Kai Tak

Mon Mar 22, 1999 12:51 am

Why dosen´t the aircrafts landing from the other derection off the runway? It´s just free sea there!
?????

JOnas
fly Lauda

RE: Kai Tak

Mon Mar 22, 1999 1:10 am

If you are saying that why didn't the aircraft land to Kai Tak to runway 31 since there are no obstructions on the final approach path like there are to runway 13, the reason is winds. Planes always have to land in such a direction that they have a headwind, not a tailwind. Unless the tailwind is very mild. And in Hong Kong, the winds more often then not were such that they had to land on runway 13.

Luke

Mon Mar 22, 1999 1:21 am

There was NOTHING like flying into kai tak in a cathay A330. It was like the climax of flying. I love kai tak and miss it so, and beijing should re-open it. I want to see buildings fly passed winglets like they are about to make contact, and steep turns over lion rock, and just breath Hong Kong as you come in.

I was in hevean. Chap Lap Kok just don't do it for me.
How cares about the people who live below. In hong kong, i think the noise might have actually done them a favour. Real estate prices are so high in Hong Kong, the areas worst affected by the flight path may have ment people could afford appartments to live in that otherwise couldn't. So, some good comes out of it.
I know it scared a lot of people flying in though. I still remember my mother clinging onto that airbus seat, and closing her eyes looking very tense.

Does anybody know what is happaning to the Kai tak sight?

CX747

Mon Mar 22, 1999 2:01 am

It will be torn down and turned into a real estate venture. I agree with you thought that Kai Tak should be reopened. We will never see a great airport like that again.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

Mon Mar 22, 1999 2:12 am

I heard that they might make it to a park and use some land for more apartments.

Mon Mar 22, 1999 3:26 am

Sure, the wind is the reason for using rwy 13 most of the times.
Despite the difficult approach, and I believe its really hard for pilots to do this turn and line up, there is also an advantage using rwy 13:
If the aircrafts land on Rwy 31 they have to use the same rwy for taking off. That can be a much bigger problem if an engine (or more) fails during take off. In that case there is no free space ahead and on the ground are buildings everywhere.
So taking off from rwy 13 is easier and safer.

Another reason for using rwy 13: Its really exiting for all, pax, the people watching the plane and I think for the pilots.
I've made this approach only once with a Qantas 747 but I still can remember it very well.

c.u

RE: Celine Dion

Mon Mar 22, 1999 3:50 am

I think that celine dion is to [or has had] have a concert at hong kong and it will be at kai tak.

CX747

Mon Mar 22, 1999 11:02 am

Maybe if we all pool our money together we can buy the land and reopen the airport. We could charge alot less than Chek Lap Kok and probably lure new airlines to Hong Kong!!!!
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

Luke

CX747 Open It

Mon Mar 22, 1999 11:07 am

COUNT ME IN. OPEN KAI TAK.

FLY PAST LION ROCK. CHARGE LOW LANDING FEES.

SOUNDS GREAT TO ME.

CX747

How Many?

Tue Mar 23, 1999 1:26 am

How many people are with me to try and purchase Kai Tak:)

Tue Mar 23, 1999 6:29 pm

I had the pleasure of doing a jump seat landing into Kai-Tak last may and it will never be forgotten in all my memories up the front of the Boeing 747-300 on the approach then the sight of the checker board then the airport in sight it will not be forgotten. In all the years of doing jump seats this would have been the ULTIMATE in all.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos