tu154
Topic Author

United Resurrects "friendly Skies" Slogan

Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:53 am

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/20/bu...er-focused.html?smid=fb-share&_r=0

Interesting read, and very interesting decision by UA management...
FIRST ON THE ATLANTIC.....FIRST ON THE PACIFIC.....FIRST IN LATIN AMERICA...FIRST 'ROUND THE WORLD.....PAN AM!!

Schweigend

RE: United Resurrects "friendly Skies" Slogan

Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:17 am

Dear God, can this be true?

This hallowed and beloved slogan returning to inspire both passengers and employees?

From the linked article:

Quote:
“The real aim” of the new advertising, Mr. O’Toole said, is to “say to customers, co-workers and competitors that United is back in the game in a big way.”

They waited until the moment was right to do this. I'm glad the campaign doesn't sound like bragging, the way old CO's ads did.

Quote:
Both Michael Derchin, an airline analyst at CRT Capital, and Michael Linenberg, who follows the airline industry for Deutsche Bank, commended United on the timing of the new campaign. “It’s particularly important now because of the service problems they had last year, with the integration of United’s and Continental’s computer systems,” Mr. Derchin said. “They had horrendous on-time performance problems and consumer complaints.”

People did wonder why UA didn't advertise much after the merger. There was too much work to be done before they felt ready to present themselves, in my opinion.

Quote:
Henry Harteveldt, travel analyst for Hudson Crossing, called the campaign “a very bold move for United,” but said the advertising carried “the risk of failure: If passengers don’t see United fulfilling its promise of being a ‘user-friendly’ airline, the advertising will be seen as hollow and will backfire.”

Yes, that is a real risk. United must believe it is ready to deliver on its promises now.

It is interesting that "Friendly Skies" does denote more of a soft-product feeling...even though UA has done lots in recent years on the hard-product side.

coairman

Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:27 am

The TV commercial "United's Orchestra In The Sky" was well done. I enjoyed the Rhapsody In Blue music along with Matt Damon's voice. Very classy and sophisticated. Bravo! I am looking forward to seeing the other TV ads. It's perfect timing as UA's on time performance, reliability, and customer service has significantly improved since last year.

Maybe paint the slogan " Fly The Friendly Skies" on the aircraft fuselage with a mini tulip.

[Edited 2013-09-19 22:49:09]
The views I express are of my own, and not the company I work for.

globalflyer

Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:34 am

I would love a combo of Fly the Friendly Skies with Rhapsody in Blue (that along with a new logo and colourscheme)!  
Landing on every Continent almost on an annual basis!

maxpower1954

Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:38 am

Quoting coairman (Reply 2):
Maybe paint the slogan " Fly The Friendly Skies" back on the aircraft fuselage, like the older liveries.

I don't think they ever had the "Fly the Friendly Skies" slogan painted on the aircraft. In the early to mid seventies they did say "Friendship 747" or whatever the type was. The current retro UA A320 says "Friendship A320"

coairman

Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:52 am

Quoting maxpower1954 (Reply 4):

My mistake. I made a correction to my original post. I was thinking about "Worldwide Services" which were on the Battleship Grey liveries along with the "mini" tulip.

[Edited 2013-09-19 23:04:43]
The views I express are of my own, and not the company I work for.

hnl-jack

Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:36 am

I don't think they ever had the "Fly the Friendly Skies" slogan painted on the aircraft. In the early to mid seventies they did say "Friendship 747" or whatever the type was. The current retro UA A320 says "Friendship A320"

I was in the ad department at EXO (UA headquarters in Elk Grove Village) throughout the 60's and the type face used for the slogan was Bookman Old Style - modified. The face was used initially in the late 60's, early 70's for the name on the fuselage and the tail. Eventually it became part of what is commonly referred to as the Stars & Bars livery. The slogan was never used on the aircraft.

Max Q

Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:44 am

That Godawful 'Rhapsody in blue' theme was worn out, monotonous and grating on the nerves shortly after it was introduced.

Seriously, this is all they can come up with, regurgitating old ideas?

Unbelievable..
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

RyanairGuru

Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:17 am

This is fantastic news, it is United saying that they are back in business. They've always said that they would wait for things to be flowing properly before launching new commercials, and with improved performance matrices and new uniforms (meaning that 99.9999% of customers probably don't know whether they're on sUA or sCO) means that time has come.

Quoting Max Q (Reply 7):
Seriously, this is all they can come up with, regurgitating old ideas?

That precisely what they WANT to do. They scared off too many longtime PMUA folks, those that loved that carrier back in its hayday, and they want to proclaim loudly "WE'RE BACK"

I think it's a great idea, and I am, of course, saying that from a PMCO perspective. The blue bilboards with yellow writing basically haven't changed for 20 years (the font and shade of blue changed with the merger, that's it) and we're looking far from original, whereas the print commercial with the "flying the friendly skies" slogan in the linked article looks fresh and creative.

Quote:
Tom O’Toole, United’s senior vice president for marketing and loyalty, said United had opted to return to the Burnett tagline because it wanted to “re-establish United’s position as the world’s leading” customer-focused airline.

He called the timing of its reintroduction “a convergence of a series of advances.” Since 2010, United has completed installation of premium-cabin flatbed seats on select international flights, expanded its economy-plus seating, improved its on-time performance and invested in new customer service training programs for all customer-contact employees.

“The real aim” of the new advertising, Mr. O’Toole said, is to “say to customers, co-workers and competitors that United is back in the game in a big way.”

Worked Hard, Flew Right

Beardown91737

Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:18 am

It is about time that United Airlines took advantage of brand capital which is way bigger than the carrier's actual performance.

However, in the print ad that was shown, the first thing that jumped at me was the PMCO style captions "right time", "right place", "friendly". I guess Wrangler is still keeping them company by sticking with the three short sentences.. and Brett Favre.

If done right, it will have a big payoff, but I am not sure I see it yet.

In the early to mid seventies they did say "Friendship 747" or whatever the type was.

That was gone with the first Saul Bass Tulip scheme, but nice to see it on the A320.
135 hrs PIC (mostly PA-28) - not current. Landings at MDW, PIA, JAN.

klwright69

Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:32 am

I am not sure about this. One side of me says it's timeless and classy, the other side says it's worn out and boring. I wonder if they did research into this, or whether this was just an easy way out.

I wish they would have something original along the lines of "You can't beat the experience-PAN AM"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyFvkHq03Lc

I know, but that one has been used already. I thought that was one of the best airline jingles ever.

RyanairGuru

Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:43 am

Quoting klwright69 (Reply 10):
I wonder if they did research into this

Almost definitely.

Understand that this is the equivalent of the black and white "Keep Climbing" commercials circa 2010 for Delta, not some rushed together botched job.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

washingtonflyer

Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:53 am

IMHO, this is an attempt to bring back some warm feelings that UA used to have. If you go over to the frequent flier message boards, there is nothing but scorn and contempt for United right now.

Just look at the United Club thread for example....

klwright69

Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:35 am

Quoting washingtonflyer (Reply 12):
IMHO, this is an attempt to bring back some warm feelings that UA used to have. If you go over to the frequent flier message boards, there is nothing but scorn and contempt for United right now.

Just look at the United Club thread for example....

Yes, I don't doubt it. They will need to do more than just revive "Fly the Friendly Skies."

I took UA one since the merger. It was fine. But that's besides the point.

I remember when Gordon Bethune took over CO which was dying again, he was personally calling corporate accounts and personally phoning loyal customers. It took more than just ads in other words. But that was a much different situation of course, UA is not dying.

It seems so many airline slogans are awful. Didn't UA have "rising?"

jfklganyc

Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:39 am

Greatest airline slogan ever.

Up there with
mm mm good-Cambells
Be all you can be-Army

and other classics

Pellegrine

Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:59 am

Me likey,

now only if they'll bring back the animated ads, I'd be   
oh boy, here we go!!!

dsuairptman

Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:36 pm

Rhapsody In Blue is a great song and combining it with "Come fly the friendly skies," again is a winner. Now if the would bring back the free Ham and Turkey sandwiches CO had that would be a huge gain for them.
GEAUX SAINTS!

warreng24

Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:53 pm

While I like the "Friendly Skies" slogan, it should be paired with the Tulip... not the cheap early '90's clip-art globe.

MaverickM11

Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:59 pm

UA is "friendly" and Ryanair unveils new strategy: 'be nice to customers', coincidence? Is the world ending? Which of the two will be friendlier first ?

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/ryanai...tegy-nice-customers-121600968.html
E pur si muove -Galileo

seatback

Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:42 pm

I heard Rhapsody In Blue being played in Delta's CVG terminal last night. I thought it was odd.

bjorn14

Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:13 pm

Rhapsody in Blue has become synonomous with UA just like the William Tell Overture aka The Lone Ranger song.
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

masseybrown

Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:18 pm

Quoting seatback (Reply 19):
I heard Rhapsody In Blue being played in Delta's CVG terminal last night. I thought it was odd.

That's funny. Hackers from Chicago must have taken over the Muzak system.

Seems to me the "Friendly Skies" slogan inspired more jokes than admiration; but at least it was noticed by the public. Maybe that's what counts.

highflier92660

Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:21 pm

This is exciting news although it will be a tall order to recreate the genius of the Friendly Skies commercials of the 1960s and 1970s.

Here is the famous United Airlines "Take Me Along" number with the best cast of ad men since the movie Good Neighbor Sam starring Jack Lemmon. When one says, "I love you little cutie but my office is my duty" you're left with the distinct impression this bunch is heading straight towards the carnal, hedonistic pleasures of Las Vegas rather than a marathon of meetings. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRPWbraGpR8

AVENSAB727

Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:31 pm

Looks like UA has finally gotten over the merger, they are getting back on track!
Always look on the bright side of Life!

FWAERJ

Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:33 pm

Quoting bjorn14 (Reply 20):

Rhapsody in Blue has become synonomous with UA just like the William Tell Overture aka The Lone Ranger song.

Anyone notice that the plane used in the ad was one of the two-class sUA 767-300ERs and not a 787 like I would have expected?

Nonetheless, excellent job by both UA and mcgarrybowen, and I love that they're bringing back the "Fly the Friendly Skies" slogan, a slogan people still associate with UA and use long after they stopped using it in 1997. I guess UA, working with mcgarrybowen, bought the rights to the slogan back from Leo Burnett/Publicis Groupe, as IIRC, Burnett and not UA owned the rights to "Fly The Friendly Skies". Maybe that T-shirt sold on the United Shop with a DC-3 and "Come Fly The Friendly Skies" was a sign that it was on its way back.
"Did he really need the triple bypass? Or was it the miles?"

washingtonflyer

Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:37 pm

Gotta remember: the point of an ad and ad campaign is that the public remembers the ad or the jingle and associates it with a brand. Rhapsody in Blue is, frankly, synonymous with United these days (as is the slogan), and people remember it - almost always in a positive light.

Money well spent.

Flighty

Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:47 pm

Are they going to get Gene Hackman or whatever to do the voiceover?

ER757

Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:49 pm

In the early to mid seventies they did say "Friendship 747" or whatever the type was.

And well into the 80's (and maybe beyond) the message boards at the gates in ORD would list the aircraft type that way. Always thought it was a nice touch.

Glad they're bring the slogan back - certainly one of the most iconic tag lines ever.

FWAERJ

Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:54 pm

Quoting Flighty (Reply 26):

Are they going to get Gene Hackman or whatever to do the voiceover?

Sorry. Matt Damon, the voice of UA since the London Olympics, is the voiceover this time around.
"Did he really need the triple bypass? Or was it the miles?"

eastern023

Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:15 pm

AA should do the same with the service to Latin America and reintroduce legacy "El Interamericano..." service...
AA will Rise Again!

klwright69

Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:17 pm

Quoting warreng24 (Reply 17):
While I like the "Friendly Skies" slogan, it should be paired with the Tulip... not the cheap early '90's clip-art globe.

Hmmm Like this is really going to happen. Not.

I think featuring Rhapsody in Blue is a great idea.

I never liked the animated ads however.

DiamondFlyer

Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:17 pm

Quoting Max Q (Reply 7):
That Godawful 'Rhapsody in blue' theme was worn out, monotonous and grating on the nerves shortly after it was introduced.

Rhapsody in Blue is arguable one of the finest pieces of American music ever composed. Not sure why you hate it so much, but most people enjoy it.

-DiamondFlyer
From my cold, dead hands

MaverickM11

Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:18 pm

Quoting DiamondFlyer (Reply 31):
Rhapsody in Blue is arguable one of the finest pieces of American music ever composed. Not sure why you hate it so much, but most people enjoy it.

Probably because it's associated with UA 
E pur si muove -Galileo

flyCMH

Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:26 pm

Onboard with "Rhapsody in Blue" has been uploaded by United on YouTube:

http://youtu.be/0XYtGYrQeV4

All four ads can also be found on The Hub:

https://hub.united.com/en-us/news/pages/default.aspx?type=Video

Glad to see the "Fly the Friendly Skies" tagline back in United advertising. Though it's interesting to note that at no time in any of the four television ads does it mention "customer service - friendly"...

[Edited 2013-09-20 08:40:34]

STT757

Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:27 pm

Quoting eastern023 (Reply 29):
AA should do the same with the service to Latin America and reintroduce legacy "El Interamericano..." service...

That was Eastern, not AA, leave it in EA's history.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

FlyPNS1

Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:34 pm

It's a nice idea, but UAL's problem is delivery.

When you're crammed in that bus terminal of lower-A gates at IAD, trying to board 3 flights simultaneously through one gate while an agent who barely speaks English and hates their job shouts over the intercomm, will you feel the "friendly skies?" When you cram yourself onto a dirty, cramped CRJ for a two hour flight, will you feel the "friendly skies"?

MaverickM11

Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:44 pm

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 35):
It's a nice idea, but UAL's problem is delivery.

True, but that's been the case for decades
E pur si muove -Galileo

LAXintl

Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:04 pm

'Friendly' campaign website with commercials and all

https://hub.united.com/en-us/flyerfriendly/pages/default.aspx

=

Now the secret is to deliver. Otherwise the 'Unfriendly Skies' monkier will be back in full force.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

highflier92660

Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:14 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 37):
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Thanks for the link Jerry Dunphy (a.k.a. LAXintl.)

MSPNWA

Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:22 pm

I totally support returning to the friendly skies. Even after all these years it's the only United branding that I remember. It will be great to hear "Rhapsody" again in the 21st century. Great move UA!

sfotraveler

Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:54 pm

I watched all the commercials and I have to say they do not suck.

bohica

Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:09 pm

Quoting klwright69 (Reply 13):
Didn't UA have "rising?"

Please do NOT give them any ideas.  
Quoting Highflier92660 (Reply 22):
Here is the famous United Airlines "Take Me Along" number with the best cast of ad men since the movie Good Neighbor Sam starring Jack Lemmon. When one says, "I love you little cutie but my office is my duty" you're left with the distinct impression this bunch is heading straight towards the carnal, hedonistic pleasures of Las Vegas rather than a marathon of meetings.

I heard stories about businessmen who used that promotion to take their secretaries along instead.  

psa188

Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:43 pm

Well, I hope UA is not planning on bringing back more golden oldies, such as "Allegis," the short lived name for holding company UAL Inc. from the late 1980s. This name was universally despised and Donald Trump was quoted saying Allegis is the next world class disease.

Can you imagine seeing ads singing "Fly the Friendly Skies of Allegis?"

Type-Rated

Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:58 pm

What's next? United Rising...again?
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

NWOrientDC10

Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:49 pm

Quoting coairman (Reply 2):
Maybe paint the slogan " Fly The Friendly Skies" on the aircraft fuselage with a mini tulip.

In the early to mid seventies they did say "Friendship 747" or whatever the type was. The current retro UA A320 says "Friendship A320"

Correct.  
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © KSK

and

View Large View Medium

Photo © William W. Sierra
View Large View Medium

Photo © Ken Rose

Didn't UA have a hub at "Friendship Int'l Airport"/BWI during the friendship years? Interesting.

Good Day  

Russell
Things aren't always as they seem

N505fx

Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:26 pm

Um...actually, it has.

As for the campaign itself (and speaking from a place of expertise), resurrections are rarely successful, but if done well and contemporized, can be highly effective. I think the timing is right on this one. Friendly Skies, officially, has bene dormant for a while, it has been updated with relevant messaging and the mix of brand aspirational messaging along with product feature/highlights is just about perfectly balanced across the executions.

Its about time the uninspired, cost driven, bland and arrogant PMCO work went away, it seems that PMCO arrogance and "we THINK we did it better than UA" attitude is dying down and a new culture and image are emerging...hopeful it continues

[Edited 2013-09-20 15:05:45 by SA7700]

VC10er

Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:57 pm

Genus...if they deliver.

I actually got a little misty!!!
The world is missing love, let's use our flights to spread it!

United787

Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:08 pm

I love it, THANK YOU United, that made my day!

MaverickM11

Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:56 pm

I honestly don't know why airlines let people post on social media. It just invited a never ending stream of rants, regardless of carrier.

[Edited 2013-09-20 15:08:29 by SA7700]
E pur si muove -Galileo

OA412
Crew

Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:00 pm

Quoting Max Q (Reply 7):

Are you joking? Rhasody in Blue is one of the greatest symphonic pieces every composed. It is hardly worn out and anything but monotonous and grating.

Quoting klwright69 (Reply 10):
One side of me says it's timeless and classy, the other side says it's worn out and boring.

It was incredibly effective during its time. I still remember it after almost 20 years, just like DL's "we love to fly and it shows" slogan and AA's "something special in the air" campaign. The more recent campaigns have just not been memorable. I can't even name any other than "rising," and that's only because someone brought it up in this thread.

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 32):
Quoting DiamondFlyer (Reply 31):

Probably because it's associated with UA 

Quoting type-rated (Reply 44):
What's next? United Rising...again?

I hope not. That was just terrible and ineffective.

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 48):
You honestly think UA needs a brand campaign to attract customers back? A half billion in product improvements and alignments and you think a jingle is the last ditch effort to right the ship? You think high yield pax are that dumb or fickle?

I don't know. Someone recently suggested that high yield pax will select AA over DL because John Hamm is the voice of AA and Donald Sutherland is the voice of DL.  
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West