knope2001
Topic Author

DL/MEM Cut Details, Including BOS And DCA

Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:55 am

The most recent DL MEM Cuts thread won't allow posts, but it looks like the are finally loaded now. The initial cuts loaded included CMH, BNA, MKE and SDF drops but they didn't get down to the 44/day states until recently.

Here are some notable additional cuts beyond those already noted:

MEM-BOS ends
MEM-LGA decreases to 1x
MEM-CVG decreases from 3x to 1x
MEM-DCA either decreases to 1x (per website) or ends complete (per online timetable)

These cuts all take place after the holidays. With these additional changes MEM gets down to the originally-stated 44/day, or actually 43/day if the MEM-DCA cut loaded to the online timetable is accurate and ahead of the website. Here's a breakdown, comparing this Monday to the first Monday after the new schedule takes effect in January:

11 --> 8 ….. atl
1 --> 1 ….. aus
1 --> 0 ….. bna
1 --> 0 ….. bos
3 --> 2 ….. clt
1 --> 0 ….. cmh
3 --> 1 ….. cvg
2 --> 0 ….. dca (per online timetable -- website shows 1+)
1 --> 1 ….. den
2 --> 2 ….. dfw
6 --> 3 ….. dtw
2 --> 2 ….. iah
2 --> 2 ….. ind
1 --> 1 ….. las
2 --> 1 ….. lax
3 --> 1 ….. lga
1 --> 1 ….. mci
1 --> 1 ….. mco
1 --> 0 ….. mke
3 --> 3 ….. msp
3 --> 2 ….. msy
3 --> 3 ….. ord
2 --> 1 ….. phl
2 --> 2 ….. pit
1 --> 1 ….. rdu
1 --> 1 ….. sat
1 --> 0 ….. sdf
3 --> 2 ….. slc
1 --> 1 ….. tpa
65 .. 43.... total (44 if MEM-DCA is not dropped)

Breakdown for November
22 mainline
17 large RJ
26 50-seat RJ

Breakdown for January post-holiday
16 mainline
7 large RJ
19 50-seat RJ

Sad to say for Memphis but this is worse than what I think people expected. The proportion of 50-seat RJ's is higher in the January schedule (44% of all departures) than November (40% of all departures). Memphis loses Boston, sees LaGuardia drop to 1x CR9, sees Philadelphia drop to 1x CR9, and sees DCA drop to 1x CR9 or end entirely. When it comes to the non-hub flying left, most everything is 50-seat RJs. O'Hare has 1x CR9 and 2x CRJ, but all of the other regional markets are 1 or 2 50-seat RJ's. Those seem to be the most vulnerable. That Memphis would have a *higher* portion of 50-seat RJ's is not exactly a sign cuts are over.

steex

RE: DL/MEM Cut Details, Including BOS And DCA

Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:16 am

Quoting knope2001 (Thread starter):

11 --> 8 ….. atl ..... 8
3 --> 1 ….. cvg ..... 3
6 --> 3 ….. dtw ..... 5
3 --> 1 ….. lga ..... 4 + 1 JFK
3 --> 3 ….. msp ..... 5
3 --> 2 ….. slc ..... 2

These are the ones most surprising to me; even with service reductions, I didn't think we'd so quickly see the day where an airport like STL would have more service to DL hubs than MEM does (for sake of comparison, I've inserted STL frequencies in bold above). I understand that it does still have non-stop service to some key markets, directing some would-be connecting traffic away from the hubs unlike what occurs at other spokes, but it's a bit unexpected to see spokes pulled down so aggressively while also reducing the connecting opportunities at the hubs.

SLCUT2777

Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:17 am

Sad to say for Memphis but this is worse than what I think people expected.

CVG is next on the chopping block I have a feeling...
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

knope2001
Topic Author

Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:37 am

Quoting SLCUT2777 (Reply 2):
CVG is next on the chopping block I have a feeling...

FYI I checked what's currently on the desktop schedule to see if any new cuts showed up for CVG and nothing really sticks out. But CVG is still heavily 50-seat RJ's...more than 60% of total. So far everything seems status quo.

aerorobnz

Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:01 am

when I was spotting at MEM it was pretty dead really. Sad, but thank goodness for FX.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

CIDFlyer

Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:25 am

such a shame   I'm sure in a years time a lot of those spoke cities will be gone and all that will be left will be hubs, LAX and maybe MCO. I'm surprised they cut it down pretty quick from the originally de-hubbing in Sept. Perhaps maybe if they would have banked some of those flights a little better to allow for connections it might have worked.

PHX787

Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:00 am

Quoting knope2001 (Reply 3):
FYI I checked what's currently on the desktop schedule to see if any new cuts showed up for CVG and nothing really sticks out. But CVG is still heavily 50-seat RJ's...more than 60% of total. So far everything seems status quo.

Some of the gossip going around is most of that will eventually switch over to larger RJs, which will indeed mean a lower frequency of service, but from what I can understand, we won't suffer so much of a catastrophic blow as MEM has....for the time being.

If the economy remains sluggish, if fuel prices skyrocket out of control, I'll give CVG another 3 or 4 years as a hub....but if the US economy improves, if CVG indeed becomes a revitalized town (as it is slowly becoming), if the new service by other airlines drives competition by DL, we may see CVG make a resurgence. But in all realities, right now no one knows the future. We can only go off of how well they're doing right now--and they seem pretty good.
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

strfyr51

Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:15 am

does anybody notice that the ONLY places being maintained seem to be major points where either UPS, DHL or FEDEX have larger operations??

midway7

Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:46 pm

Just curious - why is ORD staying at 3 a day? Not to say it is bad, but it stands out when most other destinations are being reduced much further or eliminated.

jfklganyc

Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:29 pm

Shocked LGA is 1x a day. They fly to tiny towns more than that from LGA. Would think 2 or 3 a day would remain.

seatback

Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:53 pm

It's surprising to see that service to other airline hub markets (DFW and CLT) are holding steady. You'd think those routes would be the first to go...especially CLT.

Also, I would expect markets like DEN, PIT, SAT, IND to be entirely cut at some point in the near future.

JFKL1011

Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:11 pm

Quoting strfyr51 (Reply 7):
does anybody notice that the ONLY places being maintained seem to be major points where either UPS, DHL or FEDEX have larger operations??

I dont follow....SDF, which is the 5X worldport is down to zero. Other than that, the only major 5X ops are DFW, PHL, ONT, RFD and CAE.

Outside of MEM, FX has major ops at EWR, IND, OAK, MIA and AFW.

And DHL contracts all of its US ops to GB and PO.

So where is this "maintaining" that you speak of???
So many places to fly and increasingly so few interesting aircraft to get there on.

redtailmsp

Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:24 pm

What I find most shocking is that MEM-ATL is being reduced from 11 to 8 daily. This is at the same time as Air Tran cancel their 4 daily flights in this market, leaving DL as a monopoly in this market. I travel this route frequently on DL, and see a healthy local market, with many business travelers. DL would scoop up whatever local traffic Air Tran has, as well as a fair proportion of their connecting traffic - yet here we see basically a reduction of 450 seats in each direction on a daily basis. I would have expected at the very least a maintaining of the frequency, not a significant reduction. At the same time, I see a reduction is flights to other DL hubs - DTW / SLC /LGA. To me, this all demonstrates how weak the MEM market really is, with the apparant result that DL appears disinterested in maintaining market share there.

threeifbyair

Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:56 pm

Wonder where the DCA slots will end up. I'm not sure we need more DCA-ATL flights but with the slot swap DL has axed most of the P2P flying at DCA, so I suspect it will be a hub route.

US is probably pretty happy to be running DL off of a DCA route.

enilria

Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:02 pm

Quoting redtailmsp (Reply 12):
What I find most shocking is that MEM-ATL is being reduced from 11 to 8 daily. This is at the same time as Air Tran cancel their 4 daily flights in this market, leaving DL as a monopoly in this market.

Not shocking at all. DL always reduces service when competition goes away. UA/AA do the same thing.

EXMEMWIDGET

Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:26 pm

It is sad to see my old hometown's airline service shrinking down this much. In a few years as far as DL is concerned, MEM will probably only have service to it's hubs and maybe a token amount of service to places like LAX, LGA, DCA and MCO.

CosmicCruiser

Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:28 pm

Quoting strfyr51 (Reply 7):

??? It doesn't get much bigger than FDX MEM.

Sadly for MEM they just finished a huge new parking garage.

cosyr

Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:02 pm

11 --> 8 ….. atl
1 --> 1 ….. aus
1 --> 0 ….. bna
1 --> 0 ….. bos
3 --> 2 ….. clt
1 --> 0 ….. cmh
3 --> 1 ….. cvg
1 --> 1 ….. den
2 --> 2 ….. dfw
6 --> 3 ….. dtw
2 --> 2 ….. iah
2 --> 2 ….. ind
1 --> 1 ….. las
2 --> 1 ….. lax
3 --> 1 ….. lga
1 --> 1 ….. mci
1 --> 1 ….. mco
1 --> 0 ….. mke
3 --> 3 ….. msp
3 --> 2 ….. msy
3 --> 3 ….. ord
2 --> 1 ….. phl
2 --> 2 ….. pit
1 --> 1 ….. rdu
1 --> 1 ….. sat
1 --> 0 ….. sdf
3 --> 2 ….. slc
1 --> 1 ….. tpa
65 .. 43.... total (44 if MEM-DCA is not dropped)

So then, my predictions for what will happen in the next 6 months to year. Without connections, some of these routes cannot survive.
1 --> 0 ….. aus
1 --> 0 ….. bna
1 --> 0 ….. bos
3 --> 0 ….. clt
1 --> 0 ….. cmh
3 --> 1 ….. cvg
1 --> 0 ….. den
2 --> 0 ….. dfw
6 --> 3 ….. dtw
2 --> 0 ….. iah
2 --> 0 ….. ind
1 --> 1 ….. las
2 --> 1 ….. lax
3 --> 1 ….. lga
1 --> 0 ….. mci
1 --> 1 ….. mco
1 --> 0 ….. mke
3 --> 3 ….. msp
3 --> 2 ….. msy
3 --> 0 ….. ord
2 --> 0 ….. phl
2 --> 0 ….. pit
1 --> 0 ….. rdu
1 --> 0 ….. sat
1 --> 0 ….. sdf
3 --> 2 ….. slc
1 --> 1 ….. tpa
65 .. 24.... total (25 if MEM-DCA is not dropped)

And I think that is being generous. LAS, MCO, TPA and LAX might have some niche O&D traffic, but seems better served by a WN or F9 trying to start a new focus city. The only thing DL has to offer is legacy frequent flyers, and maybe a few corporate contracts, that will probably be looking to get out of those contracts now. 24 flights can hardly even be one of their biggest outstations!

EricR

Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:11 pm

Quoting CosmicCruiser (Reply 16):

Sadly for MEM they just finished a huge new parking garage.

How does DL's reduction of the MEM hub have any impact on the new garage? The O&D at MEM is still there and the connecting traffic which MEM is losing did not use the garage.

seatback

Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:14 pm

What's the future look like for the MEM SkyClub?

lhcvg

Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:21 pm

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 6):

CVG is mostly status quo now because they've already been axed pretty sharply. I would be a bit surprised if we see any more huge cutbacks at CVG, because at this point they've pretty much got it to where they need it -- more or less right-sized to a self-sustaining level. The hub days are long gone, but it's now in a "long-run equilibrium"-type state for DL, and the only change I'd wager will be what PHX mentions about the eventual/gradual shift to mostly large RJs as they continue to dump 50-seaters.

In short, I'd doubt very strongly that DL has anything currently going on at CVG that doesn't somehow earn it's keep anymore, so major future cuts are less likely than say this new round at MEM.

jfklganyc

Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:09 pm

You like CVG...even if you dont realize it you have a slight bias

CVG will lose all flights to non hubs over the next decade.

Matter of time ... especially with 50 seaters going away.

Sad but likely true

SESGDL

Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:27 pm

Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 21):

Sad but likely true

You have no idea what will happen at CVG over the next decade. DL has shown no indication that CVG is not operating optimally, it actually has seen some increases in service recently. CVG and MEM are very different markets; CVG is a considerably larger and higher yielding market, and has a much stronger business community than MEM ever has.

Jeremy

SELMER40

Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:33 pm

Quoting EricR (Reply 18):
The O&D at MEM is still there...

Sadly the O&D at MEM isn't great. Recently the US Census Bureau ranked Memphis as the poorest large metro area in the United States.
Teaching this old dog a new trick

pit

Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:54 pm

Quoting steex (Reply 1):

11 --> 8 ….. atl ..... 8
3 --> 1 ….. cvg ..... 3
6 --> 3 ….. dtw ..... 5
3 --> 1 ….. lga ..... 4 + 1 JFK
3 --> 3 ….. msp ..... 5
3 --> 2 ….. slc ..... 2

These are the ones most surprising to me; even with service reductions, I didn't think we'd so quickly see the day where an airport like STL would have more service to DL hubs than MEM does (for sake of comparison, I've inserted STL frequencies in bold above). I understand that it does still have non-stop service to some key markets, directing some would-be connecting traffic away from the hubs unlike what occurs at other spokes, but it's a bit unexpected to see spokes pulled down so aggressively while also reducing the connecting opportunities at the hubs.

Cities like PIT, STL, RDU etc.. will have more/better DL service than MEM. Its a sad sight.
PIT frequencies below for the heck of it..
atl 8D
lga 7D
dtw 5D
msp 4D
jfk 3D
cvg 3D
mem 2D (suprising to see it stay)
Total 32D

nas 1W Seasonally
puj 1W Seasonally
cdg 1D Seasonally

adamh8297

Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:58 pm

Quoting SELMER40 (Reply 23):
Sadly the O&D at MEM isn't great.

There's a good chance that one BOS flight was supported by the remaining connections available. I doubt B6 or WN starts BOS-MEM as a result of these cuts

Quoting SESGDL (Reply 22):
CVG is a considerably larger and higher yielding market, and has a much stronger business community than MEM ever has.

CVG has a bigger CSA (2.1 million vs 1.3 million).

CVG-BOS for Q1 2013 was 152 PDEW
MEM-BOS for Q1 2013 was 74 PDEW

I'm not going to speculate what DL will do with CVG. However, if what was done in MEM is done in CVG, at a minimum B6 is coming in with BOS/FLL/MCO, WN comes in with BWI/STL/MDW/BNA/DEN and seasonal PHX, and UA starts SFO at least seasonally.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AM, BA, B6, CO, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WN

lhcvg

Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:01 pm

You like CVG...even if you dont realize it you have a slight bias

Sad but likely true

I beg to differ - at this stage, the vast majority of flights can be explained by

1) DL hubs/focus cities/key business markets
2) local business O&D
3) leisure/VFR O&D where they have a monopoly so it's viable for DL to keep with no WN/B6/NK to challenge them (e.g., MCO, TPA, etc.)

I'm not saying--at all--that CVG may not lose additional service. However, when you look at the routes currently left at CVG, they mostly fall into one or more of those categories. Even if particular routes aren't necessarily cash cows, they serve some purpose for DL that works for them. So no, I do not think there will be massive future cuts, mostly tweaking and further right-sizing of frequencies vs. seat counts as more 50's leave the fleet.

TheGov

Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:25 pm

Quoting threeifbyair (Reply 13):
US is probably pretty happy to be running DL off of a DCA route.

There was speculation and concern that US would drop this route if the locals didn't support it. If DL does drop MEM-DCA totally, I'm sure this route will stay with US as it instantly becomes a monopoly. They only point of concern I would have with this route would be if the US/AA merger negotiations with the DOT require the elimination of some DCA slots by the combined airline. If the traffic is weak, US/AA could drop this route/slot for a more profitable city pair.

As for the reduction in MEM-ATL flying, one could only hope that, with the reduction of 3 trips, the aircraft would be up-gauged to maybe a 757 during peak hours to keep the seat numbers the same. The more realistic person in me expects almost every trip to be with the 717 or similar aircraft.

My guess is that DL is looking long term at the impact of WN on the MEM market. It would appear as though DL is (eagerly) conceding defeat in MEM and opting to use the aircraft that become available for more profitable routes. Although the 3 x daily to ORD is a little odd since WN just started MEM-MDW.

As others have said, I am sure that this is not the last cut MEM will see. Maybe the next to last, but not last.
Always a pallbearer, never a corpse.

psa1011

Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:55 pm

What about MEM-SEA? I thought was a route that DL was bringing back.

FlyASAGuy2005

Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:25 pm

My prediction of the ultimate fate of MEM. What's on the left is what's currently being loaded and what's on the right is what I think will eventually happen.

8 --> 10 ….. atl
1 --> 0 ….. aus
2 --> 0 ….. clt
1 --> 2 ….. cvg
1 --> 0 ….. den
2 --> 0 ….. dfw
3 --> 4 ….. dtw
2 --> 0 ….. iah
2 --> 0 ….. ind
1 --> 0 ….. las
1 --> 1 ….. lax
1 --> 1 ….. lga
1 --> 0 ….. mci
1 --> 1 ….. mco (seasonal)
3 --> 4 ….. msp
2 --> 0 ….. msy
3 --> 0 ….. ord
1 --> 0 ….. phl
2 --> 0 ….. pit
1 --> 0 ….. rdu
1 --> 0 ….. sat
2 --> 3 ….. slc
1 --> 0 ….. tpa
43 .. 26.... total
What gets measured gets done.

Indy

Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:05 pm

Quoting seatback (Reply 10):
Also, I would expect markets like DEN, PIT, SAT, IND to be entirely cut at some point in the near future.

I see no way in the world that MEM-IND as DL route still exists by this time next year. The only flight on that route will be FX.

Edit: Let me just add that the only way this route might stay is a 1x daily 50 seater subsidized by Fedex as a shuttle service. And I'm not sure FX would even do such a thing.

[Edited 2013-11-10 13:08:11]
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

Alsatian

Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:47 pm

Quoting psa1011 (Reply 28):
What about MEM-SEA? I thought was a route that DL was bringing back.

I was also wondering if that route could be re-launched considering DL's build up at SEA. But given that even NYC will be reduced to a single daily CR9 flight, I can hardly believe it.
Ok I am French but I am not on strike

Cubsrule

Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:06 pm

Quoting adamh8297 (Reply 25):
There's a good chance that one BOS flight was supported by the remaining connections available. I doubt B6 or WN starts BOS-MEM as a result of these cuts

MEM-BOS has never had that much capacity. NW ran 50 seaters on it for much of the 2000s. It's a long flight without much O&D. BNA--which is similarly located but has a much stronger O&D market--has historically struggled to retain BOS service, and the current service on WN has plenty of connections propping it up.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

capitalflyer

Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:55 pm

Quoting threeifbyair (Reply 13):
Wonder where the DCA slots will end up.

My guess would be DTW. They already have hourly service to ATL, and the time of the MEM flight (6pm) would be a great time to add a flight to DTW. They currently have one during 5pm hour and 7pm hour. This would be the least complicated, wouldn't have to go to DOT to ask to change the time of the slot. They could even use the same equipment if they wanted (CR7).

slcdeltarumd11

Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:40 am

It is truly amazing that LGA-MEM can only handle 1x daily and JFK can handle 0x daily. Amazing when you consider how many cities support like 2x and 3x to LGA that Delta isn't even strong in. Two cities where Delta has strong bases of FFs there cant be too much business demand or people not willing to connect for the lowest price.

The cities holding on at this point there must be some business o&d and last minute bookers to keep them worth flying. I do think CVG is next and more MEM as they retire more and more high per seat cost RJs.

airliner371

Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:46 am

I would not be surprised if in the next 2-3 years WN is larger at MEM than DL.

pwm2txlhopper

Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:37 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 32):
Quoting adamh8297 (Reply 25):

MEM-BOS has never had that much capacity. NW ran 50 seaters on it for much of the 2000s

When I use to fly this route in the 1990s, it was usually on a NW 757. Also rode my first A320 on the route in 1993.

knope2001
Topic Author

Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:53 pm

The weekly OAG thread shows MEM-DCA as going to 0, so that supports what the online timetable says.

incitatus

Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:36 pm

Quoting slcdeltarumd11 (Reply 34):
It is truly amazing that LGA-MEM can only handle 1x daily and JFK can handle 0x daily.

All it takes is AA to announce LGA-MEM once a day and DL will up it to 4 x.
Stop pop up ads

Flaps

Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:57 pm

The reason that cities like PIT and IND have and will continue to remain out of MEM is stated above somewhere. These cities have very large FedEx operations (IND major hub and PIT is the headquarters for FedEx Ground). There is strong O&D on these routes and absent FedEx starting their own corporate shuttle or WN taking an interest (neither of which is likely) DL will maintain these flights.

compensateme

Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:59 pm

Quoting Flaps (Reply 39):
The reason that cities like PIT and IND have and will continue to remain out of MEM is stated above somewhere. These cities have very large FedEx operations (IND major hub and PIT is the headquarters for FedEx Ground). There is strong O&D on these routes and absent FedEx starting their own corporate shuttle or WN taking an interest (neither of which is likely) DL will maintain these flights.

PDEW market share has been within the 50-60 in both markets - which is consistent with most of the remaining local markets. That said, DL's dropped markets with greater PDEW share as well as higher average fares. Thus, no route should be assumed safe.

Future service levels at MEM will be reliant on the local market's continued usage of DL's service, although I agree it's probable future reductions will continue.
Gordo:like this streaming video,Sky magazine,meals for sale at mealtime-make customer satisfaction rank so high at UA

MIflyer12

Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:01 pm

Quoting incitatus (Reply 38):
All it takes is AA to announce LGA-MEM once a day and DL will up it to 4 x.

Not AA. One daily DL can coexist very nicely with one daily AA at very high fare levels.

airxliban

Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:16 pm

Does anyone know if DL using the LGA slots to add service somewhere else, now that MEM is being reduced?
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

IAHWorldflyer

Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:06 pm

I've been flying into MEM bi-monthly recently due to an ill family member. It's amazing to me that in the afternoon, the line at security for the B terminal ( DL) is non-existant, and the C terminal security lines are much longer, due to AA/US/UA having multiple flights departing at the same time.
From what I gather in the local Memphis media, WN has been embraced by the local market. Any speculation that WN will add a few more flights to their MEM schedule in late Spring?

tommy767

Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:36 pm

Quoting slcdeltarumd11 (Reply 34):

I'm pretty shocked that LAX and LGA won't remain at 2-3x a day. I thought loads would have been strong enough since DL is the only carrier in the market.

Sad. I flew through MEM in 2010 and it was bustling. I remember MEM-EWR in F on the 170. Pretty cool and well missed.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

SouthernDC9

Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:06 pm

Quoting tommy767 (Reply 44):
Sad. I flew through MEM in 2010 and it was bustling. I remember MEM-EWR in F on the 170. Pretty cool and well missed.

I flew into MEM last Friday and was amazed at how deserted the place is - the monitors that used to be filled with flights literally had like one part of one screen filled... all the businesses in the terminal have got to be hurting big time... my RDU-MEM flight was completely full (unlike BWI-RDU) but that doesn't mean much... I did get to see one of the new AA 319s so that was nifty...
What does AA/US merger mean for CLT/JFK/PHX/North America/Southern Hemisphere/God's Plan for the Universe

MSJYOP28Apilot

Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:58 pm

With the US Airways/AA slot divestiture coming from DCA and it effecting mainly regional flying, what are the chances that MEM-DCA becomes completely unserved by anyone? Could WN shift their MEM-BWI flight to DCA or add a MEM-DCA flight in addition to MEM-BWI?

tommy767

Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:02 pm

Quoting SouthernDC9 (Reply 45):

3 years makes a big difference. Down the hall in 2010 I remember the boarding of a 763 on MEM-AMS  
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

SouthernDC9

Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:26 pm

Quoting tommy767 (Reply 47):
3 years makes a big difference. Down the hall in 2010 I remember the boarding of a 763 on MEM-AMS

Totally - that wing seems to be completely closed off now, I believe... ah, well... Memphis is a weird little underperforming city (the retail scene there is quite blah as well) but the zoo is spectacular and worth the trip to Memphis (along with the Peabody and their ducks).
What does AA/US merger mean for CLT/JFK/PHX/North America/Southern Hemisphere/God's Plan for the Universe

tommy767

Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:31 pm

Quoting SouthernDC9 (Reply 48):

Its funny because I remember 3 years ago I was sitting next to a big wig health care professional in F and he was saying that the MEM-AMS flight was always full and that it was because the health care scene in MEM was blowing up. Apparently not so much.

Again a lot changes in 3 years. 3 years ago I was flying LAX-MEM-EWR to go home for Easter. Then I moved home for 2.5 years, and now I'm back in LA. No more transiting through MEM anymore though  
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA