New Name For British Midland?

Sun Oct 29, 2000 2:49 pm

Is it true that British Midland will change its name?
lots of rumors stated that the Americans have no idea what BM is, so BM will relaunch its company name and brand when they launch flights to the US.

RE: New Name For British Midland?

Sun Oct 29, 2000 5:52 pm

British Midland has commissioned design consultants, Landor Associates to look at re-branding the airline. This is because BM believes that their current image and name is too 'narrow' for the US market which is their next growth market.

Many people consider the name "British Midland" too parochial and regionally restrictive. BM hope that the new branding will have an internatiional flavour that will apeal to the US market.
Lets hope that they avoid the mistakes made by BA with their recent branding.

Airbus_A340

Sun Oct 29, 2000 6:49 pm

Well said and im suprised
thanks for the info.
regards
trev
People. They make an airline. www.cathaypacific.com

Sun Oct 29, 2000 6:59 pm

I don't see why BM should change their name just because they are relaunching flights to the USA. They operated schedules in the 70s and I think also the 80s from Castle Donnington (East Midlands) in England to New York with 707s under that title, so why not keep it now? But they had a different livery then, though.
Does anyone know what they will change it to? I hope they keep their British image.
Thanks for the info!
Alex

LH423

Sun Oct 29, 2000 10:36 pm

Personally, I think British Midland is a fine name! I don't know why they think naming the airline British London, or some other well-known region will help them anymore. British Midland is a bit narrow, but it won't stop people from flying on their airline! I think re-labelling the airline is an unnecessary action, but whatever they re-label it, please let it be good!

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

airman99o

Mon Oct 30, 2000 12:53 am

hey There,
I think that a good name for them would be British MidWorld. Why you ask well they are just going to be flying the Atlantic and it still keeps a bit of the old name but brings in a total new approach.

just my two cents worth

Airman99o
Safety is Everyones Responsibility.

Billy

Mon Oct 30, 2000 1:14 am

I do not know what is wrong with BMA. Michael Bishop has ruled out BlueBird (which was a strong rumour at one point).

dutchjet

Mon Oct 30, 2000 1:22 am

British Midland has gone from a regional british carrier to a major european airline and is now thinking global - the name change is being considered in connection with their new long-haul service to the usa. Many other airlines have gone this route: for example, Allegheny became US Air when it became a nation wide player, Trans-Texas became Texas International, etc. The major concern is that people outside of England do not understand that the Midlands is a region of that country. Rumors are that BRITISH STAR or BRITISH ATLANTIC are being considered - British Star would be an interesting name as BD is a memeber of the Star Alliance.

Scotty

Mon Oct 30, 2000 5:25 am

The danger here is that by adopting a new image for the North American market, they could lose the very strong, and very well liked, British Midland image at home. Golden rule - dont p..s off the supporters who come to all the home games!!

Mon Oct 30, 2000 6:41 am

Couldn't agree more Scotty.

British Midland has a well developed image in the UK and Europe. Just because they are launching flights to America doesn't require a name/image change.

Could you imagine if they changed their name to British Atlantic, and then nine months down the track, they decide that yields are not worth continuing with the flights, so they revert back to domestic and European flights. "British Atlantic" would sound a bit daft, and a shitload of money would have been wasted.

I might add that British Midland is well known here in Australia amongst Aussie travellers, due to the sometimes intense marketing of their UK and European Airpasses. So if the Aussies can get to know an airline which doesn't even flight here, I am sure the Yanks can do the same with one which does fly to their shores.

Cheers

Scotty
(the Aussie one)

dutchjet

Mon Oct 30, 2000 6:56 am

I agree with the last 2 comments one hundred percent, but the management at BD does not! They are looking for a more "global" image. I think that long haul routes for BD will be a major part of their future, with commitments for 8 A330-200s. Lets be grateful that this very good airline will, at least, not be called BLUEBIRD! With respect to waisting money, airlines can be good at that, I dont want to know how much BA spent on developing its latest, unsuccessful, world images scheme.

englandair

Sun Nov 05, 2000 3:58 am

Personally, I don't like British Star (it sounds cheap) and British Atlantic is too similar to Virgin Atlantic.
Blue Bird sounds absolute s**t, and British Midworld I'd say had 'regionalness' about it...just what BD want to get rid of.
I heard British Lion and, like someone else wrote, thought it sounded like some patriotic charter but it's certainly grown on me.
I think the WORST thing that British Midland could do would be to call themselves something like BD Airways.
My idea....British Millennium. It's modern, British, has no regional assosiation and origonal!
What do you think?

Hope to read your reply,
Jamie.

Sun Nov 05, 2000 4:11 am

Actually, British Atlantic was the original name for what is now Virgin Atlantic - it was set up by an American attorney, Randolph Fields, and several ex Laker people. The original plan in 1982 was to fly to the Falklands - then it was going to be an all-business class operation with DC10-30s to JFK in a 150 seat configuration. When Branson got involved, he demanded that the Virgin name be substituted for 'British' - the rest, as they say, is history!   

eg777er

Sun Nov 05, 2000 4:41 am

Have heard that it's going to be UK STAR.

I like this the most of all the suggestions here and in other places.

nickofatlanta

Why?

Sun Nov 05, 2000 4:55 am

I agree with the comments above against such a move. Even after the USA flights start, the vast majority of BD's business will be what it is now, domestic and European. Besides, some other airlines have expanded and not changed their names: Southwest and Northwest (yes, I know they dropped, Orient from the end of their name). I mean you could fly from Manchester, NH to Fort Lauderdale, FL via BWI and go nowhere near the SW USA! Similarly, NW, with hubs in DTW, MEM and AMS is not a NW-centered airline anymore. Another example would be British Caledonian - their transatlantic flights were mainly out of LGW, right? Not Scotland as the name suggests.

englandair

Sun Nov 05, 2000 4:55 am

Oh yeah,
I'd forgotten that Ceilidh. Sorry to change the subject, but why the Falklands? Was it because their a British dependantcy?(I think that's the correct term!)

eg777er

Sun Nov 05, 2000 5:03 am

Apart from the fact that it's a dependency, but yes.

Although British Atlantic would have been a flop - can you imagine flying scheduled to the Falklands? Target market of about 200 people?

englandair

Sun Nov 05, 2000 6:20 am

Where did you hear it's to be UK Star, and is that for certain?

Granite

Sun Nov 05, 2000 7:02 am

Hi all

There was a name bandied about a while ago and that was British Lion Airways.

Regards
Gary Watt
Aberdeen, Scotland

Sun Nov 05, 2000 7:12 am

I think they should stay with British Midland Airlines, it is fine.

Sun Nov 05, 2000 8:19 am

Let's face it-the majority of BD's operations are now ex-LHR, and the US sectors will be flown out of MAN for the forseeable future, so I can see why they think "Midland" is now irrelevant. Does the overall scheme change too, or just the titling?

eg777er

Sun Nov 05, 2000 8:21 am

Ahhh, Picard arrives.

To be honest, god knows what it will be called. Midland does sound v. perochial etc.

How've you been?

Sun Nov 05, 2000 8:23 am

It sure won't be UK Star. That was simply the cover title for an article on BD in Airways magazine.

British Atlantic has no presonality, neither does British Star any of that crud.

Blue Bird is a cute kind of zippy irreverent name that I like very much. Not every airline name has to be some boring geographic allusion. JetBlue, Fresh Air, Yes, these are the new ones.

Names the JetBlue management team tossed around:

Egg
Taxi
The Competition
Home
The High Road
Yes!
The Big Apple
True Blue
Hiway Air
Lift Air

-Russell

eg777er

Sun Nov 05, 2000 8:25 am

The reasoning behind UK STAR is that the airline is the only UK airline in the STAR alliance.

This was bandied around way before any article in Airways.

I doubt they'll drop 'British' or 'UK' - look at what happened when BA removed the flag from the fins.

Sun Nov 05, 2000 8:31 am

Eg777
G'day, I'll mail you later.

Sun Nov 05, 2000 9:52 am

Uh...don't have your email address alistair. Send us a mail at amp46@cam.ac.uk would you? Cheers

Laserjet

Sun Nov 05, 2000 9:57 am

I think that the name British Midland should stay. It is well recognised in Europe, and once the airline gets established in U.S.A, it would be there also.

777gk

Sun Nov 05, 2000 10:53 am

Their updated Diamond color scheme is very eye-catching and recognizable. I was looking forward to seeing them on an A330.

Landor is doing the design, eh? Lets hope they finish it this time... 

Sun Nov 05, 2000 11:07 am

Eg, United is the only STAR member in the states, Air Canada is the only STAR member in Canada, SIA is the only STAR member in Singapore, ANA is the only STAR member in Nippon, Mexicana is the only STAR member in Mexico,....you sense a pattern here. In fact every STAR member holds the exclusive "STAR" designation in their respective country. So I don't what you or BD was trying to get at.

#2, we all alliances change, form, dissolve etc.. Why tie in the airline's complete image and identity with something far from immutable.

#3, Also, is the airline ailing so greatly, that its STAR affiliation is being banked on as a complete saving grace to reinvigorate the carrier? Nope. In fact no other member in STAR or any other airline for that matter has decided to incorporate its alliance into its name.

So the name UK Star, while sounding boring and cliched, seems to have little logic.

Let me just say, that British Midland, while a fine carrier, is no British Airways. Whether BA is the world's favorite airline is debatable, but that it is one of the world's most important and active is not. BA is one of Britain's most recognized national symbols abroad, and a former state enterprise that has a history of representing HRH around the world. Any tinkering or deBritishization of this national pride symbol (depsite its recent difficulties) of course was taken with nothing but skepticism. British Midland does not fit this bill in the least. Its preposterous to think that if "British" was removed from the title, anything in the neighborhood of the BA disaster would ensue.

Sun Nov 05, 2000 6:22 pm

TWA, I have to say I disagree with your last statement; this is because you are underestimating the fierce patriotism of the British general public.

BD is of course, not as well recognised as BA within the UK, but believe me, if BD dropped "British" the papers would latch on to it in no time, and there would be a lot of outrage, with high-profile individuals (members of parliament-MP's) boycotting the airline or similar.

Why such fierce patriotism for all things British? It's a historical thing; the British have always been deeply suspicious of foreigners, and deservedly so, as it has been the subject of expansionist desires by it's European neighbours all through history (this is different to Empire history, which wasn't a desire for overseas land, but more a political display of power to other nations, which Britain was under pressure to promote, as other countries were also doing the same). It's therefore an instinct more than anything.

Anyway, the point is there would be major PR problems for BD in dropping "British", but we'll see.

Trident

Sun Nov 05, 2000 6:59 pm

British Midland has already changed its name once, it was originally called "Derby Airways" - definitely parochial. Why not revert to using the initials BMA as they tended to do in the 70's?

Many major airlines have titles which do not overtly reflect nationality eg:

Qantas
SAS
SABENA
TWA
United
LOT
Iberia (unless you're good at geography or know your Latin)
Lufthansa
Olympic
Aer Lingus

Scotty

Sun Nov 05, 2000 8:20 pm

Ah Picard. Logical as ever, following in the ways of your Vulcan starfleet friends!!

You are right. British Midland has built up a very good support from within the UK and to change would be saying to everyone "thanks guys now shove off, we're big now"

Anyway, why should British Airways be called British Airways? They hardly go anywhere else in the UK except London. Everyone else gets franchise operations who happen to look the same as BA

Scotty

Flaps

Sun Nov 05, 2000 10:43 pm

The British Midland name, logo, color scheme and brand are all outstanding. It would be foolish to throw that away. UK Star, British Atlantic or whatever is just as unrecognizable to a new market as the current name. Nothing would be gained by the change other than confusing current customers.

I would imagine that a large number of British Midland's transatlantic customers will be those same folks that are currently flying its UK and European routes now. It is far better to build upon an existing, strong brand than to rebuild from scratch. Remember that in the Allegheny and USAir name changes both of these companies had horrible reputations in many areas. For them the name change represented a fresh start. British Midland already has its act together and has no need to "hide" its past under a new name.

Mon Nov 06, 2000 2:30 am

You know, I completely agree, I like the British Midland look and image. As for the name, it sounds kind of cool, becuase the word "midland" is not used in the Americas, so it sounds genuinely european or british. I agree, keep status quo.

tristar4ever

Mon Nov 06, 2000 3:36 am

BD is great airline and it has an exellent reputation here in the uk. unfortunatly it is typical that with britains obsession with america, BD are required to give in and change their name and image to something bland and unimaginative(uk star) just to please the american market.
but i want to riase the issue of the idea of starting transatlantic flights, it had long been known that the market is floded with extra seats, and airlines are loosing a fortune on these routes, look at virgin and BA`s recent profit dives. it doesnt seem a good idea for BD to enter into this cut throat market. their main selling point will be lower prices, but how will they turn lower prices into a profit. I just hope BD know what they`re doing, and arent going to suffer at the hands of a ceo doing a massive ego trip accross the atlantic. i`m not saying that the wonderful sir michael bishop is responsable, but i`m sure that there are some secret frank lorenzo`s in the management waiting to cash in some BD shares before destroying the airline.
any other thoughts.......

Mon Nov 06, 2000 5:34 am

Tristar,
It's mainly the British Government and businesses in this country (as well as all over the world) which have an obsession with the lucrative US market for...well anything, including airline seats.

The British as a people probably don't share quite the same "obsession", in the strict sense of the word. (not that I'm saying they don't like the US).

Just being pedantic 

Scotty

Mon Nov 06, 2000 7:56 am

Canny Scots (and English, Irish and Welsh as well) know when they are getting good value and service. And BD provide that. Any change, real or perceived, will give them problems. Besides, their livery is outstanding in any airport.

I think the dreaded design consultant is lurking. More "world tails" or similar "luvvy" garbage? Or another white livery with blue bits. Now there's a name - Bluebit Airlines

englandair

Tue Nov 07, 2000 3:58 am

If they have to rename BD I hope it becomes Air Great Britain/ British International.