blueflyer
Topic Author

Why Do FedEx, Atlas Air Support Norwegian?

Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:07 am

I recognize this is a bit of an inside baseball question, but I was wondering whether anyone could explain why FedEx Express and Atlas Air have filed a motion with the DOT supporting Norwegian's application for a foreign air carrier permit? Obviously they're not acting out of the goodness of their heart, so what interest are they trying to advance or support in the process?

http://worldairlinenews.com/2014/08/...-the-dot-to-grant-its-application/
(second paragraph mentions FedEx Express and Atlas Air)
Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has no clothes.

LAXintl

RE: Why Do FedEx, Atlas Air Support Norwegian?

Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:43 am

Both carriers (along with the last 3 heads of the DOT) are of the opinions the EU-US bilateral is very clear, and the US has no grounds to reject Norwegian.
The EU-US ASA requires parties respect the determination of regulators of the otherside, so if the EU says Norwegian is EU and compliant with EU ownership and citizenship, the US must accept such determination.

On a macro scale both Fedex and Atlas are companies that have tended to long support liberalization of global aviation market and have long opposed protectionism.

[Edited 2014-08-28 22:50:00]
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

ROSWELL41

Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:48 am

Perhaps both are planning a scheme similar to Norwegians?

b747400erf

Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:38 am

Atlas likes hiring cheaper foreign pilots. They have used every trick in the book to create friction between Polar and Atlas groups in the past.

PanHAM

Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:43 am

I doubt that Atlas or Fedex would set-up passenger carriers but LAXIntl has explained it very well.

The EU could get funny ideas about FX's European network, just to mention one item
powered by Eierlikör

Mir

Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:54 am

Quoting ROSWELL41 (Reply 2):
Perhaps both are planning a scheme similar to Norwegians?

Or they want they ability to do so. Norwegian doesn't compete with them, so they've got no reason to oppose them.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

PITrules

Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:57 am

Quoting B747400ERF (Reply 3):
Atlas likes hiring cheaper foreign pilots. They have used every trick in the book to create friction between Polar and Atlas groups in the past.

Well the only foreign base they've had was in the UK.....

But that's long in the past; that base is closed and Atlas and Polar pilots are now on the same seniority list.

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 4):
I doubt that Atlas or Fedex would set-up passenger carriers but LAXIntl has explained it very well.

Atlas flies passengers.
FLYi

PanHAM

Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:01 am

Quoting PITrules (Reply 6):
Atlas flies passengers.

on charters and mostly DoD contracts. That's different to what Norwegian or others do.