modesto2

Pilot Bases

Thu Nov 02, 2000 11:53 am

Can a pilot be based out of a city that is NOT one of the airline's hubs? For example, could a Delta pilot be based out of San Francisco? Thanks.

USAFHummer

RE: Pilot Bases

Thu Nov 02, 2000 12:48 pm

Yes, on a US PHL-LAX flight the capt. said they were an LAX based flight crew
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

Thu Nov 02, 2000 1:17 pm

Actually you can not be based out of any city. You are able to live anywhere but you will have to dead head to your base. So basically you can fly for AA be based out of LAX and live in the UK. But everytime you have a trip you will have to fly from the UK.
Iain

Thu Nov 02, 2000 1:49 pm

One of the reasons that people get confused over this is that the term "base" is used interchangably for many different things. My airline has maintainance bases where there are no pilots and pilot bases where they don't service airplanes. To make matters even more confusing, where you are based doesn't necessarily dictate where you live. For instance, I live 600 miles from where I am based (where all my trips start). So, I commute to work using the cockpit jumpseats. This is a courtesy that airlines extend to pilots of other airlines, and is of no cost to the user. As a matter of fact, my "ride" to work is usually on an airline with which I have no association.

That's one of the perks of the job. I get to live where I want and I get a free ride to my place of employment. It's a pretty good deal.

So, to all the other line dogs out there, especially the guys and gals at Midway, thanks for the hospitality!

Purdue Arrow

Fri Nov 03, 2000 2:40 pm

As has somewhat been alluded to, airlines operate pilot (and flight attendant) domeciles in cities that are not hubs. American, for example, has domeciles in Chicago, DFW, Miami, New York, Boston, Los Angeles, Washington DC, and San Francisco. Of these 8, only 3 (ORD, DFW, MIA) are hubs.

Cody

Sat Nov 04, 2000 9:43 am

I think a good many carriers use New York and Washington DC as bases (without having a hub there) is because both cities have three airports and if you are with American based out of Washington DC, you could start and end a trip at BWI, IAD, or DCA. Same thing for United. Also, a lot of commuter carriers have outstation basing (basing crews at non hub cities) because it saves on hotel expenses. ValuJet experimented with this is 1995.