Jerseyguy

New Frontier Part 43

Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:54 pm

Does anyone know what the mechanical issue was in ILG with N201FR. They canceled today's ILG-DEN flight and have scheduled one for tommorrow. And its currently sitting on a taxiway near the rear parking lot with what either one emergency slide deployed or stairs cant really tell. It can be seen on the ILG parking webcam (which seems to be a little iffy today)

http://70.91.57.155/video.jpg?timeou...al_Parking-Rear-South&framerate=10

[Edited 2013-08-31 14:04:20]
Webmaster of an unoffical TTN page see profile for details

Jerseyguy

RE: New Frontier Part 43

Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:47 pm

Ok, can't be N201FR because the plane is still sitting there and according to Flight-Aware N201FR is currently making the flight to DEN. It can't be a good thing to have a plane out of service when your running such a tight operation.

ouboy79

Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:43 pm

Just a random thought...why is this still called "New Frontier" when they haven't really been all that new for awhile now? :-P

Jerseyguy

Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:48 pm

I believe because they don't want to get it confused with discussions on the previous Frontier Airlines.

srbmod

Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:57 pm

Quoting ouboy79 (Reply 2):
Just a random thought...why is this still called "New Frontier" when they haven't really been all that new for awhile now? :-P

Because it would be a bit morbid to call the threads "Last Frontier"......   

With the way the airline is changing, "New Frontier" is still rather appropriate and will continue to be so, especially if the deal to sell the airline to an unnamed third party.

sunking737

Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:19 pm

How about Frontier 2.0.43. Then after the buyout it will become Frontier 3.0 or would it be 4.0, because it is owned by Republic which would make it 3.0. 2.0 was the restart of Frontier. LOL
Just an MSPAVGEEK

GentFromAlaska

Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:23 pm

Quoting ouboy79 (Reply 2):
why is this still called "New Frontier"
Quoting jerseyguy (Reply 3):
I believe because they don't want to get it confused with discussions on the previous Frontier Airlines.

Perhaps segregating the LCC to a ULCC.

Quoting srbmod (Reply 4):

Besides it's already taken by Alaska the State.
Man can be taken from Alaska. Alaska can never be taken from the man.

Jerseyguy

Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:33 am

The plane is gone from ILG (or atleast moved), so I guess they were able to fix it, hopefully its back in service now. Ouboy, I'll propose we rename the threads to "Frontier Airlines (Current) part XX"

[Edited 2013-09-01 20:34:54]

Jerseyguy

Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:57 am

Looks like Frontier has discontinued Wilmington to Houston on September 30th. No press release or article but the only service to IAH after October is thru DEN on the website. I was alerted to this by a poster on another board that said that they canceled the flight but supposedly won't reroute them through DEN for free. I hope thats not true or its a misunderstanding because F9 needs to honor their committment and being that they can do it on their own metal it shouldn't be an issue.

Not surprised though at the cancelation though, Flew this route with my brother and his family a few weeks ago and the fares were rock bottom. 8 tickets at an average of $98.25 round trip.

[Edited 2013-09-03 20:05:51]

thomasphoto60

Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:08 am

Quoting jerseyguy (Reply 8):
Looks like Frontier has discontinued Wilmington to Houston starting in October. No press release or article but the only service to IAH after October is thru DEN on the website. I was alerted to this by a poster on another board that said that they canceled the flight but supposedly won't reroute them through DEN for free. I hope thats not true or its a misunderstanding because F9 needs to honor their committment and being that they can do it on their own metal it shouldn't be an issue.

Not surprised though at the cancelation though, Flew this route with my brother and his family a few weeks ago and the fares were rock bottom. 8 tickets at an average of $98.25 round trip.

Yeah, this was an oddball route, never understood the logic in implementing it, so I am not too surprised to see it cut.
"Show me the Braniffs"

thomasphoto60

Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:12 am

Quoting srbmod (Reply 4):

If some of the doomsayers are accurate it could be "The Final Frontier"   
"Show me the Braniffs"

Flytravel

Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:10 am

I was alerted to this by a poster on another board that said that they canceled the flight but supposedly won't reroute them through DEN for free.

I'm somewhat surprised that F9 sells ILG-DEN-IAH in the first place. It's on some itineries a 10 hour trip. ILG-IAH was 1300 miles, ILG-DEN-IAH is 2401 miles. Who'd buy that ticket? I can understand east coast-DEN-SLC/LAS/west coast, but not east coast-DEN-Texas. It's not like F9's fares on the connection through DEN to IAH are priced low.

[Edited 2013-09-03 22:11:34]

freakyrat

Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:40 am

South Bend Indiana's traffic numbers are in for July and for all of the Frontier fan's out there guess what airline led the airport in Load Factors. If you guessed Allegiant you were wrong. It was little old Frontier at 98.51%. So it begs the question what were Frontier's yields on the SBN-DEN route? If you take a look their figures this whole year with the exception of Jan, Feb, and April Frontier's loads were stellar in and out of SBN. If Frontier claims that they couldn't be profitable on the route than they were not pricing the route properly. When they pull out on Sept 8th they will have flown an estimated 21,000 or so passengers out of SBN and close to that number into SBN from Denver. These numbers are 1,000 passengers higher than my earlier figures which is even better. The numbers also prove that their is a demand seasonably for Denver service and/or better westbound connections thru Denver. These numbers are public knowledge and available to digest by Frontier's competitors like United.

Jerseyguy

Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:52 am

Quoting Flytravel (Reply 11):
I'm somewhat surprised that F9 sells ILG-DEN-IAH in the first place. It's on some itineries a 10 hour trip. ILG-IAH was 1300 miles, ILG-DEN-IAH is 2401 miles. Who'd buy that ticket? I can understand east coast-DEN-SLC/LAS/west coast, but not east coast-DEN-Texas. It's not like F9's fares on the connection through DEN to IAH are priced low.

I don't know if I'd fly that routing if the price was low, even at the $100RT they were offering the nonstop for. Thats a LONG day for a trip from the Philadelphia area to Texas.

Quoting freakyrat (Reply 12):
South Bend Indiana's traffic numbers are in for July and for all of the Frontier fan's out there guess what airline led the airport in Load Factors. If you guessed Allegiant you were wrong. It was little old Frontier at 98.51%. So it begs the question what were Frontier's yields on the SBN-DEN route? If you take a look their figures this whole year with the exception of Jan, Feb, and April Frontier's loads were stellar in and out of SBN. If Frontier claims that they couldn't be profitable on the route than they were not pricing the route properly. When they pull out on Sept 8th they will have flown an estimated 21,000 or so passengers out of SBN and close to that number into SBN from Denver. These numbers are 1,000 passengers higher than my earlier figures which is even better. The numbers also prove that their is a demand seasonably for Denver service and/or better westbound connections thru Denver. These numbers are public knowledge and available to digest by Frontier's competitors like United.

This is similar to the now canceled ILG-IAH flight. The flights were full but they didn't make any money off of it. There was a post on here that the average fare for this flight (as supposedly reported by a employee at ILG) was $53 each way. From the fact that it was dropped only 3 months after it started, I don't doubt it.

freakyrat

Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:43 am

That is where the problem lies with their planning dept. They did not need to price the flights like they did. At 98.5 load factor that is 135 passengers per flight for a flight length of 988 NM at a CASM wet at 11.9 cents a mile for the A319 (DOT Filed Figures) That comes out to a cost for a 138 seat aircraft of $16,225 for the SBN-DEN flight which means that they would have to charge those 135 passengers about $120.18 just to break even. A rounded off fare of about $150.00 per person on the SBN-DEN route would make them a small profit for the flight. The average SBN-DEN fare according to DOT figures before Frontier came was about $209.00. When all is said and done on Sept 8th Frontier would have flown over 21,000 passengers out of SBN and another 21,000 or so into SBN on 194 total flights. If they would have priced the tickets right F9 should have taken in about 8 million dollars in fares for the flights that maybe cost them 3 million to operate each way for a profit of 2 million dollars off the flights not including $700,000 in SCASD money. I mean how many $79.00 fares did they give away from, SBN-DEN. The average fare from SBN-DEN on F9 when I checked was $118.00, so they were undercutting their break even factor by a measily 2 dollars. I'm sure SBN passengers given a choice would have paid $20 more per ticket and kept the service.

smoot4208

Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:00 am

Looks like Frontier has discontinued Wilmington to Houston on September 30th. No press release or article but the only service to IAH after October is thru DEN on the website.
http://www.delawareonline.com/articl...-Airlines-ends-Houston-route-Oct-2

Looks like the route is gone for good, not just a seasonal suspension.

Quoting freakyrat (Reply 14):
That is where the problem lies with their planning dept. They did not need to price the flights like they did.

How do you know this? Just because the flights were full doesn't mean they weren't pricing flights correctly. The fact is F9 wasn't able to make money on the route. They tried. The fact UA never decided to start this route even on an RJ in the past 15 years tell me the economics of the route never made sense. F9 can't run every route just in the summer. They also made the decision to cut the route even after they would have had internal info on June's performance. I'm sure every carrier matched their fares as well. So F9 was never able to decent fares on SBN-DEN-XXX flights. Also given F9's minimal profitability, they aren't cutting profitable flights. If they cut a route, it was losing money. Other posters have attempted to explain yields to you that would let you understand why they cut the flight.

freakyrat

Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:43 am

Yields on the SBN-DEN flight may have been one factor in Frontier's decision to cut the flight. They explained to the SBN folks that they couldn't remain profitable on the route not that they weren't profitable. There was also some other factors( which I heard from F9 employees at another airport) beyond F9's control that cost them money on the route. One was their initial startup costs of establishing the station and the other I don't care to get into here.

As far as other carriers matching fares, they did to some extent and UA lost 30% of their business to F9 but lately F9 has stimulated traffic at SBN and UA has gotten their business back but DL is down a little bit.

As far as their fares go even Mike Boyd said that F9 was not pricing the flights right and giving away to many cheap seats.

UA did fly this route after deregulation in a B727. The flight was an afternoon flight that originated in FWA. UA could only get about 65 passengers at most to take the flight. Here F9 was getting 120-135 on an A319.

GentFromAlaska

Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:48 am

Looks like Frontier has discontinued Wilmington to Houston on September 30th.
Quoting thomasphoto60 (Reply 9):
Yeah, this was an oddball route, never understood the logic in implementing it,

I suppose F9 thought there would be a need to connect credit card America with big oil.

I'd like to see TTN connected to BNA or TTN to AUS

Jerseyguy

Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:53 am

Quoting GentFromAlaska (Reply 17):
suppose F9 thought there would be a need to connect credit card America with big oil.

I'd like to see TTN connected to BNA or TTN to AUS

Don't think the runway is long enough to go TTN to AUS. BNA is doable but not AUS.

Jerseyguy

Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:58 am

Quoting jerseyguy (Thread starter):
Does anyone know what the mechanical issue was in ILG with N201FR. They canceled today's ILG-DEN flight and have scheduled one for tommorrow. And its currently sitting on a taxiway near the rear parking lot with what either one emergency slide deployed or stairs cant really tell. It can be seen on the ILG parking webcam (which seems to be a little iffy today)

According to F9's facebook page it appears it was a inoperable weather radar.

slcdeltarumd11

Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:16 am

Quoting freakyrat (Reply 12):
It was little old Frontier at 98.51%. So it begs the question what were Frontier's yields on the SBN-DEN route? If you take a look their figures this whole year with the exception of Jan, Feb, and April Frontier's loads were stellar in and out of SBN. If Frontier claims that they couldn't be profitable on the route than they were not pricing the route properly.

I wonder what percentage of the plane was connections? Probably a very very large percentage. I think frontier wants flights really for o&d. SBN clearly was super full. I think frontier looses so much on misconnections that is why they are pushing for cities that can support higher numbers of o&d. Eventually I see them maybe all o&d? Truly copy allegiant ULCC?

freakyrat

Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:16 am

Quoting slcdeltarunmd11

"I wonder what percentage of the plane was connections? Probably a very very large percentage. I think frontier wants flights really for o&d. SBN clearly was super full. I think frontier looses so much on misconnections that is why they are pushing for cities that can support higher numbers of o&d. Eventually I see them maybe all o&d? Truly copy allegiant ULCC?"

SBN wanted Frontier in there for better westbound connections than at ORD and they were successful at it. Frontier is not the Frontier that it was and the connections at DEN are not as good as they used to be. Some are tight and others are strung out. If they would ever get back to the way they were there wouldn't be as many misconnections. SBN did not have that many O&D numbers per flight.

It's funny that Allegiant is making an A319 work all O&D from SBN-IWA.

MSYtristar

Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:46 am

Quoting jerseyguy (Reply 13):
This is similar to the now canceled ILG-IAH flight. The flights were full but they didn't make any money off of it.

Sounds like MSY-TTN. The load factor was 87% year to date through June. Seems like a yield management issue to me.

Jerseyguy

Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:08 am

I don't think MSY was like that, I couldn't get a seat to MSY under $200 each way before early June. I'm surprised though that they haven't announced it to comeback in time for Mardi Gras on March 4th.

GentFromAlaska

Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:22 pm

So with TTN closed for two months. Do we know where the airframes which were dedicated to TTN are being utilized?

I'm far from an expert; by my count four or maybe five airframes could be sitting idle. I don't recall of any increased market frequencies that weren't already put in motion. That leaves maintenance and charter work.

Frontier14

Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:54 pm

Quoting GentFromAlaska (Reply 24):

[quote=GentFromAlaska,reply=24]
USER PROFILE SEND INSTANT MSG ADD TO RESP MEMBERS SUGGEST DELETION SELECTED TEXT QUOTED _
User currently onlineGentFromAlaska From United States of America, joined Feb 2005, 2359 posts, RR: 1
Reply 24, posted Thu Sep 12 2013 16:22:17 your local time (19 minutes 49 secs ago) and read 27 times:

So with TTN closed for two months. Do we know where the airframes which were dedicated to TTN are being utilized?

Two RAH 190s were scheduled to leave or be withdrawn in September so that would account for two frames being used to fill in the 190 flights. There is some planned maintenance scheduled as well. In addition, a number of charter flights have been scheduled for the college football season.

Jerseyguy

Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:04 pm

Personally, I would love to see some "spares" around for 2 months but that certainly doesn't go with the whole ULCC model. Also we don't know what happens to the plane that operates ILG-IAH on Mondays Wednesdays and Fridays. It goes to MDW in the morning and back but as of 10/2 it will be sitting at ILG starting at about 12:30.

[Edited 2013-09-12 16:19:40]

Jerseyguy

Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:10 am

Would Frontier ever consider doing a west coast red-eye run at ILG. Places like LAX, SFO, and maybe LAS if us drives Spirit out of PHL?

Jerseyguy

Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:29 am

I could be wrong (I'm not familiar with their pricing out west), but it seems that Frontier is a "Tale of two airlines" In the east they are a ULCC with some ULCC policies but in the west they are a LCC (with LCC pricing) with the same ULCC polices. Shouldn't they only have ULCC policies in the cities where they have ULCC pricing?

GentFromAlaska

Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:26 pm

Quoting jerseyguy (Reply 27):
Would Frontier ever consider doing a west coast red-eye run at ILG. Places like LAX, SFO, and maybe LAS if us drives Spirit out of PHL?

A true red eye as I know it is a flight operating on a West to East heading which operates after midnight and crosses one or more timezones. With that said there are variables.

AS operated a Summer flight which departed JNU at 0130 and arrived in SEA at 0500 with the time change. Although the path was more SSE; It met the red eye criteria. On another trip arriving in DFW at 0515 from SEA-LAS-DFW at sunrise just as DFW was opening for a new day was pleasing. We had the terminal trains to ourselves. After a good stretch and some good coffee with one more flight left to catch I was energized again. I did get to blow $20 in the quarter slots near the airport gate area in LAS waiting for a connection to DFW at 0200.

Back to XXX-ILG red eye; In my mind It's'more about connecting two cites who share similar interest. ILG being in close proximity to corporate credit card America (Delaware) could work if it was connect to the right city. Although it wouldn't be a red-eye I think F9 should study the feasibility of connecting CLT and ILG; which connects two significant banking centers separated by 420 miles. Perhaps ATL-CLT-ILG which could become the ILG-DEN flight

[quote=jerseyguy,reply=28]it seems that Frontier is a "Tale of two airlines" In the east they are a ULCC with some ULCC policies but in the west they are a LCC (with LCC pricing) with the same ULCC polices. Shouldn't they only have ULCC policies in the cities where they have ULCC pricing?

Concur, A hybrid.

Amongst the chaos F9 appears to still be searching for an identity. The potential sale may be slowing forward progress to a fully integrated ULCC model. Perhaps the hybrid model works the best and they opted not to put all of their eggs in one basket.

Across all of my searches for ULCC: the acronym remains undefined in any aviation capacity. From a procedural aspect or Standard Operating Procedures SOP: I struggle with being something thats not clearly defined. Wiki identifies Low Cost Carrier (without the Ultra) awfully close to the ULCC model F9 is currently using on the right bank of the Mississippi (the East) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-cost_carrier.

Jerseyguy

Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:09 pm

Frontier Flight 395 KILG-KDEN Diverts to PHL
http://www.delawareonline.com/articl...port-made-emergency-landing-Sunday

Acorrding to comments in the article one pax heard " three loud explosions and a tailpipe fire at take-off" and that they were delayed 2 hours for maintenance reasons prior to the incident. Public Affairs Manager for PHL Victoria Lupica said that pilots reported a No 2 engine fire indication) but no fire was found on landing at PHL.

GentFromAlaska

Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:38 pm

Quoting jerseyguy (Reply 30):
pax heard " three loud explosions and a tailpipe fire at take-off" and that they were delayed 2 hours for maintenance reasons prior to the incident.

Because the plane was serviced upon arrival I wonder if anything occurred inbound to ILG. Mechs just don't check engines for no reason. A warning light illuminating in the flight deck could be a bad sensor. The backfire noise almost sounds like a fuel problem; possibly water in the fuel or a bad or clogged fuel filter. Might be time to conduct a clear and bright test of the fuel and on the tank truck which delivered it.

This brings up another question about F9 maintenance at ILG and in TTN does F9 outsource their maintenance at the outstations or do they keep their own staff on call. With the higher volume of flight at TTN it makes sense to have your own staff there at least in my mind.

I was reading some of the comments tied to the article posted above. My initial thought was why didn't the carrier who handles F9 Apple flights at PHL didn't step up to help. I'm guessing US. In the reimbursement arena in arrears it looks like rule # 240 on the F9 Contract of Carriage would apply.

ILG has seen it fair share of bad mojo across the last few weeks; there was another mechanical issue two or so weeks ago and then the ILG-IAH route cancellation fiasco last week. They say bad things happens in pairs of three. Hopefully this was the last of it.

sunking737

Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:46 pm

Any news/rumors on the sale of Frontier?? Also I don't recall will F9 get any of the CS100/300 that Rejet ordered for them??
Just an MSPAVGEEK

kingcavalier

Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:03 pm

Isn't the RJET shareholder meeting tomorrow? I imagine we will hear confirmation on the name of the potential buyer.
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness

Frontier14

Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:55 am

Yep, the RJET Board of Directors meeting is tomorrow, 9/17 in New York City.

n7371f

Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:28 am

Quoting Frontier14 (Reply 34):
Yep, the RJET Board of Directors meeting is tomorrow, 9/17 in New York City.

Yes and it is expected that the sale to Indigo will be announced.

Jerseyguy

Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:59 pm

Exclusive negotiations deadline has been extended till September 30th
http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/09/1...blic-airways-extends-frontier.html

freakyrat

Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:44 am

They need to bring back Jeff Potter or someone with his qualities to straighten out all the customer service issues and complaints that F9 is getting lately.

n7371f

Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:00 am

Quoting freakyrat (Reply 37):
They need to bring back Jeff Potter or someone with his qualities to straighten out all the customer service issues and complaints that F9 is getting lately.

Not going to happen...

But, yes, the complaints are skyrocketing. Some of it is simply due to the change in business philosophy. No matter how much you try and alert people of changes, half of them pay no attention.

A bigger concern I have is the toll the complaints and sudden turn in reputation is having on Frontier's employees, especially the one's who have been there a long time. There's little to no pride right now. Talking to some folks on the inside, there's no enthusiasm in their airline.

Jerseyguy

Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:31 am

Quoting n7371f (Reply 38):
A bigger concern I have is the toll the complaints and sudden turn in reputation is having on Frontier's employees, especially the one's who have been there a long time. There's little to no pride right now. Talking to some folks on the inside, there's no enthusiasm in their airline.

For the employees of Frontier, things are very uncertain because they don't know what will happen. If the sale goes thru to Inidigo Partners, what will that mean for employees with the fact that they have invested in Spirit in the past, who knows if they will decide to outsource DEN, call for pay cuts or what. If it doesn't go thru, that could cause its own set of problems couple that with an increase of customers yelling at them, its no wonder they aren't doing well. I hope that the Indigo sale will go thru by the end of the month and they can have atleast a little more certainty.

To all Frontier employees, I wish you luck.

freakyrat

Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:54 am

I hope it doesn't get like Spirit. Here at DFW the Airport Police have to be called out weekly to handle unruly Spirit passengers because of Spirit's screw ups or just broke airplanes with no spares.

F9Animal

Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:26 am

Like I have said all along.... Siegel was a huge mistake. He has destroyed any bit of morale left in the customers and employees. Bedford is such a god fearing man, but he brought the devil in to run Frontier. I still think outsourcing the F9 staffed outstations was a terrible mistake. I am so disgusted with how badly things have become, and how many coworkers I cared about got screwed by Siegel and Bedford. I even consider changing my username. If Indigo does buy Frontier, they will inherit some very unhappy workers. If Indigo plans to continue treating the workers the way Siegel and his loser followers have, Frontier will fail.
I Am A Different Animal!!

ouboy79

Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:50 am

Quoting F9animal (Reply 41):
Like I have said all along.... Siegel was a huge mistake. He has destroyed any bit of morale left in the customers and employees.

So SOP for Austin Powers then. How we got a job after being ran out of US is beyond me. Wolf and Gangwal had more appreciation than Siegel ever did. That says a lot. lol

CarsAir04

Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:12 pm

I didn't see it posted yet on here, but looks like Bendo has left for Spirit, per the press release from Spirit Airlines. Here is a portion of it: Bendo has been COO since last year at Frontier. Wonder if it is just to move on, or to get out before cleaning of the house with the new owners...

September 18, 2013
Spirit Airlines Appoints John Bendoraitis as Chief Operating Officer

MIRAMAR, Fla., Sept. 18, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Spirit Airlines (Nasdaq:SAVE) today announced it has appointed John Bendoraitis as its senior vice president and chief operating officer. Beginning mid-October, John will be responsible for leading Spirit's flight operations, inflight, technical services/maintenance, airport operations, safety, and supply chain/operations support departments.

slcdeltarumd11

Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:30 pm

Quoting freakyrat (Reply 40):
I hope it doesn't get like Spirit. Here at DFW the Airport Police have to be called out weekly to handle unruly Spirit passengers because of Spirit's screw ups or just broke airplanes with no spares.

I am by no means a fan of Spirit but they have a pretty low median plane age. Spirit has no planes nearly as old as AAs MDs/762s, or Deltas MD-88s. They dont have many broke airplanes quite the opposite actually.
No airline other than AA would have a spare plane at DFW either. There are tons of unruly passengers on all airlines. Spirit is extremely profitable they are not screwing up more than any other airline in this industry, you clearly just dont like them  

Jerseyguy

Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:55 am

Quoting slcdeltarumd11 (Reply 44):
Spirit is extremely profitable

All that proves is that people will be tolerate being treated like dog crap in order to save a dollar.

freakyrat

Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:21 pm

I wasn't saying that I don't like Spirit. They are good for what they do but Spirit like Frontier now has contracted gate personnel. They sometimes just do not know how to handle irregular operations. I mean when you have a broke airplane and the mechanics cannot get in to look at the engine until it cools off, do not keep the people in the airport for 11 hrs. before making a decision to cancel the flight which they did anyway after the rookie gate agent (from ATS who had only been on the job for two weeks) finally called his boss to the airport to make the decision. In my book that should have been SOP. When you have your own gate personnel like other carriers do or if you contract to another air carrier they know how to handle situations and take an interest in their passengers.

enilria

Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:52 pm

Quoting CarsAir04 (Reply 43):

I didn't see it posted yet on here, but looks like Bendo has left for Spirit, per the press release from Spirit Airlines. Here is a portion of it: Bendo has been COO since last year at Frontier. Wonder if it is just to move on, or to get out before cleaning of the house with the new owners...

September 18, 2013
Spirit Airlines Appoints John Bendoraitis as Chief Operating Officer

MIRAMAR, Fla., Sept. 18, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Spirit Airlines (Nasdaq:SAVE) today announced it has appointed John Bendoraitis as its senior vice president and chief operating officer. Beginning mid-October, John will be responsible for leading Spirit's flight operations, inflight, technical services/maintenance, airport operations, safety, and supply chain/operations support departments.

Wow, lots of stuff going on between Spirit and F9. I have heard that Siegel is very lightly involved in F9 which likely means that this guy was doing the heavy lifting. I'd guess they will promote Shurz. I don't know if he is capable of it.

Don't know if you saw this, but Indigo also is potentially selling their stake in Volaris through the IPO.
online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323342404579081333726726844.html

That is interesting in that it came just as Indigo let the initial exclusivity period expire and BB extended it. My guess is that there are a lot of thing happening behind the scenes. It's very hard to read the tea leaves, but it is clear that Indigo is sitting on a pile of money and is still in no hurry to buy F9.

PlanesNTrains

Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:12 pm

Quoting F9animal (Reply 41):
Like I have said all along.... Siegel was a huge mistake.

Can you quantify what Siegel has personally done at Frontier? I just am not up to speed.

Quoting jerseyguy (Reply 45):
All that proves is that people will be tolerate being treated like dog crap in order to save a dollar.

Then Frontier should be fine.

-Dave
-Dave

n7371f

Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:26 pm

The situation inside Frontier is getting more intense according to a couple of folks on the flight ops side...

Bedford is now basically begging the pilots and flight attendants to give up their equity claims in the Frontier sale for this sale (widely believed to be to Indigo) to go through. He's gone so far as to send letters to all employees urging the two work groups to agree to relinquish their agreements that were made a few years ago to help save Frontier.

Bill Franke, who runs Indigo, does not have a good reputation from his America West days for employee relations. He's long remembered for one certain comment that marginalized workers. And more than a few people believe Franke was behind the pilots strike at Spirit, not Baldanza. So point being...Franke doesn't want to deal with vested employees who have equity stakes in the company they work for.

So there's BB, and all his great talk, now trying to pit non-union employees at Frontier versus the unionized pilots and flight attendants -- he apparently sent a separate letter to the rank and file and told them if the pilots and flight attendants agree to let go of their ownership rights, the other employees will get raises, 401k matches, etc...

The Frontier pilots group has always been a very tight knit group. I know many of them have been excited about the day they get a portion of ownership of their airline and by accounts that is now holding up the sale from Republic.