Miami
Topic Author

American Eagle Unveil New Name - Envoy

Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:49 pm

AA's regional carrier, American Eagle, plans to change it's name and logo, with changes expected to be unveiled in the next few weeks.

"The changes are expected to be unveiled in the next few weeks “to distinguish ourselves” from other regional carriers that fly for American Eagle president Pedro Fábregas told employees this week in a message"

Here's a letter from American Eagle's President, Pedro Fabregas:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/195652430/...rom-Eagle-President-Pedro-Fabregas

Source: http://www.dallasnews.com/business/a...agle-will-unveil-new-name-soon.ece

-Miami   
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

AirbusGeek

Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:04 pm

Darn it! I was just about to post this! You beat me to it! I have heard the name Envoy Airlines float around, could this be the new name?

AG
PIEDMONT- A MODEL OF HOW GOOD AN AIRLINE CAN BE

slowrambler

Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:09 pm

If it is "Envoy Airlines" I'd assume that's a way of parking the Envoy trademark from the US side.

Mir

Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:11 pm

So a company has to change its name because other companies were allowed to adopt its branding.

It's a strange world we live in, and the airline industry is even stranger.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

bmacleod

Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:21 pm

Too bad the name American Express isn't available..

KL Cityhopper seems to work well for them; could that work for AA?

[Edited 2014-01-04 11:22:45]
The engine is the heart of an airplane, but the pilot is its soul.

commavia

Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:24 pm

Quoting slowrambler (Reply 2):
If it is "Envoy Airlines" I'd assume that's a way of parking the Envoy trademark from the US side.

"Envoy." Meh.

Quoting Mir (Reply 3):
So a company has to change its name because other companies were allowed to adopt its branding.

It's a strange world we live in, and the airline industry is even stranger.

I don't know why this is all that strange. The "American Eagle" name, brand, and trademark all belong to AMR (now American Airlines Group), and have since all the way back in November 1984 when American Airlines created the American Eagle network. That the present-day company known as American Eagle Airlines, Inc. was able to take on that name is solely a reflection of the strategy of AMR Corporation and American Airlines from the late 1990s to purchase outright and amalgamate all the previously independent carriers operating under the brand. It's only been since 1998 that there is been one single operator with both the legal name and marketing identity "American Eagle." Prior to that, there was Simmons (formerly Metroflight), Flagship, Wings West, Command, and on and on. Just as is the case now and will be the case going forward: there will be Envoy, Republic, Chautauqua, PSA, Piedmont, SkyWest, etc.

Today, rebranding American Eagle Airlines, Inc. as Envoy Airlines is really just a return to the way the entire American Eagle system operated for more than a decade up until 1998: a series of carriers - some owned, some not - all with their own legal identities but all operating under the same "American Eagle" brand identity licensed to them by the owner of said brand, AMR (again, today AAG).

mhkansan

Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:27 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 3):

The 'other companies' in this case happen to own American Eagle - the airline and the brand.

The people of American Eagle, the airline, have worked hard to make American Eagle, the brand, the mark of a reliable, excellent regional airline. It doesn't matter to AA, but MQ employees are disappointed they can take the name and reputation of American Eagle and put on any lowest bid carrier.

Another rumor I heard is that the name of the new company will not include "airlines." American Eagle is becoming primarily a ground handling company.

AirbusGeek

Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:27 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 3):

USAir changed the names of it's regional subsidiaries, Allegheny Commuter to just Allegheny, Henson Airlines to Piedmont and Jetstream International Airlines to PSA to keep their trademarks. So it has happened before.

If American Eagle becomes a ground handling company, what will happen to Piedmont as their Dash 8s time out? As many people say Piedmont will become a ground handling company.

AG

[Edited 2014-01-04 11:31:25]

commavia

Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:40 pm

Quoting mhkansan (Reply 6):
The people of American Eagle, the airline, have worked hard to make American Eagle, the brand, the mark of a reliable, excellent regional airline. It doesn't matter to AA, but MQ employees are disappointed they can take the name and reputation of American Eagle and put on any lowest bid carrier.

I agree it is sad. Personally, I have consistently found Eagle to be among the best regional airlines in the U.S. - largely driven by the fact that they are owned directly by a mainline carrier, held to similar standards in many areas, and generally seem to provide a more consistent overall experience when connection between mainline and regional. Put another way, I have found, time and again, that the "drop off" in service when I step off an AA mainline flight and onto an Eagle regional flight is substantially less "steep" than when doing the same with regional operators flying for Delta and especially United. Nonetheless, economics is what it is. AA's competitors have used bankruptcy and a glut of regional carriers to materially reduce the cost of regional feed, and AA has no choice but to respond.

Another rumor I heard is that the name of the new company will not include "airlines." American Eagle is becoming primarily a ground handling company.

I have heard the same. American Eagle has done an impressive job dramatically expanding its ground handling business in recent years. That will no doubt be an attractive opportunity for AAG in a few years - they can sell it to WFS or someone else for millions.

Quoting AirbusGeek (Reply 7):
If American Eagle becomes a ground handling company, what will happen to Piedmont as their Dash 8s time out?

I still continue to believe that there are new turboprops - either Q400s or ATR72s - in AA's future. I have no idea when, or which operator, but I just think there are too many markets up and down the east coast linked to PHL/CLT with Piedmond Dash 8s to ignore. The presence of an economically viable turboprop in these smaller markets gives USAirways (and soon AA), and its hubs, an advantage. Further, I think there are various markets in and out of several PMAA hubs - chiefly DFW and MIA - where a new 70-seat prop could also make perfect sense. While at the moment their are bigger fish to fry, I think it's only a matter of time before AA addresses the Dash 8 recapitalization question.

Mir

Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:51 pm

Quoting commavia (Reply 5):
I don't know why this is all that strange. The "American Eagle" name, brand, and trademark all belong to AMR (now American Airlines Group)

I'm well aware, and I know there's nothing illegal about what AMR is doing. But it's very disappointing.

The 'other companies' in this case happen to own American Eagle - the airline and the brand.

Republic does not own Eagle. PSA does not own Eagle. Yet all those carriers will be flying under the Eagle brand.

Quoting commavia (Reply 8):
Personally, I have consistently found Eagle to be among the best regional airlines in the U.S. - largely driven by the fact that they are owned directly by a mainline carrier, held to similar standards in many areas, and generally seem to provide a more consistent overall experience when connection between mainline and regional. Put another way, I have found, time and again, that the "drop off" in service when I step off an AA mainline flight and onto an Eagle regional flight is substantially less "steep" than when doing the same with regional operators flying for Delta and especially United.

And that's the real issue - AMR is using the name that has been built up by the employees of Eagle, that is recognized by travelers as something of value, and letting other companies share in that reputation without having earned it. That's a pretty big slap in the face to everyone at the actual American Eagle who has worked hard to build that reputation. Which, perhaps not coincidentally, comes at the same time as AMR is working to shut down Eagle in favor of those other companies. Someone in management needs some help with employee relations.

-Mir

commavia

Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:56 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 9):
AMR is using the name that has been built up by the employees of Eagle

Not quite. If you really want to go back to the beginning, the brand was "built up" by the employees of Simmons, Wings West, Command, Flagship, Air Virginia, Executive, Chaparral, etc. Those were the airlines - all initially non-owned by AMR, mind you - that were the first "stewards" of the American Eagle brand. And those were the carriers (and employees) who by and large became the present day American Eagle employees.

Quoting Mir (Reply 9):
that is recognized by travelers as something of value, and letting other companies share in that reputation without having earned it.

Okay - but can't the same be said of Delta Connection, United Express, etc.? Those airlines owned carriers that once proudly operated that brand and "made it what it is," and yet those key AA competitors have summarily sold, spun off or shut down those carriers. It's business. The brand belongs to mainline, not the regional, for better or worse.

Quoting Mir (Reply 9):
That's a pretty big slap in the face to everyone at the actual American Eagle who has worked hard to build that reputation.

Again - okay. But what is the alternative? Change the entire branding of all American Airlines regional operations solely to avoid offending some employees? Perhaps that's better P.R., but I think it's also highly unrealistic.

Mir

Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:14 pm

Quoting commavia (Reply 10):
If you really want to go back to the beginning, the brand was "built up" by the employees of Simmons, Wings West, Command, Flagship, Air Virginia, Executive, Chaparral, etc.

You're going back quite a ways, though, and the regional airline segment has changed in very significant ways since then. I'd say the current setup of Eagle has a lot more to do with traveler perception of the brand than the truly regional carriers that it was born from.

can't the same be said of Delta Connection, United Express, etc.?

No, because there was (and is) no airline called Delta Connection or United Express.

But what is the alternative? Change the entire branding of all American Airlines regional operations solely to avoid offending some employees?

They're changing the branding of the whole airline right now - changing the branding of the regional operation at the same time wouldn't be much of a challenge.

-Mir

DocLightning

Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:17 pm

Quoting bmacleod (Reply 4):
Too bad the name American Express isn't available..

Why not "EagleFlight"?
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

bluefltspecial

Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:32 pm

I don't know why this is all that strange. The "American Eagle" name, brand, and trademark all belong to AMR (now American Airlines Group), and have since all the way back in November 1984 when American Airlines created the American Eagle network. That the present-day company known as American Eagle Airlines, Inc. was able to take on that name is solely a reflection of the strategy of AMR Corporation and American Airlines from the late 1990s to purchase outright and amalgamate all the previously independent carriers operating under the brand. It's only been since 1998 that there is been one single operator with both the legal name and marketing identity "American Eagle." Prior to that, there was Simmons (formerly Metroflight), Flagship, Wings West, Command, and on and on. Just as is the case now and will be the case going forward: there will be Envoy, Republic, Chautauqua, PSA, Piedmont, SkyWest, etc.

Today, rebranding American Eagle Airlines, Inc. as Envoy Airlines is really just a return to the way the entire American Eagle system operated for more than a decade up until 1998: a series of carriers - some owned, some not - all with their own legal identities but all operating under the same "American Eagle" brand identity licensed to them by the owner of said brand, AMR (again, today AAG).

Thank you for this, as it's something I've often thought was so but never really knew was true. Time to dust off the history books I guess!

Slightly off topic, but as a kid in the early 80s I remember flying on American Eagle from PHF-ORF-DCA for my gramps' funeral. We flew on Metros operated by Air Virginia.

Does anyone else remember them?

Did they get absorbed into "Eagle" or did they just go under? Were the above listed airlines the only ones that were pushed together to make Eagle? or were there more?
Every journey begins with a single airplane...

EricR

Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:33 pm

Perhaps they will change the name from American Eagle to American Flag

mhkansan

Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:34 pm

There are plenty of names to choose from: Flagship, Executive, Envoy, whatever. Hopefully they pick something better than "Endavour Air."

B757capt

Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:38 pm

What about changing it to US Airways or Trans World Express?

Look at all of US's express airlines. They are all former airline names. PSA, Piedmont, etc.
The views written by this user are in no manner the views of my employer and should not be thought as such.

Alias1024

Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:15 pm

I hear Surejet is still available.   
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

RyanairGuru

Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:44 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 11):
No, because there was (and is) no airline called Delta Connection or United Express

Continental Express became ExpressJet.

Arguably it isn't directly comparable as ExpressJet had sole use of the Continental Express brand pre-merger (the others were Continental Connection), but the situation is not dissimilar.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

AirbusGeek

Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:55 pm

Quoting Alias1024 (Reply 17):

That name was atrocious!    I still have no idea what they were thinking! Their tag line "Ally, Partner, Friend" sounds like a motto for a preschool. No wonder they withdrew that name in 2 days.

Like someone else said, they are so many names to choose from. I do expect that the branding of American Eagle to change and the actual airline to be renamed as US Airways. E.g. Envoy Airlines operated by US Airways, so currently it is American Eagle operated by Republic.

AG

[Edited 2014-01-04 13:56:16]

Mir

Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:57 pm

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 18):
Continental Express became ExpressJet.

Arguably it isn't directly comparable as ExpressJet had sole use of the Continental Express brand pre-merger (the others were Continental Connection), but the situation is not dissimilar.

Expressjet didn't have sole use of Continental Express, Chautauqua had it as well.

Also, Expressjet didn't fly under the Expressjet brand (except for its own flying), it flew under the Continental Express brand. So it's not really the same.

-Mir

PRAirbus

Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:26 pm

Wouldn't ENVOY be misleading since USAirways longhaul premium service is called that however US is scheduled to align its inflight services w/AA so definitely ENVOY Class will disappear so it might be an option.  

TPA0822

Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:45 pm

Quoting b757capt (Reply 16):
Look at all of US's express airlines. They are all former airline names. PSA, Piedmont, etc

My thoughts exactly. How about USAir?

ridgid727

Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:46 pm

That is what I have heard as well UNLESS the pilots at American Eagle agree to more concessions so that the current American Eagle rates to the "mother carrier" is more in line with those of other contractors such as SkyWest. AE's receiving of any of the Embraers ordered is contingent upon getting their costs in line with others. Otherwise, the aircraft leaving will not be replaced, and there will be a Comair Scenario all over again. And if they do concede to more cost cuts and get their fees in line, there is a possibility of offering their flying outside the American USAirways group. There was an article in the Dallas newspaper about a week ago that addressed this.

Okie

Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:48 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 9):
And that's the real issue - AMR is using the name that has been built up by the employees of Eagle, that is recognized by travelers as something of value, and letting other companies share in that reputation without having earned it. That's a pretty big slap in the face to everyone at the actual American Eagle who has worked hard to build that reputation. Which, perhaps not coincidentally, comes at the same time as AMR is working to shut down Eagle in favor of those other companies. Someone in management needs some help with employee relations.

I have to whole heartedly agree.
As pointed out, there did not appear to be any shift in quality when flying on MQ from AA vs the American Connection moniker which was operated by others.

Changing the name obviously has the end point of divesting MQ from AAG. Then turning the regional flying to the lowest bidder. Race to the bottom.

Quoting commavia (Reply 8):
The presence of an economically viable turboprop in these smaller markets gives USAirways (and soon AA), and its hubs, an advantage. Further, I think there are various markets in and out of several PMAA hubs - chiefly DFW and MIA - where a new 70-seat prop could also make perfect sense. While at the moment their are bigger fish to fry, I think it's only a matter of time before AA addresses the Dash 8 recapitalization question.

I can not answer for MIA but if you are talking DFW switching to props and the Wright Amendment coming to an end in 2014 allowing connections to anywhere out of DAL. WN would think they woke up in Fantasy Land.

Okie

Turboprop72

Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:54 pm

What is the worst slap in the face for current eagle employees is that they were even asked to vote on the AA tail design , when the flying they are doing is being outsourced to cheaper carriers.

dtw2hyd

Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:15 pm

As I understood this is just MQ legal name change. It will still operate under American Eagle marketing name along with other operators.

rj777

Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:15 pm

OK, I'm confused here...... is the American Eagle name changing? Or is someone else's name changing?

Turboprop72

Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:22 pm

The airplanes are still going to say american eagle, the airline called american eagle is having its name changed. I think they should use one of the names of the original eagle airlines especially Simmons witch is MQ.

commavia

Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:22 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 11):
No, because there was (and is) no airline called Delta Connection or United Express.

True, but there were airlines called ASA and Comair, both owned by Delta and staffed by their own employees who worked hard for years building the "Delta Connection" brand. And there was an airline called "Continental Express" that worked very hard to build that airline into the brand that it was. And there was an airline called "Air Wisconsin" that had lots of employees working very hard to build the "United Express" brand into what it was. And what happened to all these airlines, regardless of the name on the operating certificate and/or the name on the side of the plane? Every one of them was either sold, spun off or shut down, or some combination thereof. This is hardly unique to American Eagle. Brands are brands, they're owned by mainline and it's the mainline's prerogative to do with said brands what they want. Harsh, and unfortunate, but it's reality and has been literally for decades.

Quoting Mir (Reply 11):
They're changing the branding of the whole airline right now - changing the branding of the regional operation at the same time wouldn't be much of a challenge.

Seriously? Come on. That "American Eagle" brand that is so well recognized by so many employees is also ... not surprisingly ... recognized by so many customers. In some cases, communities have been seeing the "American Eagle" branding for going on 30 years. Again - I repeat - AA should throw all of that brand equity away simply because some employees may get offended by the change? I'm sorry, but that's just ridiculous. I feel for the employees at Eagle - I truly do. And as I said, I agree with you that while Eagle is not mainline, it's definitely among the best regional experiences I've had in the U.S. But rebranding the entire network simply because a single operator has a change of its legal (but not marketing) name makes absolutely no sense.

Quoting okie (Reply 24):
I can not answer for MIA but if you are talking DFW switching to props and the Wright Amendment coming to an end in 2014 allowing connections to anywhere out of DAL. WN would think they woke up in Fantasy Land.

Slow down. I wasn't saying AA is going to start flying ATR72s from DFW to BNA. I was talking specifically about existing smaller Eagle markets already flown today from DFW with ERJs that are really far better suited to props to begin with, and were served by props (SAABs, ATRs, etc.) for years before AMR got rid of all of them. Markets like CLL, SPS, LAW, TXK, etc. simply make no sense on an RJ, but they could on a modern, fuel efficient prop. Same goes for MIA, where plenty of the shorter markets like GNV, EYW and all the Bahamas routes are far better suited to a prop than an ERJ.

steeler83

Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:35 am

Quoting TPA0822 (Reply 22):
My thoughts exactly. How about USAir?

Sure why not? If they're going that route, why not resurrect that late '70s livery? I'm sure that'll really piss off the senior PSA workers who've been with the airline since before the 1988/89 merger.  

In all seriousness, I wonder if they'll just come up with a new brand for all of those regional airlines like PSA, Piedmont, etc. Republic is its own airline that does regional flying for multiple carriers. Are we talking about an entirely new livery here as well here?

What about American-Republic? Someone mentioned Trans World Express, what about Trans-USAir? Forgive me, I'm just spitballing here...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

VC10er

Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:44 am

Well, assuming "American Eagle" named itself after the scissor eagle from the ex AA identity, which was brilliant IMHO if they needed a sub-brand of American Airlines, perhaps they should take inspiration again from the NEW symbol and rename American Eagle "Thing"!
The world is missing love, let's use our flights to spread it!

AA94

Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:57 am

Quoting rj777 (Reply 27):
OK, I'm confused here...... is the American Eagle name changing? Or is someone else's name changing?

American Eagle Airlines (MQ) is pursuing a name change. They are wholly owned by the American Airlines Group.

There is also the American Eagle brand, under which American Eagle Airlines, ExpressJet, Republic, and SkyWest operate regional flights.
If you can't take the heat, you best get out of the kitchen

sunking737

Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:59 am

How about returning to the name Ozark?? or maybe Aircal, or Reno Air?? Keeping it retro.
Just an MSPAVGEEK

C010T3

Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:12 am

Why not use the AirCal name?

newhaven

Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:38 am

[

Quoting bmacleod (Reply 4):
KL Cityhopper seems to work well for them; could that work for AA?

No. "Cityhopper" is juvenile and sounds stupid and evokes "puddlejumper".. not what they want people to think.

newhaven

Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:40 am

Um ..... what ?

Dtw757

Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:45 am

Quoting steeler83 (Reply 30):
Are we talking about an entirely new livery here as well here?

No....MQ will change names and operate "American Eagle" flights operated by New Name Company so the airplanes will still say American Eagle
721,2,732,3,4,5,G,8,9,741,2,3,4,752,3,762,3,4,772,3,788,D93,5,M80,D10,M11,L10,100,AB6,319,20,21,332,3,346,388,146,CR2,7,

newhaven

Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:53 am

How About "Astrojet" !!??

Or even better .... "Luxury Liner". Wouldn't that look great painted on the side of a Dash 8 or EMB145? LOL

9lflyguy

Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:09 am

SureJet is open...  
319 320 321 722 732 733 734 735 737 738 739 752 753 763 772 CR2 CR7 CR9 DHA D8B D8C D95 145 170 175 190 M82 M88 M90 S340

commavia

Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:10 am

Quoting newhaven (Reply 36):
Um ..... what ?

Um ... what? Which part of the text you quoted were you referring to?

USAirALB

Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:26 am

IIRC, American Eagle will be a brand-name, but American Eagle Airlines (MQ) will be renamed. Probably to Envoy Airlines.

So, you'd here/see: American Eagle operated by Envoy Airlines.
E135/E140/E145/E70/E75/E90/CR2/CR7/CR9/717/732/733/734/735/73G/738/739/752/753/762/772/77W/319/320/321/333/343

KD5MDK

Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:07 am

I like Simmons for MQ, but I think it doesn't sound so great to modern customers. Pretty fly-by-night. Naming it USAir would probably bother all the old US employees, and America West would annoy the HPs. Executive is probably the best of the names available.

DTWSXM

Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:05 am

Quoting mhkansan (Reply 15):

I was thinking the same thing. Endeavor was such a hideous choice that the folks at ASA, and at least one other regional, voted it down. The poor folks at 9E didn't get a vote, they got a memo.

My pick for worst new name: Urgent Air "We'll get you there."

To be blunt, passengers don't care about the regional carrier's name. All they see is the parent company logo on the tail. This will be a boon for whoever makes American Eagle's stationery and wings.

Cheers!
Sláinte

mtnwest1979

Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:09 am

After hearing of Era Alaska's new name etc, I'm just glad they are using all of the letters in the name lol....

I miss the days of each commuter line being under their own identity, business plan, etc. Even if that meant flying for 3 weeks and folding. Various paint jobs, a/c etc. Sure beats 2 engine jets and 4 major brands.......
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

AirbusGeek

Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:30 am

Quoting PRAirbus (Reply 21):

That is the point! They weren't going to call their regional airlines the same name as their business class. It will probably be to protect the Envoy trademark.

Quoting USAirALB (Reply 41):

American Eagle branding will stay the same but the actual airline renamed, e.g. Envoy Airlines or something levees. Is that right or am I missing something?

Quoting kd5mdk (Reply 42):

Would what bother the old employees of US if the name is changed to USAir, or America West, what would the HP employees think? I would of thought pride because they are seeing the name of the airline they worked on, served on and just to see the name again would make you feel proud "Hey, I put effort into that airline and now they want to revive the name because they understand that people enjoyed flying on my airline."

Anyway it has happened before, what did the old employees of Piedmont feel when USAir changed Henson Airlines to Piedmont? Probably pride and that when they see that Dash 8 with 'Operated by Piedmont Airlines' they will remember the good times they had on board the original Piedmont Airlines.

Quoting DTWSXM (Reply 43):

ASA merged with ExpressJet and they elected to keep the ExpressJet name after 2 days of ridicule when they announced their new name SureJet. Atlantic Southeast Airlines was never part of Pinnacle Airlines Corp. so they never got renamed a Endeavor Air.

AG

[Edited 2014-01-05 01:47:35]

RyanairGuru

Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:54 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 20):
Expressjet didn't have sole use of Continental Express, Chautauqua had it as well.

Also, Expressjet didn't fly under the Expressjet brand (except for its own flying), it flew under the Continental Express brand. So it's not really the same.

I'm well aware that ExpressJet didn't fly under its own branding for CO.

Continental Express (the airline) was created in 1987 when Texas Air Corp purchased the CO regionals (Bar Harbor, Provincetown-Boston, Rocky Mountain, Britt) and merged them into one operating certificate. The company was re-named ExpressJet, and later spun off by Continental in 2002.

I didn't realise that Chautauqua also used the COEx brand, but the history of ExpressJet prior to the merger with ASA is pretty analogous to Eagle IMHO.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

FlyASAGuy2005

Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:52 pm

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 18):
Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 46):

COEx was the jet carriers and COConn was the prop carriers.
What gets measured gets done.

AA94

Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:28 pm

Quoting AirbusGeek (Reply 45):
American Eagle branding will stay the same but the actual airline renamed, e.g. Envoy Airlines or something levees. Is that right or am I missing something?

That is correct.
If you can't take the heat, you best get out of the kitchen

dtw2hyd

Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:07 pm

Well, at least American Eagle brand will be saved from bad performance data and worst airline achievement awards of MQ.