highflier92660

Silver Airways Flight Schedules & Crew Problems

Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:00 pm

This could be a trip report except I'm looking for input from Silver Airways employees and people familiar with the company. It appears that any semblance of 3M being an actual scheduled regional airline is shaky at best.

Ironically the first inkling I had that we may have a problem with Silver Airways came listening to a morning radio show on Tampa's 970am WFLA. Local broadcasting legend Jack Harris told listeners on AM Tampa Bay of his plight attempting to fly from TPA to TLH on a Friday afternoon to meet-up with his wife and teenager attending Florida State University. When given the run-around then told the 3:26 pm flight was tentatively re-scheduled to 6 pm, the septuagenarian celebrity decided it was faster to do the 283 mile cannonball run in a rental car. If Jack Harris, who does the service announcements over the P.A. at Tampa International can't get a straight answer about the actual reason for his flight delay, what chance do the rest of us have?

Cut to this past Friday morning and our Silver Airways flight 4007 from TPA to EYW. The 8 am flight was delayed until 10:20 with no explanation or creative excuse given by any agent. But sitting for hours downstairs at gate 1 in Terminal A, we soon found out that every flight that morning was delayed; the one to Tallahassee and to Fort Lauderdale as well as our flight to Key West. And when there was an eventual arrival of a Saab 340B Plus there was no effort to turn around the a/c in a minimum amount of time. Instead, in both instances crews race from the aircraft, across the ramp into the terminal and up the escalator for a protracted time. Racing to dispatch? No.

"Ladies and gentlemen, we will start boarding the aircraft as soon as the flight attendant returns."

Ten minutes later a flight attendant, in platform stilettos no less, was seen racing at about a 4.8 second 40-yard dash to the plane with a large wrapped breakfast treat in her hand. Forty-five minutes later the same process was repeated by the crew of the Ft. Lauderdale flight; Captain and F/O making a mad dash up the escalator leaving the poor hapless desk agents to fend for themselves against the thundering herd, only to re-emerge some minutes later with grilled goodness from the Green Iguana restuarant in Terminal A. Where is all this in the procedures training manual of Silver Airways?

In the final insult to the very definition of the term scheduled airline, as we were in the departure area in Key West waiting for our on-time Delta Boeing 737-700 flight to ATL, an announcement was heard that the Silver Airways flight to Ft. Lauderdale would be delayed significantly due to weather. On this benign and beautiful day in south Florida there were apparently raging level 5 thunderstorms in all quadrants and wind shear alerts on all FLL runways. However shortly afterward came the inevitable flight cancellation and the usual angry response from the assembled pax.

Is this any way to run and airline? What is Silver Airways doing to remedy this? It is clearly a pilot shortage and crewing problem.

usflyguy

RE: Silver Airways Flight Schedules & Crew Problems

Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:14 pm

Quoting Highflier92660 (Thread starter):
Ten minutes later a flight attendant, in platform stilettos no less, was seen racing at about a 4.8 second 40-yard dash to the plane with a large wrapped breakfast treat in her hand. Forty-five minutes later the same process was repeated by the crew of the Ft. Lauderdale flight; Captain and F/O making a mad dash up the escalator leaving the poor hapless desk agents to fend for themselves against the thundering herd, only to re-emerge some minutes later with grilled goodness from the Green Iguana restuarant in Terminal A.

Crew members should not be allowed to eat. It's sad that they run to get food. I mean, I would rather them pass out due to low blood sugar from not eating than to give them 10 minutes to get breakfast or lunch.  Wow!   
My post is my ideas and my opinions only, I do not represent the ideas or opinions of anyone else or company.

flight152

Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:18 pm

Where is all this in the procedures training manual of Silver Airways?

People like YOU are the problem; apparently expecting these crewmembers to work without taking time to get food in-between flights.

I've come across a similar situation where a passenger confronted me heading to the gate to a delayed flight with food in my hand. Quite frankly, they should be glad I didn't go to a full service sit down restaurant and delay the flight even more. I wouldn't want the crew of my flight working hungry, and neither should you.

Mir

Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:26 pm

Ten minutes later a flight attendant, in platform stilettos no less, was seen racing at about a 4.8 second 40-yard dash to the plane with a large wrapped breakfast treat in her hand. Forty-five minutes later the same process was repeated by the crew of the Ft. Lauderdale flight; Captain and F/O making a mad dash up the escalator leaving the poor hapless desk agents to fend for themselves against the thundering herd, only to re-emerge some minutes later with grilled goodness from the Green Iguana restuarant in Terminal A. Where is all this in the procedures training manual of Silver Airways?

It's not there, but it is in the procedures training manual for life, which supersedes any airline's training manual: at some point in the day, you have to eat in order to continue to do your job properly. If your flights are consistently delayed and the time available to do so goes away, you're going to have to pick a spot to fit it back in again, and you're going to effect some passengers, which sucks, and which nobody likes to do. But sometimes it has to be done.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

airportugal310

Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:40 pm

Quoting usflyguy (Reply 1):
Quoting flight152 (Reply 2):
Quoting Mir (Reply 3):

Interesting that none of you address the 3hr delay, the 2 hr delay...rather long delays for fairly simple intra-Florida flights.

But hey that's not a issue!
I sell airplanes and airplane accessories

DualQual

Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:54 pm

So I am to understand that you would support Silver Airways crews in a fight with management to have proper crew meals boarded and available to them on the aircraft? Of course this would probably raise the cost of the ticket a couple of bucks. But it would ensure that the crew wouldn't have to go racing in to purchase some food to scarf down and get you on your way to your destination faster.
There's no known cure for stupid

flight152

Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:03 pm

Quoting airportugal310 (Reply 4):
Interesting that none of you address the 3hr delay, the 2 hr delay...rather long delays for fairly simple intra-Florida flights.

None of us said that wasn't an issue, but the comment the original poster made about the food WAS an issue.

Quite frankly, I wouldn't book a 3M flight not expecting some sort of delay.

Acey559

Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:11 pm

You could insert just about any regional airline in the title and the story will be almost the same. Things are starting to get really bad everywhere, but the issues are manifesting themselves at the lowest end (by pay) first with Lakes and Silver. The bad part is that if people think things are tight now, just wait until summer. And I can also personally attest to the lack of time for food, as well.

I didn't have it all that bad at Eagle, I never worked more than five legs in a day so I can only imagining it being worse at Silver, etc. On days where you're flying 7 hours and 55 minutes with 30 minute turns there isn't much time to get something so you have to make time. Sometimes that interferes with the schedule but so what? Don't blame the crew, it's not their fault.

In fact at Eagle, we were often told that we needed to go get food for the flight attendants because they weren't even allowed to step off the plane so as to "maintain schedule integrity". It was the pilot's responsibility to go get food for them. Which of course we didn't have a problem with, of course, our problem was with the company telling them they couldn't get off the plane; plus we get pretty busy too. So we would always just tell them to go and if the company gives them a hard time, we'll back them up.

And please don't read this the wrong way, I'm not trying to incite an argument, I just simply want people to know what goes on so they understand. But long story short, this ball is just starting to roll and the next few months are going to be very interesting to watch.

silentbob

Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:28 pm

Like every regional airline right now, I suspect that they are having trouble recruiting and retaining pilots. New crew rest requirements will compound the staffing problem, as you can no longer expect the pilot to be back at the airport 8 hours after the last flight of the night landed.

Quoting airportugal310 (Reply 4):

there's usually a thunderstorm somewhere in Florida on any given day. Weather delays shouldn't be unexpected. I haven't looked at their utilization, it's very possible that they are scheduling too much flying for the number of aircraft or pilots that they have.

FlyHossD

Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:24 pm

Quoting Acey559 (Reply 7):
You could insert just about any regional airline in the title and the story will be almost the same. Things are starting to get really bad everywhere, but the issues are manifesting themselves at the lowest end (by pay) first with Lakes and Silver. The bad part is that if people think things are tight now, just wait until summer...

...And please don't read this the wrong way, I'm not trying to incite an argument, I just simply want people to know what goes on so they understand. But long story short, this ball is just starting to roll and the next few months are going to be very interesting to watch.

Excellent post, Acey559. From what I'm hearing, your prediction about this coming summer will likely be accurate.

Many years ago, I was a management pilot at a large regional airline. One day, one of the Ops Managers called the office and was quite upset that one of the crews had asked for crew meals - something we didn't provide. Given that the operation had been running late all day, I thought it was an excellent idea by this crew, so I asked the Ops Manager what they wanted. She was aghast that I'd go get meals for them - so I explained that it was much smarter for me to get the meals and hand them to the crew than to force them to fend for themselves.

Damn those prima donna pilots - let them eat, er... ...nothing!  
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

175erj

Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:39 pm

or... the crews could pack a food bag, like many crews of larger airlines, including those at Southwest do. Or, the captain could run and get food while the FO pre-flights and the FA is available for boarding. It's not about not letting the crews eat, just there is a smarter way to go about it.

And yes, Silver is having major crew issues though management won't admit it.

Acey559

Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:38 am

Quoting 175erj (Reply 10):

That's often how we went about it. We were just a little peeved at the principle of the email. Flight attendants stand around the airplane all day and while we often had chances to at least take a step off for a "breather", the flight attendants often didn't. Just a quick walk up the jetbridge and back was helpful to help clear their heads a bit. But I get what you're saying. And packing for five days is easier said than done!   I tried a few times but never really figured out a system. Plenty do, I know, but I was never dedicated enough, I guess.

KarlB737

Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:00 am

Quoting silentbob (Reply 8):
Like every regional airline right now, I suspect that they are having trouble recruiting and retaining pilots.

Isn't this the heart of the problem pure and simple?

catiii

Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:55 am

Not sure what you expect them to do. If there's a weather issue at FLL there's a weather issue.

Quite frankly YOU are the problem. The fact that you would willingly and deliberately delay a flight is shocking. Your customers who pay your salary should be grateful to you that you didn't delay their flight eve further because you can't plan ahead enough to eat? Maybe you need to reassess your career choices, because somehow tens of thousands of flights per day are operated on time at all levels of the industry, and yet you can't get your act together to keep yourself nourished and do your job...

[Edited 2014-03-23 18:58:17]

Mir

Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:25 am

Quoting 175erj (Reply 10):
or... the crews could pack a food bag, like many crews of larger airlines, including those at Southwest do.

And if they spent the previous night away from base, they would get the food for that bag from...?

Quoting catiii (Reply 13):
The fact that you would willingly and deliberately delay a flight is shocking. Your customers who pay your salary should be grateful to you that you didn't delay their flight eve further because you can't plan ahead enough to eat?

You assume that people don't plan ahead, but there are a number of things that could have ruined any plans they made. If a long weather delay happens, that hour that you figured you had to grab something can become a half-hour turn. But you've still got to eat something, otherwise you're not going to make it through the day. That's just reality. And if the airline is getting too many flights leaving late because the crews need to run and grab something to eat, that's a sign that they are running too tight of a schedule for their crews to realistically fly.

-Mir

catiii

Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:27 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 14):

Fine, stuff happens. And I don't disagree at all with the necessity of eating. But the attitude of "screw you,you should be grateful I didn't willfully try and delay you even more" is ridiculous.

F9Animal

Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:45 am

I agree with others about the importance of eating. It would be an absolute disaster if we expected crews to go hungry in the name of a schedule. Sorry, but health and sanity are two very important aspects of a crew. This practice is done at almost every airline. F9 crews would run to the nearest food place to grab a quick meal to go. I would happily take a delay any day to ensure my crews had a bite to eat. I can't perform at my best on an empty stomach, and good luck getting a smile out of me if I have a hunger headache.
I Am A Different Animal!!

Airontario

Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:46 am

Quoting catiii (Reply 15):
Fine, stuff happens. And I don't disagree at all with the necessity of eating. But the attitude of "screw you,you should be grateful I didn't willfully try and delay you even more" is ridiculous.

I don't think anyone said or feel this way. Earlier in the thread someone stated that sometimes you have to get off the plane to get food, even if it means causing a delay for the passengers. It's not something anyone wants to do, but you know sometimes it's a necessity. It's the aviation industry. No matter how hard to plan ahead and try to making things run perfectly, sometimes they just don't run the way you want them to. It's not necessarily anybody's fault, it's just the way things happen.

FlyHossD

Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:55 am

Quoting Airontario (Reply 17):
I don't think anyone said or feel this way. Earlier in the thread someone stated that sometimes you have to get off the plane to get food, even if it means causing a delay for the passengers. It's not something anyone wants to do, but you know sometimes it's a necessity. It's the aviation industry. No matter how hard to plan ahead and try to making things run perfectly, sometimes they just don't run the way you want them to. It's not necessarily anybody's fault, it's just the way things happen.

Right, thank you. No one in this thread suggested sitting down for a meal. Quite the contrary, in fact:

Ten minutes later a flight attendant, in platform stilettos no less, was seen racing at about a 4.8 second 40-yard dash to the plane with a large wrapped breakfast treat in her hand. Forty-five minutes later the same process was repeated by the crew of the Ft. Lauderdale flight; Captain and F/O making a mad dash

Is safety more important than schedule? It is and it should be.

Quite frankly YOU are the problem. The fact that you would willingly and deliberately delay a flight is shocking. Your customers who pay your salary should be grateful to you that you didn't delay their flight eve further because you can't plan ahead enough to eat?

My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

dashman

Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:47 am

Unfortunately this is happening even at the regionals ones you might not think.
Bottom line, intstead of making snide remarks and innuendos contact managment of the particular airline. They created the problem. Don't expect crews crews to give 120 percent day in and day out in order to compensate for managements inability to do "their job"

thegoldenargosy

Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:42 am

Quite frankly YOU are the problem. The fact that you would willingly and deliberately delay a flight is shocking. Your customers who pay your salary should be grateful to you that you didn't delay their flight eve further because you can't plan ahead enough to eat? Maybe you need to reassess your career choices, because somehow tens of thousands of flights per day are operated on time at all levels of the industry, and yet you can't get your act together to keep yourself nourished and do your job...

Seriously? You're the kind of passenger we hate. It's not as simple as it may seem to you. Often times on the layover the only food options are a vending machine. At regionals crews work 4-7 flights a day often with very little ground time. Don't blame the crew, blame scheduling. I'd like to see you at work with no break what so ever, not even 10mins to go grab something.

N353SK

Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:19 am

About a year ago I had planned to grab lunch on our 90 minute sit at the hub. Right after pushback to fly to the hub ATC informed us that we now had a two hour ATC delay because an aircraft had an incident and one of the runways was closed. Dispatch told us not to return to the gate so we could be ready to go in case our wheels up time changed. It didn't, and when we arrived at the hub we had negative 30 minutes to deplane our passengers, walk to a new aircraft, board the passengers, and depart. We were hungry, so we stopped and picked up a couple of sandwiches that we scarfed down in the cockpit while preparing the aircraft. How exactly should we have planned ahead for that?

freeze3192

Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:40 am

Quite frankly YOU have no IDEA what YOU are talking about. Come work a day in my shoes, 6 legs a day, delayed all day, day 4 of 4, pushing the duty limits of Part 117 and you find yourself a time to eat.

And yes, you ARE lucky that I didn't decide to sit down and have a meal the dignified way, at a table and chair. Not sitting in a cockpit with a yoke in my lap trying to scarf down my food before it gets cold in between doing flows, checklists and paperwork.

YOU are the traveler that crews hate. You see your self as an expert of everything, though in reality you are an expert at nothing and you expect your crew to move heaven and earth to get you to your destination 25 minutes early so you can make your 30 minute connection that you stupidy booked through EWR, on a ticket that cost you $125 to fly 800 miles. Then you whine and throw a temper tantrum when you don't get your way like the self-entitled weenie that we all see you as.

"A passenger bets his life that his pilot is a worthy heir to an ancient tradition of excellence and professionalism."

futureualpilot

Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:15 am

I've delayed flights in the past, and will in the future if my crew and I need a meal break. People can be mad, threaten my job, call me names, tell me how important they are or their schedule might be but if we can't fulfill the most fundamental of needs on Maslow's hierarchy, then the rest doesn't matter.

That being said, the folks on here so incensed that we might try and feed ourselves without consideration to the customer, or schedule are poorly misguided in their thinking. Further it is absurd to assume we don't plan ahead to incorporate or food into the turns that are adequately long enough to get food or that we don't try to bring food from home. But, food runs out. We don't always have time or the means to buy more on an overnight. Schedules change, and our breaks evaporate quickly when we encounter a maintenance or weather or some other delay beyond our control leaving us with little or no time to nourish ourselves. So, at some point we just have to put the brakes on the operation to give ourselves a break in order to make sure we can function at the highest level for each flight.

I'm sorry your flight was delayed while the crew went and found some nibbles. But your safety is our top priority and that applies to all functions of the operation, including crew member well being. Next time I hope you find some patience and understanding.
Life is better when you surf.

deltadudejg

Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:31 am

I have heard from some PSA pilots that Silver isn't doing so hot these days, possibly going to shut down soon here. I always treat aviation news the same way, don't believe anything til you actually see something. Either way I always love seeing the 3M aircraft in Tampa, love Saabs they are great turboprops.
J.Gottlieb- Line Service Technician @Signature Flight Support KPIE

n6238p

Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:09 pm

Remember boys and girls, we're just the bus drivers of the sky and it's all our fault someone missed their 20 minute connection they booked via Orbitz for $163.

I bet highflyer and catiii have some great theories on MH370 as well.
To actively root against anybody is just low, and I hope karma comes back at you with a vengeance

captainstefan

Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:35 pm

As someone who definitely turns into a diva when he's hungry (Snicker's commercials), I have no problem at all waiting for a crew to go get food. I think the overlying issue here is not crew members delaying flights to get some chow, but rather that 3M is not a well run airline - regional or not. Taking 3 hours delays regularly on flights blocked for 45 minutes is not a good sign, and is definitely not just because the crew was hungry. (I don't have any concrete data for this - it's just an estimation based on what I see every day at work)
Long Live the Tulip!

highflier92660

Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:43 pm

A note to all above posters who work at a regional airline: I'll bet you think my hero is spokesman Roger Cohen, the Baron Scarpia of the Regional Airline Association.

For all those not familiar, see Roger Cohen hiss and scowl his way though an interview with CNNs Miles o' Brien. In it he maintains that regional airline pilots are well paid (until o'Brien corrects him on the facts) and says there are no need for crash pads because, heck, you can get a Ritz Carlton suite in New York for seventy bucks a night.

From hence forth, all company aircraft may be dispatched with a non-functioning aileron or elevator control surface. These will be written up under deferred maintenance and the expanded minimum equipment list will be in place by tomorrow. In addition, food and restroom breaks will be eliminated if the a/c blocks-in over fifteen minutes late.

Go forth, fly and act happy. That's a company order!

usa330300

Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:44 pm

Ten minutes later a flight attendant, in platform stilettos no less

This must be her block. Have seen her several times. She is quite the sight.

INFINITI329

Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:00 pm

It is blasphemous that people on here think pilots are not humans beings. Pilots dont run on jetA like their planes do. They run on food and water just like their pax. So what if your flight gets a little delayed so the crew can get some food. Life goes on. I rather my flight crew to be fed and alert v. being hungry and unalert

Quoting Acey559 (Reply 7):
So we would always just tell them to go and if the company gives them a hard time, we'll back them up.

Thats is very respectable of you, I would do the same thing in a heartbeat.

anjin

Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:49 pm

In Europe a break of 20 mins is required (duty less than 6hrs)
Food is fuel, no fuel and pilots make mistakes
Rather a delay than a mistake.
Sounds as though not enough crews is the bigger issue

b727fa

Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:02 pm

This is almost comical if it weren't so serious. Pack ahead? Plan to eat? I guess crews should only ever eat non-perishable pre-packaged things; because THAT'S so yummy after 3 days. We fuel planes, why don't we fuel our crews. I noted the OP's snide comments about the "stiletto platforms no less...with her breakfast 'treat' " like 1--the shoes are relevant and 2--a "treat" implies something silly or foolish/not necessary. How demeaning. I'm thankful my airline provides crew meals for some flights. There are circumstances and parameters that must be met--but it's a start!
My comments/opinions are my own and are not to be construed as the opinion(s) of my employer.

freakydeaky

Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:04 pm

Pilots, please pack your lunch and dinner and store it in your warm cockpit where it will stew in bacteria for a few hours. Yummy. Just take a sick sack up with you and everything will be fine. Mmmmm....mayonnaise surprise.
"Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could."

Web500sjc

Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:17 pm

Quoting freakydeaky (Reply 32):
Pilots, please pack your lunch and dinner and store it in your warm cockpit where it will stew in bacteria for a few hours. Yummy. Just take a sick sack up with you and everything will be fine. Mmmmm....mayonnaise surprise.

Silly me, I thought this thread was about Silver airways not being able to preform their schedules.

It is not bad crew, you don't get lunch - more silver airways has created a pattern of not completing scheduled flights, and the flights they do complete have crew sprinting to get food. So what you have is an obnoxiously tight schedule, that doesn't allow the airline to complete the contracted flights, and doesn't allow the opportunity for the crew to eat.
Boiler Up!

peachair

Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:55 pm

People like YOU are the problem; apparently expecting these crewmembers to work without taking time to get food in-between flights.

I've come across a similar situation where a passenger confronted me heading to the gate to a delayed flight with food in my hand. Quite frankly, they should be glad I didn't go to a full service sit down restaurant and delay the flight even more. I wouldn't want the crew of my flight working hungry, and neither should you.
Quoting thegoldenargosy (Reply 20):
Seriously? You're the kind of passenger we hate. It's not as simple as it may seem to you. Often times on the layover the only food options are a vending machine. At regionals crews work 4-7 flights a day often with very little ground time. Don't blame the crew, blame scheduling. I'd like to see you at work with no break what so ever, not even 10mins to go grab something.
Quoting futureualpilot (Reply 23):
I've delayed flights in the past, and will in the future if my crew and I need a meal break. People can be mad, threaten my job, call me names, tell me how important they are or their schedule might be but if we can't fulfill the most fundamental of needs on Maslow's hierarchy, then the rest doesn't matter

We can air our dirty laundry here all we want, and I understand the frustration. I started my carrier with a company very similar to yours, but at the end of the day, the customer really doesnt care. They pay for a ticket for your company to get them from A to B on-time with their bags. Thats it. For the most part they dont care about anything else. I would say that the company is responsible for ensuring you - the pilot - and crew, have the tools you need to do your job. That includes a mechanically safe airplane, and a schedule that enables you to stay on the schedule.

atct

Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:31 pm

I used to work for a really crappy outfit called Regions Air. 9 legs a day with crappy pay. I would loved for 6 legs. I missed many meals and had many late flights. I never delayed a flight because I was "hungry." I ate when I could. I agree with the original poster that if the flight was delayed and both pilots went to go get food, that is uncalled for. Grab some nuts and a water and push on like the rest of us do. Suck it up and stop whining.
Trikes are for kids!

Mir

Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:46 pm

Quoting atct (Reply 35):
I agree with the original poster that if the flight was delayed and both pilots went to go get food, that is uncalled for. Grab some nuts and a water and push on like the rest of us do. Suck it up and stop whining.

It's just not a good idea from a safety standpoint - that sort of thing is going to leave you malnourished if you do it long enough, which has an adverse effect on your mental performance and fatigue.

It may have been done in the past, but so were a lot of other things that the industry has evolved out of.

-Mir

newhaven

Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:07 pm

Re post below .... edited.

[Edited 2014-03-24 16:09:22]

Acey559

Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:08 pm

Anyone remember the IMSAFE checklist? Just saying.  

newhaven

Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:11 pm

People like YOU are the problem; apparently expecting these crewmembers to work without taking time to get food in-between flights.I've come across a similar situation where a passenger confronted me heading to the gate to a delayed flight with food in my hand. Quite frankly, they should be glad I didn't go to a full service sit down restaurant and delay the flight even more. I wouldn't want the crew of my flight working hungry, and neither should you.

BULL ! Your job is to transport passengers. And if your flight is running late already, then too bad. That's why so many flight crews pack snacks to keep themselves going.

You DO NOT have any business delaying a flight even further, inconveniencing the people who are paying your salary with such a cocky, dismissive comment.

And you certainly would not have the authority or backing of your airline going to some sit-down restaurant to intentionally lollygag, lounge and take your time eating ... while you delay things further. You'd deserve to be fired over such a self centered thing as this.

Pack a lunch ... like most other working people do.

Oh, and .. Flight1152 ... self absorbed, self important people like YOU are the problem in this industry.

ridgid727

Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:23 pm

Quoting freeze3192 (Reply 22):
YOU are the traveler that crews hate. You see your self as an expert of everything, though in reality you are an expert at nothing and you expect your crew to move heaven and earth to get you to your destination 25 minutes early so you can make your 30 minute connection that you stupidy booked through EWR, on a ticket that cost you $125 to fly 800 miles. Then you whine and throw a temper tantrum when you don't get your way like the self-entitled weenie that we all see you as.

Thanks for saying that, you are spot on. Those who think spending money has power over others makes me sick!

coolian2

Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:28 pm

Just wow guys. In my job I will move heaven and earth to serve a customer. I've gone home hours late more than once, but ultimately eventually something has to give.

Do you honestly think these flight crews delay flights for food just because they can? You've got to be kidding. The actual absurdity of what you're suggesting is mind-boggling. I almost want to suggest this whole thread for deletion on the grounds of lack of connection to reality.
Bollocks.

C767P

Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:28 pm

Quoting newhaven (Reply 39):

How should this be done for day four when hotels have no refrigerators? Cup Noodles? That’s healthy!

I think most crews are responsible about grabbing food when its required. Such as sending one person to get food for the entire crew so things are not delayed any further.

newhaven

Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:38 pm

Quoting coolian2 (Reply 41):
Do you honestly think these flight crews delay flights for food just because they can? You've got to be kidding

Go back and read Reply 2 from Flight1152.

Quoting freeze3192 (Reply 22):

And your level of professionalism and dignity boggles my mind. Calling your passengers self entitled weenies because they expect you to transport them on time to their destination.

And i'd LOVE to hear you explain a long sit down dinner delay to your Chief Pilot, big shot. Hey ... maybe you should fly freight! At least you wont have to worry about the customers giving you dirty looks.

What a sad excuse for a pilot ... and what a crap attitude .... Sad.

coolian2

Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:46 pm

Quoting newhaven (Reply 43):
Go back and read Reply 2 from Flight1152.

How does that post do anything other than prove my point?
Bollocks.

atct

Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:53 pm

That's why so many flight crews pack snacks to keep themselves going.

Thats what we did.

Quoting C767P (Reply 42):
How should this be done for day four when hotels have no refrigerators? Cup Noodles? That’s healthy!

I did it for years. Its known as non-perishable food. Check it out next time you visit the grocery store, its a miraculous thing we came up with centuries ago.
Trikes are for kids!

thegoldenargosy

Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:57 pm

I'm appalled by the lack of basic respect for crews displayed on this thread.

flight152

Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:14 am

BULL ! Your job is to transport passengers. And if your flight is running late already, then too bad.

It's people like you that makes me realize that there are some pretty awful people out there. My well being is a little more important then making sure you make your 20 minute connect of a $120 fare of bought on cheaptickets.com Oh, and just so you know; I've done this a total of two times in the past four years.
You DO NOT have any business delaying a flight even further, inconveniencing the people who are paying your salary with such a cocky, dismissive comment.

Actually, I do. My company agrees; It says so right in my operating manual.

And you certainly would not have the authority or backing of your airline going to some sit-down restaurant to intentionally lollygag, lounge and take your time eating

Perhaps you should reread my post.

I do pack a lunch. Problem is; I'm gone FOUR DAYS IN A ROW. The lack of knowledge you have in this industry is surprising.

atct

Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:19 am

Quoting thegoldenargosy (Reply 46):
I'm appalled by the lack of basic respect for crews displayed on this thread.

Respect is earned, not given.
Trikes are for kids!

thegoldenargosy

Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:33 am

Quoting atct (Reply 48):
Respect is earned, not given.

So crews aren't allowed to eat? This thread is like Flyer Talk.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos