kaitak
Topic Author

Irish 11/13: Flightfest Follow-up

Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:38 am

Good morning folks and welcome to our 11th thread of 2013.

Here's the link to 10/13, in case anyone wants to refer back: Irish 10/13: Up There Where The Air Is Clear ... (by kaitak Aug 14 2013 in Civil Aviation)

So, we've had Flightfest - and what a terrific occasion it was; congratulations to all involved. The weather looked like it might spoil things, but thankfully everything came together and a good time was had by all ... 150,000, it was said on the news. Not bad at all. Clearly, they kept the best for last, because the A380 was the most sought after participant.

It just goes to show ... a little imagination goes a long way!

We've had some interesting developments over the last month; of course, the reverberations from the UK Competition Authority's decision on FR/EI continue and no doubt, we'll still be hearing that for some time to come, if not this time next year. Here's a few other developments from the last month (not a complete list!):

- Aer Lingus launching SNN-ACE
- Aer Arann takes delivery of more ATR72s - now four -600s in the fleet.
- Aer Lingus commits to flatbeds in J from 2015
- Aer Lingus confirmed to be in talks with other carriers.
(I don't know how anyone could possibly think this thread is an "Aer Lingus fan club ...  )
- Traffic at DUB up 6% on last year; t/a doing particularly well
- Air Lithuanica to start service to DUB this Winter
- Norwegian's second 787 in Dublin for painting prior to (slightly abortive) service entry

Well, that's about it for now; have fun, enjoy and here's to some exciting developments over the coming weeks ...

OA260

RE: Irish 11/13: Flightfest Follow-up

Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:02 am

Quoting kaitak (Thread starter):

So, we've had Flightfest - and what a terrific occasion it was; congratulations to all involved.

Thanks for a new thread.

Was a great show and still loads of pictures going around the net. Some very good ones from people on their balconies in the apartments along the Quays. 130,000 people have to make this the best attraction for the whole year and more importantly free for everyone. For those that followed the coverage in Aertv ( once they got the technical issues sorted out) it was a decent feed. A few mistakes on descriptions but not bad. Lots of people have questioned as to why RTE did not cover it which is indeed a valid question. Maybe they cant afford to these days !

Aer Lingus have just released a seat sale USA EUR219 each way incl taxes.

AmricanShamrok

Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:57 am

I flew home to KIR last night on the RE3208 but was delayed 30 minutes. The captain mentioned that it was due to knock-on delays from Flightfest. Aircraft was EI-CPT. What would have caused these delays? ATC restrictions?

shamrock350

Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:10 am

Here's a great video from Flightfest, in slow motion and high definition!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM0oieDnJNg&feature=youtu.be

Some really stunning views, my favourite being the long distance shot of A330 over the hills and the Etihad behind Poolbeg.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 1):

Aer Lingus have gone from squirrels to monsters for their sale advertising!

Much more eye catching than the stuff they used a few years ago!

Quoting AmricanShamrok (Reply 2):
What would have caused these delays? ATC restrictions?

ATC restrictions were in place I think, saw a few tweets about delays caused by Flightfest.

dstc47

Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:38 am

In the last thread I said

" B 17 and Catalina passed close by my house in close proximity a few minutes ago, presumably returning home. I reckon it will be a long time before that happens again."

How wrong can you be!
Both passed close again today, but with about an hour between them in timing.
Where did they overnight, BAL or Weston?

BrianDromey

Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:52 am

I am curious about the Norwegian 787s. They are on the EI register, but crews are hired from Thiland. The operator is Norwegian (by nationality) which is not an EU member, does the long haul branch of Norwegian hold an Irish certificate or can a Norwegian airline register its aircraft on the EU register? Who oversees the regulation of these aircraft? The Norwegians or Ireland?
Next flights: MAN-ORK-LHR(EI)-MAN(BD); MAN-LHR(BD)-ORK (EI); DUB-ZRH-LAX (LX) LAX-YYZ (AC) YYZ-YHZ-LHR(AC)-DUB(BD)

dstc47

Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:16 pm

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 5):
Who oversees the regulation of these aircraft? The Norwegians or Ireland?

Irish registered aircraft, wherever based, are supposed to be Irish regulated for air safety purposes.

Norway is in the EEA, although not the EU, which creates certain entitlements and obligations in many areas including in aviation too complex to set out but findable on the web. In general, these apply the same EU rules to Norway, without giving them any role in deciding them initially. (This inconvenient truth is usually forgotten by those who suggest a Norway style arrangement for the UK, as compared to full EU membership)

kaitak
Topic Author

Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:07 pm

Just been listening to Joe Duffy and there has been a lot of people complaining about the time between aircraft and there being insufficient entertainment during these delays; of course, the cold didn't help, but there were certainly a lot of people getting bored and leaving, particularly those with young children.

Quoting dstc47 (Reply 6):
Who oversees the regulation of these aircraft? The Norwegians or Ireland?

Irish registered aircraft, wherever based, are supposed to be Irish regulated for air safety purposes.

There was some discussion some time ago about the Norwegians basing aircraft in Ireland, but I think that was just someone putting two and two together and getting five, with a dash of wishful thinking too; I think Norwegian's plan is really just to hire cheaper cabin crew.

dstc47

Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:40 pm

I am curious about the Norwegian 787s

Norwegian

According to the ever excellent Irish Air Letter, which just rolled in and is now in an entirely new format, Norwegian already have a temporary Irish AOC and an application for a permanent Irish AOC is being processed.

Many thanks to the IAL team for their ongoing efforts and magazine redesign.
Unlike some we might mention, banks and airlines included, a reworked "service improvement" is actually what it says.

iRISH251

Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:09 pm

Quoting kaitak (Reply 7):
Just been listening to Joe Duffy and there has been a lot of people complaining about the time between aircraft and there being insufficient entertainment during these delays; of course, the cold didn't help, but there were certainly a lot of people getting bored and leaving, particularly those with young children.

People were moving around during the event and by its nature it was not going to hold the attention in the same way as a more conventional airshow. The riverside setting meant also that people could not necessarily see the aircraft from a distance as they lined up, so there was a bit of waiting as they positioned between runs. However safety undoubtedly demanded that separation between aircraft was preserved and that displays were at a height a bit above what might have suited the smaller machines. Remember too that these were not for the most part display pilots - also that some items had to be dropped from the lineup for operational reasons.

The radio programme you mention maybe draws some of its callers from those with an axe to grind and time on ther hands. Having attended, I thought that it was a good and novel show (free of charge too), with enough content to impress the casual onlooker as well as the enthusiast. I think a lot of credit is due to those who organised it and ensured that it went off largely as planned. The city was certainly buzzing and I heard several people around the town talking about the show in posisitive terms today.

ClassicLover

Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:25 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 1):

They have also increased the Business Class fares - €899 to JFK, then €999 to BOS, €1099 to MCO and ORD and I won't even mention the scandalous amount to SFO. They obviously think the market can handle it.
I do quite enjoy a spot of flying - more so when it's not in Economy!

Eagleboy

Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:35 am

Quoting AmricanShamrok (Reply 2):
The captain mentioned that it was due to knock-on delays from Flightfest. Aircraft was EI-CPT. What would have caused these delays? ATC restrictions?
Quoting shamrock350 (Reply 3):

ATC restrictions were in place I think, saw a few tweets about delays caused by Flightfest.

The only restrictions in place were closed airspace around Dublin itself. With only 7 departures from DUB specifically for FlightFest it was not supposed to have much of an effect on DUB ops.

Quoting kaitak (Reply 7):
Just been listening to Joe Duffy and there has been a lot of people complaining about the time between aircraft and there being insufficient entertainment during these delays;

As above, axe to grind people talk to Joe. However I did expect a bit more in terms of entertainment/stalls/food outlets. I was thinking along the lines of the Tall Ships festival....now perhaps it was the time of year. I was on the SOuth Quays...I assume the North were the same?

As for the interval.....the most was maybe 10 minutes....hardly a lifetime. And they did have some no-shows due to the high winds, if all had attended it was planned for an aircraft every 5 mins.

OA260

Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:09 am

Dublin loses to Stansted as Ryanair seals deal in expansion plan

DUBLIN has lost out to Stansted as Ryanair has selected the London hub for a surge in passenger growth.

The airline said it had secured a 10-year deal at Stansted to double the amount of its passengers travelling through the airport in return for lower costs and more efficient facilities.

The agreement will account for up to 25pc of Ryanair's five-year growth plans to 2019.

The airline's chief executive, Michael O'Leary, said the deal would see more than 7,000 new jobs created at Stansted over a five-year period.

http://www.independent.ie/business/i...al-in-expansion-plan-29584434.html

---

Belfast hopes rise with Bombardier’s new jet

Bombardier’s new C-Series jet took to the skies yesterday on its maiden flight – bringing hope to its Belfast workforce about that the future
A loud cheer went up from a factory floor in east Belfast as the new CS100 aircraft, with wings designed and produced in the North, took off from Montréal-Mirabel International Airport for the first time.
Bombardier transmitted a live webcast of the first C-Series flight to screens throughout its facility in Belfast to share the “excitement” of the day with some of the team who had helped make it possible.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/s...ith-bombardier-s-new-jet-1.1529951

Quoting ClassicLover (Reply 10):
They have also increased the Business Class fares - €899 to JFK, then €999 to BOS, €1099 to MCO and ORD and I won't even mention the scandalous amount to SFO. They obviously think the market can handle it.

Well EUR899 for J Class is pretty cheap compared to others. I think for what you get the fare is still good value for money.

dstc47

Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:14 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 12):
The airline said it had secured a 10-year deal at Stansted to double the amount of its passengers travelling through the airport in return for lower costs and more efficient facilities.

Mmm STN is fairly stretched at present so that will be interesting.

shamrock604

Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:17 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 12):
Dublin loses to Stansted as Ryanair seals deal in expansion plan

Typical of the Indo to pitch it as an "either / or" situation.

As they go on to mention, this accounts for just a part of FR's projected growth - ie, Ryanair has additional growth opportunities, which could go to anywhere.

Unless FR can prove DUB and STN were pitched together, the indo spin is nonsense. If FR want to grow in Dublin - they will. Everyone else is, and if they want left behind, as they indeed were when EI became the "low fares, way better" carrier, and stole the march from FR by opening a slew of new european routes, then so be it.

dstc47

Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:30 am

Galway Airport

A city commuter park-and-ride service at Galway Airport has been scrapped after four months.
The park-and-ride facility was attracting fewer than 100 commuters a day.

EIDL

Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:34 pm

Quoting Eagleboy (Reply 11):
However I did expect a bit more in terms of entertainment/stalls/food outlets. I was thinking along the lines of the Tall Ships festival....now perhaps it was the time of year. I was on the SOuth Quays...I assume the North were the same?

There was a run of about 6 food stalls along the canal at the Beckett bridge on the northside, as well as toilets.

BrianDromey

Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:15 pm

Quoting dstc47 (Reply 13):

I believe STN is far down from peak a few years back, FR and EZY have reduced capacity quite a bit?
Next flights: MAN-ORK-LHR(EI)-MAN(BD); MAN-LHR(BD)-ORK (EI); DUB-ZRH-LAX (LX) LAX-YYZ (AC) YYZ-YHZ-LHR(AC)-DUB(BD)

greenjet

Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:01 am

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 17):
I believe STN is far down from peak a few years back, FR and EZY have reduced capacity quite a bit?

Yes - according to the CAA, STN has declined each year from its peak of 23,759,000 terminal pax in 2007 to 17,465,000 in 2012.

OA260

Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:31 am

Rumours of some changes at FR !

Ryanair aims to become more user-friendly with a simpler website and co-operation with travel agents, in a cultural revolution for the airline that pioneered low-cost travel with minimal customer service.
The airline plans to announce a website revamp at its AGM in Dublin on Friday, chief executive Michael O’Leary said.

The company may also add a handful of longer-distance routes including Israel and is open to co-operation with long-haul carriers, he said.

He made his comments at the World Low Cost Airlines Congress yesterday at London Heathrow Airport.
Michael O’Leary said he is also prepared to sell tickets via travel agents rather than solely through Ryanair’s own mechanisms, targeting one area where rival EasyJet has made the running by linking with corporate buyers to add business fliers.

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2013/0918/474932-ryanair-aims/

shamrock350

Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:38 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 19):
Rumours of some changes at FR !

They've just started advertising on the television again, it's probably a reaction to the poor summer but still evidence of the need to change their approach slightly.

Interesting to see a new website, the current one is such a mess that it's a miracle they manage to be as successful as they are with it!

VFRonTop

Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:23 am

Quoting shamrock350 (Reply 20):
Interesting to see a new website, the current one is such a mess that it's a miracle they manage to be as successful as they are with it!

The current website is one of the most aggravating experiences I have had with an airline, so unfriendly to use both booking and checking in. Happy to hear they are considering changes. Also happy to hear FR understand the need for change, there is plenty of potential in the airline and I'll be watching their development with a keen eye.

MOL seems to have finally let go of his Aer Lingus aspirations and looking for long haul capacity in other places (any guesses as to which long haul operator as the need/fortitude to start negotiations with MOL?)

OA260

Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:37 am

Quoting shamrock350 (Reply 20):

Indeed the hassle of just booking is a pain. Too many options selling everything under the sun and then again when you go back in to print off your BP. Its all very time consuming. With Winter approaching and other LCC selling Via the travel trade its in FRs interests to try to get more business. Its worked very well for EI !

BrianDromey

Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:29 pm

He made his comments at the World Low Cost Airlines Congress yesterday at London Heathrow Airport.
Michael O’Leary said he is also prepared to sell tickets via travel agents rather than solely through Ryanair’s own mechanisms, targeting one area where rival EasyJet has made the running by linking with corporate buyers to add business fliers.

Ironic that the world Low Cost Airlines Congress is at LHR. I would have thought an empty pier at STN would have been more appropriate.
I believe FR still use Navitaire Openskies which does offer GDS functionality. Allowing travel agency bookings is probably fairly cheap and easy for FR. A new website is sorely needed, although many 'new' websites are less functional and more difficult to use than before, so we'll see what happens. A mobile optimised site would be good. A free app even better.

kaitak
Topic Author

Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:02 am

I saw a thread running at the moment about a EuroAtlantic 777 operating for EI; is this true and if so, what happened to require this?

eirbus06

Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:56 am

Quoting kaitak (Reply 24):
I saw a thread running at the moment about a EuroAtlantic 777 operating for EI; is this true and if so, what happened to require this?

Arrived at Dublin Airport as "Shamrock 1139" to operate the 139 to Boston later in the evening. Due back from boston this morning (19/09)

Shamrock 1139

JAmie2k9

Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:31 am

There was a fire with the fuel system in BOS the other day and the BOS-DUB had to divert en route for fuel, expect its more a case of trying to recover schedules as fast as possible.

dstc47

Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:36 am

According to RTE, Michael O'Leary said that FR will remove the ''recaptcha'' security feature from its website from November for individual passengers. Doubtless any period of mourning will be very short and poorly attended.

p201055r

Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:59 pm

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2013/0918/474932-ryanair-aims/

also see

http://www.independent.ie/business/i...ng-him-188-to-switch-29592819.html

and

http://www.independent.ie/business/o...-to-soften-its-image-29592888.html

Do tell me this is only a temporary softening in approach, akin to an Autumnal chill and that it'll be back to normal again soon?  Wow!

One might wistfully remark that some of the perceived "macho" image of the airline is a direct consequence of its aggressive marketing and the remarks of its chief executive, all-to-often perceived as smarmy, about passengers' rights, crews, airports and Governments among other things.

BrianDromey

Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:06 pm

Quoting dstc47 (Reply 27):

How is the website going to know if you are an "individual" passenger or not. In any case it really doesn't do much, FR fares are still very visible on skyscanner. Anyway, if FR are so confident on their low fares they should have no problem with price comparison websites.

RandWkop

Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:38 pm

Sorry, I managed to mess up the link in my last post. The Times link does not want to paste.

OA260

Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:21 pm

Second time this year !

Delays after Aer Lingus reservation system fails

AER Lingus passengers endured delays earlier today after the airline's reservations system failed.

"Aer Lingus has confirmed that its reservations system went down today at 1pm for approximately one hour," the airline said in a statement.

"IT worked to resolve the issue.

"During the outage check-in was suspended, while boarding was processed on a manual basis to continue the operation and depart flights that had already been checked in.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news...rvation-system-fails-29596036.html

Pe@rson

Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:37 pm

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 23):
Ironic that the world Low Cost Airlines Congress is at LHR.

I used to work for an international aviation events company. Early on, I asked the managing partner: as this event is mainly attended by LCCs, why is it held in a 5* location? His response was simple: because they expect and want it, and if it were cheap-and-cheerful they wouldn't attend.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

OA260

Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:19 am

Aer Lingus supporting the cause !

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae40/PhilipOA260/eidub3_zps5fc4ba7c.jpg

ThrottleHold

Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:22 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 33):
Aer Lingus supporting the cause

Used as ammo by the Shannon whingers in 3,...2,...1,....

evomutant

Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:44 pm

EI are carpet bombing local radio in Birmingham at the moment, and I assume other areas they serve in the UK.

If you listen for an hour, you hear the EI ad at least 3 or 4 times at the moment.

Whether it works I guess we will see, but nice to see them making a big push.

bx737

Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:13 am

Apparently the proposed sale of Cityjet to Intro Aviation have stalled and Air France has withdrawn the exclusivity from Intro. Could this mean that Cityjet might yet be taken over by Air Contractors?

http://www.ch-aviation.ch/portal/new...-intro-aviation-over-cityjet-stall

Clydenairways

Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:01 am

I see an FR flight from FAO doing circles over ORK at the moment, looks like the dreaded ORK fog strikes again.

OA260

Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:30 am

Positive news from BA on the BHD route.

We'll maintain Belfast to London route, says British Airways chief

INTERNATIONAL Airlines Group chief executive Willie Walsh has reiterated the company's commitment to the Belfast City Airport to London Heathrow route.

Mr Walsh said its airline British Airways has outperformed expectations and stood up to competition from Aer Lingus on the shuttle service since its takeover of BMI last year.

"Belfast is a very important market for us, it's doing very well," he said. "We're facing more competition out of City Airport (George Best Belfast City Airport) now that Aer Lingus have moved in there, but we're delighted to be back in the market in the same way as we're delighted to be back in the Dublin market."

Aer Lingus moved its Belfast base from Belfast International in autumn 2012, going head-to-head with British Airways on the Heathrow route.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/bu...ritish-airways-chief-29603680.html

shamrock321

Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:52 am

Both BHD and DUB are operating very well for BA, they have just trained up quite a few new ticket agents for DUB so they've no p,an to go anywhere!

AmricanShamrok

Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:46 am

Quoting shamrock321 (Reply 39):
Both BHD and DUB are operating very well for BA

When I was at DUB last Sunday I noticed two BA arrivals scheduled within 10 minutes of each other. I spotted both aircraft as A319s. What is the rationale behind this?

OA260

Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:39 am

Quoting AmricanShamrok (Reply 40):
When I was at DUB last Sunday I noticed two BA arrivals scheduled within 10 minutes of each other. I spotted both aircraft as A319s. What is the rationale behind this?

Was it the 828 and 834 ? They do quite well.

AmricanShamrok

Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:18 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 41):

Yes it was. It's great they're doing well but why have two A319s going 15 minutes apart when you could send one A321 or even a 767-300 (though this could be a bit of a long shot)!? Maybe for "slot-warming" reasons...

tonystan

Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:51 pm

I travel on the DUB-LHR a few times a week. I must admit the 828/834 combo is an anomaly. In my experience the first one is almost always full or close to yet the latter is wide open. I'm guessing it is some sort of slot holding. Personally I'd love to see the 767 on the route and don't think its impossible but I would say the most like scenario will be when the flights move following the closure of t1 next year when perhaps an A321 will be put on the route and the slot lost to a B787!
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

kaitak
Topic Author

Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:51 pm

German Wings to serve NOC from CGN next Summer, once a week (Sat).

shamrock604

Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:55 am

Quoting kaitak (Reply 44):

It is to be assumed that's a replacement for the DUS-NOC LH service?

BestWestern

Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:03 am

Is the BA punctuality to Ireland still poor?
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

AmricanShamrok

Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:08 am

Quoting shamrock604 (Reply 45):

I never realised EW was ending DUS-NOC...maybe it would have worked if they routed it to SNN instead   

On a serious note though, 4U are advertising the Cliffs of Moher, the Burren, Aran Islands and Galway city on their website - NOC must have offered them a pretty sweet deal!

[Edited 2013-09-25 02:14:03]

OA260

Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:19 am

Quoting kaitak (Reply 44):
Quoting shamrock604 (Reply 45):
It is to be assumed that's a replacement for the DUS-NOC LH service?

Well DUS and CGN are both not far apart. 40KM so they can still attract the same passengers. NOC is still very popular with the Germans. I presume they can offer more seats at a lower cost.

shamrock321

Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:26 am

BA did have some issues a few months back with numerous cancelations, but I've not heard of anything other than the typical LHR related delays recently.