SJOtoLIR
Topic Author

Central American Aviation Thread. Part 55

Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:32 am

THE CENTRAL AMERICAN AVIATION THREAD
PART LV
"Tribute to Braniff in Central America"

Welcome again to all the posters, readers and followers on this series !
I don’t get information about other Central American destination besides Panama City, speaking about the defunct Braniff International Airways from the United States. So, this edition could have been rather named as: Tribute to Braniff in Panama City...
The flying colors operated from Miami and New Orleans as non-stops to Panama City. Dallas/Ft. Worth also launched direct services there.
Their flights originated in Miami used to continue to South America, starting a legacy that is still in place nowadays. By the end of the 70s and allowing limited weekly frequencies, their jets flew out of Panama City to Bogota, Cali, Guayaquil, Quito, Lima and La Paz. They usually continued to their far stations placed in deep South America.
I guess the 727 was the usual plane in Panama City, in those days.
Most of this information was taken from Braniff Schedule. Summer 1978.

Edited on September 16th 2013.
"Goin' up to the spirit in the sky"

Azure

RE: Central American Aviation Thread. Part 55

Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:10 am

Great thread, I've enjoyed reading the previous part !

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 210):
BZE's BA turf, same as PTY is IB

I do not know what you mean for IB.
Between Europe and PTY, KL is the #1 carrier (2,500 seats weekly vs 1,600 seats weekly for IB). Source : http://centreforaviation.com/analysi...ir-france-will-not-be-alone-118493
KL flies 7x a week to PTY, IB 5x.
In addition AF will start a 3x weekly service from CDG as from Nov 25.

Maybe IB dominated this market but that was long ago.

Actually it is nice to see PTY getting more attraction !

yellowtail

Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:41 pm

thanks for starting the new thread
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

2travel2know2

Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:17 pm

Quoting Azure (Reply 1):
I do not know what you mean for IB.

BA and IB belong to the same airline group.
BA focus in flying between LON and English-Speaking Caribbean destinations, IB focus between MAD and Spanish-Speaking Caribbean/Central America.
Recently Panama Tourism Authority was after BA to start LGW-PTY, answer they got from BA was something like "IB wouldn't like it since IB flies from MAD".
And while PTY is desperate for a LON non-stop, chances PTY/CM can woo VS to fly the route - even from LGW - are quite low, at least for now.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

2travel2know2

Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:46 pm

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Thread starter):
I don’t get information about other Central American destination besides Panama City

Well if Eastern got its Latin American routes from Braniff.. and Eastern was flying to SJO.. Does that mean that Braniff was already flying to SJO when Eastern took the routes?
I could be mistaken (specially if I my memory is playing tricks on me) but I had the feeling Braniff did fly to SJO.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

SJOtoLIR
Topic Author

Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:31 am

Quoting Azure (Reply 1):
KL flies 7x a week to PTY, IB 5x.
In addition AF will start a 3x weekly service from CDG as from Nov 25.

Maybe IB dominated this market but that was long ago.

Actually it is nice to see PTY getting more attraction !

KL AMS-PTY 3x weekly with MD-11 resumed their regional services in 2008, when CM was a SkyTeam associated airline. Both KL and CM rapidly started a mutual commercial agreement which is still in service.
The triangular IB MAD-GUA-PTY-MAD [3x-4x] weekly was active in those days. However, SkyTeam and KL AMS-PTY played better their charts, increasing their frequencies up to 7x weekly progressively.
The equipment was changed by the modern 777 later and AF CDG-PTY 3x weekly is due to start on November 25th.
None of the European Star Alliance carriers are still flying to PTY.

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 4):
Braniff was already flying to SJO when Eastern took the routes?

I don't remember Braniff flying to San Jose.
I collected their timetables dated in 1978 and 1980 and SJO is out of that equation.
EA MIA-SJO began their flights in the early 80s where Pan Am and Air Florida attended that market.
Eastern also flew to GUA and SAL. Nonetheless, Braniff International never served these airports.

Regards.

viaggiare

Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:49 pm

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 5):
I don't remember Braniff flying to San Jose

Although connecting third–party (LR?) flights via Panamá were available back in 1965 as shown below.

http://airchive.com/galleries/6387.jpg

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 5):
I collected their timetables dated in 1978 and 1980

Click on the links to see what their route map looked like back in 1973, 1975, and 1981.

[Edited 2013-09-18 08:44:38]
Entre el fuerte y el débil, la libertad oprime. Sólo la ley libera.

viaggiare

Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:27 pm

It may seem like a pipe dream, reminiscent of the Aero Costa Rica fiasco ridden with mismanagement and inefficiency, but there is a new Costa Rican airline in the making.

Ticos Air has submitted all required documentation to the local DGAC for approval, and hopes to start SJOMEXSJO in December.

According to founder/president Gino Renzi, a publicist who worked 20 years for Coke, their next destinations will be EWR, LAX, MIA, and CCS.

Renzi also sits on the board of Hotel & Villas La Condesa in Heredia province.. hopefully not an indication of things to come, but the hotel owes CCSS (public healthcare system) and FODESAF (social welfare fund) over US$745K to date.

With undisclosed foreign backers (my sources point to Venezuela), the airline plans to operate a fleet of 5 leased 319s.

Línea aérea Ticos Air solicita autorización para operar vuelo internacional (in Spanish)

Ticos Air se diferenciará de Avianca por ser 100% nacional (in Spanish)

2travel2know2

Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:50 pm

Quoting viaggiare (Reply 7):
here is a new Costa Rican airline in the making.

So no room for a COPA Costa Rica flying out of SJO to MEX (TLC), MIA (FLL) and where currently CM as Panamanian airline can't add frequencies: CCS, EZE, YYZ...
I'm not on CM's payroll.

viaggiare

Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:22 pm

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 8):
So no room for a COPA Costa Rica flying out of SJO

Not necessarily.. and if this experiment goes belly–up then perhaps the Mottas et al. will snatch it, a la AeroRepública.

MEX (TLC)

Copa and other carriers in the region must be looking forward to seeing the planned México–Toluca high–speed rail (aka Tren Interurbano México–Toluca), and the Naucalpan–Toluca freeway (aka Autopista Interlomas–Aeropuerto) become a reality.

where currently CM as Panamanian airline can't add frequencies: CCS, EZE, YYZ

There are plenty of scenarios where a Costa Rican subsidiary might come in handy for Copa.

yellowtail

Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:18 pm

Quoting viaggiare (Reply 9):
Not necessarily.. and if this experiment goes belly–up then perhaps the Mottas et al. will snatch it, a la AeroRepública.

actually a very plausible scenario

SJOtoLIR
Topic Author

Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:05 am

Quoting viaggiare (Reply 6):
Although connecting third–party (LR?) flights via Panamá were available back in 1965 as shown below

Alliances and code-shares are inventions merely consolidated in the 90s. Perhaps any sort of mutual cooperation existed in those days between Braniff and other carrier.
The route map also displays the Houston - Panama City sector in the 60s.
The significance of Panama City consisted in the first stop for most of their South American routes. The US canal zone in those days could have influenced in more flights to Panama compared to the remaining Central American countries.

Regards.

skybird77

Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:46 am

there is a new Costa Rican airline in the making

This is good news para los Ticos! Competition is always good and I hope it spreads in the region. I wish them success and I hope they don't go the way of Sol Air / AeroHonduras (2003-2005).

SJOtoLIR
Topic Author

Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:46 am

Quoting SkyBird77 (Reply 12):
they don't go the way of Sol Air / AeroHonduras

Ten years ago, Sol Air in Miami was hurt by their competitors who matched their fares linking Honduras and South Florida.
As a result, Sol Air left that market.

Regards.

viaggiare

Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:54 am

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 11):
The US canal zone in those days could have influenced in more flights to Panama compared to the remaining Central American countries

Aside from ideal geographic and topographic conditions, being a stone's throw away from unincorporated U.S. territory obviously added to the charm of Panamá City back then.

This is good news para los Ticos! Competition is always good and I hope it spreads in the region

What is most significant here is that this would have been unthinkable just five years ago. The neighborhood bully that for many years thwarted competition, bled captive markets, short–changed customers, manipuled accident investigations, etc. has gradually lost its grip on CentAm.

Sort of like when the cat's away, the mice will play — only in this case the cat is moribund and the mice no longer feel threatened by the looming specter of his return.

Gotta give Copa and the Tocumen hub some credit for pummeling the beast into submission.

Now perhaps there's hope, in the not–so–distant future, for a well–run ULCC startup that makes intra–CentAm air travel affordable for the masses.

SJOtoLIR
Topic Author

Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:27 am

Quoting viaggiare (Reply 6):
Although connecting third–party (LR?) flights via Panamá

If I remember correctly, Lacsa didn't fly to Guatemala City during the BAC 1-11 era: 60s and 70s.

Competition is always good and I hope it spreads in the region

Panama City has the advantage over other regional cities due to the existence of Balboa Airport which might work for low-cost carriers, resulting in lower operational costs compared to PTY.
Comayagua as back-up for Tegucigalpa is still in doubt. It didn't experience a good time when TGU was temporarily closed due to the accident on May 30th 2008.

Regards.

2travel2know2

Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:41 pm

Quoting viaggiare (Reply 14):
Aside from ideal geographic and topographic conditions, being a stone's throw away from unincorporated U.S. territory obviously added to the charm of Panamá City back then.

Those were the days AA could have flown RDU-PTY or US CLT-PTY plus UA IAD-PTY and made some money just out of U.S. government/military related traffic.
Having such a huge U.S. presence here didn't really mean that much for PTY when BLB U.S. MAC flights would move lots of the traffic which could have been using PTY.

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 15):
Panama City has the advantage over other regional cities due to the existence of Balboa Airport which might work for low-cost carriers, resulting in lower operational costs compared to PTY.

Not only BLB, but new ONX and MPRH too.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

yellowtail

Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:53 pm

Anyone notice the CMAirlines and TAG ad on their FB pages

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=590994217632259&set=a.157673334297685.39062.100001650593441&type=1&theater

Anyone notice small at the bottom Alianza Airways?

viaggiare

Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:59 pm

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 17):

It seems that mice are springing up all over the place now. Interesting times ahead for CentAm aviation.

viaggiare

Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:16 pm

AA1204 SJOMIA (757) diverted to ADZ this morning after crew noticed smoke in the cabin.. flight did eventually resume and is expected to arrive in MIA at 2024EDT (0024UTC)

Esta mañana (19 de septiembre), el vuelo 1204 de American Airlines, volando de San José, Costa Rica (SJO) a Miami (MIA), fue desviado a San Andrés, Colombia (ADZ) debido a un problema mecánico. El vuelo, una aeronave Boeing 757 con 172 pasajeros y seis tripulantes a bordo, aterrizó sin incidente en San Andrés a las 9:45 a.m. Los pasajeros han desembarcado y mantenimiento está evaluando la aeronave. — AA press release

aer

Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:58 pm

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 17):

that's nice, but looks like flights will be operated by CMAirlines and not TAG...

Quoting viaggiare (Reply 18):
It seems that mice are springing up all over the place now

"cuando el gato duerme..."
nice and spacious airports in need of new airlines and flights... GUA or FRS anyone?... anyone at all?

yellowtail

Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:30 am

Quoting aer (Reply 20):
that's nice, but looks like flights will be operated by CMAirlines and not TAG...

Maybe the other way round....TAG has more spare capacity than CMAirlines...

juanchito

Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:46 am

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 21):

I have heard that flights will start on november 5 weekly GUA-SAP-TGU-GUA
They will use Saab340 on that route.

Juanchito
Fotografos de Aviacion de Guatemala. Spotter.
https://www.facebook.com/Fot%C3%B3grafo ... 661476921/

yellowtail

Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:50 am

Quoting juanchito (Reply 22):
They will use Saab340 on that route.

Then it must be TAGs aircraft.

skybird77

Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:58 am

Who is behind CM Airlines? I saw their ticket counter at TGU last month (really hadn't paid much attention to them in my previous trips to TGU, might have seen one of their LET's on the tarmac. Usually I would see Sosa - anybody know how are they doing?).

juanchito

Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:58 am

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 23):
Then it must be TAGs aircraft.

Yes CM have been leasing the SAAB340 and EMB110 from TAG.

ARMSA another airline in Guatemala also leases two Emb110 to CM Airlines

Juanchito

[Edited 2013-09-19 19:59:51]
Fotografos de Aviacion de Guatemala. Spotter.
https://www.facebook.com/Fot%C3%B3grafo ... 661476921/

SJOtoLIR
Topic Author

Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:57 am

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 16):
new ONX

Some local travel agencies are promoting Colon for cruise ships heading to the Caribbean and other regions.
Is this the primary goal that justifies the improvements at ONX?

Regards.

mingocr83

Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:31 am

Heard that the investors were from Mexico, Slim included....
A380, A321, A320, A319, 757-200, 737-800WL, 737-700WL, E190

Azure

Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:31 am

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 3):
BA and IB belong to the same airline group.
BA focus in flying between LON and English-Speaking Caribbean destinations, IB focus between MAD and Spanish-Speaking Caribbean/Central America.
Recently Panama Tourism Authority was after BA to start LGW-PTY, answer they got from BA was something like "IB wouldn't like it since IB flies from MAD".
And while PTY is desperate for a LON non-stop, chances PTY/CM can woo VS to fly the route - even from LGW - are quite low, at least for now.

Thanks for the clarification, I do get your point now.
I do not want to start a IB/BA war here, but if what you write is true, and I have no reason not to believe it, then it is a wrong decision from IAG. Panama economy is booming, its government is very open (re the recent bilateral expansion with the Netherlands that allows KLM to fly from AMS twice daily) and in such a context, IAG should consider serving PTY not only from MAD but also from LON. IB alone cannot compete with KL and AF and it will soon be dwarfed by their 10x weekly flights from Europe that offer much more connectivity and flexibility. Just my 2 cents !

2travel2know2

Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:24 pm

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 26):
Some local travel agencies are promoting Colon for cruise ships heading to the Caribbean and other regions.
Is this the primary goal that justifies the improvements at ONX?

The government and Colon Duty Free Zone also want some cargo flights operating at ONX.
Also, Airport duty free concessions are quite attractive and looked upon so it doesn't matter if the airport would have almost no passenger traffic, those airport stores will be profitable.

Quoting Azure (Reply 28):
then it is a wrong decision from IAG.

PTY/CM will even settle for a BA LGW flight on aircraft w/limited business class cabin, regardless of all that booming economy we're supposed to be experiencing.
The excuse "there are no LHR slots available for BA PTY non-stop flights" can't be used here anymore.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

andrefranca

Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:51 pm

with the current context of Central American airlines, I wish what was being discussed on a separated thread a LCC airlines comes true otherwise I'll need to start using Tica bus on my future travels to C.A.  

yellowtail

Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:16 pm

Quoting andrefranca (Reply 30):
with the current context of Central American airlines, I wish what was being discussed on a separated thread a LCC airlines comes true otherwise I'll need to start using Tica bus on my future travels to C.A.

patience my friends, patience......

viaggiare

Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:08 am

Quoting mingocr83 (Reply 27):
Heard that the investors were from Mexico, Slim included....

Good.. the deeper the pockets, the better.

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 31):
patience my friends, patience......

Prophesy, brother.. prophesy..

viaggiare

Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:13 pm

La Nación today reports 7.5K sq ft of concession space will be added at SJO as part of a planned 10.8K sq ft expansion adjacent to (west of) the existing passenger terminal building. AERIS, the company that operates the airport, says new offerings will range from apparel and clothing to a supermercado —presumably a convenience store, the likes of Vindi or Fresh Market.

[Edited 2013-09-26 07:19:17]

carmenlu15

Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:28 pm

Quoting andrefranca (Reply 30):
I wish what was being discussed on a separated thread a LCC airlines comes true otherwise I'll need to start using Tica bus on my future travels to C.A.

Do you guys think a model similar to what Volaris and Interjet are doing within Mexico (taking away customers from the bus lines) would work in Central America? I certainly hope so!
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

2travel2know2

Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:44 pm

Quoting carmenlu15 (Reply 34):
Do you guys think a model similar to what Volaris and Interjet are doing within Mexico (taking away customers from the bus lines) would work in Central America?

Re: Panama
7P got a B737 and Air Panama currently flies PAC Albrook - DAV-SJO.
If 7P would hat aircraft to use on PAC-DAV and DAV-SJO with fares to take passengers away from bus routes.. I really doubt it.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

andrefranca

Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:14 am

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 35):

I think Tica bus should do what G3 did in Brazil, they were first a bus company that bought planes!  LMFAO.

adamh8297

Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:18 pm

Good news - Massport (government agency running BOS) has separated the CM as a Central American flight so we can a handle on how its doing load wise.

Here's the results I came up with doing the math from Logan Airport Traffic 8-2013

All numbers assume 73G was flown

July 2013 - 82.6%
Aug 2013 - 89.1%
Overall - 86.3%

I would say CM is off to a pretty good start in BOS.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AM, BA, B6, CO, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WN

yellowtail

Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:06 pm

Quoting adamh8297 (Reply 37):
I would say CM is off to a pretty good start in BOS.

LF is not a measure of success.....but if we assume CM is not underpricing their tickets then yes, initial loads look decent.

adamh8297

Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:40 pm

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 38):
LF is not a measure of success.....but if we assume CM is not underpricing their tickets then yes, initial loads look decent.

They definitely had underpriced some of their tickets (example they had sub-$700 flights to Brazil from BOS) during sale periods but on the flipside their CASM has to be lower than the competition in BOS. I got an targeted email from UA for double-miles on BOS-PTY from July 10- October 10 as well.

September and October are typically tougher months so we'll see how they do then.

Does any know how CM does cargo wise as well?
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AM, BA, B6, CO, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WN

SJOtoLIR
Topic Author

Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:54 am

Quoting carmenlu15 (Reply 34):
Do you guys think a model similar to what Volaris and Interjet are doing within Mexico (taking away customers from the bus lines) would work in Central America?

I disagree in this regard.
The fictitious Central American shuttle service would hardly boost any intended flight as most travelers are basically concentrated in downtown areas.
For the case of San Jose, I don't visualize how any dedicated Cartago-SJO, Ciudad Quesada-SJO or Puntarenas-SJO might work successfully, taking into account that many bus lines coming from the Pacific area stop at SJO main terminal. In my view, this volume of passengers is low.

Quoting adamh8297 (Reply 37):
All numbers assume 73G was flown

July 2013 - 82.6%
Aug 2013 - 89.1%
Overall - 86.3%

The future of Copa Airlines is heading to the United States as pointing out in other threads from this series.
Their fares on CM PTY-BOS are not exactly cheap which is most likely granting a profitable venture to the airline.

Regards.

2travel2know2

Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:42 am

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 40):
The future of Copa Airlines is heading to the United States as pointing out in other threads from this series.

There are several deserving South American and Caribbean destinations with very poor non-US or non-regional connectivity which CM should venture before some U.S. destinations where connections several times per day are already available.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

adamh8297

Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:29 am

Their fares on CM PTY-BOS are not exactly cheap which is most likely granting a profitable venture to the airline.

The next three months do have cheap fares. With the exception of holiday weeks (Thanksgiving and Christmas/New Years) there is wide availability of $440 fares (all inclusive) where CM recevies $340 and the US government and Tocumen security fee collects $100. Most fares to connecting right now are much lower than DL/AA/UA. There are even some sub-$800 fares to Brazil available.

carmenlu15

Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:45 pm

I disagree in this regard.
The fictitious Central American shuttle service would hardly boost any intended flight as most travelers are basically concentrated in downtown areas.
For the case of San Jose, I don't visualize how any dedicated Cartago-SJO, Ciudad Quesada-SJO or Puntarenas-SJO might work successfully, taking into account that many bus lines coming from the Pacific area stop at SJO main terminal. In my view, this volume of passengers is low.

I was thinking more on the lines of GUA-SAL and the like... I agree that it wouldn't work for domestic services.
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

viaggiare

Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:24 pm

Ciudad Quesada-SJO

Telenoticias today reports the best location for a proposed new airport serving the northern plains area of the country (proyecto de Ley 17937, para la construcción de un Aeropuerto Internacional en la Región de San Carlos y Zona Norte) according to DGAC, would be somewhere between Muelle and Altamira, not Cutris and Pocosol as previously thought.

Plans are for a category 3C airport with at least 3K feet of runway. The project has drawn more support from lawmakers recently, as the airstrip would potentially also be useful for national defense purposes.

[Edited 2013-09-30 10:12:44]

viaggiare

Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:59 pm

Quoting carmenlu15 (Reply 43):
I was thinking more on the lines of GUA-SAL and the like

That would be great, and should work provided it is not only AFFORDABLE but also CONVENIENT.

If you need to be in SJO three hours before your flight departs for MGA, by then Tica Bus et al. should have you doing border crossing paperwork, and just two hours away from your destination, for a fraction of the airfare cost.

The scenario would be similar in the case of GUA-SAL, and by the time your flight departs, you would've been having breakfast in Ahuachapán, with barely 100km remaining.

MGASJO

Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:21 pm

Quoting viaggiare (Reply 45):
If you need to be in SJO three hours before your flight departs for MGA, by then Tica Bus et al. should have you doing border crossing paperwork, and just two hours away from your destination, for a fraction of the airfare cost.

I-ve done that MGA-SJO-MGA on Ticabus/transnica and similars for about 30 years. Never in less than 9 hours. And when semana santa and new year approaches nearly 12-13 hours. So even with 3 hrs before in SJO (adding 2 hours of driving time with the new pot holes and closures) the trip is better flying!
C208B

carmenlu15

Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:50 pm

Quoting viaggiare (Reply 45):
That would be great, and should work provided it is not only AFFORDABLE but also CONVENIENT.

The scenario would be similar in the case of GUA-SAL, and by the time your flight departs, you would've been having breakfast in Ahuachapán, with barely 100km remaining.

Definitely. Though I think asking passengers to be at the airport three hours before departure is a bit unnecessary, IMO. When I traveled to SJO in 2010, I showed up for both flights two hours before, rather than three. We hadn't checked in online (we were traveling non-rev), and the three of us were checking luggage. Both times we were at the gate with about 1:10-1:20 to spare (even considering the slight delay in security on the way there, because Grandma was carrying a hand bag full of foodstuff   ).

viaggiare

Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:55 pm

Quoting MGASJO (Reply 46):
the new pot holes and closures

More like giant sinkholes.. the 10–foot diameter culverts installed some twenty–five years ago under that highway on which 50K+ cars and trucks pass daily collapsed when choked by a mix of garbage and rushing rainwater runoff.

Quoting MGASJO (Reply 46):
done that MGA-SJO-MGA on Ticabus/transnica and similars for about 30 years. Never in less than 9 hours

Never taken the bus myself, actually.. I drive up to Managua three times a year on average (wish my other favorite CentAm country Guatemala was closer) and, it takes me three hours to the border (unless a watering hole stop is needed along the way) and two more to be having a fritanga and beer along carretera a Masaya.

MGASJO

Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:33 pm

Quoting viaggiare (Reply 48):
Never taken the bus myself, actually.. I drive up to Managua three times a year on average (wish my other favorite CentAm country Guatemala was closer) and, it takes me three hours to the border (unless a watering hole stop is needed along the way) and two more to be having a fritanga and beer along carretera a Masaya.

great! don't ever do it near xmas!
C208B