Clumps Of Flights???

Mon Mar 22, 1999 2:34 am

I know this may sound stupid, especially comming from me, but I really want to ask it, so don't laugh!!! Yesterday (I had the day off), I went to IAD to take pictures. I went around 2. The airport was almost lifeless. No one was in a rush, nothing was happening real fast. So I waited (not many planes were there). I went to the screen. Almost all the flights were taking off between 4:15pm-5:55pm. All of the sudden, (at 3:35pm) the bulding filled up, along with most of the gates. Why would any airport want to do this. Wouldn't the smart thing be to spread out the flights so it is not so crampt and hectic?

flyf15

RE: Clumps Of Flights???

Mon Mar 22, 1999 2:55 am

This is often done so that connections are easier for passengers. If all the flights come in and depart at about the same time frame, they do not have to wait long for their connecting flights, and they will not arrive just after a flight to their next destination has taken off.

Mon Mar 22, 1999 3:53 am

Each of these groups of flights are called a bank, and you will see them at all major hubs. Generally, there will be a bank of arrivals to bring connecting pasengers in, then a bank of departures to get them back out. This is the most efficient way of timing flights to allow the most possible connections.

Mon Mar 22, 1999 3:55 am

Thank you for all your help. But why would anyone want quick connections? It makes you so much more stressfull! You have to like push people out of the way in the plane isles (you know it takes like 15 minutes to get out) then run through the terminal looking like a moron. But whatever!

mirage

Mon Mar 22, 1999 4:30 am

There's nothing stupid in that question. Here in FAO we have the same problem.
If all the airlines want to operate between 1600 and 1800, the airport authority can't do nothing.
When there are no more slots available between that hours, then the airlines must operate in different hours.
It's normal here lifeless hours in the terminal and then, the buses with tourists from the hotels start arriving all at the same time and ofcourse, the check-in's and gates become extremely used.

Luis, Faro, Portugal

L1011

Mon Mar 22, 1999 5:40 am

I agree with FAunited7. When I am making a connection, I don't like to worry about either my luggage or me not making it if my inbound flight is a few minutes late. I like to be able to leisurely wander over to my next flight, maybe browsing through the airport shops along the way.

Bob Bradley
Richmond, VA
Fly Eastern's Golden Falcon DC-7B

L-188

Mon Mar 22, 1999 6:19 am

Technically you aren't supposed to be booked for a connection unless you have at least 45 minutes to make it.

But by the time you factor in the delays.......
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Mon Mar 22, 1999 6:39 am

As passengers, it may be nice to have a liesurely connection (though I think many business travelers would disagree), but airlines are trying to do what works best for them. Having banks of flights allows them to offer the most possible city-pairs, because they aren't going to schedule a connection of 5 hours or anything, and they need to have their planes in the air as much as possible.

JETPILOT

Mon Mar 22, 1999 9:02 am

Planes don't like to fly alone. They travel in packs for safety.

Lindy

RE; Thats A Joke!

Mon Mar 22, 1999 12:57 pm

Zach, you said that airport was lifeless at 2pm!!!!! I cant belive that. Only USAirways\USAirways Express and MetroJet had last saturday 86 flights between 2pm and 8:50pm!!!!! Thats where last plane was living (I'm talking about USAirways) flight 2761 to ATL. And after that flight we were waiting for Terminators (planes which are staying overnight), 10 big jets B737-200/300/400, DC-9, MD80, F100. Add United, they have around 100 flights between 2pm and 9pm!!! Lifeless? hehehehe You spent to much time in that model shop.

Rafal
BWIADCA - Nikon D100

DFW

Mon Mar 22, 1999 2:27 pm

Two words ladies and gentleman. BUSINESS TRAVELLERS. That is a big reason flights happen there. I fly on them everyday. In the U.S. the business traveller dictates what happens. Not the tourists or people like you and I. Another reason is that time frame is also when the international flights depart. Supply and demand. Simple as that. Cheers.

Ken