OA260
Topic Author

Singapore Airlines Retiring Iconic 'Singapore Girl

Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:22 am

So it seems time for a change. The new advert looks promising but a swing from the years of iconic ad we have come to enjoy.

Singapore Airlines retiring iconic 'Singapore Girl'

SINGAPORE - Singapore Airlines is taking a measured step away from the iconic 'Singapore Girl' who has traditionally been at the heart of its advertising campaigns.

In a new series of advertisements set to air next week, tagged The Lengths We Go To, the airline shifts the emphasis from its highly recogniseable flight attendants towards the airlines' overall attitude of customer service, particularly around providing the experience and comfort of 'home'.

http://www.eturbonews.com/37475/sing...nes-retiring-iconic-singapore-girl

The making of the Ad video here :

http://youtu.be/Io-XCojpIgE

docpepz

RE: Singapore Airlines Retiring Iconic 'Singapore Girl

Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:26 am

Looking at the first ad here (and I find it too soft)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIz27KKEsIY

The Singapore Girl is everywhere

OA260
Topic Author

Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:45 am

You can certainly see where the shift in emphasis has come from looking back on this :

http://youtu.be/ewzY-vXJAsU

aviasian

Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:49 am

Misleading to say that the Singapore Girl is being retired ... she's still very much around. Perhaps only the spotlight on her has been toned down - a move in a direction that would appease those who branded past advertisments as sexist.

KC Sim

Kiwirob

Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:36 am

Quoting docpepz (Reply 1):
The Singapore Girl is everywhere

As she should be!

Rara

Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:44 am

Good decision, it's become decidedly creepy in recent times.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 2):

Such a weird advertisement. Technologically speaking it's brilliant, well-executed, and the shift between cities and regions is a great idea. But the content.... a flight attendant walks around smiling and randomly grabbing people. Just slightly weird.
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

infinit

Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:02 am

SQ will never retire the Singapore Girl, not in the foreseeable future at least.
The Singapore Girl is in every other Marketing textbook I've seen as an example of how consistency works really well
It is a compeitive advantage for them although I think they've realised they cannot only depend on their kebaya-clad frontline staff to woo passengers. They have a lot more competition from both ends of the spectrum

This looks good too but I like the style of the old 70s-80s ones better. You can find them on youtube

SIA747Megatop

Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:56 am

I too wouldn't call this "retiring" the Singapore Girl. SIA's selling point is it's service, it always has been and will be for the near future. Industry leading hard products to compliment the service on-board has been SIA's strategy for years and has served them well. The airline's image and identity is based around their service. Many airlines have nice hard products but few (IME none) have the service quality that SIA has. This is what makes the airline unique, it's their way from differenciating themselves from increasing competition from the Gulf carriers and LCCs.

Using the tagline "The Lengths We Go To" proves that service is still at the heart of the airline's culture. Singaporeans have always had an affinity with SIA as it makes them feel at home. There is something reassuring and comforting about boarding an SQ flight at an outstation from being addressed by name from a Kebaya clad girl to being handed a gently heated newspaper.

I recently flew SQ F from SFO to SIN after spending 6 weeks away. I felt at home with Tiger beer as my pre-takeoff drink and the Straits Times in hand. After re-boarding at ICN for the last segment the previous cabin crew had informed the crew on-board of my preferences and everything was waiting for me at my seat and I was handed my Tiger and Krug after takeoff without question.
"I do not yet know of a man who became a leader as a result of having undergone a leadership course." - Lee Kuan Yew

jumpjets

Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:21 pm

I'll be flying SQ for the first time at the end of October - so I hope to sample their famous customer service for real!

OA260
Topic Author

Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:28 pm

Quoting jumpjets (Reply 8):
I'll be flying SQ for the first time at the end of October - so I hope to sample their famous customer service for real!

I have only ever had a small taste of their product it was a one hour flight from Athens to Istanbul in J . Mind you on such a short hop they still impressed. Champagne and light meal. Greeting me by name and before landing the head FA came around to every passenger to have a short chat and thank us for flying SQ. It was all very personal and attention to detail was impressive. I will be flying them on a longer sector hopefully next year.

With regards to SQ Girl I actually think the image is as important as their livery. Others may disagree.

airbazar

Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:07 pm

Quoting Rara (Reply 5):
Good decision, it's become decidedly creepy in recent times.

To each its own I guess.

Quoting Rara (Reply 5):
a flight attendant walks around smiling and randomly grabbing people. Just slightly weird.

I find the add very classy and well done. They're not grabbing, they're helping, and that's what they do in their job every day. I wonder if you've ever flown SQ.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 9):
Greeting me by name and before landing the head FA came around to every passenger to have a short chat and thank us for flying SQ. It was all very personal and attention to detail was impressive. I will be flying them on a longer sector hopefully next year.

He gets it   

Quoting OA260 (Reply 9):
With regards to SQ Girl I actually think the image is as important as their livery. Others may disagree.

I'd say more important. The livery has changed over the years but Singapore Girl hasn't. They could come up with a completely different livery and that commercial would still apply. Get rid of Singapore Girl, and not a single one of SQ's commercials will make any sense.

lightsaber
Crew

Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:22 pm

Quoting SIA747Megatop (Reply 7):

I too wouldn't call this "retiring" the Singapore Girl.

Exactly. After going through old advertisements, this seems to be on the same trend. Soft (tone, lighting, music), mysterious Singapore girl walking out. The only difference is the adds have more interaction and this one has the Singapore girl acting like a manager in a tea field. Simply a minor tuneup to appeal more to women while having the same pull for male passengers.

Quoting Rara (Reply 5):
a flight attendant walks around smiling and randomly grabbing people. Just slightly weird.

Oh boy, you would have trouble with my 'huggy' extended family.  

Lightsaber
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!" - Mark Twain

dtw2hyd

Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:03 pm

No way. I hope this is not a brilliant idea of executives with no real job to do and a consulting firm. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Are they planning to introduce grannies?

Jet-lagged

Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:57 pm

Quoting Rara (Reply 5):
Quoting OA260 (Reply 2):

Such a weird advertisement. Technologically speaking it's brilliant, well-executed, and the shift between cities and regions is a great idea. But the content.... a flight attendant walks around smiling and randomly grabbing people. Just slightly weird.

She's like a minor super hero . . . . doing good deeds for people in need . . . just without the usual super powers! Maybe she can be added to the next Avengers movie.

SQ's ads - and past experience - certainly make me want to fly them. Can you imagine such a commercial with a flight attendant from one of the major U.S. carriers, or most of the European ones?

lightsaber
Crew

Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:36 pm

After seeing the ad, I remain convinced that this is a way of keeping the 'Singapore girl' without turning off female passengers (or wives of male passengers, who do influence where the FF miles are earned...).

Quoting jet-lagged (Reply 13):
She's like a minor super hero

Maybe...

Quoting jet-lagged (Reply 13):
Can you imagine such a commercial with a flight attendant from one of the major U.S. carriers, or most of the European ones?

Granny with a rolling pin in the library.

Lightsaber
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!" - Mark Twain

Braybuddy

Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:47 am

Well Singapore Girl seems to be alive and well and appearing at twenty seconds into the ad, so I don't know what all the fuss is about. She's been downgraded, for sure, but still there.

VC10er

Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:12 am

Why never even a Singapore Boy (or man?) in any image ever??? Half the pax are female and they should have some eye candy too and service with a gentleman's touch. I'd mention gay men too but I believe being gay is an issue in Singapore!

Nonetheless - she ought to say forever, even if she sometimes takes a back seat to a new message.
The world is missing love, let's use our flights to spread it!

docpepz

Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:43 am

Was she even downgraded? She's in every scene just about.

Flightsimboy

Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:51 am

"Retiring' the Singapore Girl? The title is misleading.......Retiring the Singapore Girl will be like taking the sun out of the solar system...The Singapore Girl is everything that is Singapore Airlines (no offence to the Singapore boys)...Isn't she also the reason they have not changed their uniform in years... Maybe she's taking slightly off focus in the marketing campaigns, but she will always be there.

FlyboyOz

Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:14 am

Heard about it few years ago (not that too long)....and then come back again later in 2011.... but what about this time 2013? Are they positive sure that Singapore girl icon is going to retire now?

SIA Returns To The Singapore Girl (by Docpepz Feb 6 2011 in Civil Aviation)
The Spirit of AustraliAN - Longreach

VC10er

Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:15 pm

She is way too much part of the brand assets. They may under play her to send a new message in the short term, but she will always return to the spotlight. The name, the service, the symbol and the "Singapore Girl" are the "ing" in Branding.
The world is missing love, let's use our flights to spread it!

docpepz

Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:29 pm

The full ads are now here

http://www.youtube.com/user/singaporeair/thelengthswegoto

Actually I think they're beautifully executed. And the Singapore girl is everywhere, she hardly took a back seat. However I think this is the first time in SIA's history that they have advertising where they have a storyline on the tea they serve, the leather on the seats they have or the movies they bring on board.

The title of this thread is a tad bit misleading, as the Singapore Girl is not being retired.

infinit

Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:27 am

Quoting VC10er (Reply 16):
Why never even a Singapore Boy (or man?) in any image ever??? Half the pax are female and they should have some eye candy too and service with a gentleman's touch. I'd mention gay men too but I believe being gay is an issue in Singapore!

Nonetheless - she ought to say forever, even if she sometimes takes a back seat to a new message.

Exactly. I see their point in having the centrality of the Singapore Girl for the consistent branding style they've been using but surely the Singapore Boy could make a guest appearance too.. 30-40% of their cabin crew are male anyway and from experience they're even better than their female counterparts. More than the North Asian carriers like NH, JL and OZ which hardly have any male crew. Would be nice to acknowledge their existence in an ad!

And contrary to its image from outside, Singapore is probably the most gay friendly city in Asia after Bangkok.. Just look at the number of gay bars, clubs and resource centres popping up all over Chinatown, which has over the last 10 years become Singapore's de facto gay district somehow.

huaiwei

Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:11 am

The first of four commercials have been launched.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_wxDuN3WNA&feature=youtu.be

The Singapore Girl appeared within two seconds, and for over 50% of the screen time thereafter. I am not sure how is that a sign that she is retiring in any way!  

[Edited 2013-09-01 22:11:57]
It's huaiwei...not huawei. I have nothing to do with the PRC! :)

aeroflop

Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:36 am

Singapore girl turned 25 and is now deemed too old   

infinit

Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:44 am

SQ created a promotional site for their new campaign- http://www.thelengthswegoto.com/
Not a main feature but one of the videos featured was on crew who speak other languages. And this particular one shows a male FA. Is this the first time SQ is using one of their male FAs in promotional videos?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOd41YMaoTw

docpepz

Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:53 am

Hmmm can they use the same company who created www.thelengthswegoto.com to redesign singaporeair.com??

aviasian

Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:54 am

I have been on a flight that Leading Flight Steward Attendant Gavin Quinton Chew operated ... and he is very very good. His spoken German is very clear and I have seen him interacting very well with German-speaking passengers and others. I am not surprised that he is featured as he stood out prominently, even in a set of crew that was very good.

KC Sim

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos