MSYtristar
Topic Author

Virgin To MSY/RSW

Sun Nov 05, 2000 3:22 am

Just hear me out on this one....

Virgin Atlantic should apply for route authority for nonstop London-New Orleans and London-Ft. Myers service. They could fly these routes weekly or twice-weekly, seasonal if need be, say from 12/15 to 4/2, or something like that. Both of these routes would do very well. The A340 could fly the route. It's about time for MSY to have at least a seasonal, weekly nonstop, and I's sure the RSW market could support the flight(LTU already offers seasonal sevice into RSW). Any thoughts?

Stephen in MSY(PVD for 13 more days)

RE: Virgin To MSY/RSW

Sun Nov 05, 2000 3:25 am

I highly doubt RSW can handle a route like that. Maybe it could, there may be enough draw from Naples and other places in Southwest Florida, but I don't think it could handle it.

AA737-800

Sun Nov 05, 2000 3:31 am

What are the pax O&D numbers between the UK and MSY, though? If they can't reasonably expect to get at least 250 pax on average per flight, it isn't worth it. Most people flying ex MSY would transit either at IAH or ATL.

englandair

Sun Nov 05, 2000 3:40 am

Where abouts in the US (I'm guessing) is Ft. Myers?

777gk

Sun Nov 05, 2000 3:41 am

Southwest Florida, especially the beautiful islands of Sanibel and Captiva, could certainly handle the flight! The airport isn't even an issue, the 12,000-foot runway close to sea level could send a fully-loaded A340 or 747 to Europe any day. The gates on the outside of Concourse A can handle up to a 747, and there is a nice C/I facility just down the hall from the gates. If you haven't been to Sanibel or Captiva, I'd suggest going soon. It really is a great place. In the months of April and July/August, the Lee County area as well as the surrounding area attract large numbers of German and British travelers, with the greatest number connecting through crowded East Coast airports. Fort Myers is also conveniently located for access to other parts of FL. Tampa and Sarasota are an easy drive on a 6-lane highway up the West Coast of FL. Both are under 1.5 hours. This interstate is adjacent to the airport, running parallel to RSW's approach path. The famous Tamiami Trail cuts Fort Myers in half, with access to the road 10 minutes from the airport. Fort Lauderdale and the Palm Beaches are a straight shot down the same interstate from Tampa, a drive of 2 hours. I think European airlines just haven't realized the full potential of RSW as an uncongested US gateway. That is sure to change with the construction of a parallel runway and a large new terminal area in the middle of the runways.

BTW, I am writing this to everyone from Paris right now, I am getting ready to head to the City for the rest of the day with my crew. I am coming back to the States tomorrow on CO55 (764).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos