts to fly again! where as british invetigation berue is trying through government to force france to reassemble the left wing and fuse backof crashed concorde to find out what happened with that airplane..and also to retain airworthness certificte back so rest of the concordes can fullfill their remaining time flying....well if its true that BA is trying to buy air france's concordes what could be wonderful then that...least they would be out flying not geathering dust in some cramped up hanger!......

gordonroxburgh

Tue Oct 31, 2000 2:18 am

BA do not need 12 concordes and would not operate all 12. The reason they would want them would be that the AF fleet has only 60% of the flight hrs of the BA aircraft. So BA, with no SST replacement around the corner, could fly Concorde for another 20 years. AF have alrady stated that they would withdraw Concorde fron service in 2007 anyway.

BA have 5 aircraft (G-BOAA thro G-BOAE) that are getting older, 24,000 hrs, and 2 (AF & AG) that are the same in flight hrs as the AF fleet 12-15,000 hrs, so giving them a fleet of seven aicraft that are servicable up till about 2020. along with a chance to use some of their older aircraft as a source of spares.

This would also stop Richard Branson getting his hands on them!!!!

In relation to the return to flight BA are looking at March or April after the relevant modifications are made.

For more info have a look at
http://www.concordesst.com/accident/latest.html

Gordon

mt99

Tue Oct 31, 2000 3:01 am

If AF concordes are for sale, im sure Virgin would like one!
Step into my office, baby

RIX

Tue Oct 31, 2000 3:38 am

...and I'm sure it will be a disaster for VS or any other possible new Concorde operator to start SST service. That means getting the whole new maintenance equipment, training personal, ... - for maximum 5 aircraft that are far from being cheap to operate! And what is the possible market? Competition to BA on their regular flights? Replacement of AF charters? Looks to be the fastest way to a bankruptcy.

Hope this or that way Concorde flies again and is in the skies until "baby Concorde" appears (obviously, no new "big SST" is going to be built in next 20 years... but we never know it for sure!). That one could be operated by some new airlines too, and someone posted here that BA expressed already interest in this kind of Concorde replacement...

MACH2

Tue Oct 31, 2000 5:58 am

Gordon, you are right on the money! I think your idea is excellent. I hope BA officials agree! It would be great for BA to buy AF's Concordes. That way BA could retire their older Concordes or use them for parts. In general, Air France's Concordes have less flight hours than the youngest BA Concorde (G-BOAG) Hopefully, BA will acquire Air France's fleet. At this point in time, it looks like Air France is doing little to get their fleet of excellent aircraft back into the air again.

L1011

RE: Concorde Seats Now Being Sold!

Tue Oct 31, 2000 10:38 am

Here is the text of an ad in the Richmond Times-Dispatch, October 30, 2000:

The Return of Supersonic Concorde

THE RICHMOND CONCORDE

April 10 - 20, 2001
Richmond to London
Fly The Concorde To London
Sail Home On Queen Elizabeth 2

Includes 4 Nights In London - Five Star Hotel And More

From Only $6,995 Per Person Including Concorde