CX747
Topic Author

MAS To Reduce Fleet And Routes.

Wed Nov 08, 2000 4:31 am

It was reported in this weeks Aviation Week and Space Technology that MAS is going to undergo a massive restructuring. Their 16 strong fleet of 747-400s will be cut in half to 8 airframes. The 777-200ERs will see their numbers reduced from 11 to 8 also. The 737-300/400 fleet will be reduced by one airframe to 36. A330-300s will be reduced from 11 to 8 and the Fokker F50s will be drastically reduced from 10 to 4. The 8 747-400s that are be taken out of the fleet will be leased out. The 777s will be returned to lessors. The F50s are to be sold. Unfortunately it does not say what will become of the 3 A330-300s that will be withdrawn from the fleet.

Several routes will also be aletered or suspended. The list includes Frankfurt, Rome, Paris, Vienna, Manchester, Zurich and Munich. The Kuala Lumpur-London Heathrow code-share with Virgin will stay intact.

So, there you have it. A carrier that in the past few months seemed destined to order either the 737NGs or A32Xs along with the 777LRs or A340NGs is now reducing its fleet. While I wouldn't bet the house on it, I don't forsee them ordering the A3XX anytime soon.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

RE: MAS To Reduce Fleet And Routes.

Wed Nov 08, 2000 4:36 am

Wow, they seriously want to cut many of these European flights ? THat is tough.
Is it because they are not making a lot of money on these flights ?

Rgds, B737-700

9A-CRO
Crew

Wed Nov 08, 2000 5:27 am

I hope they will overcome the difficulties
and I hope they won't dump their Zagreb leg on Vienna route
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward...

AFa340-300E

CX747

Wed Nov 08, 2000 5:36 am

Hello CX747,

I can't see anything about that article on their website. Is it only available on paper copies please?

Thank you,

Best regards,
Alain Mengus

avion

Wed Nov 08, 2000 5:37 am

That is a joke!!!

Avion

The777Man

Wed Nov 08, 2000 5:57 am

This is not a joke!! CX747 is a respected user and I just got the same Aviation Week in my hand and I just also read the article. It's a bit surprising but I've heard more weird things before. The article also mentioned that the may stop flights to LAX. I'm not sure if all of the mentioned downscaling is decided yet or only being contemplated at this time. The info on Aviation Week is on a secured server so I can't post here for you. The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777

Trvlr

Wed Nov 08, 2000 6:06 am

LAX? I would imagine the NRT flights from there are very profitabe.

Aaron G.

The777Man

Wed Nov 08, 2000 6:15 am

That's what the article said. There's a lot of competition on LAX-NRT and MH doesn't fly it daily, they also fly via TPE to KUL at night. Perhaps they will reconsider and fly 777s to LAX daily via TPE ? The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777

SR3496

Wed Nov 08, 2000 8:27 am

If this happen, then can really close the KLIA. It would be too big. But I don't belive this news, even when it is written it this Aviation News. It must be wrong!

CX747
Topic Author

ASA340-300E And Others.

Wed Nov 08, 2000 9:39 am

AFa340-300E: I got this information from my "paper" copy of Aviation Week and Space Technology.

Avion: No, this is not a joke. As stated above, it comes directly from Aviation Week and Space Technology, Vol 153, No. 19, November 6, 2000 pg 41

Trvlr: The article states, "The daily Kuala Lumpur-Los Angeles service, once seen as a "gold mine" route, would terminate in Tokyo three times a week and in Taipei four times weekly, with ongoing service operated on a code-share basis with Northwest Airlines, which operates Kuala Lumpur-Kansai services three times weekly with connections to more than 200 cities in the U.S."
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

Wed Nov 08, 2000 10:50 am

Quite a confliting article from Aviation Week and Space Technology. I have no idea where they get the news from. By the way, the only route and fleet reduction I could really accept will be for the Domestic route with B734/5. However, this will not results in significant impact due to the extra service with larger aircraft during the festival seasons.

I have no idea why MAS want to cut their European route (except Amsterdam and Londan). As far as I concerned, they have been trying to get extra landing slot in Paris but fail to do so for years. Beside that, they also increase their capacity for manchester from B777 to B747 with the plan to increase frequency. If they are losing money on these route, why they want to cut it?

Talking about route/frequency reduction strategy, it totally oppposite as what happenned in Australia. From this July 12, MAS has increased it frequency to Perth from 12 to 14, all with B777 (they used to have some A330 on the Morning flight from Perth). Beside that, they have been advertised so much in the local newspaper (The WestAustralian).

If MAS want to cut route and frequency, it will be even more uncompetitive as compared to it's main rival SIA. Maybe MAS has been loosing all it's customers to SIA, but I'm pretty sure the reasons is because of higher ticket price charged by MAS (normally at least 10% higher) while for business travellers, SIA provides more appealing premium products and services with the comprehensive timetable and members of the Star Alliance as well.

Just some of the personal though as a Malaysian...

steman

Wed Nov 08, 2000 10:59 am

Hi,
if they will drop the Rome-Kuala Lumpur flight in code share with Alitalia, then AZ will have to do the flight on its own: they'll drop it too.
Ciao

Stefano

ryu2

Wed Nov 08, 2000 11:11 am

How about their other US service, EWR-Dubai-KL? Any word on whether that will that get cut?

SQ777

Wed Nov 08, 2000 2:32 pm

Personally, I feel that MAS has the following problems :

1) Fly to too many destinations twice or three times a week.

2) Have too many different type of aircraft. For example, I use to fly KUL - BKK, sometime it is a 737, sometime it can be a 777 or A330.

3) Not in a major alliances - e.g. Star or One world.

4) Inconsistent timetable - e.g. their KUL - LAX sector. on certain day, it departs in the day, while on some day it departs at night.

5) Poor working attitude of their staffs at KLIA. They spend more time talking and having fun with each other than serving the customers.

bibeb

Wed Nov 08, 2000 5:47 pm

I agree on some points with SQ777. MAS should really join an alliance ASAP and use that in their branding, because at this moment, they cannot differentiate from other airlines. Everybody knows SIA/CX and their products, but after that, nobody knows the difference between Thai, Garuda, MAS and Philippines.
Together with partners, they can offer daily flights to busy destinations. So twice daily to AMS with KL and then connecting on KL flights through Europe, twice-daily to LHR with VS. They should keep their widebodies and only use them on thrunk routes. BTW, EWR route is doing good.
Perfect alliance partners are KL/NW, VS (although attched to SIA).

G-KIRAN

Wed Nov 08, 2000 8:49 pm

I agree with SQ777 about the staff at KLIA.Most of them are so arrogant and cocky that it really annoys you.This is also ture about the immigration and customs personal as well.When compared to Changi,KLIA has a better environment due to the fact that it was recently built,but the staff there pull the image of the airport down.
As for MAS they really need to join a major alliance instead of forming code-shares with airlines.This could be the reason why MAS is losing out to THAI,Cathay and SIA as they belong to major alliances and thus they have access to thousands of passengers.
Another point about KLIA I have to bring up is that everytime I go there which is about once every month the airport is virtually empty with only domestic and singapore flights.Whats going on?

Billy

Wed Nov 08, 2000 9:26 pm

I do not know where Bibeb gets his EWR info from, but the EWR flight is very unprofitable for MAS. Expect it to be cut or rerouted.

Wed Nov 08, 2000 10:11 pm

I simply cannot believe they are cutting their flight to MAN. They started flying the 7772ER, and then upgraded to 744, and now they are chopping the route? If this is true, they really need to think more carefully at the planning stage it appears.

And Phileo, why would MH want to cut their London flights?? Especially when BA has pulled out?

LH738

Wed Nov 08, 2000 10:27 pm

MAS is in no alliance and so they have problems in countries with a strong national airline. E.g. in Germany the Miles & More awards system attracts the business travelers (who will prefer a star alliance flight). They will mainly get tourists from these countries and their business or even first class seats remain empty.

lxlgu

Wed Nov 08, 2000 10:49 pm

I spoke to Johannesburg office of MAS this morning
and they expect JNB KUL to be daily as of 01April 2001.
The route is always fully booked and we battle to get
seats.I would think maybe the continuation to Buenos
Aires may be cancelled

Cheers!

jr

Wed Nov 08, 2000 11:09 pm

Is MAS state owned or do they just have bad management? May be they should join skyteam and let DL help sort things out. Isn't delta looking for another asian partner?
I've flown on 9V-SPK.

gkirk

Thu Nov 09, 2000 2:02 am

What a load of BS that is !!! The MAN route is very successful so why would they want to stop it, hell Ive even heard that they are going to increase freq to daily in the future.
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

The777Man

Thu Nov 09, 2000 3:28 am

I agree a lot with SQ777 and think that MH should concentrate on fewer cities in Europe, but increase frequency to the ones they keep. I think they should get rid of ZRH, VIE and MAN. They could serve MAN thru LHR or AMS with codeshare and similiar to the other cities. I'm also surprised that EWR wasn't mentioned. I also think daily service to JNB seems like a great idea. I also think MH should fly daily KUL-TPE-LAX and discontinue LAX-NRT. I'm also surprised about this article and that we haven't heard anything before about this. Time will tell. The777Man

avion

Thu Nov 09, 2000 3:47 am

I dont think Zurich gets cancelled. The 777 flight is 6x times a week and runs at 87%.

Avion

OO-VEG

Thu Nov 09, 2000 3:52 am

MAS definately needs a European partner and because MAS already has code-shared flights with KLM between MAS and KUL (recently they also added code-share destinations to Europe and the Pacific) it may be a logical step for MAS to join the KLM/NWA alliance.
KLIA could be a nice Asia-hub for NWA and KLM because of so much free slots while MAS will get a much stronger position in Europe and the USA.

What do you think of it?

lamyl_hhlco

Thu Nov 09, 2000 3:59 am

If they do such a thing, is that they might be in real finacial difficulties, and they are probably expect more on the code share with Virgin ...it's appearing abvious the airline doesn't know what it is doing...a day before they order a billion $ of airplanes and then callel everything or cut off it's fleet in a half...who's gonna do that?? come on MAS!!!

MAS777

Thu Nov 09, 2000 4:45 am

Whilst it may be true that MAS is looking to reduce its 747-400 fleet - this move may be a means to generate cash and reverse its balance sheet.

Although many may be sceptical about this article - it may not be too far from the truth. MAS may need to do this in order to make it far more attractive to its potential buyer...which now has KLM as its front-runner.

In light of this, MAS may be looking at terminating flights into LAX and EWR as a way of consolidating its East Asian routes. This would make MAS more attractive for Northwest to possibly acquire a stake too - and provide ALL onward connecting services into the USA from Tokyo, Osaka, Hong Kong, Seoul and Taipei.

In Europe - the same would occur with KLM operating many services for MAS out of Amsterdam - creating a hub-and-spoke operation for MAS at AMS. Whilst MAS has NO intention of reducing capacity to London as this is STILL MAS' prime route, MAS may wave farewell to Manchester as connecting services may efficiently be handled via AMS. The same is true for many other European cities it currently flies to.

In Australia and NZ however - the picture is reversed - with KLM pulling out of Sydney and all services replaced with passengers transferring onto MAS aircraft at KUL.

This move will allow MAS to utilise its aircraft more efficiently on shorter routes and allow MAS to build up its Asian presence - for example with better services into India, China, East Asia and also provide more services into Africa.

So although the move may seem drastic for now - this could be a very good move by the airline in the interim to regroup itself before purchasing a new fleet of aircraft.

(BTW Jr : MAS is partly state owned and is also partly badly run. However I don't think DL will provide the answer. Malaysian aviation is tricky and MAS still in a way deserves a medal for being where it is today - incidently I am not an MAS fan - but give credit where its due.

MAS has operated for the last 28 years under the shadow of its twin SIA which began operations with a full International network of 737s and 707s. MAS only began with a small fleet of F27s and a handful of 737s for domestic and regional flights. MAS operates under significant constraint on the domestic front where it has until recently been forced to charge ridiculously low fares. Malaysia has also had tighter air service agreements with other countries which has meant KUL lagging behind SIN - so MAS has often found itself between a rock and a hard place.)

Megatop747-412

Thu Nov 09, 2000 6:11 am

Yeah - Mas777 is right about the difficult position facing MAS from the day MSA split into SIA and MAS. Altho I'm not an MAS fan either, I think they're in quite a difficult situation. AS Mas 777 mentioend, way back from the split in 1972, SIA got the B737s and B707s and th4e bulk on MSA's long range international route, whereas MAS got the F27s and B737s for domestic routes and some regional routes. Hence, if you look at it, MAS virtually rebuilt their international network from scratch from 1972 onwards, which proves to be tough. Load factor has never really been too high for them, and they only got their first B747 in the 1980 (if I'm not mistaken) - I remember they used to fly their DC-10 to LAX via NRT when they first started, before upgrading to a B744.

Another thing is that MAS has been forced to charge very low fares for their domestic sector (as mentioned by Mas777). As a pax/consumer its good for me, but I know it's not fgood for Mas. They seem to have to use whatever profits they can churn out from their int'l route to cover the losses for their domestic routes, which again is difficult cos int'l route are very competitive too, so they're in a really difficult position.

Granted that MAS has had some bad management, but it's not the only factor that's plaguing them now. As an aviation fan, it'll be sad to see MAS cut their routes, but I think it's logical too, especially with regards to MAN. Not sure if they really had so many pax on the route, but I recall SQ started flying to MAN in the 1980s, but only had 2 flight per week, and for many many years they kept in that way (with a stop between too), until recently (last year I think) only did they serve MAN daily. And they still serve MAN with a stop, either via BOM, AMS, CDG or ZRH... MAS, on the other hand, started MAN about 15 months ago and initially they flew twice weekly B777 via MUC, then the upgrade to B744 and flew non-stop KUL-MAN only - I did wonder is it really true pax load is so good they they're willing to do B744s KUL-MAN (without stop or onward from MAN)??? That could be a case of "management short-sightedness" - and they're now thinking of reversing it...! It took SQ a good 15 years to build up their MAN services, and as I knew it, pax bound for MAN on SQ's services from SIN are not high - mostly out of their intermediate points (especialy BOM)...

So there you have it - my view of things - which in large part is similar to what Mas777 has pointed out... I do hope they get things organised soon and hopefully will balance their book well too...

Thu Nov 09, 2000 7:18 am

Thanks MAS777 and Megatop747. Regarding the MAN issue, I was surprised that MAS even served this airport; subsequent upgrading to 744 equipment really surprised me, especially the non-stop service, so perhaps it was a mistake by MH to get involved there, considering the presence of SQ, EK and perhaps even CX (in terms of competition).

I have no idea what the EZE loads are like, but MH are using a combi 744, so perhaps the cargo loads keep that route open-I flew twice on the JNB-CPT-EZE sectors (744pax/742), and the loads were very poor, so MH
may give Buenos Aires the chop, which would be a shame from the novelty point of view (only Asian airline ever to operate into EZE).

Megatop747-412

Thu Nov 09, 2000 9:51 am

Hi Capt.Picard:

I was actually quite surprised to find that MH operated to MAN a while ago (think it started in 1998/1999) - I manahed to get hold of a copy of ther printed timetable and saw on the cover a picture of Old Trafford (Manchester United's home ground stadium) - guess lots of Malaysian follow soccer and Man Utd has a big support (soory - out of topic!)... And details inside revealed they flew via MUC on 777 twice weekly, later upg to a B744 NON-STOP POINT-TO-PONIT!!! Could be a mistake here.. For the record on SQ's ops into MAN, initially they flew B743 combis in the 80s, so I guess cargo must be good, before upgrading to B744s. Mind you, MAN is one of the last of SQ's European routes to be operated with B744s! And I remember QF used to fly to MAN too (extension of their QF9/10 SYD-MEL-SIN-LHR service), at one point daily, before dropping altogether after BA's 25% stake in them.

And I still do believe EZE to prove profitable for them in terms of cargo, as they use the combi B744s (as you mentioned)... I'm not fully sure abt what happenning, but I think MH may still want to keep the route open, and with that, they seem to hold onto their B744 combi (2 of them, their only 2 B744s that were GE powered). From a maintenence point of view, I think they would want to try and get rid of these GE powered B744s fast, but then they're their ONLY combi aircraft left...Not too sure what could happen, but they may yet keep these aircraft for the sake of such routes! Just my 2 cents of thought!

Thu Nov 09, 2000 10:08 am

To Cap.Picard,

I NEVER mentioned in my post that "MAS want to cut their London route'. Please read my post carefully and examine your statement.

Regards
Phileo

G-KIRAN

Thu Nov 09, 2000 12:31 pm

MAS needs to build up their world image.I presume to most travellers SIA is the logical choice to KUL as most of them have never heard of MAS.MAS also got bad publicity in the UK when its 747s almost ran out of fuel on several occasions while holding over london this could have a very small negative effect on most peoples minds.
As most of us know most of the major european airlines now dont operate into KLIA so this gives MAS a 'monoploy' to play with.By advertising in countries like Germany,France and the UK they will be able to pull away some of the SIA passengers who travel to KLIA via SIN.
Alot of posts mention MSA.This was an airline jointly operated by the governments of Singapore and Malaysia.They split because the Singapore gov want the airline to focus on international routes while the Malaysians wanted to focus on domestic routes.So when the airline broke SIA expanded their international routes,while MAS was still building up its domestic network and till this day MAS still lags behind SIA in reputation.
Until the asian economic slowdown MAS was a profitable carrier,but due to they devaluation of the ringit the are operating in the red,also MAS loses alot of money on some of its domestic routes as well.

PerthGloryFan

Thu Nov 09, 2000 3:39 pm

It seems to me that MH are trying to decide what sort of airline they want to be. Right from the start SQ and CX were international carriers and so developed market share and reputation in this arena.
As stated here by others, MH started as essentially a domestic carrier, then expanded into the east asia market and then was required to fly the flag in Europe and the Americas with routing perhaps based on diplomancy rather than economics.
Patchy frequencies can be an issue, but, for example, SQ does not fly SIN-Rome-SIN daily, as I found to my surprise when I had to adjust my recent itinerary, but the FCO-SIN A340 flight was still full.
The innovative EZE route for MH probably doesn't pay but it looks good on the world route map. Asia/Oceania to South America has always seemed problematic - Qantas dabbled in south Pacific flights through Mexico in the 1960s and more recently to South America proper in the 1990s but has left all that to code sharing now.
Here in Western Australia MH appears to be highly respected - in 1999 at times they offered the cheapest fares to Europe and to South Africa(!) resulting in good loadings on their twice daily PER-KUL A330/B777 flights.
Yes, PER-KUL-JNB with MH was cheaper than PER-JNB non-stop with QF or SA, but I don't know what the yields were; maybe that's the problem also - a plane full of pax, especially non-premium, doesn't necessarily mean handsome profits.
So we seem to be saying is that MH needs some clear future directions and a partner/alliance membership if it wants to be seen as a global airline.

gkirk

Thu Nov 09, 2000 5:14 pm

I thought the MAN route had high pax loads each time? Maybe they could just downgrade it to a 777 instead of dropping it altogether?
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Thu Nov 09, 2000 5:19 pm

Apologies Phileo, I misread your post.

MAS777

Fri Nov 17, 2000 7:54 am

There doesn't seem to be much of a follow up on this story by MAS or any other publication...

The777Man

Fri Nov 17, 2000 4:54 pm

The schedule for MH flights from LAX to KUL is zeroed out in availability from 1 Apr 01 and onwards in Apollo. The flight is still there but I think it will be cancelled. None of the other MH international flights have any similiar indication. The777Man

na

Fri Nov 17, 2000 6:18 pm

Just for information: An article about Malaysia reducing its fleet (with the same figures as above) was also published in this months "World Airline Fleets news".

MAS777

Sat Nov 18, 2000 5:53 am

According to American Express - only certain services are cancelled during April 2001 as Malaysia Airlines will be altering its schedule to LAX that month perhaps due to aircraft availability.

There will be additional services however travelling with Northwest between LAX and NRT and KIX connecting on to MAS' KIX/NRT-KUL service. From June 2001, MAS schedule seems to be back to normal.