1337Delta764
Topic Author

Delta World Headquarters In Atlanta Or Hapeville?

Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:17 pm

According to Wikipedia, Delta's world headquarters are within the Atlanta city limits, and that statement includes references. However, when looking at the Atlanta city limits on Google Maps, DL's world headquarters are not actually within the Atlanta city limits, but are within the city limits of Hapeville.

Which is correct? I know DL's headquarters has an Atlanta address according to the USPS, but that doesn't mean that it actually is within Atlanta city limits. I know the ATL domestic terminal, Concourse T, Concourse A, and about 2/3 of Concourse B are within the city limits of College Park, while about 1/3 of Concourse B, all of Concourses C, D, E, and F, and the Maynard Jackson International Terminal are in unincorporated Clayton County.
The Pink Delta 767-400ER - The most beautiful aircraft in the sky

luv2fly

RE: Delta World Headquarters In Atlanta Or Hapeville?

Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:34 pm

What difference does it make at the end of the day?
You can cut the irony with a knife

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:37 pm

Quoting luv2fly (Reply 1):
What difference does it make at the end of the day?

Well, if Wikipedia says one thing and Google Maps says another, it is a conflict of information. I would like to know who is right. Being in the Atlanta area isn't exactly the same as being within the Atlanta city limits.

JohnJ

Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:50 pm

The Renaissance Hotel across the street has an Atlanta address, and that does make a difference for me as my company bases allowable hotel rates on city.

lawair

Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:37 am

I originally thought the technically correct answer would be Hapeville (and not the Atlanta city limits), but after doing a search on Googlemaps and the City of Atlanta's data and map site (http://gis.atlantaga.gov/apps/maps/), it appears that there is a non-adjacent area of Atlanta that encircles the area around the Delta HQ. In Googlemaps the area is just west of the HQ and does not include it, but the other Atlanta city maps show the area covering all of the HQ, in an area that otherwise would be Hapeville. So I suppose, if the maps on the website are correct, Wikipedia is also technically correct here in that the Delta HQ is located physically in the city limits of Atlanta. Peculiar...but is it coincidental that a floating area of Atlanta just happens to cover the Delta Headquarters? Probably not. In digging deeper, I found this article: http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...J&sjid=IUQDAAAAIBAJ&pg=4096,105025

FlyASAGuy2005

Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:54 am

Good research lawair.

I've read many books before on Delta's history. That portion of town where the World Headquarters sits was formerly a Hapeville address. But technically speaking to answer the poster's question. It is now Atlanta by address and land boundary as the city owns it.
What gets measured gets done.

ImperialEagle

Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:28 am

The old "Whoreaday" Inn down the street used to be pretty close to where College Park, Hapeville and Atlanta City came together. In fact I believe at one time each wing of the hotel had a different tax. The KFC across the street was College Park as was the Awful House.

The old GO was in Hapeville, so I'm thinking if it is all now considered City of Atlanta, then somewhere along the line it got changed. You would think City of Hapeville would scream bloody murder at the loss of that tax income! Especially now that Ford is gone. I thought the Hilton and the Courtyard were City of Atlanta and the south side of Virginia Ave. was Hapeville east of I-85.
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough!"

mayor

Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:31 am

Quoting FlyASAGuy2005 (Reply 5):

Much like ORD is..........it could probably be said that it sits within Bensenville, Elmhurst and Desplaines, but since the City of Chicago owns the airport, it is actually within the Chicago city limits.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

ouboy79

Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:19 am

Quoting mayor (Reply 7):
but since the City of Chicago owns the airport, it is actually within the Chicago city limits

Just because the city owns the property doesn't mean it is in the city limits. They obviously would have had to annex the property into the city itself to claim that. Also it isn't completely unrealistic to be in an unincorporated area but the zip code belongs to a nearby city and you get an X-city address even though you are physically in Y-city.

aklrno

Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:48 am

Quoting 1337Delta764 (Reply 2):
Well, if Wikipedia says one thing and Google Maps says another, it is a conflict of information. I would like to know who is right. Being in the Atlanta area isn't exactly the same as being within the Atlanta city limits.

Will we have to change SFO to SMO, San Mateo International? What will we then do with Santa Monica? It is so difficult being pedantic.

mayor

Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:58 am

Quoting ouboy79 (Reply 8):
Quoting mayor (Reply 7):but since the City of Chicago owns the airport, it is actually within the Chicago city limits
Just because the city owns the property doesn't mean it is in the city limits. They obviously would have had to annex the property into the city itself to claim that.

Which, I believe, they did.........along with a corridor of land connecting the airport property with the city, proper.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

Tigerguy

Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:25 am

Quoting mayor (Reply 10):
Which, I believe, they did.........along with a corridor of land connecting the airport property with the city, proper.

Correct. See: http://www.cityofchicago.org/content...icago_Maps/Citywide_Maps/Wards.pdf
Good night, and keep watching the skis. Uh, skies.

Jerseyguy

Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:55 am

Its interesting that the City of Atlanta is just allowed to take whatever land they want. There must be rules of what a city is allowed to annex. Anybody know the requirements?
Webmaster of an unoffical TTN page see profile for details

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:01 am

Quoting jerseyguy (Reply 12):
Its interesting that the City of Atlanta is just allowed to take whatever land they want. There must be rules of what a city is allowed to annex. Anybody know the requirements?

I know that in Arizona, a common practice in the past was strip annexation, where cities or towns were allowed to annex small strips of land, some of which were only a few yards wide. The problem was that this was often used as a tactic to prevent other cities or towns from annexing certain areas. This led to the creation of many "county islands", which are unincorporated areas completely surrounded by a city or a town. Strip annexation is now illegal in Arizona.