deltal1011man

12 Years Later. 9/11 Thread.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:23 am

It has been 12 years since that terrible day. American 11 would leave BOS in a little under an hour and a half from this post and hit the North Tower at 0846. I wanted to start a thread to remember all 2,996 of those people who lost their lives that day.

Also, to keep it within the civil aviation side, Many airline employees were lost that day. Friends to some, brothers and sisters to airline employees everywhere. They all went above the line of duty that day.

American 11
Captain John Ogonowski, First Officer Thomas McGuinness, and flight attendants Barbara Arestegui, Jeffrey Collman, Sara Low, Karen Martin, Kathleen Nicosia, Betty Ong, Jean Roger, Dianne Snyder, and Amy Sweeney.

United 175
Captain Victor Saracini, First Officer Michael Horrocks, and flight attendants Robert Fangman, Amy Jarret, Amy King, Kathryn Laborie, Alfred Marchand, Michael Tarrou, and Alicia Titus

American 77
Captain Charles Burlingame III, First Officer David Charlebois, and flight attendants Michele Heidenberger, Jennifer Lewis, Kenneth Lewis, and Renee May.

United 93
Captain Jason Dahl, First Officer LeRoy Homer, Jr., and flight attendants Lorraine Bay, Sandra Bradshaw, Wanda Green, CeeCee Lyles and Deborah Welsh

Also I believe these flights had employees non-reving, if someone could post those names in remembrances also. (I cant seem to find them.)
New airliners.net web site sucks.

EK413

RE: 12 Years Later. 9/11 Thread.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:52 am

Rest in Peace

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3765/9721600222_6a11420085_h.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7329/9721075048_f24fdc7a36_h.jpg

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2823/9717172271_59b32fd818_h.jpg

EK8413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

777Boeing777

Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:57 am

Tributes can be seen all over here in the DC area. I drove into work this morning, and normally pass by seven flag poles flying the American flag and the flags of the services and agencies represented here. This morning there were 6 bare flag poles, with the center flag pole flying the American flag at half-mast. Talk about a lump in the throat.

I will never forget that day. I was sitting in traffic underneath I-395 on the on-ramp to S. Washington Blvd when N644AA was flown into the western side of the Pentagon.The only time I have ever felt a shock wave worse than that was in Iraq.

[Edited 2013-09-11 05:05:25]

CONTACREW

Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:16 pm

Jesus Sanchez, 45, was an off-duty flight attendant from Hudson, Massachusetts.

My family and I had just visited NYC a couple weeks before 9/11 happened, and the day it happened my dad had the tv on and I had just woke up right as I saw the second plane hit, and I thought to myself "jesus christ what the hell is happening" I just couldn't believe what I was seeing and I think for the next few days or so after this happened, I just kept my eyes glued on the TV watching all the coverage etc.

Also this happened right after my grandpa's 80th birthday and we had a lot of family flying in from all over to celebrate over the weekend and when the time came for everyone to start flying back home, I dropped a few of them off at the airport and I remember everything being so different as opposed to dropping them off no being able to go thru security to see them off, the employees at the counter having a somber mood, extra security etc. It was just an awful day all around.

May all those who were lost on that awful day RIP.
Flight Attendants prepare doors for departure, cross check verify straps standby for all call

holzmann

Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:20 pm

I was 21 at the time, a junior at Georgia Tech. What a chaotic morning. Campus closed by noon. Spent the next several days glued to the TV. And we're all still dealing with the ripple effects from that day.

RIP to all who died and may peace comes to those who lived.

777Boeing777

Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:33 pm

abrown532

Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:56 pm

Does anyone have the link to the original thread way back in 2001? Is it archived?

Braniff747SP

Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:13 pm

Quoting abrown532 (Reply 6):
Airplane Crashed Into The World Trade Center. (by Hustler Sep 11 2001 in Civil Aviation)
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

max999

Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:14 pm

I was in Lower Manhattan that morning, thankfully not at the World Trade Center though. I remember being evacuated north up Broadway...it was such a surreal scene, like being cast in some disaster movie.

Everyone was walking in one direction with no cars in the streets, people desperately trying to make calls on their cell phones with no success, groups huddled around a parked car playing the radio, and long lines at the ATMs and at the phone booths.

Then while I was still in SoHo, the entire crowd suddenly turned around and gasped as we watched the the second tower collapse in front of our eyes.

[Edited 2013-09-11 06:16:40]
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

rj777

Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:26 pm

The 4 aircraft involved- RIP:

AA77

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Javier Rodriguez - Iberian Spotters

AA11

View Large View Medium

Photo © Michael F. McLaughlin

UA175

View Large View Medium

Photo © Carlos Borda

UA93

View Large View Medium

Photo © Felix Sieder

washingtonflyer

Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:27 pm

I was at work here in Downtown DC - three blocks from the White House when it all started. We saw the second one go into the WTC on TV and knew immediately that it was no accident (I had a feeling that the first one was no accident either (especially given how clear of a day it was)).

My secretary then got a phone call from her son who worked at the Pentagon and was told that there was an explosion there. We then heard - mistakenly - that a car bomb had gone off at the State Department.

Not good.

We lost one coworker on AA 77 - a fried of mine. We would have lost three others, but they went bar hopping the previous night and wound up being too hung over to make the early morning departure to LAX. The one coworker opted not to go out.

Surreal.

BoeingMerica

Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:47 pm

Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 7):

Quoting abrown532 (Reply 6):
Airplane Crashed Into The World Trade Center. (by Hustler Sep 11 2001 in Civil Aviation)

Thread is not working for me, after about 10 of the 400 responses the page just ends, but if you collapse the responses you can see all the responses. Weird.

But I am totally okay with it, as the first ten make me sick to my stomach. Just responses of sheer shock like "HOLY SHIT, TURN ON CNN!!!".......it is disgusting.   

As someone who loves to fly, and is not afraid in a post 9/11 era because I know passengers could handle a potential repeat of this, I would be totally freaked out to fly on the anniversary. I just could not get my self to set foot on a plane.   

R.I.P. all involved, and continued peace for those who were directly affected by the attacks.

A day like today makes me totally okay with all the "privacy intrusion" stories we hear the other 364 days going on in airports. Much rather the TSA get a picture of me "naked" then have this happen again to anyone.

Days like today make me so proud and thankful I am an American, wouldn't trade it for the world.

BoeingMerica
I like my Barack like I like my vegetables, I hate vegetables

reffado

Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:07 pm

I was only six at the time, and was at school (American School) in Chile. Class was stopped and they made all of the students go to the gym, where CNN was on in a big screen. We, the younger ones, didn't really understand what was going on, but by the time the second plane hit, even we could feel the horror. Nobody spoke, nobody cried, we just watched. 600 children, teens and adults, aged 4 to 70, in the same room, completely still and silent, just seeing that horrid image. It still gives me the creeps. May all the victims rest in peace. And I wish peace for all of those who lost someone that day. I just hope and pray that an incident like that is never repeated.

flymia

Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:11 pm

I remember that day well and I was only 12 at the time. I remember the class I was in, I remember the class/teacher who first showed us the news coverage. It is crazy to this that is has been 12 years because at the time I had only been 12 years old. So the time that has past since 9/11 is the same amount of time I was alive. It doesn't seem like it. I feel like it.

I also remember the last two times I saw the WTC. In November of 2000 on a thanksgiving family trip to NYC we went downtown to take a tour of the NYSE only to find it closed. We decided to go to the WTC instead. Then in August of 2001 on a road trip we passed NYC and I saw the WTC. I even still have the picture I took of it. Crazy to think that picture would not be possible 2 months later. I was then in NYC in November of 2001. Passing by ground zero is something I will never forget. I remember the intense security at MIA and JFK too.

I remember coming home and turning on my VCR to record the news coverage because back in 2001 who would have thought something like youtube could come up. I still have the special edition of the Miami Herald and I still have a print out from the MIA website showing all the flights cancelled. It is crazy how well you remember days like that, I guess it is because every year you re-live it.

People in my age group 22-25 are really the youngest people now who remember the pre 9/11 world well but at the same time have grown up in the post 9/11 world. In my aviation law class the professor was speaking how he starts the class every year now speaking about 9/11 since it is such a large subject in aviation law. Every year the stories become younger and younger. In a few years the majority of the students would have been in elementary school. I am just glad that I got to see the pre 9/11 world because when you think of it, it really has changed a lot in our lives. Especially in the aviation industry.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

Braniff747SP

Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:28 pm

I remember the day well. I was only five, but it is an event that I will forever remember; indeed, it is one of my earliest clear memories.
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

zrs70

Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:33 pm

I was a 31 year old associate rabbi at the time. I remember the young girl who became a Bat Mitzvah the following Shabbat. The courage and poise she had to lead the congregation under such circumstances was inspiring.

May the memories of those died, and the loss our entire nation endured - always guide us toward bringing goodness into the world.
17 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2016

macsog6

Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:43 pm

Today is the first 9/11 anniversary that I have not deliberately been on a commercial aircraft. I made it a point to fly on a scheduled US carrier every 9/11 commencing in 2002. Alas, duty called and I am on the ground today but I can assure you that emotionally I am up in the clouds where I belong.

I was in Australia on 9-11-01 (the attack occurred late in the night there) and recall with vivid intensity what 9-12-01 looked like in Sydney. I never knew there were so many American flags in Australia.

Fly on...and touch the hand of God.
Sixty Plus Years of Flying! "I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Saint Ex

baileyncreme

Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:56 pm

I was working a Portland International Airport (PDX) for ASIG (Aircraft Services Intl Group) as a Jet-A fueler
that morning on the overnight shift.

I had just completed fueling up a FedEx MD-10 and a fellow fueler reported on our radio sets that the 1st
plane had crashed. I was then driving out Dart 10,000 gallon tanker truck over to the reload rack when I saw
a Delta 727 holding short of the runway. We had Portland tower frequencies tuned in and they ordered
that flight and others back to their gates.

Within a short time, two Oregon Air Guard F-15's came up the taxi way and immediately took off for the skies.
I remember standing there crying my eyes out saluting them as those pilots passed me by for the end
of the runway. They both saluted me back.

God bless the men and women of the Oregon Air Guard on that day.

[Edited 2013-09-11 09:57:16]

cjg225

Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:07 pm

It was either the second or third week of my freshman year in high school. I heard about the attacks in the hallway on the way from my first class to my second class. I had thought I heard someone say that someone bombed the WTC, but I wasn't entirely sure, since I had to really rush to get between those two classes on time. I walked into my second class in time to see the second plane crash into the WTC. We watched coverage for a bit but the teacher turned it off and made us do work. He turned it off because I hit another student, who was making fun of images of people jumping off the WTC to their deaths. In my third class, we didn't really do anything. The teacher turned off the lights, put the TV on low, and gave us some busywork that wasn't really important.

Every year on September 11th for the rest of high school, I'd print out photos of each of the planes from A.net's picture database along with a photo of the American flag hanging on a piece of rubble at the WTC and tape them to my locker along with some quotes from that day.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

SXDFC

Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:09 pm

God Bless those who passed away 12 years ago today, as well as those who died after 9/11 ( the many first responders ).

I am curious however as to if there are any stories from the folks who worked those flights ( Ramp Agents, Gate Agents,etc ).. Would most certainly make for an interesting read.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

boeingguy26

Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:10 pm

I walk into my Associated Student Body professor's class and see smoke billowing out from two tall towers. To that day, I did not know what the World Trade Center was. By the time I saw (0800 PST) it was already concluded that it was a terrorist attack and didn't go through the emotional questioning of "What exactly is happening here?". But since then, every year I watch many documentaries of the day and have even read the book called "Let's Roll", written by the wife of Todd Beamer, which was one of the passengers on UA93 that fought back to take control of the plane which unfortunately crashed into the ground. However, their heroic efforts may (most likely) saved hundreds if not thousands of lives. My prayers out to those who perished and to those who lost a loved one from that day. God bless them and you all, and may He protect the skies!

Stackhouse007

Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:12 pm

It is a very strange feeling reading through the thread from that day.. I was in 5th grade when that happened and didn't really understand it all. Now I am 21 and have my private pilot's license, working on my instrument, and hope to be flying the rest of my life. Rest in peace to everyone involved that day and thank you to those who serve this country. Never forget.
Nikon D60: 18-55mm - 55-200mm / Canon 50D: 100-400mm

robsaw

Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:20 pm

As I reflect on it, it still seems that it was a surreal experience watching the events unfold that morning and later as I drove into work seeing all the unusual aircraft coming into YVR due to the closure of US airspace. Finally made it to NYC this July and visited the 9/11 memorial and tribute center. Makes one think about the irrational hate that is still circulating in the world today.

757gb

Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:40 pm

Quoting BoeingMerica (Reply 11):
But I am totally okay with it, as the first ten make me sick to my stomach. Just responses of sheer shock like "HOLY SHIT, TURN ON CNN!!!".......it is disgusting.  

I totally agree... I've read it before, and yet it is still sickening to reading it today.
God is The Alpha and The Omega. We come from God. We go towards God. What an Amazing Journey...

nssd70

Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:58 pm

I remember driving and hearing the first reports when the first plane hit. My son's Sunday School teacher's cousin was Captain Jason Dahl on Flight 93.
Doug

SXDFC

Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:18 pm

Quoting SXDFC (Reply 19):

It looks like I was able to find something that talked about the AA guys who worked AA 11 out of BOS that day.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...iced_casualties_of_sept_11/?page=1
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

winstonlegthigh

Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:49 pm

Remember is a word that gets thrown around with regularity on this day for the past 12 years, but we've been forced to "remember" every day since. Lament is probably the more accurate word.

[Edited 2013-09-11 11:53:31]
Never has gravity been so uplifting.

TWA1985

Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:56 pm

It's the 12th anniversary of one one of the darkest days in American History. I wrote this to commemorate that tragic day ...

This is for the flight attendant who bravely tended to her passengers before their plane slammed into the World Trade Center ~ For the wife who stopped on the stairs and called her husband to say, "I will love you forever," before the building collapsed around her. ~ For the mothers and fathers who kissed their children goodbye, not knowing those kisses would be their last ~ For the husband who told his pregnant wife, "please raise our future son so he never forgets his daddy," before his plane crashed into a field in Pennsylvania ~ For the policemen and firemen who rushed in to save the lives of strangers, only to die themselves ~ For the soldiers who fought back for our country, and lost their lives. Today, tomorrow and forever ... WE WILL REMEMBER!
Live Young. Live Wild. Live Free.

readytotaxi

Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:11 pm

I remeber in the UK us getting the breaking news in the afternoon, jaw dropping coverage. The film crew who were with the New York fire station on the day, the people who took shelter in a corner shop just before the dust encircled them.
So many images of a tragic day. And the humanity that went out to people,total strangers, heart warming.   
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!

soon7x7

Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:17 pm

That morning I was ready to taxi a C-172 to fly up north to photograph a Gulfstream Jet for a customer. I was departing from KISP out on Long Island. Had just gotten my clearances then all hell broke loose. A ramper jumped in front of my now running aircraft and gave me the signal to cut...I was to fly just north of NYC under class Bravo Airspace @ 1400 ft & below. This would have me North of KLGA. This would have been a terrible event to witness from inside a bug smasher from my perspective, while airborne. Another one of our fleet planes had just departed Brookhaven, a non towered field and was flanked by an F-16 & forced to land. Much adrenaline that morning. Years back I watched those towers being built over a long period of time while working in NYC. In seconds they fell. In seconds the world was a different and more dangerous place. This was an event locally that picture nor words can best describe it.
WTC, New York,...

kcm572

Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:29 pm

I remember that day as if it were yesterday. We were heading out to the coffee truck at work when one of my co-workers said a plane hit the World Trade Center. My first though was a small Cesena or something, never a commercial airliner. We do not have TV's where I work so at lunch I drove to a friends house to watch the news. The most vivid memory of that day was while I was driving there, 2 fully armed F16's flew about 1000 feet above me heading toward DTW. We see several fighters in this area from Selfridge ANGB but never that low and never fully armed.

washingtonflyer

Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:30 pm

NYC certainly took it very hard - and has fought hard to bounce back (which it has done).

In DC, they say that everybody knows somebody who knows somebody who perished on 9/11. I think in New York, its more that everybody knows somebody who perished on 9/11.

Luxair

Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:32 pm

R.I.P. to all the victims of 9/11 I will never ever forget that terrible day. Wish all the best to our Amercain friends, God bless you!

TwoSixLeft

Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:47 pm

I was nine and had just come back into my classroom from morning recess. It must have been about ten o'clock, and the teachers gathered everyone in the fourth, fifth, and sixth grades together to tell us what had happened. We were informed about the Pentagon first, unlike most people I've encountered, and only found out about the World Trade Center after a teacher managed to locate a radio. I recall that two of my classmates were terrified, as their mother was at the Sears Tower that day for a business meeting, and they feared this would be the next building attacked. Previously, our lives had unfolded with calm regularity and routine, and not knowing, for the first time, what would come next was horrifying.

The other vivid memory is Peter Jennings on the news that night. His demeanor was somber but oddly comforting; he called attention to the horror of early that day, and yet he managed to be a reassuring, serene presence in the midst of the storm. He was a credit to journalism in the face of sensationalism.

May those who died senselessly and those who died bravely in the line of duty rest in peace, and God be with them and their families now and always.

[Edited 2013-09-11 12:48:24]
NX37602. "Well, the airplane seems to be fairly successful."

Robbie86

Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:51 pm

Twelve years later and we as passengers still allow ourselves to be put through more and more integrity violating treatment all in the name of "the war on terrorism". It's time we start to say enough.

rwy04lga

Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:17 pm

Quoting EK413 (Reply 1):
EK8413

The beams of light in those 2 pics are much too far away from the new tower to represent the true locations of WTC towers 1 and 2.

On Sunday 9/9/2001, I had taken three friends (2 of them Muslims) on a flight down the Hudson in my Archer. Little did I know that would be the last time I would see the towers.

I lost 3 other friends 2 days later in WTC 1.   
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

BoeingMerica

Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:28 pm

Quoting baileyncreme (Reply 17):
Within a short time, two Oregon Air Guard F-15's came up the taxi way and immediately took off for the skies.
I remember standing there crying my eyes out saluting them as those pilots passed me by for the end
of the runway. They both saluted me back.

Wow man, deep stuff. Pretty touching 3 sentence story. Thanks for sharing.

BoeingMERICA

[Edited 2013-09-11 13:30:04]
I like my Barack like I like my vegetables, I hate vegetables

ECGGS

Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:42 pm

On September 11, 2001 I was a passenger on Delta flight 61 from London Gatwick to Boston. I remember I was distractedly looking out the window as we cruised over the atlantic when I noticed we made a big turn. Having made the transatlantic journey many times, I realized something was different and assumed we were diverting for technical reasons. When the captain came on a little while later he announced that we were turning around and heading to Shannon Ireland but didn't really get into details other than to make clear that there was nothing wrong with the aircraft. Perhaps 20 minutes later the Captain spoke to us again to tell us that there had been terrorist attacks in the US and that the "border was closed". At this point, we (the passengers) were all looking around at each other bewildered but most of us I think assuming it was a much smaller scale event on the order of a car bomb at the airport or something like that. The captain came on a 3rd time and this time he informed us that aircraft had struck the towers in Manhattan as well as the Pentagon. He indicated that the seat belt sign would remain on for the remainder of the flight and we were not to get out of our seats for any reason. The mood on board changed sharply. People were frightened, a few cried.

We had satellite phones installed in each group on of seats. Usually I would not be tempted to use one as they cost (back then at least) something like $12 or $15 per minute. But I figured that if circumstances ever warranted the expense of a sat call, this was it. Indeed many people were trying to make calls but virtually no calls were getting through as the US phone system (we would later learn) was completely overloaded. I ended up getting a call through to my family in Spain (where I had been visiting). I ended up talking for a solid 45 minutes and sharing the details with those around me. I should point out that I was never billed for what surely would have been a $400 - $500 call -- no charge every appeared on my credit card. To this day I'm not aware of who generously picked up this bill: Delta Airlines? Or perhaps the Satellite phone company decided not to bill that day because of what was happening? Either way, I am very grateful.

I should also point out that I think Delta and Servisair did a spectacular job taking care of us. By the time we landed in Shannon, Delta had already arranged bus transportation for us to hotels some 2 hours away. Shannon is not a very large town and there were quite a few aircraft diversions -- there was no hotel availability in the nearby vicinity thus the bus ride. Delta even paid for the first night in the hotel as well as long distance phone calls made from the room (leading me to think maybe they funded the Sat call as well). I don't believe they were under any obligation to do these things as the situation was obviously completely outside of their control. I'm not loyal to many brands but ever since that day, if I'm going somewhere and Delta is an option, I fly Delta. At a moment when I was feeling pretty helpless and sentimental, Delta took care of me -- I won't soon forget that.

757gb

Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:53 pm

Quoting winstonlegthigh (Reply 26):
Remember is a word that gets thrown around with regularity on this day for the past 12 years, but we've been forced to "remember" every day since. Lament is probably the more accurate word.

I see your point and agree. I do however have to say that the word Remember becomes important in the face of hypocrisy. What I mean by that is that every once in a while we need to remember this purely for what it was, a horrible tragedy and a heinous crime. I get so frustrated when idiots disrespect it by mixing it with debates about war, anti or pro US and what not.

It really bothers me that people could actually justify it in some cases because of ideology or hatred of the United States. Regardless of country this was the murder of nearly 3,000 innocent lives.

You can agree or not with the response, you might even hate the US if you want, but the pure evil of what happened 12 years ago is unquestionable. It goes beyond countries or ideologies. So that's why I remember it, post it and honor the victims in social media and will not allow anyone to even try to spin it in any way in those posts.
God is The Alpha and The Omega. We come from God. We go towards God. What an Amazing Journey...

cjg225

Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:00 pm

Quoting ECGGS (Reply 37):

Thanks for posting that story, ECGGS. Lost in a lot of the 9/11 Remembrance is what was done for those affected in other ways, such as you. Companies, towns, and individual everyday people made huge efforts to manage the crisis and assist those affected. I remember seeing some time ago a piece done by an American news agency on this small Canadian town up in Nova Scotia, I think, that handled something like 20 airliners full of people when their flights landed there shortly after the FAA closed US airspace.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

GUYAIR707

Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:45 pm

It was not an easy day. As I arrived for class, everyone was watching it unfurl on TV. I went to class and the professor tried to continue teaching, then someone said the tower collapsed, and everyone walked out, as she said class was cancelled. We all met in the auditorium, and all those living in Queens agreed to house those that could not get back to Manhattan. We were all in shock, and many there cried.

The thing I remember was that we were very unsure of what would happen next. Would there be another attack, a bigger one, were we safe? It was unprecedented to say the least. We could see the towers smoldering in the distance, before and after they collapsed. It was surreal.

RIP

GUYAIR707

willzzz88

Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:50 pm

I was in high school in a class when the teacher told us seating closely to him that the Pentagon was struck and later planes struck the twin towers via a email. Later we all moved into a gym and were told of the news and I believe eventually had the rest of the classes of the day cancelled.

May God Bless America. RIP Victims.

Viscount724

Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:00 pm

Some of the approximately 240 aircraft diverted to at least 17 airports in Canada on 9/11. First photo at Halifax (47 flights) and second at Gander (38 flights). They handled the most diversions, followed by Vancouver with 34 and St. John's with 21.

steeler83

Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:08 pm

Senior in high school here, AND I had turned 18 that June.

At 8:46 I was in my trig class (thought didn't even cross my mind at the time). The following class was my social sciences class which was held in a classroom with cable TV. CNN was on and it showed the buildings burning. At first I thought it was some kind of remembrance thing for the 1993 bombing (I forgot at the time exactly when that occurred.) Then they showed the second plane hitting the World Trade Center, and at that time I knew what was happening.

We were supposed to head to the school library to start our SR class projects. Upon arrival at the library, the librarian came to the door and said, "this is an awful day, they just hit the Pentagon!" Some time later, I remember seeing what appeared to be one of the buildings collapsing, and that horrific thought was confirmed later on. I didn't get to see any footage of the North Tower collapse. That happened while I was in jazz ensemble which took place in a room with no TV. The rest of the day we heard rumors of other hijackings (planes bound for Dallas, Denver, Chicago, etc). The only rumor that proved true was the one of a hijacked plane somewhere in the area (Pittsburgh).

That truly was a horrific day. My mom worked at Marsh & McClennon at the time, and I wonder if she still has the name Bob Kennedy in her database somewhere (maybe not since as of 2007 she's no longer with the company). In any event, Bob was one of the employees of Marsh who was lost that day. Marsh, which has its global HQ in Midtown, had its financial services department in the North Tower. Much of the offices were right in the impact zone, and that's where his office was...

Rest in peace, Mr. Kennedy, and rest in peace to those who lost their lives that day. Thank you for making our country great!

You want to hear something else kinda scary? The day before, we had a guidance councilor talk to us about the importance of signing up for the selective service upon turning 18.   
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

CAMPBELL

Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:09 pm

I was 35yrs old and a SSGT in the USAF at Charleston AFB working at the Current Operations Office. We had a small TV in the office and I kept looking at the hole that was left by Flight 11. I went to stand up the Group Control Center and we watched the Today show and got the news about the Pentagon and Flight 93. I kept the Wing Flying schedule for that day for many years, needless to say, all the C-17 local training missions were cancelled and Charleston got many aircraft after the airspace was shut down. We had a Air Jamaica Airbus on the ramp among all the aircraft. I kept my September 2001 Pocket OAG and noticed this morning that United did not have a morning departure from Boston to Los Angeles in their current schedule.

9lflyguy

Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:30 pm

I was in 6th grade in school in Glen Rise, Arkansas. My mother had just been hired at WN as a flight attendant. I remember worrying so much at first when they didn't know what airlines or type of planes they were. When my father finally recieved the call that my mom was okay, I remember feeling such a sense of relief.

As a flight attendant myself now, my heart goes out to everyone lost that day but especially the flight crews and their families. May they never be forgotten, have forever blue skies and a strong tailwind.

I take great pride in my country. We do not have to agree with the mission but we should also thank all the men and women who our fighting in our armed forces.
319 320 321 722 732 733 734 735 737 738 739 752 753 763 772 CR2 CR7 CR9 DHA D8B D8C D95 145 170 175 190 M82 M88 M90 S340

usctrojan18

Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:53 pm

Had UA 93 been successful and had been aiming at the Capitol Building, my uncle might not be alive. He was at the capital building when he said he heard an explosion and saw smoke rising from the other side of the Potomac. He said he was just standing there staring and didn't leave the Capitol Building until about 10:30. That is right around when UA 93 would've hit. I really love the passengers who fought back and I have never met any of them, but they are a reason why my uncle is alive today.

"Are you guys ready? Okay, let's roll." RIP Todd Beamer, RIP pax of UA 93 and RIP all who lost their lives on 9/11

TwoSixLeft

Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:55 pm

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 42):

The way the people of Gander opened up their homes to the stranded pax from the flights in that photo was that day's desperately needed reminder that the world was not entirely evil.
NX37602. "Well, the airplane seems to be fairly successful."

skycub

Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:02 pm

You know... for those of us that are old enough to remember it....and for those of us that are old enough to actually have worked for an airline that day...

We really don't want to talk about it.

We just don't.

I don't expect the people on here who were barely born or who were just teenagers to understand... but for those us of who were in the business that day... it's a hard thing.

I know for a lot of people on here, it may just be a day of commercial aviation infamy....

But for those of us that worked for one of those carriers... for those of us who know exactly what those flight attendants were seeing in their last few moments... for those of us who wore those uniforms.... its a very sad, sad day and, I think I speak on behalf of all former AA/UA crew members... our feelings about that day are not something that we want to post online.
My opinions are my own. They are not representative of my employer, my union or my co-workers. They are all mine.

BWI5OH

Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:02 pm

On 09/11/2001, I had been "officially" married for 10 days. That was my first day back to work as a Highway Patrolman after our honeymoon. I remember that day as clear as the sky was that morning. I pulled over an 18 wheeler for speeding, and before I could get anything out of my mouth, I remember the driver saying the World Trade Center just had a plane crash into it. I remember him saying how strange it was, because he was on the phone with his wife in NY and she told him the sky was crystal clear. While him and I talked for the next 45 minutes listening to his radio, we heard the news that a second plane hit the other tower. I knew that something wasn't right, and knew my day just became one of the worst in my career. Through all of the rumors going around about missing planes, alleged other hijackings and targets, I worked a total of 23 hours that day. From that day forward for almost 3 months, I never received one day off, nor did I ask for one. I don't think any Trooper griped about it either...we were proud to do our part.

Needless to say, I think of that day EVERYDAY. I'll never forget, and I'll always think of those innocent lives taken for no other reason than hatred.
"It's all fun and games until the cops show up"