airliner371
Topic Author

SWA Now Doing Seat Assignments For FL Flights

Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:45 am

Southwest is now enabling passengers to purchase seat assignments for the AirTran portion of flights booked on southwest.com at southwest.com. This was a big complaint for passengers booking AirTran flights on southwest.com, good they added this.

http://www.southwest.com/html/custom...qs.html?topic=network_connectivity

AWACSooner

RE: SWA Now Doing Seat Assignments For FL Flights

Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:53 am

This actually irritates me a bit...because my wife and I have checked in on WN for a FL flight and been randomly assigned seats at opposite ends of the airplane, forcing me to call FL or go to the airport the day prior to get the seats changed so we actually sit together. The least WN can do is let us choose our seats at the 24 hour check-in for FREE...it's not like I wait til the last moment and am stuck with C20 and C21.

airliner371
Topic Author

Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:48 am

Quoting awacsooner (Reply 1):
The least WN can do is let us choose our seats at the 24 hour check-in for FREE

And thats exactly what they are doing. There is a small fee to choose seats prior to the 24 hours.

Quoting awacsooner (Reply 1):
This actually irritates me a bit

Do you mean irritated?

AWACSooner

Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:33 pm

Quoting airliner371 (Reply 2):
And thats exactly what they are doing. There is a small fee to choose seats prior to the 24 hours.

Ummm...no they're not. I just checked in this morning for a flight from ATL-DAY...they randomly issue you seats and won't change them until you actually go to the airport.

flyfree727

Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:47 pm

Quoting airliner371 (Reply 2):
Quoting awacsooner (Reply 1):This actually irritates me a bit
Do you mean irritated?

Sounds like he means "irritates."

His flight is in the future, thus it is presently "irritating" him. If it were a previous flight, it would be in the past and he would be irritated.

AA ORD 

ouboy79

Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:01 pm

Quoting awacsooner (Reply 3):
Ummm...no they're not. I just checked in this morning for a flight from ATL-DAY...they randomly issue you seats and won't change them until you actually go to the airport.

Double-checked what we had as far as guidance, and this appears to be correct. WN can assist in assigning prior to check-in, after that it has to be changed at the airport.

AWACSooner

Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:01 pm

Quoting ouboy79 (Reply 5):

Double-checked what we had as far as guidance, and this appears to be correct. WN can assist in assigning prior to check-in, after that it has to be changed at the airport.

This is a teething problem with integrating two airlines with two separate cultures. In order to implement this integration, they could have two courses of action:
1. Start assigning seats on WN flights (yah right)
2. Make FL flights in coach open seating, with boarding groups like WN.

This mix and match is going to lead to a lot of confusion

asteriskceo

Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:28 pm

Quoting awacsooner (Reply 6):

The 2nd course is just as unlikely as the 1st. FL's weight & balance calculation requires assigned seating, and due to differences in the configs, WN's w&b technique cannot be used.

[Edited 2013-11-16 09:29:52]

ouboy79

Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:18 pm

Quoting awacsooner (Reply 6):
Quoting asteriskceo (Reply 7):
The 2nd course is just as unlikely as the 1st. FL's weight & balance calculation requires assigned seating, and due to differences in the configs, WN's w&b technique cannot be used.

I took my first trip on FL a couple weeks ago. As far as #2...we have a W&B issue on one of the flight and they just moved people around. So I don't see how it would really impact how things are now. Sure they would need to redo their calculations and how it is all done, but should be a relatively simple fix.

Now as far as #1...it just wouldn't work right now.

In my mind a perfect solution would be to test something like this on FL:

- Assigned seats in Business.
- Advanced seat assignments in Economy, at a cost, for the forward half of the cabin.
- Open seating for the rear half of the cabin.

That way if families/parties want to ensure they are together, they can buy the advanced seats. The boarding process can just be a modified version of the zone boarding as it is now. You also open up the ability for additional revenue streams for WN. See how it works and if it is successful, I would see it extend to WN. The business class option I think is something that would reward the Business Select passengers - and something they deserve.

Just my rambling thoughts.

silentbob

Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:24 pm

Quoting ouboy79 (Reply 8):
In my mind a perfect solution would be to test something like this on FL:

- Assigned seats in Business.
- Advanced seat assignments in Economy, at a cost, for the forward half of the cabin.
- Open seating for the rear half of the cabin.

That seems unnecessarily convoluted, especially since FL is going away relatively soon.

asteriskceo

Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:05 pm

Quoting ouboy79 (Reply 8):
As far as #2...we have a W&B issue on one of the flight and they just moved people around. So I don't see how it would really impact how things are now. Sure they would need to redo their calculations and how it is all done, but should be a relatively simple fix.

But they know who to move and where because there is assigned seating. The weight and balance is sent electronically, whereas on WN, it is done manually. For the flight deck, the procedure is radically different. It makes more sense to just keep assigned seating for the next year, until FL is phased out, and that is what will happen. You won't see open seating on airTran.

ouboy79

Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:13 pm

Quoting asteriskceo (Reply 10):
But they know who to move and where because there is assigned seating. The weight and balance is sent electronically, whereas on WN, it is done manually. For the flight deck, the procedure is radically different. It makes more sense to just keep assigned seating for the next year, until FL is phased out, and that is what will happen. You won't see open seating on airTran.

Obviously. Just thinking out loud on how we (being WN) could play around with it to maybe find something else that works. Just like how seat assignments were tested for a short time a few years ago on a couple markets.

AWACSooner

Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:19 am

Another example...I just checked in for my flight from DAY to ATL for tomorrow...and my wife and I are in separate rows in E seats...I think that they just randomly assign whatever open seats closest to the front to the WN folks, and this system flat-out sucks!

airliner371
Topic Author

Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:09 am

Quoting awacsooner (Reply 12):

Another example...I just checked in for my flight from DAY to ATL for tomorrow...and my wife and I are in separate rows in E seats...I think that they just randomly assign whatever open seats closest to the front to the WN folks, and this system flat-out sucks!

Southwest.com says you can now get assigned seats once you finish your purchase. So I don't know if you haven't tried or if they are not doing it and the website is early. Either way, you can always book on AirTran.com if you care that much...

[Edited 2013-11-16 21:09:56]