Why Saab Does Not Produce Jets?

Fri Nov 10, 2000 5:32 pm

Why SAAB does not produce jets?
Any ideas?

traveler_7

n949wp

They Do!

Fri Nov 10, 2000 6:15 pm

SAAB does produce jets. Only that instead of carry passengers and cargo, those SAAB jets carry bombs and missiles!!

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Georg MADER

'949

prebennorholm

RE: They Do!

Sat Nov 11, 2000 1:31 am

Saab ONLY produces jet planes. And only one type, the JAS-39 Gripen fighter for the Flygvapnet (Swedish Air Force).

(Plus spare parts for old planes like type 37 Viggen fighter and type 340/2000 airliners).

Best regards, Preben Norholm
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

JetService

RE: Why Saab Does Not Produce Jets?

Sat Nov 11, 2000 3:05 am

I asked this question awhile ago. I had taken an image of the SF340, removed the prop engines and hug 2 jet engines on it. It looked pretty good!
Would've been a fine looking plane. Of course from an appearance stand-point, I suspect the wings would've been swept a tad more. I was told that Saab no longer manufactures commercial aircraft, only military as aforementioned.
"Shaddap you!"

F-WWKH

RE: Why Saab Does Not Produce Jets?

Sat Nov 11, 2000 4:00 am

Preben, do you know the status of the S2000 prototypes in Linkoeping (?) - can they be seen from outside, maybe stored? Thanks in advance  

prebennorholm

RE: F-WWKH

Tue Nov 14, 2000 5:04 am

F-WWKH wrote:
-------------------------------
Preben, do you know the status of the S2000 prototypes in Linkoeping (?) - can they be seen from outside, maybe stored? Thanks in advance
-------------------------------

Sorry F-WWKH, I have absolutely no idea.
Last time I passed by Linkoeping was in my car on my way to Estonia - going to Stockholm harbour to reach the good ship Estonia which happened to sink with 800+ fatalities shortly later. I noticed that in front of the factory along the highway were several old SAAB types presented at different attitudes on a concrete column. Among them was a 340, but certainly no 2000. I think that there was also a J-29 Tunnan and a Type 91 Safir, maybe more - there must have been a J-35 Draken and an A-32 Lansen, but I really don't remember. It must have been 1993 or 94.
By the way, does everybody know what SAAB means? It's an abbreviation of "Svenska Aeroplan Aktie Bolaget". It is plain Swedish language and it means Swedish Aeroplane Company inc. /(Ltd.)
Best regards, Preben Norholm
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos