sankaps
Topic Author

Why Emirates Airline And Not Airlines?

Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:27 pm

Always wondered about this... why does Emirates refer to itself as Emirates Airline and not Emirates Airlines? Why buck an almost century-old naming convention? Anyone know the story behind this? Thanks!

par13del

RE: Why Emirates Airline And Not Airlines?

Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:50 pm

I don't officially know but how about singular and plural?
It is the Emirates and they have an airline not multiple airlines, now they do but whoever got the legacy name first - Emirates - they get to use airline.

Pe@rson

Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:50 pm

Because it is one airline, not more than one.

You could perhaps interpret "Airlines" or "Airways" to mean routes or such.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

sankaps
Topic Author

Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:26 pm

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 2):
Because it is one airline, not more than one.

But so is British Airways and Japan Airlines.... that is the norm that EK seems to be bucking.

Pe@rson

Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:45 pm

Quoting sankaps (Reply 3):
But so is British Airways and Japan Airlines....

If we take the singular-versus-plural argument to be valid, they should technically be Airway and Airline, although British Airway sounds hugely odd.  

[Edited 2013-09-05 12:47:04]
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

rlwynn

Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:07 pm

British Airways does not just fly one airway. Thay fly many airways. Airlines being used as a plural for a single company is a bit strange though. Is it used as airlines as in rail lines? I guess since it basically has been used since the start of passenger service.
I can drive faster than you

airDFW

Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:17 pm

May be because they say Emirate"s" airline? Like Americans Airline?  

Viscount724

Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:41 pm

It doesn't really matter since EK rarely uses the "Emirates Airline" terminology. It's virtually always just "Emirates".

As a sidenote, for about 4 years after TWA changed it's name from Transcontinental & Western Air in the mid-1940s, it used "Trans World Airline" but changed it to Airlines in 1950.

November/December 1949 timetable, one of the last before they switched from "Airline" to "Airlines".

qf2220

Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:44 pm

Quoting rlwynn (Reply 5):
Airlines being used as a plural for a single company is a bit strange though. Is it used as airlines as in rail lines?

If you think back (and refer to some of the old route maps, esp in the USA), air routes used to look a lot like rail routes, with a starting point and a finishing point and many stops in between where pax and cargo was set down and collected. Now, the emphasis is on the discrete stops. An aircraft can be scheduled to operate on a 'line' which will have many flight numbers over many days but we dont see this so much, we more see the origin and destination.

So I agree, the word airlines can refer to the routes and as there are many air lines flown by a company, Id think it more appopriate to refer to them as "Airlines". They are the airlines of the company. Ill be controversial and throw an apostrophe into the mix, but perhaps it should be Emirates' Airlines?  Wow!

sankaps
Topic Author

Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:47 pm

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 7):
It doesn't really matter since EK rarely uses the "Emirates Airline" terminology. It's virtually always just "Emirates".

True. They are using the full form in their stadium banners at the ongoing US Open though, which is where it caught my eye.

[Edited 2013-09-05 14:34:10]

MANYUL

Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:22 pm

Perhaps if you take United Airlines as an example they are an amalgamation of airlines, past and present, and have subsidiaries such as Expressjet which carry out some of their routes. So therefore plural would be better placed than the singular. Emirates however are a single entity.

hotplane

Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:26 pm

'Emirates' from the United Arab Emirates and they are the 'airline' for that country.
?

srbmod

Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:28 pm

Quoting QF2220 (Reply 8):
If you think back (and refer to some of the old route maps, esp in the USA), air routes used to look a lot like rail routes, with a starting point and a finishing point and many stops in between where pax and cargo was set down and collected.

There was once a railroad here in the US called Seaboard Air Line Railroad. They once tried to start a Seaboard Airlines, but anti-trust laws killed the idea.

In the days before air travel, the term "air line" was a commonly used term for the shortest distance between two points, straight line that ignored any natural obstacles.

rutankrd

Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:54 pm

The sentence -

The Emirates (plural) Airline would be correctly constructed.

[Edited 2013-09-05 14:57:28]

speedbored

Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:35 pm

But so is British Airways and Japan Airlines.

Actually, no they're not. Both British Airways and JAL are groups of companies.

Quoting sankaps (Thread starter):
Why buck an almost century-old naming convention?

Probably because there is no convention. Granted, the plural is a lot more common (by an approximate ratio of 10:1 - I can't be bothered to count exactly), but if you look at a list of airline names throughout the world, there are plenty that use the singular.
Still don't like the look and feel of the site? Look at:http://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1335851

EmiratesEK231

Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:43 pm

Quoting srbmod (Reply 12):
They once tried to start a Seaboard Airlines, but anti-trust laws killed the idea.

Well, Seaboard World Airlines already existed... not sure if that has any relevance.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Mick Bajcar
View Large View Medium

Photo © Udo K. Haafke

I AM A NORTHWEST AIRLINES & EMIRATES LOVER! MY FAVORITE FLIGHTS HAVE BEEN ON THE 777, 727, DC-9, A320, AND 737.

sankaps
Topic Author

Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:46 pm

Quoting Speedbored (Reply 14):
Actually, no they're not. Both British Airways and JAL are groups of companies.

Well, it can be argued so is Emirates Airline. They own other businesses including another airline, FlyDubai.

Regardless, I don't thing BA and JAL used the word Airlines to denote their subsidiary airlines (in fact when BA was renamed British Airways from BOAC in the 1970s, I don't think they had any other airlines in their fold). Neither did Singapore Airlines when they were named that, though later Tradewinds / Silkair, Tiger, Scoot came into their group.

71Zulu

Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:12 pm

View Large View Medium

Photo © Ralf Manteufel

Clickable links only please!

SPQR

Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:43 pm

Now that you mention rail, most rail companies use the singular form e.g. XYZ Railroad or ABC Railway. Shipping lines also generally use the singular when they have 'line' in the title (e.g. Maersk Line) although there are a few that use 'lines'. long story short, I don't think there is a proper format, just whatever happens to be more popular in a particular industry segment.

aerdingus

Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:49 pm

Quoting hotplane (Reply 11):
'Emirates' from the United Arab Emirates and they are the 'airline' for that country.

I agree. Now that I think about it, it gives a vibe of exclusivity. This exact topic used to drive me nuts....but I never sat down & thought about it!
2016: BHX GLA KIR LCY LGW MUC VIE BA EI FR LH OS A320 A321 ATR 42 ATR 72 B738 E190 E195

GT4EZY

Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:09 am

They aren't the only airline to use airline instead of airlines.
Proud to fly from Manchester!

AyostoLeon

Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:37 am

Quoting sankaps (Reply 16):

Flydubai, otherwise known as Dubai Aviation Corporation, is not owned by Emirates airline, nor is it part of the Emirates Group, despite both companies having the same Chairman. The Emirates Group annual reports do not show ownership in any other airlines. Even Emirates Skycargo is listed on the Group's website as being a division of Emirates airline, due to using the belly space of its passenger aircraft as well as dedicated freighters.

The Emirates Group includes about 50 companies, including Emirates airline and dnata. However, the subsidiaries of EK are related to engineering, catering and hospitality and not other airlines.
The person with no dignity eats his dinner twice

gunsontheroof

Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:47 am

Quoting par13del (Reply 1):
It is the Emirates and they have an airline not multiple airlines, now they do but whoever got the legacy name first - Emirates - they get to use airline.
Quoting hotplane (Reply 11):

Incorrect. Not only is EK not the sole airline in the UAE, they're not even the flag carrier...that title belongs to EY. The decision to use "Emirates Airline" instead of "Emirates Airlines" probably has more to do with marketing preference than anything else...it definitely has an air of sophistication/exclusivity to it.

Pellegrine

Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:04 am

I think this is strictly stylistic, not grammatical.

'Emirates' is a plural noun, while 'Airline' is singular. "Emirates Airlines" looks decent when reading, but it sounds funny when you speak it.

As Pe@rson stated, you can interpret 'Airlines' to mean multiple routes flown by that airline.

Also "Emirates Airline" can be transposed as "Airline of (the) Emirates". Which makes total sense. Of course EK serves Dubai and not any of the other UAE states, so it is a little presumptuous on their side.

Quoting sankaps (Reply 9):
True. They are using the full form in their stadium banners at the ongoing US Open though, which is where it caught my eye.

Yes.

Courtesy Emirates
oh boy, here we go!!!

tortugamon

Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:16 am

Emirates is a federation of seven emirates. Its plural versus every other example has been singular.

The plural or Attorney General is Attorneys General. Not Attorney Generals or Attorneys Generals.

tortugamon

AyostoLeon

Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:04 am

Quoting Pellegrine, reply=23:
EK serves Dubai and not any of the other UAE states, so it is a little presumptuous on their side.

Perhaps not so much if you consider the history. Emirates was founded in 1985. In contrast, Etihad and Air Arabia were founded in 2003, RAK Airways was founded in 2006 and flydubai in 2008. Prior to the establishment of Etihad, the Emirate of Abu Dhabi had a stake in Gulf Air, now completely owned by Bahrain. So for the first 18 years of its history, Emirates could indeed be viewed as the airline of the emirates.

Of course today, the flag carrier of the UAE is Etihad, as its name suggests.
The person with no dignity eats his dinner twice

Pellegrine

Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:24 am

Quoting AyostoLeon (Reply 25):
Perhaps not so much if you consider the history. Emirates was founded in 1985. In contrast, Etihad and Air Arabia were founded in 2003, RAK Airways was founded in 2006 and flydubai in 2008. Prior to the establishment of Etihad, the Emirate of Abu Dhabi had a stake in Gulf Air, now completely owned by Bahrain. So for the first 18 years of its history, Emirates could indeed be viewed as the airline of the emirates.

Of course today, the flag carrier of the UAE is Etihad, as its name suggests.

You are right, I defer to your statement.    I should have stopped at my original sentiment, "Airline Emirates."
oh boy, here we go!!!

AirIndia

Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:11 am

A quick look through Emirates' sponsorship pages reveal that Emirates uses "Fly Emirates" as its sponsoring name on almost all major events.
http://www.emirates.com/ae/english/a...tes-sponsorships/sponsorships.aspx

However, US Open is an exception. The key reason that could be driving this deviation from norm is the lack of brand awareness and salience in the US. Through this "Emirates Airline" tag, the aim is to increase awareness of the brand as well as establishing it as an airline brand and not some other random middle eastern sounding brand.

I would not be surprised if the next renewal of US Open sponsorship contracts, (say in 5 years) Emirates shifts to the usual "Fly Emirates" tag......

airbuseric

Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:32 am

easyJet names itself "easyJet Airline Co. Ltd." , which is similar.

The public uses 'I fly easyJet' but they fly 'easyJet Airline'
Same goes with EK, they fly Emirates (Airline)

"The whole world steps aside for the man who knows where he is going"

Pellegrine

Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:36 am

Quoting AirIndia (Reply 27):
The key reason that could be driving this deviation from norm is the lack of brand awareness and salience in the US. Through this "Emirates Airline" tag, the aim is to increase awareness of the brand as well as establishing it as an airline brand and not some other random middle eastern sounding brand.

I rather like your thinking.
oh boy, here we go!!!

Robbie86

Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:18 am

It is propably a way for them to say that EK is THE airline of the United Arab Emirates.

If they were to refer to The Emirate of Dubai, they would call themself Emirate Airline, not Emirates

If they were to refer themself as one of many airlines in the UAE the would call themself Emirate Airlines, not Airline.

directorguy

Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:15 am

People tend to refer to EK as just 'Emirates', the same way we might speak of Qantas. However, to distinguish Emirates from the (United Arab) Emirates, someone decided to add Airline, almost as an afterthought.
In Arabic, we refer to EK as Tayaran al Imarat. Tayaran is usually the Arabic equivalent of 'air', and is found in the Arabic equivalent of Egypt Air, Gulf Air, Oman Air, Air Arabia.
'Khotout jawiya' (literally air lines) is the Arabic equiv. for airlines like Kuwait Airways, Saudi Arabian Airlines, Sudan Airways etc.
Because in Arabic we refer to Tayaran al Imarat, in keeping with convention, it should be Emirates Air or Air Emirates. However, because they probably want to want their name to be just Emirates, they added the somewhat unconventional Airline, knowing that if they became Air EK, it would stick more with the public.

Bongodog1964

Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:24 am

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 2):Because it is one airline, not more than one.
But so is British Airways and Japan Airlines.... that is the norm that EK seems to be bucking.

By dictionary definition, Airways refers to routes flown, airline refers to the operating company, hence the following examples quoted are correct:
British Airways is one airline that flies a number of routes
Emirates Airline is one airline representing the Emirates
United Airlines is the amalgamation of a number of airlines

Emirates Airlines or British Airway would be grammatically incorrect.

brilondon

Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:45 am

There was once a railroad here in the US called Seaboard Air Line Railroad. They once tried to start a Seaboard Airlines, but anti-trust laws killed the idea.

In the days before air travel, the term "air line" was a commonly used term for the shortest distance between two points, straight line that ignored any natural obstacles.

The Seaboard Air Line Railroad was created in 1916 to put some perspective on the above statement when talking about the historical context that it was in fact created through a merger of Carolina, Atlantic and Western Railway and the Seaboard Airline.
Rush for ever; Yankees all the way!!

sankaps
Topic Author

Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:10 am

Quoting Bongodog1964 (Reply 32):
British Airways is one airline that flies a number of routes
Emirates Airline is one airline representing the Emirates
United Airlines is the amalgamation of a number of airlines

Why? Emirates is also one airline that flies a number of routes.

I can however see the grammatical issue you allude to, in that it would then be more correct to call it "Emirati Airlines", just like British Airways or American Airlines or Indian Airlines. But then that would imply that Japan Airlines and Singapore Airlines are grammatically incorrect (as in they should then be Japanese Airlines and Singaporean Airlines).

[Edited 2013-09-06 03:18:14]

gkirk

Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:15 am

Quoting airbuseric (Reply 28):
easyJet names itself "easyJet Airline Co. Ltd." , which is similar.

The public uses 'I fly easyJet' but they fly 'easyJet Airline'
Same goes with EK, they fly Emirates (Airline)

Should it thus be easyJets? Because they have many jets?      
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

RyanairGuru

Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:18 am

Quoting sankaps (Reply 34):
Why? Why can't Emirates is also one airline that flies a number of routes.

If it was Emirates Airways that would be correct - because they fly more than one route.

But, as pointed out several times, because the word "Emirates" is plural, Emirates Airlines is grammatically wrong. As suggested, Attorneys General is a good comparison.

that would imply that Japan Airlines and Singapore Airlines are grammatically incorrect (as in they should then by Japanese Airlines and Singaporean Airlines).

Sorry, I don't follow you logic here?
Worked Hard, Flew Right

sankaps
Topic Author

Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:20 am

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 36):
Sorry, I don't follow you logic here?

Logic is that the Airlines and Airways I the stated examples refer to a nationality -- British, American, Indian -- and not the country name - Japan, Singapore. If country names were used, then they would be UK Airways, America or USA AIrlines, and India Airlines.

sankaps
Topic Author

Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:23 am

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 36):

But, as pointed out several times, because the word "Emirates" is plural, Emirates Airlines is grammatically wrong. As suggested, Attorneys General is a good comparison.

That probably is the best explanation. Can't think of any other plural name examples that could be counter examples. Would Trans States Airways be a counter example?

Aesma

Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:54 am

As many here have said, airlines plural makes sense when talking about several air lines being served. So using "airlines" in the name of the company is logical.

What I really wonder about is rather, when airlines the companies started to be called as such. Not air transportation company or whatever, but "airline" for one and "airlines" for several like "the airlines of Europe" (which could easily be understood as the "air lines of Europe", a very different meaning).
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

breiz

Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:28 pm

I am not sure if Emirates, the airline, does use "Emirates Airline" in any way.
Their website, aircraft, marketing material,..., are all labelled "Emirates".
A Google search tends to confirm this.
Associating "Airline" to "Emirates" is most probably used to clarify that you are talking about the airline and not about the emirates.

sankaps
Topic Author

Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:34 pm

Quoting breiz (Reply 40):
I am not sure if Emirates, the airline, does use "Emirates Airline" in any way.

See post 23 above.

3rdGen

Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:20 pm

In the past an "AirLine" referred to a route that a company with airplanes would fly. Hence United had many routes i.e. airLINES which it flew, so it came to be known as United Airlines. Same with Airway, which is synonymous to airline, and so you have companies which fly many different Airways

Later on it became convention that a company providing transport on heavier than air flying machines be known simply as "an airline". No one says "which airlines are you flying on today", or "in your opinion which is the best airlines to fly on?".

Emirates, being a new comer on the aviation scene is just one of those which used this latter convention in naming itself. Perhaps because they did not really think about it or because the word Emirate in "United Arab Emirates" is itself plural, and Emirates wanted to come across, at least in the public eye as being the flag carrier of the nation of 7 emirates, which at that time had only one "official" airline, Gulf Air, serving it. GF was owned by Abu Dhabi but was also co-owned by Bahrain, Qatar and Oman, neither of which were part of the UAE. This is further evidenced by the fact that Emirates airlines proudly flies the flag of the UAE on its tail even though it is only the national airline of one Emirate and not the other 6.

Please also note that there is no official Emirati flag carrier. Each Emirate has its own carrier or none. As of right now we have Emirates for Dubai, Etihad for Abu Dhabi, Air Arabia for Sharjah, and RAK Airways of Ras Al Khaimah
لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله

pilotanthony

Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:21 pm

Because EMIRATES = UAE, United Arab Emirates. therefore Emirates is the airline of the UAE
Anthony Paraschou

sankaps
Topic Author

Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:37 pm

Quoting 3rdGen (Reply 42):
Please also note that there is no official Emirati flag carrier. Each Emirate has its own carrier or none. As of right now we have Emirates for Dubai, Etihad for Abu Dhabi, Air Arabia for Sharjah, and RAK Airways of Ras Al Khaimah

Interesting then that Etihad refers to itself as "Etihad Airways, the national airline of the United Arab Emirates" on its web page.

airbazar

Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:50 pm

Quoting sankaps (Thread starter):
Always wondered about this... why does Emirates refer to itself as Emirates Airline and not Emirates Airlines? Why buck an almost century-old naming convention? Anyone know the story behind this? Thanks!

I don't know if there's a story behind it. To me it's just basic grammar.
- Emirates Airline referes to the airline of the Emirates. The focus is on "Emirates". Gramatically, there's no mistaking where this airline is from.
- When you use "Airlines" or "Airways", it's refering to the route network or reach of said airline. The focus is on its size and scope, not so much where the airline is from. For example: Delta Airlines could be the name of an airline anywhere in the World. JetBlue Airways, same thing. And the list goes on and on.

Of course there are exceptions to both but I think that's what it is.

sankaps
Topic Author

Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:56 pm

Quoting airbazar (Reply 45):
I don't know if there's a story behind it. To me it's just basic grammar.

The grammar is fine in both examples you provide, but the meaning changes slightly as you point out... though I would think even British Airways wants to convey "airline of Great Britain" rather than "we fly on many airways from Britain".

ytz

Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:15 pm

It's the same way how the plural of aircraft is aircrafts in that part of the world. The English language has local pecularities everywhere.

FlyPIJets

Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:18 pm

I'm I correct that grammatically it make no difference since they are all trademarks?

But if it did need to be correct, Air Lines =/= Airlines. The former is a collection of routes, the latter a collection of companies that fly service of some type?
Rex Kramer: Get that finger out of your ear! You don't know where that finger's been!

Bongodog1964

Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:28 pm

Why? Emirates is also one airline that flies a number of routes.

Emirates Airlines would suggest that the company was an amalgamation of more than one airline which it isn't.