planemannyc
Topic Author

NYT: Interesting Look At JFK Ops For UN Summit

Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:03 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/30/ny...mplex-dance-over-a-un-meeting.html

Interesting dance to get delegates in and out.

Traffic in NYC was nightmarish last week. Guess same could be said of JFK operations. I wonder where these off airport airfields are (as referred to in the article).

I like the note on the delegates and entourages' luggage differential on arrival and departure.

L410Turbolet

RE: NYT: Interesting Look At JFK Ops For UN Summit

Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:34 pm

Quote from the NYT article: The movement of motorcades of varying lengths onto and off the tarmac had to be safely assured. Eight cars arrived to pick up Jiri Rusnok, the Czech prime minister. The Moldovans left in a single sedan.

My sincere apologies to New Yorkers. That guy is not even a proper PM. He's a PM of a caretaker government which failed to win a confidence vote and there are three weeks to early election. A lame duck if there ever was one. What a waste of taxpayer's money on both sides of the ocean.

kevin

Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:52 pm

Judging from the article, this summit is an enormous economic benefit to the US (NY City in particular)  

B6JFKH81

Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:15 pm

Quoting planemannyc (Thread starter):
I wonder where these off airport airfields are (as referred to in the article).

If I recall correctly, there were aircraft up at SWF, and out in ISP, I recall a few years seeing a Turkish ACJ parked at FRG but not sure if any were out at FRG this year. I am sure there are others in the area as well. I miss being at JFK for this event, it was always interesting to see the different aircraft and the many, many motorcades.
"If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it"

Moose135

Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:34 pm

Quoting planemannyc (Thread starter):
I wonder where these off airport airfields are (as referred to in the article).

Most go to SWF, a number went down to Andrews AFB. I didn't hear of any at FRG this year, but some did go through ISP.
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

ANITIX87

Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:37 pm

nycaviation.com has full coverage of the UNGA traffic. Aircraft arrive, drop-off, and fly to either SWF, IAD, or FRG for the most part. They have a 2-hour window at JFK.

The number of spotters out these past weeks has been impressive here in the NYC area. Always the best week of shooting we get, and lots of surprises.

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

MesaFlyGuy

Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:14 pm

Quoting B6JFKH81 (Reply 3):

If I recall correctly, there were aircraft up at SWF, and out in ISP, I recall a few years seeing a Turkish ACJ parked at FRG but not sure if any were out at FRG this year.

Trust me, if there were any to FRG I would've seen or heard them (or felt them rumble my house like the Air Force 737 did a few years back)!   

In the last week, we've had a few Miami Air's, but that's about it.  
Quoting ANITIX87 (Reply 5):
The number of spotters out these past weeks has been impressive here in the NYC area. Always the best week of shooting we get, and lots of surprises.

Absolutely. I'm lucky enough to not have to leave my backyard to watch these interesting birds fly over!
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

B6JFKH81

Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:40 pm

Quoting MesaFlyGuy (Reply 6):
Trust me, if there were any to FRG I would've seen or heard them (or felt them rumble my house like the Air Force 737 did a few years back)!

Same here, I'm just down the road in W. Babylon   I used to take New Highway in the morning to get to my 2nd job in Farmingdale on the weekends back when I was also working at B6, so I used to see who was parked over at Sheltair, but I have been taking a different way lately that is less of a hassle for me.
"If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it"

teneriffe77

Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:30 am

I was surprised to see on another website a pic of an Air Zimbabwe 762 at JFK for the summit as I thought they were grounded