Matt D
Topic Author

Scope Clauses

Mon Nov 06, 2000 7:24 am

I've heard the term before. I'm a little fuzzy on the meaning of some of these industrial/union buzzwords. Can someone please explain for me exactly what a scope clause is?

Purdue Arrow

RE: Scope Clauses

Mon Nov 06, 2000 11:12 am

A scope clause, at least as used in a pilot contract, basically states that an airline cannot use pilots other than its own to fly its flights. The largest application of the scope clause has been to limit the use of regional jets. Such a scope clause might say, for example, that all aircraft with more than 50 seats must be flown by pilots of the major airline. Such a scope clause would limit a carriers regional feeders to flying aircraft of 50 seats or fewer. The scope clause was also cited by American's pilots after the Reno Air acquisition... the APA insisted that, by allowing Reno's pilots to continue flying under Reno's contract after the purchase was completed was a violation of the scope clause. I believe that the term comes from the fact that this clause defines the scope of the contract; that is, it tells who is and who is not covered by the contract.

Purdue Arrow

RE: Scope Clauses

Mon Nov 06, 2000 11:18 am

A scope clause, at least as used in a pilot contract, basically states that an airline cannot use pilots other than its own to fly its flights. The largest application of the scope clause has been to limit the use of regional jets. Such a scope clause might say, for example, that all aircraft with more than 50 seats must be flown by pilots of the major airline. Such a scope clause would limit a carriers regional feeders to flying aircraft of 50 seats or fewer. The scope clause was also cited by American's pilots after the Reno Air acquisition... the APA insisted that, by allowing Reno's pilots to continue flying under Reno's contract after the purchase was completed was a violation of the scope clause. I believe that the term comes from the fact that this clause defines the scope of the contract; that is, it tells who is and who is not covered by the contract.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos