SA7700
Topic Author

MH370 Malaysia Airlines B772 Missing Enroute KUL-PEK Part 10

Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:07 pm

Due to length part 9 was locked for further contributions. Please feel free to continue your discussion in part 10.

MH370 Malaysian Airlines B777-200ER missing enroute KUL-PEK (by Longhornmaniac Mar 7 2014 in Civil Aviation)

MH370 Malaysian Airlines B772 Missing Enroute KUL-PEK Part 2 (by LipeGIG Mar 7 2014 in Civil Aviation)

MH370 Malaysian Airlines B772 Missing Enroute KUL-PEK Part 3 (by SA7700 Mar 8 2014 in Civil Aviation)

MH370 Malaysian Airlines B772 Missing Enroute KUL-PEK Part 4 (by SA7700 Mar 8 2014 in Civil Aviation)

MH370 Malaysian Airlines B772 Missing Enroute KUL-PEK Part 5 (by SA7700 Mar 8 2014 in Civil Aviation)

MH370 Malaysian Airlines B772 Missing Enroute KUL-PEK Part 6 (by SA7700 Mar 9 2014 in Civil Aviation)

MH370 Malaysia Airlines B772 Missing Enroute KUL-PEK Part 7 (by SA7700 Mar 9 2014 in Civil Aviation)

MH370 Malaysia Airlines 772 Missing Enroute KUL-PEK Part 8 (by jetblueguy22 Mar 9 2014 in Civil Aviation)

MH370 Malaysia Airlines B772 Missing Enroute KUL-PEK Part 9 (by SA7700 Mar 10 2014 in Civil Aviation)

-There's no solid evidence other that 9M-MRO remains missing.

-There's no indication that ACARS was active on 9M-MRO.

-The debris field, when it's finally located might be our first clue as to what happened. But even that is being distorted by the ocean as the hours pass.

-We still have the barest of info.

-There were no calls for help, and apparently data and radar were lost around 41 minutes into the flight near IGARI waypoint.

-Several countries are assisting in the search effort.

-At present a government cover-up seems unlikely.

*** Extracts from several members ***

A select few members have been making remarks towards others in the “Missing Malaysia Airlines 777 threads” for speculating about the fate of 9M-MRO, her crew and passengers. Given the fact that there is so much uncertainty going on at this stage, speculation is going to be a factor on this site and also at the biggest and greatest news corporations of the globe. At least until we all have a clearer picture. Is it a perfect situation – certainly not? That being said, we need to stay dynamic in a possible fast-changing situation.

It is not unique to this incident and if we go back in history and trace remarkable aviation events we will see that speculation has been an aspect, essential to some healthy debate. It is not the intention of the moderators to stifle the opinions of members that fall within the rules-and regulations of airliners.net. All that we kindly request from all our members is to stay within the site’s parameters. Please be respectful towards one another and let us all hope for the best possible outcome. Enjoy the forums!

Regards and thanks so much for your co-operation,

SA7700
When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)

LTC8K6

RE: MH370 Malaysia Airlines B772 Missing Enroute KUL-PEK Part 10

Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:13 pm

Quoting TreeHillRavens (Reply 265):
But according to MAS officials, MAS B777-200ER is equipped with VHF, HF, SATCOM, ACARS, CPDLC.

Then I think the official last position is from ACARS, the one near IGARI, and ACARS was otherwise unhelpful.

The search of the North Malacca area remains very odd...

hivue

Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:16 pm

Quoting LTC8K6 (Reply 1):
Then I think the official last position is from ACARS

I don't believe any ACARS data (if it exists) has been released. Are you thinking of ADS-B?
"You're sitting. In a chair. In the SKY!!" ~ Louis C.K.

neutrino

Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:16 pm

I have been following this subject up to thread 6 so not aware whether the following has been mentioned.
According to a Straits Times article, "some of the MAS' team of 'special assistance' staff spoke no Mandarin and only rudimentary English". This fact, among others, had exacerbated the tension in the holding room for MH370 passengers' families in Beijing.
The question is what is the 'special assistance' team's mission? Am I wrong to assume that the primary, at at least one of the main purpose, is to render consolatory support, to show that MAS care, a personal touch so to speak. So having non-Mandarin speakers with laughable English skills just do not hack it. Given MAS' reputation for its army of unproductive hanger-ons, are they "selected" because of their "connections" to have a "free holiday" in Beijing? I won't be surprised if that's the case.

*My above post appeared in thread 9 a few minutes after it was locked, so re-posting here as the previous one is likely to be deleted for housekeeping reasons.
Potestatem obscuri lateris nescitis

Pellegrine

Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:25 pm

I'd like to know the reasoning behind searching the South Andaman Sea at all.

It is hard to see MAS370 making a sweeping turn to port over the Gulf of Thailand, crossing the isthmus of Thailand around Phuket area or the Malaysian peninsula, and crashing in either the South Andaman Sea or the Strait of Malacca.

From last reported position this could be a hours flight time or more in an almost opposite direction.

What is the reasoning that points in this distant direction?
oh boy, here we go!!!

FoxBravo

Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:26 pm

The search of the North Malacca area remains very odd...

Indeed, this is very odd, and I can only imagine that there must be some information--not yet released to the public--that would lead them to look in that direction, and at that particular area. It would suggest to me that analysis of primary radar returns, or perhaps some other data, has indicated that the aircraft continued to fly for quite some time in that direction after its transponder ceased to transmit its location. Which in turn would seem to indicate that the aircraft did not suffer a sudden disintegration at cruising altitude along its planned route. Very interesting.
Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire

steve7e7

Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:27 pm

Quoting Pellegrine (Reply 4):
I'd like to know the reasoning behind searching the South Andaman Sea at all.

It is hard to see MAS370 making a sweeping turn to port over the Gulf of Thailand, crossing the isthmus of Thailand around Phuket area or the Malaysian peninsula, and crashing in either the South Andaman Sea or the Strait of Malacca.

From last reported position this could be a hours flight time or more in an almost opposite direction.

Maybe the authorities are aware of certain information that has yet to be disclosed.

gosimeon

Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:28 pm

They authorities either have info they are keeping to themselves, or they are running out of places to search. It's night time there again too, which won't help.

questions

Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:31 pm

Could an event have been so catastrophic that 1) remains of the aircraft, passengers, and cargo are extremely small and 2) given the cruising altitude of the aircraft, a typical debris field will not be found? If so, what kind of event would cause that to happen?

Pellegrine

Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:36 pm

Indeed the only possible rational conclusion as to why they are searching there is: they are withholding information from the public domain.

If the aircraft does not turn up in the western search area, I for one would like it made known why they were searching in that area.
oh boy, here we go!!!

Quantos

Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:38 pm

Quoting questions (Reply 8):
Could an event have been so catastrophic that 1) remains of the aircraft, passengers, and cargo are extremely small and 2) given the cruising altitude of the aircraft, a typical debris field will not be found? If so, what kind of event would cause that to happen?

Hardly see how that would be possible. You're referring to a complete vaporization of the aircraft and its content. Realistically, the most devastating incidents that are brought up as theories are terrorism, or an unknown structural failure. In the case of a terrorist attack, you'd have to imagine the explosive used would be of small size: enough to critically affect the aircraft, but reasonably easy to smuggle on board. As for a structural failure of unknown cause, what could really be the most devastating circumstances? Even a sudden explosion and subsequent decompression would probably leave huge chunks of the plane more or less in one piece (tail, portions of fuselage, etc).
Quantos,

I maintain the Bombardier C Series Aircraft Status sheet: https://goo.gl/HZshto
Feel free to comment on the sheet with any improvement suggestions and data update requests! Thanks to Paolo92 for his advice!

ultrapig

Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:39 pm

This must have been asked and answer but its too hard to search-
Is there any scenario where the plane would have:

Crashed (or "landed") in the sea and simpy sank without leaving a trace?

In other words if one assume that the plane ended its fligth in the water can we asmem debris will eventually be located?

speedbird128

Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:39 pm

Because there is obviously a chance (based on information not given to us) they may have turned around...

Remember, there is likely to be a lot of information that is not in public domain - and rightfully so - it has absolutely nothing to do with us. Especially if the military are involved and had in fact tracked *something*.

As a search mission co-ordinator, I most certainly task SAR assets to an area unless I have some shred of credible information... It might turn out to be a false lead, or was something else that got tracked...

But something has given them reason to search there...
A306, A313, A319, A320, A321, A332, A343, A345, A346 A388, AC90, B06, B722, B732, B733, B735, B738, B744, B762, B772, B7

texl1649

Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:40 pm

They seem to be hoping desperately that it didn't go down in the jungles north of Saigon. There is really very little to be gained by the secrecy if they have evidence/rationale for going to the Andaman Sea. What "contact" are they indicating here? Was this the rumored attempt by Vietnamese ATC to communicate/get MH370 to check in?

"The mystery surrounding the airliner's last minutes deepened after Malaysian military officials said yesterday that the plane may have turned back from its scheduled route just before contact with it was lost.

Rodzali Daud, the Royal Malaysian Air Force chief, told reporters at a news conference that radar recordings had revealed the possibility that the aircraft had turned back from its scheduled flight path.

But Malaysia Airlines chief executive Ahmad Jauhari Yahya said the Boeing 777's systems would have set off alarm bells.

"When there is an air turn-back the pilot would be unable to proceed as planned," he said, adding authorities were "quite puzzled" over the situation. "

LTC8K6

Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:41 pm

Quoting hivue (Reply 2):
I don't believe any ACARS data (if it exists) has been released.

Not to us, but they would have the last position from ACARS, and that is the position they would use. It should be roughly the same as the FR24 data.

A SAR message went out that gave the IGARI waypoint coordinates as the spot, which differs from FR24's last position data slightly.

We can use FR24, but I doubt the official investigation is using it.

So I think they got coordinates from somewhere. Logically it would be ACARS.

Of course, that idea could be totally wrong.  

hoya

Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:42 pm

Quoting Pellegrine (Reply 9):
If the aircraft does not turn up in the western search area, I for one would like it made known why they were searching in that area.

What are the currents in that region? Perhaps looking at the currents and seeing how much time has elapsed since the dissapearance, it's probably safe to assume that the majority of the floating debris won't be found where the plane went down (if it went down in the water), but rather where the current has taken it.
Hoya Saxa!!

SpaceshipDC10

Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:44 pm

Quoting questions (Reply 8):

I have difficulties to imagine an event happening at cruising altitude that could crush a whole airliner into very small parts. The SR MD-11 was, but it happened when it hit the water with tremendous forces.

anstar

Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:45 pm

So it now seems that the tickets of the stolen passport holders were bought with cash the day before.

CNN is saying it was an iranian man that bought the tickets. One of the men on CCTV using the passports was of African decent.

asuflyer

Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:46 pm

I think that in the case of this crash the Vietnamese and Malaysian authorities are simply unequipped to deal with a disaster of this scale. The fact that the search area set by the Malaysia is extremely large is an indication that they really have no idea where the aircraft could be. Also the Malaysian government quickly responding to all the Vietnamese reports as being false thus far, and the Ballotelli comment, just are bizzare.

From the pictures of the Vietnamese Navy, the technology that they are using to find the plane seems very primitive, there is a photo of the admiral using a point and shoot cameras to photograph the ocean and another photo of the Navy in a room, planning search and rescue efforts without a single computer in sight, demonstrates lack of capabilities in realistically finding the aircraft in such a large search area.

Unlike in the AF 447 crash where the search efforts were a joint effort by the Brazilians, and U.S and the investigation was a joint French-Brazilian effort, it seems in this case the cooperation and sharing of information is minimal between the countries involved in the search, which would be one of the reasons the Chinese government is becoming increasingly frustrated at the search effort.

FoxBravo

Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:46 pm

Quoting Pellegrine (Reply 9):
Indeed the only possible rational conclusion as to why they are searching there is: they are withholding information from the public domain.

I have now seen in several news sources that the new search area is based on analysis of Malaysian military radar, which indicates that the aircraft may have turned around and flown in that direction.

Of course this is just speculation, but if that is in fact what happened, it would seem more likely that this was a deliberate act in which the transponder was intentionally disabled in order to obscure the aircraft's location and direction of travel. Perhaps I am missing something, but I'm having a hard time imagining a mechanical issue that would cause the transponder to stop transmitting, and prevent all radio/data communications, but nevertheless allow the aircraft to continue to fly for that long.
Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire

giopan1975

Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:48 pm

Quoting Speedbird128 (Reply 12):
But something has given them reason to search there...

The posibility of a high jack, what else??

speedbird128

Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:49 pm

Quoting LTC8K6 (Reply 14):
Not to us, but they would have the last position from ACARS, and that is the position they would use

There may be a position report from acars, but whether it is the last position of the aircraft is debatable. I think (and I am open to correction here) that acars (like ADS-C), doesn't send out constant position reports, but rather after passing a reporting point or after a specific time...

So if things went rotten exactly at a reporting point, then its likely they will be the same, otherwise there is a discrepancy.

Also, glide range can be upwards of 100nm, so it rapidly becomes a huge area. If they were still under power but no electronics, then well its a super mega huge area...  
A306, A313, A319, A320, A321, A332, A343, A345, A346 A388, AC90, B06, B722, B732, B733, B735, B738, B744, B762, B772, B7

WingBuff

Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:49 pm

But even with whatever currents in that area, at least one boat would've stumbled upon some piece of debris. The Gulf of Thailand, where the plane went missing, is not that big. At least not as big as the Atlantic, as was the case with AF447. And does it bug anybody else that the maximum depth there is less than 100m, yet still nothing has been found?

LTC8K6

Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:53 pm

Quoting Speedbird128 (Reply 21):

Would it report a waypoint like IGARI, when crossed? Although I'm not sure 9M-MRO crossed that point.

Maybe they took the ACARS last report, and the FR24 last report and decided it must be close?

747megatop

Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:53 pm

One of the countries involved should probably deploy an aircraft carrier. It probably would be faster to swarm the sea/ocean out there with aircraft from a floating platform out at sea than having land based aircraft head out from land, scour an area and head back to land.

flymeariver

Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:55 pm

Quoting FoxBravo (Reply 19):
I have now seen in several news sources that the new search area is based on analysis of Malaysian military radar, which indicates that the aircraft may have turned around and flown in that direction.

Of course this is just speculation, but if that is in fact what happened, it would seem more likely that this was a deliberate act in which the transponder was intentionally disabled in order to obscure the aircraft's location and direction of travel.

This scenario raises a host of other questions if this is indeed the case. If the plane was in fact hijacked and flown back toward Malaysia without an active transponder, what's to say then that the plane didn't continue further over the Indian Ocean? There would be no reliable way of necessarily knowing *when* it went down, just the direction it was going before they lost track of it.

speedbird128

Quoting asuflyer (Reply 18):
planning search and rescue efforts without a single computer in sight

I never planned a SAR mission with a computer... I worked with aeronautical charts and whizwheels and rulers and pencils.. It might simplify some tasks, however it is definitely not necessary...

demonstrates lack of capabilities in realistically finding the aircraft in such a large search area

Have you planned a SAR mission to make that statement?

LXLucien

Quoting LTC8K6 (Reply 14):

We can use FR24, but I doubt the official investigation is using it.

Yes, as FR24 released this weekend, the data is very inaccurate!

Quoting FR24.com:
The ADS-B transponder of an aircraft is transmitting data twice per second. FR24 saves data every 10-60 second depending on altitude. On cruising altitude data is normally saved once per 60 seconds. By analyzing all our databases and logs we have managed to recover about 2 signals per minute for the last 10 minutes.

We know from the AF flight that in one minute, a lot of things can happen.

Other question:
Is it possible that the sea can "swallow" a whole 777? I mean if the A/C impacts the water at a certain angle so that it stays intact but sinks like a boat with a hole. If the A/C was already destroyed in the air, the debris would have been spotted for sure as the area would cover many square mi/km.
Quote "Syriana": "Beirut, it's like Paris in the Mid-East"

dtfg

Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:57 pm

I don't know if this had been mentioned in the previous parts but I have heard that the searching area will be expanded to as far as the Straits of Malacca .

http://www.themalaymailonline.com/ma...370-expanded-to-straits-of-malacca

I really don't understand this because if the plane is presumed to crush there in the Straits of Malacca, it must had turned around to the opposite direction and flown all the way back through Malaysia soil without being detected by any ground radar.

What the hell was happening...

[Edited 2014-03-10 10:03:02]

hivue

Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:58 pm

I'm having a hard time imagining a mechanical issue that would cause the transponder to stop transmitting, and prevent all radio/data communications, but nevertheless allow the aircraft to continue to fly for that long.

Plus there are standard procedures for a flight crew to follow to get the airplane landed if it goes totally NORDO.
"You're sitting. In a chair. In the SKY!!" ~ Louis C.K.

flyenthu

Then I think the official last position is from ACARS, the one near IGARI, and ACARS was otherwise unhelpful.

The experts keep repeating that there were data being transmitted from the aircraft until it went missing. I just heard Mary Schiavo an hour back on CNN say that. She did not mention ACARS, but she clearly indicated that the plane was transmitting data- that apparently was unremarkable- and then it just vanished. That is what is, as I understand, baffling and perplexing to not only us, but experts as well.

SKAirbus

Remember we are still waiting information about the debris field the CX HKG-KUL flight saw off Vietnam. It appears outside the search area. Hopefully they are sending ships there now.
Next Flights: LHR-OSL (738), OSL-CPH (320), CPH-LHR (321), LHR-HEL (359), HEL-LHR (359)

LTC8K6

What is the hijacker's point, going all the way back across and then ending up in the water anyway?

Seems like if you bother to take over and then start to maneuver, you have a goal in mind of a place to land or a place to crash into.

questions

Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:01 pm

Quoting flymeariver (Reply 25):
If the plane was in fact hijacked and flown back toward Malaysia without an active transponder, what's to say then that the plane didn't continue further over the Indian Ocean? There would be no reliable way of necessarily knowing *when* it went down, just the direction it was going before they lost track of it.

Would "military radar" or other tracking devices be able to provide data as to path and potential crash site or destination if the transponder was turned off?

aftgaffe

Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:01 pm

I'm unclear on this but it appears like the latest potential debris field (reported here - http://www.avherald.com/h?article=4710c69b&opt=0 - and posted numerous times in prior threads) is outside of the current already-expanded search area by a pretty significant margin - is that right?

If so, it would stand to reason that either the new debris field is another false lead or the (still largely undisclosed) rationale for expanding the search westward was based on a false lead. Not that leads can't be false - most are of course. But if the new debris field is real, it really begs the question of why the search went west.

vfw614

Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:02 pm

Quoting 747megatop (Reply 24):
One of the countries involved should probably deploy an aircraft carrier. It probably would be faster to swarm the sea/ocean out there with aircraft from a floating platform out at sea than having land based aircraft head out from land, scour an area and head back to land.

As far as I know, the only country in the area with an operational aircraft carrier is Thailand which has one that happens to be the smallest aircraft carrier in the world (the HTMS Chakri Naruebet). It is not like a lot of countries could afford a fleet of aircraft carriers like the US. Which begs the question - where is the nearest US carrier at this moment? In Japan?

slinky09

Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:03 pm

I don't know what to make of this, nineteen families claim to have called their relative's phones to hear ringing but no answer: http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/missing-mal...dium=social&utm_campaign=ibtimesuk

FltAdmiralRitt

Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:04 pm

WHAT ABOUT A VERY SOPHISTICATED LIFE INSURANCE PLOY.

Some Things that point this way.

1) The perpetrator would want to have authorities NOT find an intact plane so as to not find evidence of deliberate sabotage.

2) The Perp. would have to disable the passengers and then enter the crew area, I don't think it can be done by one person.

3) The Perp. would want to crash the plane at night. and our of the way. So after the crew is disabled, fly it to low altitude
for hundreds of nautical miles, and then crash it. (in deeper waters than the normal course of the flight.

4) The Perp would have to know the 777 communications, transponders cut offs, auto pilot disable, Flight sim training.
I Think step 2 is the hardest to imagine.

Beyond the above theory rank the following probs.

1) Electrical failure followed by fire in the in cabin/coclpit Plane flew for a while off course. No communtications possible

2) Computer flies the air craft of course and dives below radar into ocean within 80 NM of last position. No time and too low for
pilots to communicate to controlling authority to busy fighting plane.

3) Undetected wing root damage from last repair/collision event. Partial failure sends plane out of course, then total failure of
wing. Why no communitcaitons.

4) Terrorism, suicide, not as likely, Bomb Would have left the debris scattered Would have been seen by now.

Slcpilot

Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:04 pm

The captain has been talked about. Do we know anything at all about the FO? The ability to disappear and fly the aircraft for some time is a skill that probably only the crew would have. It seems to me like possible deliberate crew action based on the lack of wreckage near the last reported location. It honestly wouldn't surprise me now if they found the plane floating in the middle of the Indian Ocean!

SLCPilot
I don't like to be fueled by anger, I don't like to be fooled by lust...

Pellegrine

Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:07 pm

they may have turned around
Of course this is just speculation, but if that is in fact what happened, it would seem more likely that this was a deliberate act in which the transponder was intentionally disabled in order to obscure the aircraft's location and direction of travel. Perhaps I am missing something, but I'm having a hard time imagining a mechanical issue that would cause the transponder to stop transmitting, and prevent all radio/data communications, but nevertheless allow the aircraft to continue to fly for that long.

This is what I am alluding to, if in fact the airplane crashed in the Andaman Sea. There are few reasons why the pilots would turn upwards of 120 degrees, and practically overfly a series of perfectly good airports (HKT, LGK, KUL) to crash land west of the Malay Peninsula. It just makes no sense. From their last known point, in an immediate emergency why not land at VCA or SGN, or turn around and land at TGG?

Quoting hoya (Reply 15):
but rather where the current has taken it

If the a/c crashed in the Gulf of Thailand or the South China Sea, only teleportation could take the remains to the Strait of Malacca or the Andaman Sea.
oh boy, here we go!!!

dtw2hyd

Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:11 pm

Quoting ultrapig (Reply 11):
Crashed (or "landed") in the sea and simpy sank without leaving a trace?

Absence(as of now) of large debris field could be a sign of water landing and quickly sink. If it disintegrated at FL350 or went into deep dive there will be debris floating or coming ashore by now. If it flew towards open ocean after loosing contact it will take much longer to find it.

michi

There is an update on avherald:

http://www.avherald.com/h?article=4710c69b&opt=0

SpaceshipDC10

Quoting slinky09 (Reply 37):
I don't know what to make of this, nineteen families claim to have called their relative's phones to hear ringing but no answer

Not only family members but crew members too.

To this, Dunleavy replied that MAS was calling the mobile phones of the crew members as well, which were ringing, and that he had given the numbers to Chinese investigators.

IADCA

Quoting FltAdmiralRitt (Reply 39):
WHAT ABOUT A VERY SOPHISTICATED LIFE INSURANCE PLOY.

I think there are a lot easier ways to run an insurance scam than that, and many of them don't involve killing hundreds of innocent people (or even yourself).

WingBuff

Quoting LXLucien (Reply 27):
Other question:
Is it possible that the sea can "swallow" a whole 777? I mean if the A/C impacts the water at a certain angle so that it stays intact but sinks like a boat with a hole. If the A/C was already destroyed in the air, the debris would have been spotted for sure as the area would cover many square mi/km.

A/C are not knife-sharp, water is stilll surface, and any impact with it would've still resulted in some destruction. And another thing, the Gulf in that area is quite shallow,

[Edited 2014-03-10 10:12:36]

BaconButty

Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:12 pm

I think that in the case of this crash the Vietnamese and Malaysian authorities are simply unequipped to deal with a disaster of this scale. The fact that the search area set by the Malaysia is extremely large is an indication that they really have no idea where the aircraft could be.

Harsh. Did Steve Fossets disappearance make the US authorities "unequipped"? They have limited data, they can't just magic it up. AF447 surface wreckage was found relatively quickly thanks to a system principally used for maintenance alerts, but it still took 2 years to find the submerged wreckage.

They're clearly focussing their search on extrapolating from the last known position in the east, and based on some data (it would seem to be military radar) in the west. They're co-ordinating the activities of many vessels and aircraft from many nations, and we don't have enough data to judge them. Their communication could be better, but at the end of the day PR won't find the plane.
Be pure, be vigilant, behave.

flyenthu

Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:12 pm

Nick Robertson on CNN is reporting right now that someone by the name of Mr. Khadem Ali (spelling ?) purchased the two tickets for two travelers that we have been talking about. Mr. Ali is apparently an "established customer" at the travel agency in Pataya and is of Iranian descent. Mr. Ali has purchased tickets from this travel agency in the past.

[Edited 2014-03-10 10:14:59]

airbazar

Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:13 pm

Quoting SLCPilot (Reply 40):
The captain has been talked about. Do we know anything at all about the FO? The ability to disappear and fly the aircraft for some time is a skill that probably only the crew would have. It seems to me like possible deliberate crew action based on the lack of wreckage near the last reported location. It honestly wouldn't surprise me now if they found the plane floating in the middle of the Indian Ocean!

This has been my theory from day 1.

ah414211

Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:14 pm

Quoting slinky09 (Reply 37):

I don't know what to make of this, nineteen families claim to have called their relative's phones to hear ringing but no answer: http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/missing-mal...dium=social&utm_campaign=ibtimesuk

The same claims were made when Air France 447 disappeared, and we know how that ended up, so it really doesn't mean anything.....Sadly, I think it's just the families looking for a glimmer of hope at this point  

[Edited 2014-03-10 10:19:02]

[Edited 2014-03-10 10:19:53]

na

Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:17 pm

Quoting SA7700 (Thread starter):
-There's no indication that ACARS was active on 9M-MRO.

And there´s no indication it was not. The airline simply says no comment we´re investigating (according to flightglobal), which to me sounds more like ACARS was active and they dont want to tell anything yet, or they are afraid to tell the public that this otherwise oh so modern plane doesnt have it.

Quoting texl1649 (Reply 13):
But Malaysia Airlines chief executive Ahmad Jauhari Yahya said the Boeing 777's systems would have set off alarm bells.

Which I read as: yes the plane had ACARS.
Which leads to:

Quoting gosimeon (Reply 7):
They authorities either have info they are keeping to themselves, or they are running out of places to search.
Remember, there is likely to be a lot of information that is not in public domain - and rightfully so - it has absolutely nothing to do with us.