Alias1024
Topic Author

Delta Joining S&P 500

Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:24 pm

Announced this afternoon that Delta will join the S&P 500 index September 10th. Shows just how far DL has come from its bankruptcy, to now be included in the index. The hard work of everyone at Delta is paying off.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/.../06/us-delta-idUSBRE98513K20130906
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

deltalaw

RE: Delta Joining S&P 500

Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:03 am

Apparently DL has been waiting a few months for a slot on the S&P to open up. Pretty impressive when you consider where they were just a few years ago.

RDUDDJI

Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:05 am

Love or hate DL, as a business they are leading the other US legacy carriers by far.
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

DL747400

Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:59 am

One more very significant step in the journey back to investment-grade status. More good things coming for DL...... stay tuned!
From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.

skymiler

Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:54 pm

Is this the first time that an airline has been on the S&P 500?

Also, who is dropping off the S&P?

Congratulations Delta!
I love to fly, and it shows!

MIflyer12

Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:57 pm

BMC Software is being dropped from the S&P 500 as it goes private: it is being acquired in a deal led by Bain Capital.

SuseJ772

Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:29 pm

I love aviation. I love Delta. And I am very proud of what they have done over the years coming out of bankruptcy and becoming the airline they are. But as Gerard Aprey once said, airlines are bad investments. The high cost of capital, the relatively low margin and the dependence on forces way beyond your control (fuel prices, weather, regulatory bodies, etc...) make it tough to consider them a long-term investment.

I am glad they are riding the wave in the good times, but in the airline industry the good times are never the "GREAT" times and the bad times can be some horrible times.
Currently at PIE, requesting FWA >> >>

jetblueguy22

Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:02 pm

Quoting suseJ772 (Reply 6):
But as Gerard Aprey once said, airlines are bad investments. The high cost of capital, the relatively low margin and the dependence on forces way beyond your control (fuel prices, weather, regulatory bodies, etc...) make it tough to consider them a long-term investment.

I used to completely agree with you. But in recent times, not so much. Margins are slowly but surely improving. Mergers have meant less capacity into many markets. The market is a lot different than where it was 10 years ago. It has drifted from the "glory days" of flying into a realistic business model. Airlines are better utilizing space on aircraft, they are charging for bags and meals on short sectors, they are constantly evaluating ways to lower fuel burn, etc. Yes they have always been a business. But I think they are now starting to evolve into realizing declaring bankruptcy every 5-10 years isn't sustainable. Yeah there are things outside their control like fuel and weather, but they are getting smarter about how they deal with those situations.

Congrats to DL. This is pretty huge. It goes to show how the leadership has done an excellent job of running the airline and evolving it. DL's product may not be sexy like some other airlines, but I can always count on them to get me from A to B comfortably, on time, and staffed with a nice and professional crew. I'm a DL fanboy so I'm always going to talk them up. But I really do hope some of the stragglers can get their act together. It would be awesome to have a somewhat stable industry for once.
Pat
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

LipeGIG

Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:21 pm

Quoting jetblueguy22 (Reply 7):
I used to completely agree with you. But in recent times, not so much. Margins are slowly but surely improving.

In fact I believe airlines are adapting to these times. They learn how to create new sources of revenue, took advantage of credit card agreements as a working capital source, focus on keeping high yield and people that travel a lot.
Learn also that they need to do a non-stop investment in capital looking to keep their fleet as new as possible and always reducing fuel consumption.

Delta on S&P 500 just shows that's the way to do it.
New York + Rio de Janeiro = One of the best combinations !

xdlx

Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:21 pm

Under Anderson DL has thrived... Who will fill those shoes, when another S&P5k CO calls for Anderson's and offers
twice what he makes at DL? Can we think at DL beyond Anderson already?

cjg225

Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:55 pm

Congrats to DL!

Really hope they can keep up this momentum. Anderson has done such a good job with them the last few years. And yet they still have such a bad reputation amongst many people...
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

rwy04lga

Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:44 am

Quoting xdlx (Reply 9):
Under Anderson DL has thrived
Quoting cjg225 (Reply 10):
Anderson has done such a good job with them the last few years. And yet they still have such a bad reputation amongst many people.

A lot of former 'Red Tails' were bad-mouthing him prior to the IAM vote. I don't see what their problem was with him. I think he's doing a top-notch job and rue the day he leaves Delta.
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

FlyASAGuy2005

Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:52 am

Quoting rwy04lga (Reply 11):
A lot of former 'Red Tails' were bad-mouthing him prior to the IAM vote. I don't see what their problem was with him. I think he's doing a top-notch job and rue the day he leaves Delta.

He truly is a great leader. Many changes have happened right before my eyes over the past five years. Goals that I thought were completely impossible, we're hitting on a daily basis. The KPIs for one although many hate them serves a tremendous purpose and is the driving force of our top tier performance.
What gets measured gets done.

airtechy

Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:24 am

I am anxiously awaiting the next quarterly financial report. I have a feeling it will be a good one.

AT

mayor

Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:35 am

Quoting suseJ772 (Reply 6):
I am glad they are riding the wave in the good times, but in the airline industry the good times are never the "GREAT" times and the bad times can be some horrible times.

And this is exactly why DL is doing the things they do......pay down the debt, etc., so when the next downturn comes, as it surely will, they'll be ready for it.

As was said, margins are better (what are they, now?). We used to be told that the company was doing pretty well if the margin was 2-3%.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen