AFa340-300E
Topic Author

CX "B-" Registration

Mon Nov 06, 2000 2:49 am

Hello,

Could anyone tell me why Cathay Pacific re-registered in fleet throughout late 1997 with "B-" registration?
Well, I assume it is because of the handover of HK to China, but did Beijing ask to re-register these aircraft because the Civil Aviation Authorities of HK were closed or integrated to CAAC please?

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Craig Murray

Thank you,

Best regards,
Alain Mengus

hugo

RE: CX

Mon Nov 06, 2000 4:29 pm

Although I cannot tell you for certain that Beijing asked CX to change the prefix to "B", it is likely that this is the case or it was done voluntarily by CX. I doubt if it was because the authorities in HK closed shop and transferred things to CAAC; government functions in post-1997 Hong Kong continue largely unchanged. The "B" prefix can be seen on China registered aircraft, including those of Taiwan. I assume anything China registered will have to carry the "B" register, even if, as in the case of Taiwan, there is reason for distinction.

Airbus A3XX

RE: CX "B-" Registration

Mon Nov 06, 2000 5:03 pm

The 'VR-' registration is actually the prefix for all British colonies. The change of the 'VR-' prefix to 'B' prefix indicates the handover of Hong Kong from Britain to China.

RE: CX "B-" Registration

Mon Nov 06, 2000 9:35 pm

...and thus presumably any accident involving a "VR" registered hull would be the responsibility of Britain's CAA, so the change reflected a transfer of that responsibility to the Chinese aviation authorities.