iowaman
Topic Author

Scandinavian Aviation 2013 - Part 3

Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:24 pm

Due to length of part 2, here is part 3.

Previous thread: Scandinavian Aviation 2013 - Part 2 (by iowaman May 13 2013 in Civil Aviation)

Someone83

RE: Scandinavian Aviation 2013 - Part 3

Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:05 am

LN-RCY, one of SAS 737-800s is currently in the hangar getting a special Disney "Planes" livery nd should be put in traffic shortly.
Some photos can be found here:

http://forum.flyprat.no/showthread.php?p=884700#post884700

invaders

Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:06 pm

Two other SAS-planes are also in the hanger now, OY-KAM and OY-KAT because of problems with windows in the cockpit during two seperate incidents. OY-KAM flying GOT-LHR and OY-KAT flying LHR-CPH. Both planes were previous with IndiGO.

Read more here: http://www.check-in.dk/newselement.c...?nNewsArticleID=81619#.UkGbeiRIu2w

Someone83

Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:56 pm

Quoting invaders (Reply 2):
Two other SAS-planes are also in the hanger now, OY-KAM and OY-KAT because of problems with windows in the cockpit during two seperate incidents

Both planes are back in service. A cracked windshield doesn't mean weeks in the hangar.....

invaders

Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:53 pm

Quoting Someone83 (Reply 3):
Both planes are back in service. A cracked windshield doesn't mean weeks in the hangar.....

Misread the article, sorry.   

invaders

Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:39 am

Problem's just don't stop for DY. Now the labour-union parat is warning DY that it's not accepting the use of foreign pilots on Norwegian routes. If Norwegian don't meet the demand from Parat it might be a rather shity autumn for Norwegian with 787 problems and to top it up, a strike :P

http://e24.no/boers-og-finans/streik...are-for-norwegian-i-hoest/21615565 Source(only in norwegian).

invaders

Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:53 pm

Austrian adds OSL-INN from Jan 18 to late march. I thought SK flew this route? But after searching a bit I could not find any winter-sesaonal direct-routes from OSL to INN with SK.

Someone83

Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:04 pm

Quoting invaders (Reply 6):
I thought SK flew this route?

No, but they flew to Salzburg last winter. But that route seems not like coming back. Buut they had some charter flights to INN once a while

invaders

Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:36 pm

Quoting Someone83 (Reply 7):

No, but they flew to Salzburg last winter. But that route seems not like coming back. Buut they had some charter flights to INN once a while

DY have doubled their frequency from BGO to Salzburg compared to last winter when it was saturday only. Atleast it seems like something is working for them :P

SAS A340

Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:30 am

As we all expected   regarding the Scandinavians government wish to sell SAS....

"Prime Minister Helle Thorning-Schmidt's Party Socialdemokraterne are wary of a possible bid for the Danish stake in SAS at the present time.

-For the moment, we believe that it will have to focus on carrying out the plan to save the SAS. That said, the Government is very keen to make sure that the high number of flights from Copenhagen, and the quality of these. Route the quotation strengthens the business and increase employment in both the Copenhagen and the surrounding areas, "said the Danish Parliament Member Jesper Petersen to the E24.

The concern is related to if a foreign owner, for example, a German, will be just as interested in the Danish capital as the hub for the Scandinavian air travel."

Link: http://e24.no/boers-og-finans/danske...er-skeptiske-til-sas-salg/21616751 (Norwegian only.)
It's not what u do,it's how u do it!

Thunderboltdrgn

Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:23 am

There is also an article about LH and SK at the local http://www.thelocal.se/50472/20130927/

Quote:
Lufthansa chief executive Christoph Franz said Thursday that his group could consider
making a bid for the Scandinavian airline SAS.

"The chief executive Rickard Gustafson has really done an impressive job. SAS has made
a lot of improvements to the company," he told the Svenska Dagbladet newspaper.

"It means that we could perhaps consider once again whether an acquisition could be possible."

Lufthansa has long been seen as the main contender to acquire the ailing airline.
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente

LN-KGL

Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:10 am

This sceptesism from the Danish follows a long tradition. For those of you that saw the 1 hour long Danish TV programme about SAS will right away recognize - to have as many as possible employed at Kastrup. What's best for SAS comes in second row.

SKAirbus

Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:37 pm

Quoting LN-KGL (Reply 11):
This sceptesism from the Danish follows a long tradition. For those of you that saw the 1 hour long Danish TV programme about SAS will right away recognize - to have as many as possible employed at Kastrup. What's best for SAS comes in second row.

When it comes to SAS, Denmark suffers a bit of an inferiority complex. It is the smallest country geographically with no big domestic network to think of. As such it built itself up as the intercontinental hub, something which probably isn't sustainable with the likes of DY setting up shop at OSL and other bases.

Unfortunately Denmark also has an incredibly hostile union culture. Norway is similar in this respect. Unfortunately it isn't something they can even think about changing with a social democratic lead coalition in government.
Next Flights: LHR-OSL (738), OSL-CPH (320), CPH-LHR (321), LHR-HEL (359), HEL-LHR (359)

invaders

Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:49 pm

Quoting SKAirbus (Reply 12):
DY setting up shop at OSL and other bases.

They need a working airplane first 

EBGflyer

Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:02 pm

Quoting SKAirbus (Reply 12):
It is the smallest country geographically

Why look at things in black and white? You forget to mention that the catchment area of CPH in the Øresund-region at the same time is the most populated. Do SIN, DXB & HKG have a strong domestic network? No, but they are certainly strong hubs.
Future flights: CPH-BOS; CPH-SVG; CPH-PVG-HKG-MNL-DVO; CPH-CDG; CPH-NRT; CPH-MIA; CPH-PVG

Thunderboltdrgn

Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:29 pm

Quoting EBGflyer (Reply 14):
catchment area of CPH in the Øresund-region at the same time is the most populated.

I disagree with this.

Sure the Öresund is well populated but Stockholm with Uppsala, Mälardalen (biggest cities
are Västerås, Eskilstuna and Södertälje), Örebro Norrköping, Linköping and Gävle,
have a bigger catchment are and bigger population.

All these cities are about 200km or closer to Arlanda and all of then have a
population of about 100'000 or more.

While Öresund have Cph, Malmö. Helsingborg, Lund and Odense within 200km

[Edited 2013-09-27 06:30:35]
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente

EBGflyer

Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:15 pm

Quoting ThunderboltDrgn (Reply 15):
All these cities are about 200km or closer to Arlanda and all of then have a
population of about 100'000 or more.

I don't know about the numbers, but I think one also has to consider infrastructure. CPH is easy and relatively inexpensive to get to not least because it's part of the local commuter network. Is this the same for ARN?

There are both historal and logistical reasons for CPH being a main hub. Probably none of the 3 capital airports would have been ideal to choose as the main hub only, when you count both the long-haul and the intra-european route networks in. On its own they could probably have done fairly well, but all 3 airports had to be considered in this balancing act.
Future flights: CPH-BOS; CPH-SVG; CPH-PVG-HKG-MNL-DVO; CPH-CDG; CPH-NRT; CPH-MIA; CPH-PVG

Thunderboltdrgn

Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:38 pm

ARN is easy to access via Freeways (on both sides of lake Mälaren), Express trains,
commuter trains, regular buses and airport coaches. For those who choose
to drive there is also several larger long-time parkings around the airport.

Even if the express train is not cheap, crossing the bridge is not particular cheap either.

Within a 2-2,5 hour drive from Stockholm you have more the 1/3 of the 10M people that lives in Sweden.

jox

Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:39 pm

Quoting ThunderboltDrgn (Reply 17):
ARN is easy to access via Freeways (on both sides of lake Mälaren), Express trains,
commuter trains, regular buses and airport coaches. For those who choose
to drive there is also several larger long-time parkings around the airport.

Don't forget that the long distance trains stops at ARN as well (convenient for those that lives a bit north and northwest of Stockholm).

EBGflyer

Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:55 pm

Quoting ThunderboltDrgn (Reply 17):
Within a 2-2,5 hour drive from Stockholm you have more the 1/3 of the 10M people that lives in Sweden.

Within just 2 hours from CPH I'd say you'd have a fair bit more than that. Without Sweden, Zealand+Funen alone has 3 million. Within the 2 hours drive on the Swedish side I'd say you have 1-1.5 million as well.

Check this out:
CPH/UK/B2B/Airlines/Catchment+Area/Catchment+area+size.htm" target="_blank">http://www.cph.dk/CPH/UK/B2B/Airline...hment+Area/Catchment+area+size.htm

airlittoralguy

Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:49 pm

Good morning everyone.

I am looking for the schedules of the formerly operated Malmo aviation flights between Malmo and London city (around 1992/1993) as well as their more recent (around 1999 ? ) flights between Stockholm Bromma airport and London city.

If anyone could post here the schedules for these former Malmo aviation flights into London city airport, your help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Normandie : La r�©unification, maintenant ! http://www.mouvement-normand.com/

Thunderboltdrgn

Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:50 pm

Quoting EBGflyer (Reply 19):

Like I said yesterday the population of Kastrups catchment area is
big but Arlandas is just as big or bigger.

Even If you add the 2M population in Göteborg, Skåne and Halland to the 5.5M people living in Denmark
you still don't have a larger population then the rest of Sweden which would about 8m people.

The people of Gothenburg can just as well go to ARN instead of CPH as don't
would need to pay the fee for the HH-ferries or the bridge.

So population wise there isn't any favour for CPH as you seems to think.

Navigator

Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:55 pm

Quoting EBGflyer (Reply 16):
I don't know about the numbers, but I think one also has to consider infrastructure. CPH is easy and relatively inexpensive to get to not least because it's part of the local commuter network. Is this the same for ARN?

There are both historal and logistical reasons for CPH being a main hub

I doubt CPH has a future as a hub for Metropolitan Stockholm area. Why would you travel in the air for an hour to get to your main airport. Arlanda is Stockholms main airport with intercontinental connections to Asia, Africa and the US, Whats this talk about CPH? CPH is Copenhagens airport and Bromma and Arlanda serve Stockholm. Nothing to do with CPH. You can as easily connect with Emirates in Dubai going east instead. CPH:s importance as a hub in Scandinavia is getting smaller as OSL and ARN gets thier fair share of nonstops. That progress will continue.
747-400/747-200/L1011/DC-10/DC-9/DC-8/MD-80/MD90/A340/A330/A300/A310/A321/A320/A319/767/757/737/727/HS-121/CV990/CV440/S

HUYfan

Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:44 am

Does anyone have an inside view on how SAS's new Humberside to Copenhagen route is selling?

Kind regards

HUYfan

Thunderboltdrgn

Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:38 am

Quoting Navigator (Reply 22):
You can as easily connect with Emirates in Dubai going east instead.

Or with TG in BKK or AY in HEL or the with Air China in Beijing.

I also agree with what you say about wasting an hour by going on a plane in the wrong direction.

SAS A340

Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:56 pm

Quoting ThunderboltDrgn (Reply 21):
The people of Gothenburg can just as well go to ARN instead of CPH

I live close to Gothenburg and i take ARN 10 times out of 10 when i am flying... if i can get a nonstop flight... most of my friends do.

SAS A340

Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:25 pm

Now it seems that Norwegian air will not pay out refunds to passengers who have been delayed because of the dreamliner problems ... even though they were promised 600 €

We don't know yet how we're going to do with all these delays and it is an unusually large number of persons concerned. So we may have to act differently, but I do not know yet. They keep on investigating internally. says Communications Manager Charlotte Holmbergh j.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/resa/flyg/article17569541.ab (Swedish only)

invaders

Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:51 pm

Speaking about hubs, I knew that Hamburg is a new hub for U2 but I did not know it was in competition with CPH.

What it is this CPH GO? Is it the same stuff as for example DY uses at AMS?

Source: http://www.check-in.dk/newselement.c...?nNewsArticleID=81857#.UkmrpiRIu2w

Someone83

Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:58 pm

Quoting invaders (Reply 27):

What it is this CPH GO? Is it the same stuff as for example DY uses at AMS?

Yes, it is the rather remote pier F (Gate F1-10) which lies to the far east of the terminal. Consider U2 uses T2 for check in means it is a long walk out to the middle of nowhere.

LN-KGL

Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:17 pm

invanders, you seems to be struggling with some important expressions, like what is the difference between a hub and a base.

Let's start with the easiest, what is a base: Many of the low cost carriers like Ryanair and easyJet only fly point to point and don't offer transfer. To organize this type of airline you need bases where you assigned a fixed number of aircraft with a necessary number of based crews to fly out of this base. What's typical for such a base is a morning rush and the next you see all based aircraft together again will be during evening/night. If you as a passenger want to transfer from one flight to another at such a base, you need to claim your luggage on arrival and again check in for the next flight. You have to cover for the risks if you want to transfer.

Now to what characterize a hub. First of all, it's the airline that decides to place a hub at a certain airport, not the other way aound. Even CPH itself struggle to understand this since they are talking about themselves as a World Class Hub. Today only two airline groups have hub operation at CPH and they are the SAS Group (SK, KF and WF) and Norwegian (DY/NAX and from November DU/NLH). Since there are also a number of other Star Alliance airlines flying in, CPH may also be characterized as a Star Alliance hub as long as SAS offers to fly passengers to and from its "home market". CPH isn't alone being a Star Alliance hub in Scandinavia, at both ARN and OSL there is the same type of operation. At one time CPH was what today is called a fortress hub. At the turn of the century 47% of the passengers at CPH were transfer/transit passengers and 12 years later it's only 24%. That tells a lot how important CPH once was for Scandinavia, or let me rephrase it - how important Scandinavia once was for CPH. In the Danish TV programme about SAS that was aired a few weeks ago it was even claimed that the Danish CAA would not allow SAS to fly twin engined aircraft (B767) on long haul because that could weaken the Danish hub (aka CPH).

Much has changed the last decades, or let me rephrase this too and say the last decade with the upstart Norwegian being the only Scandinavian airline with a real passenger growth (18.6 million passengers growth in 10 years and now Norwegian is close to 77% of SAS). SAS at CPH has found many of its IC passengers in the backyard of Lufthansa and I suspect they want them back if they buy SAS. With all this in mind I don't see a great future for CPH being a important IC hub for Lufthansa Scandinavia.

invaders

Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:47 am

Quoting LN-KGL (Reply 29):

Thats great, professor.. I stand corrected

SKAirbus

Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:35 am

Quoting SAS A340 (Reply 26):
Now it seems that Norwegian air will not pay out refunds to passengers who have been delayed because of the dreamliner problems ... even though they were promised 600 €We don't know yet how we're going to do with all these delays and it is an unusually large number of persons concerned. So we may have to act differently, but I do not know yet. They keep on investigating internally. says Communications Manager Charlotte Holmbergh j.

As Norwegian fly to and from the EU (Sweden) and an EEA country (Norway) with their Dreamliners, surely they are subject to the same rules as every other carrier with regards to compensation??? They can't deny passengers especially if the delay caused significant disruption to the passengers involved.

It seems like they are employing Ryanair tactics, in the hope that the passengers are stupid enough to go with it.
Next Flights: LHR-OSL (738), OSL-CPH (320), CPH-LHR (321), LHR-HEL (359), HEL-LHR (359)

Someone83

Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:08 pm

SAS has decided to donate one of their last MD-80s to the SAS Museum at OSL. The museum have together with OSL decide how it can be parked in connection with the museum

SKAirbus

Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:28 am

Quoting Someone83 (Reply 32):
SAS has decided to donate one of their last MD-80s to the SAS Museum at OSL. The museum have together with OSL decide how it can be parked in connection with the museum

That is such a wonderful gift although you'd think SAS would prefer to have the money for scrapping etc. Then again it is the end of an era, that started with the DC9 in the 1960s so definitely worth enshrining that... I just hope OSL find a place for it! Would be nice for them to start a collection of aircraft like MUC and MAN have. Maybe they can source an old 737-200 and paint it in the old Braathens S.A.F.E colour scheme?

Someone83

Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:42 am

Quoting SKAirbus (Reply 33):
Maybe they can source an old 737-200 and paint it in the old Braathens S.A.F.E colour scheme?

Consider it is a SAS-museum, very unlikely. Also, where the museeum is, there is limited space without blocking too much of the West Air mail cargo ramp area

SKAirbus

Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:48 am

Quoting Someone83 (Reply 34):
Consider it is a SAS-museum, very unlikely. Also, where the museeum is, there is limited space without blocking too much of the West Air mail cargo ramp area

True...

Well Braathens is a part of SAS' history... Even though it was, at the time, a competitor.

Someone83

Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:30 pm

SAS has announced their order for 4 A330-300 and 8 A350-900 (+6 options) has been firmed with Airbus

B747forever

Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:38 pm

Quoting Someone83 (Reply 36):

SAS has announced their order for 4 A330-300 and 8 A350-900 (+6 options) has been firmed with Airbus

Were there ever any doubts about the order? I thought it was a done deal when they announced it the first time.
Work Hard, Fly Right

Mortyman

Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:37 pm

Quoting B747forever (Reply 37):
Were there ever any doubts about the order? I thought it was a done deal when they announced it the first time.

The difference is that, now the contract is SIGNED

prebennorholm

Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:08 am

Quoting LN-KGL (Reply 29):
At the turn of the century 47% of the passengers at CPH were transfer/transit passengers and 12 years later it's only 24%. That tells a lot how important CPH once was for Scandinavia...

It probably tells more about how important CPH once was for Denmark.

But then the Great Belt Bridge was opened, and Danish domestic air traffic consequently collapsed. Half of the Danish population, living west of the bridge, now mostly take the train to/from CPH, and a train/airline transfer doesn't count as a transfer.

And probably more important, those same people suffered a dramatic decrease of domestic frequencies. That made the western half of Denmark far more interesting for "foreign" airlines. So now that half of Denmark has partly forgotten that there once was a hub named CPH. They rather use AMS, CDG, FRA, MUC or they take the train or own car to HAM.

Even going to the USA it is often more convenient to go BLL-KEF.... since Icelandair from KEF serves more destinations in the USA than any of the Scandinavian hubs can offer.

The SAS Q400 troubles did a lot to speed up that process. Not the crashes, but their terrible dispatch reliability during their first few years. Countless western Danish pax got stuck at CPH when a 30 minutes domestic flight on a Q400 was a few hours late so they couldn't transfer according to plan at CPH.

CPH has simply become more a southern Swedish, and less a Danish airport over that time frame.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

LN-KGL

Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:50 am

But this decline in domestic market share only counts for less than 3 percentage points of the 23 percentage points decline in transfer prebenholm.

g2scandinavia

Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:51 am

Norwegian to boost service out of OSL on domestic services.
A total of 22 new daily flights in and out of OSL.
This will boost capacity by 100.000 seats montly.

From 31MAR14

Oslo - Bergen : From 13 to 15 daily (60 daily flights total DY/SK)

Oslo - Trondheim : From 13 to 15

Oslo - Stavanger : From 11 to 13

Oslo – Alta : From 1 to 2

Oslo – Evenes : From 4 til 5

Oslo – Molde : From 3 to 4

Oslo – Tromsø : From 5 to 6

Oslo – Ålesund : From 4 til 5

Someone83

Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:52 am

OY-KAW, SAS 10th A320 is planned delivered to CPH today and should shortly be placed in traffic. This is an ex-Kingfisher aircraft, unlike the previous nine where 2 have been ex-Spanair (owned by SAS) and 7 ex-Indigo

B747forever

Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:10 pm

Quoting Mortyman (Reply 38):
The difference is that, now the contract is SIGNED

Thought it was already done when they announced the order the first time. Oh, well guess it doesnt make any difference.
Work Hard, Fly Right

invaders

Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:14 pm

Quoting g2scandinavia (Reply 41):
Norwegian to boost service out of OSL on domestic services.

I thought DY said that they are going to reduce domestic services because of the Eurobonus :P

I do wonder if Easyjet is going to increase its services on BGO. BGO-LGW on U2 will be reduced from 7 to 5 weekly for a period, but I do feel that 5 daily departures to LON(BA,DY,U2) on some weekdays is a bit too much anyway.

Mortyman

Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:57 pm

Norwegian Reports Continued Passenger Growth in September

The airline carried 1,920,329 passengers in September, an increase of 272,627 passengers (17 percent) compared to September 2012. The total capacity (ASK) increased by 33 percent and the passenger traffic (RPK) increased by 30 percent. The load factor was 78.3 percent, down 1.7 percentage point from the same month last year.

Read more here:

http://media.norwegian.com/en/#/pres...ssenger-growth-in-september-913283

Someone83

Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:28 am

Photo of hte first JetTime ATR-72-600 in SAS colours which will be delivered to JetTime this month and used on minor routes from ARN and CPH

http://www.planepictures.net/netshow.php?id=1252518

SKAirbus

Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:57 pm

Quoting someone83 (Reply 46):
Photo of hte first JetTime ATR-72-600 in SAS colours which will be delivered to JetTime this month and used on minor routes from ARN and CPH

Nice looking bird!

Do we know what routes they will be operating on?

Someone83

Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:26 pm

Quoting SKAirbus (Reply 47):
Do we know what routes they will be operating on?

Those operated by Golden Air from ARN today. So Kalmar, Sundvall, Turku, Vaasa, Tampere and Oulo.

So far SAS har signed contract for six ATRs with JetTime, with the first two being based at ARN starting this October, while the two next ones are coming next spring, and AFAIK will be CPH based

SKAirbus

Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:40 pm

Quoting someone83 (Reply 48):
Those operated by Golden Air from ARN today. So Kalmar, Sundvall, Turku, Vaasa, Tampere and Oulo.

Brilliant. Thanks!

Sundsvall has a modern terminal building with air bridges even but the airport just seems to be completely underutilised. Even Skellefteå has more passengers nowadays. I guess the advent of high speed rail has helped there...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos