tioloko100
Topic Author

Airline Tells Man He's 'too Fat To Fly'

Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:16 am

Come on guys! there are many ways you can professionally manage the situation instead of dropping the F word to an airline passenger, when flying an airline an staying in a hotel customers expect to be treated with respect not with rude responses.

http://flyingactive.com/content/221-...ne-tells-man-he-s-too-fat-fly.html

[Edited 2013-11-07 22:46:42]

drew777

RE: Airline Tells Man He's 'too Fat To Fly'

Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:27 am

There is no quotation in the article where British Airways called the customer fat. That appears to be paraphrasing by The West Australia newspaper.

OB1504

Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:28 am

The article is paraphrasing. I highly doubt any airline employee or vendor used the word "fat" in this situation.

tioloko100
Topic Author

Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:29 am

Quoting OB1504 (Reply 2):
I highly doubt any airline employee or vendor used the word "fat" in this situation.

I thought so in the beginning but nothing is impossible

EA CO AS

Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:45 am

Quoting tioloko100 (Thread starter):
Common guys!

I think you mean "Come on" and not common.

there are many ways you can professionally manage the situation

Why do you automatically assume this wasn't handled professionally? The light-on-details article says BA denied boarding due to safety; as a pilot I'd imagine you can understand that.

dropping the F word to an airline passenger

Where does it say anyone said "f**k" to him?  

Seriously though, at no point in the article is there mention of the word "fat" allegedly said to the customer.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

tioloko100
Topic Author

Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:48 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 4):
Where does it say anyone said "f**k" to him?

F**K is not the only F word ,F*T is also an F word.

Q

Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:19 am

What you need to do is? Bring Learjet medical operation service. Airline is stupid or doing wrong.

Q

Doona

Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:22 am

Quoting tioloko100 (Reply 5):

Are we now not using any words beginning with "F"? I thought the word game threads were supposed to be in non-av...

Excuse me, I need to go and be f*bulous.

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

speedbird128

Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:40 am

Quoting Doona (Reply 7):

F*ne. If that's your desire LOL!

dropping the F word

Having read the article I believe this is the newspaper using their sensationalist tactics again by paraphrasing. In other words, they are putting statements in the mouths of people that never said them.

I do agree, however, that having flown over on BA and not being allowed on for the return trip is interesting. Did he put on significant weight while being in the USA? Or did anything else change that caused BA to have to turn him down? There is often more to a reported story than just the paraphrased bits.
A306, A313, A319, A320, A321, A332, A343, A345, A346 A388, AC90, B06, B722, B732, B733, B735, B738, B744, B762, B772, B7

Type-Rated

Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:49 am

The article does say that he needs oxygen full time and it appears that he is wheel chair bound too. Anyone who needs oxygen knows what a pain it is to order oxygen from an airline before you fly. And it's $$$$ too.

I think BA is just trying to limit their liability and not have this guy die on one of their flights.

If this family doesn't have any money, how can they take a train to NY and then get on the QM 2? That takes major bucks to do!
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

EA CO AS

Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:00 am

Quoting tioloko100 (Reply 5):
Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 4):Where does it say anyone said "f**k" to him?

So when I discuss the fat content of a particular food, I need to refer to it as the "F-word content" so as to not offend?

Seriously?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

PanHAM

Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:38 am

shipping him as freight would present some problems, such as the DG form for the Oxygen and the wheelchair, but he could drive himself on a 125" flat ....

OK, , not a serious solution but this guy might not fit through a regular door, what happens in case there is an emergency, such things have to be considered ....
powered by Eierlikör

Superfly

Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:01 am

I read this article earlier and these news outlets are so full of it! British Airways did what they had to do. It would be totally impractical for him to fly and carry all necessary medical equipment to keep him breathing throughout the flight. I really feel bad for the poor guy and hope he is able to recover or at least contain his illness.

The REAL question is, why isn't he getting medical treatment by the wonderful government run healthcare in his home country?   

BTW, I used the 'F' word 4 times.  
Quoting Doona (Reply 7):
Excuse me, I need to go and be f*bulous.

Common guys!

I think you mean "Come on" and not common.

Not sure if I should be posting then. I'm not common.   
Bring back the Concorde

XFSUgimpLB41X

Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:24 am

Ok, if he needs oxygen, can't move on his own, and can barely fit through the main door (and as a consequence completely blocking the row he's taking up): let's explore the consequences of that in an emergency evac situation. Should others need to die because he has some divine right to partake in the miracle of flight?
Chicks dig winglets.

bennett123

Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:25 am

Would be interesting to know what his weight/size were on the outbound trip.

Also, has the size/weight of the equipment that he requires changed.

Finally, was BA advised in advance of his size issues.

cedarjet

Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:19 am

I don't even see why the word "fat" is offensive. If you need help breathing and can't fit through a door, you are, beyond question, fat. If this guy or anyone else is offended by it, get on the treadmill and fix it. Their lack of self-control does not mean they're entitled to endanger (at worst - by blocking an aisle or exit) or inconvenience (at least - by spilling into someone else's personal space) others.

Personally, if a real fatty sat next to me on a flight of more than an hour, and was taking all the armrest or otherwise infringing my space, I would get up and ask them to be reseated. It might be a bit embarrassing for the fatty but sorry, shouldn't have gone back up for a third helping at the buffet. Or, feel free to have a third, fourth and fifth helping, but don't make me pick up the tab.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

CRJ900

Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:21 am

Quoting Speedbird128 (Reply 8):
Did he put on significant weight while being in the USA?

You'll be surprised what $9,99 All-you-can-eat buffets can do to you.

When I lived in Australia I experienced a situation with McCafferty's Coaches, one huge guy was trying to board the bus for ever so long but just couldn't get through the door, it ended with the driver saying: "look, mate, you're just to big and we have to go now". So the big guy stood there with his suitcase as we drove off, wonder if he found alternative transport.

I find BA staff to be very professional and discrete, and I doubt they called him fat to his face. Behind the scenes, yes, but not to him.
Come, fly the prevailing winds with me

jcwr56

Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:35 am

I'll throw this out there and I saw the guy within the terminal.

Too big to sit in a First class seat
Too big to walk between aisles of the plane
Too big to walk up a set of stairs to have him access the last row of economy. Physically, I just couldnt see him doing it even if he was asked.
Too big to fit in a help vehicle which are used for wheel chairs.
TSA was even trying to figure out how they'd get him patted down without making a scene.

I understand the where the guy is coming from, but the picture in the article does not accurately reflect how large this was guy.

BA was put in a very awkard position.

Superfly

Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:42 am

Quoting cedarjet (Reply 15):
If this guy or anyone else is offended by it, get on the treadmill and fix it. Their lack of self-control does not mean they're entitled to endanger
Quoting CRJ900 (Reply 16):

That's why it's best to verify these stories from a another legitimate news source to get the full story.

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-...ritish-airways-20131108-2x5ix.html

From the article;

"Kevin Chenais, 22, spent a year and a half at the Mayo Clinic for treatment of a hormone disorder which led him to weigh more than 220 kilograms.

Again, I'd like to know why he couldn't get treated in his home country that has such a wonderful government ran healthcare system that liberals like to brag about.

Quoting CRJ900 (Reply 16):

Or pay $39,99 for the same crap in Europe.
Bring back the Concorde

seahawk

Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:03 am

He is too fat. That is a fact and no insult.

offloaded

Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:33 am

The articles stated that he flew there on BA, so they got him there but refused to fly him back. Unless he actually put on weight at the clinic, what else changed?
To no one will we sell, or deny, or delay, right or justice - Magna Carta, 1215

EA CO AS

Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:36 am

Quoting seahawk (Reply 19):
He is too fat. That is a fact and no insult.

I think you mean f*t, right?  

mad99

Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:11 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 18):
why he couldn't get treated in his home country

due to his size so they sent him to the experts.
he had no issues flying inside the usa, 220kg isn't that big in some parts of the usa

AyostoLeon

Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:26 pm

@ I think you mean f*t, right?
No, can't be. BA isn't part of *alliance.  

The passenger spent 18 months in the US and a lot can happen in that time, including changes in fitness for travel. The article does not say what the condition of the passenger was before travel to the US. Might his condition have deteriorated during his stay?
The person with no dignity eats his dinner twice

bennett123

Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:26 pm

220KG sounds scary to me.

jsfr

Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:27 pm

Again, I'd like to know why he couldn't get treated in his home country that has such a wonderful government ran healthcare system that liberals like to brag about.

I've just seen a news report on this incident here in France. Both the affected person and his mother were interviewed. They might live in France, and the mother seems to have a French family name, however, they are definitely not of French origins (before any nasty accusationns flow this comment is based on lack of French language skills and accent, nothing else).

The report gave a better look at the guy than the original photo, he is basically bed stricken and indeed I cannot see how he could possibly travel on a non-medicalised plane.

bennett123

Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:39 pm

The other part is that they plan to take the train to New York and then sail to England on the QM2.

Firstly, they say that they are out of money, so who is paying for this.

Secondly, the fact that they are going by sea presumably means that no other airline can take them.

Finally, is the QM2 the only ship sailing to the UK. Which is curious in itself, as I thought that they were French.

PanHAM

Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:48 pm

The QM2 is in Hamburg on Sunday so they have about a week to make it to NY. They will have some fun on Amtrak as well. May be they better rent a van with a large rear door and a ramp. But, if he can't fit through a door, how will he get into a ship's cabin?

If they are out of Money the French consulate must help with a loan.

powered by Eierlikör

bthebest

Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:04 pm

Quoting AyostoLeon (Reply 23):
The passenger spent 18 months in the US and a lot can happen in that time

Did BA have an equipment change? Could he have been accomodated on a 747 as opposed to a 777 fir example? Not that I would expect an airline to change the aircraft to accomodate a passenger.

Could BA - not that they would, PR nightmare - sue the family for slander? or the news outlet for libel?

Superfly

Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:18 pm

Quoting jsfr (Reply 25):
I've just seen a news report on this incident here in France. Both the affected person and his mother were interviewed. They might live in France, and the mother seems to have a French family name, however, they are definitely not of French origins (before any nasty accusationns flow this comment is based on lack of French language skills and accent, nothing else).

They are still French citizens and French taxpayers. Therefore qualify for the wonderful government healthcare system you have. Doesn't matter what their ethnicity is.

Quoting offloaded (Reply 20):
Unless he actually put on weight at the clinic, what else changed?

You need to read the full story. The link by the OP is weak sensationalist tripe.
This source better explains it.

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-...ritish-airways-20131108-2x5ix.html

Quoting jsfr (Reply 25):
he is basically bed stricken and indeed I cannot see how he could possibly travel on a non-medicalised plane.

I was thinking the same. What airline or company provides this?
Bring back the Concorde

jsfr

Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:28 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 29):
I was thinking the same. What airline or company provides this?

I've seen this once on AF, on a A321, the last three rows ABC seats were folded forwards and a stretcher placed on top, a curtain was in place for the patient's privacy and I think there were all sorts of medical apparatus setup.

If the guy is living in French (rather than just using the French social security system) why is he flying BA rather than AF anyway?

speedbird128

Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:31 pm

Quoting Speedbird128 (Reply 8):
Did he put on significant weight while being in the USA?
full story.
full story

Yes - you are right about the full story. He significantly altered his physical composition - there, I didn't even mention the f*t word - during his time at the clinic.

And now its all BA's fault. People are unbelievable. If he cannot evecuate himself or will hinder those others trying to evacuate themselves, of course it would hinder his likelihood of being allowed on board.

Edit: Grammar

[Edited 2013-11-08 06:11:45]
A306, A313, A319, A320, A321, A332, A343, A345, A346 A388, AC90, B06, B722, B732, B733, B735, B738, B744, B762, B772, B7

jcwr56

Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:04 pm

Quoting mad99 (Reply 22):
why he couldn't get treated in his home country

due to his size so they sent him to the experts.
he had no issues flying inside the usa, 220kg isn't that big in some parts of the usa

In Chicago, this hadn't made the local news and some of the local stations thrive on stories like this.

kgaiflyer

Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:05 pm

Why do you automatically assume this wasn't handled professionally? The light-on-details article says BA denied boarding due to safety; as a pilot I'd imagine you can understand that.

This guy has a multiplicity of problems and needs a medical ambulance airlift -- not British Airways.

Also, RST (where Mayo Clinic is located) is only served with CR2 and E140 aircraft.

Superfly

Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:11 pm

Quoting jsfr (Reply 30):
I've seen this once on AF, on a A321, the last three rows ABC seats were folded forwards and a stretcher placed on top, a curtain was in place for the patient's privacy and I think there were all sorts of medical apparatus setup.

Interesting.
I wonder if he could have fit in to a Emirates Suite on their A380. Besides the point since it doesn't fly this route.

Quoting Speedbird128 (Reply 31):
He significantly altered his physical composition

Didn't sound like it was by choice. He obviously has a serious medical condition. He is only 22 years old, he should be in good health and hooking up with girls. He can't do that with this condition.

Quoting Speedbird128 (Reply 31):
And now its all BA's fault. People are unbelievable. If he cannot evecuate himself or will hinder those others trying to evacuate themselves, of course it would hinder his likelihood of being allowed on board.

Agreed. The press can be some disgusting people and totally misrepresented the story.
Bring back the Concorde

speedbird128

Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:14 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 34):
Didn't sound like it was by choice.

Sorry- I did not mean to imply that he did by choice. For whatever reason, his size changed significantly.

Markam

Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:19 pm

"CBS Chicago reports that Kevin Chenais, who weighs more than 225kg - had been treated at the famed Mayo Clinic for a year for a hormone disorder and was due to return home to France."

He could fly BA on his way to the US without trouble, but he then was too overweight to fly back to the UK one year later? That must have been a hell of a successful hormone disorder treatment! Good job, Mayo Clinic!   

[Edited 2013-11-08 06:20:44]

lightsaber
Crew

Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:26 pm

Time to implement Air Semoa's policy of charging by weight:
Earlier this year, Samoa Air became the first airline to start charging passengers by their weight. When booking, customers are asked to enter their details, including the weight of passengers, and the fare is calculated accordingly. They are then weighed at the airport to ensure they have paid the correct amount."
http://metro.co.uk/2013/11/06/too-fa...n-any-weight-loss-gimmick-4176442/

Above link a story of another couple who was also denied flight privileges due to weight (weight balance issues on a smaller plane).

Note: Airline seats are not safe above 275lbm (125kg). Their certified range is 75lbm to 275lbm. One cannot keep safe a 75lbm person in a seat designed to hold more than 275lbm (there just won't be enough spring 'cushion' for the 75lbm person in a 9G crash if seats are made for a heavier person, e.g., look how well the seats did for OZ at SFO).

It sounds as if the individual's situation changed medically during his stay in the USA. Or as a French citizen he could be accommodated on AF...

My sister did her fellowship at the Mayo, let me see if she knows anyone who knows more (however, it is very likely they won't talk).

Quoting drew777 (Reply 1):
That appears to be paraphrasing by The West Australia newspaper.

Yep...

Quoting XFSUgimpLB41X (Reply 13):

Ok, if he needs oxygen, can't move on his own, and can barely fit through the main door (and as a consequence completely blocking the row he's taking up): let's explore the consequences of that in an emergency evac situation. Should others need to die because he has some divine right to partake in the miracle of flight?

Exactly. Or maybe his condition changed enough he was far less mobile. One of the other photos I saw have him in a mobile wheelchair like device. If he is that heavy and not mobile, is there a rule that applies? Or a

You need to read the full story.

I would like to know a lot more than any link provided. BA was professional and didn't say much. Has anything else leaked?

Quoting jsfr (Reply 25):
The report gave a better look at the guy than the original photo, he is basically bed stricken and indeed I cannot see how he could possibly travel on a non-medicalised plane.

If that is the case, that is the case. I don't see the need to sensationalize.

Quoting bennett123 (Reply 26):
Secondly, the fact that they are going by sea presumably means that no other airline can take them.

If this was an issue, another airline would fly the person and BA should be help accountable for the costs. But if the person cannot safely be flown, the QE2 would be a *very* nice way to make it to Europe. I have a few friends afraid of flying (ironic eh?) who regularly travel to Europe via train/bus and the QE2. They love it.

Lightsaber
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!" - Mark Twain

bennett123

Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:51 pm

The point is that the decision that he was too big to fly was not just BA's, no other airline will take him either.

prosa

Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:05 pm

Here is a fairly balanced analysis of the situation on the Outside the Beltway political forum:
http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/sic...too-fat-to-fly-on-british-airways/
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

CRJ900

Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:26 pm

Again, I'd like to know why he couldn't get treated in his home country that has such a wonderful government ran healthcare system that liberals like to brag about

A friend of mine was sent to "f*t camp" when his weight reached 140kg and my wonderful government-run healthcare system payed for the whole stay. Two years later he weighs 90kg and looks and feels great.

I was told that treating overweight up until 150kg is quite manageable, but when patients are 150-300kg they are often so worn out physically and mentally that it is a huge task and takes a long time. So patients are sent off to camp before they become too big, apparently.
Come, fly the prevailing winds with me

TYCOON

Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:39 pm

Superfly, with all due respect, your comments about French healthcare are just plain obnoxious.
Yes it is true that France invariably ranks #1 in quality of healthcare in the world for a number of years now... But that is beside the point.
Often, the Mayo Clinic, and others, try new or unverified remedies for particular problems. It could simply be that the treatment the Mayo Clinic was offering to address this person's ailments has just not (yet) been authorised in France or remains controversial locally. End of story.
I've been operated on, spent time (luckily not that often, I assure you) in hospitals on both sides of the Atlantic (France and U.S.)... and yes, France blows away the kind of medical care any average citizen can get in the U.S., for considerably cheaper as well (not even to discuss the cost of prescription drugs). And I never have to wait to see my doctor in France (contrary to what right-wing zealots would have people believe).
Any how, back to the story, I feel sorry for the family, but I can understand BA's position. It would appear he put on this excessive weight after he was flown over and followed the Mayo Clinic treatment.

billreid

Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:08 pm

Regardless of his weight before entering the USA it appears BA did what it could. I however would be a safety violation to over stress seats with a 500 pound weight.
Based on all reports not mentioning his weight when he first travelled it appears BA is in the right.
Over stressing anything in an aircraft is a violation of rules. We cannot draw any exception lines on any regulations. Breaking safety rules is 0% tolerable! end of story.

If this guy flew over a year ago he had to fly over LHR on a narrow body with a 29" pitch before taking the wide body. So where do you put a 500lb guy on a BA B737? Unless he took rail to Heathrow, and if he did that with transfers in London he never would have survived the trip at 500lbs. I've don that multiple times and the rail connections are a killer!

The real question was why didn't he get the medical care in France or the UK?
Maybe the Affordable Health Care Act website crashed so he decided to go home to use a Really Affordable Health France doctor named Clouseau (inspector's son).
Some people don't get it. Business is about making MONEY!

nomadd22

Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:22 pm

Three different versions now all quote the mother as implying she expected to fly economy, and can't understand why they couldn't take him home the same way they bought him over, even though he doubled in weight.
Anon

PanHAM

Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:26 pm

Quoting billreid (Reply 42):
So where do you put a 500lb guy on a BA B737

I can't resist the old joke:

Anywhere he wants....