Matt D
Topic Author

North American (The Airline)

Sat Nov 11, 2000 5:04 am

Can anyone supply me with some info on what appears to be a North American Airlines?
When I was at JFK, I happened to snap a pic of a North American 738. I also seem to recall seeing one in a 757 livery a few years back.
So.....are they?

A scheduled airline I'm not aware of?
A public charter?
A private charter?
A DBA of some kind?

Where are they based? Fleet and how many of each
Where do they fly?

EyeSky

RE: North American (The Airline)

Sat Nov 11, 2000 5:48 am

Matt D,

North American is a charter airline that operates a lot of sports charters and works with cruise lines. George W. Bush's campaign chartered one of their 757's for his travels during the recent presidential campaign.

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Jason Knutson

I know that they also do a lot of connecting flight work with El Al out of JFK and YUL. There was a feature article about them in Airliners Magazine earlier this year.

They are based our of JFK and operate a fleet of 738's and 752's but I can't tell you how many of each type.

You can read more about them at the following website:

http://www.northamair.com/

EyeSky  

SegmentKing

Sat Nov 11, 2000 6:04 am

Isn't LASV Enterprises trying to buy or aquire them, fill them with capital, and basicly start a large scale operation?

Nate
~ ~ ~ ~ pRoFeSsIoNaL hUrRiCaNe DoDgEr ~ ~ ~ ~

trintocan

Sat Nov 11, 2000 1:54 pm

As can be seen on the website, they offer worldwide charters but are particularly prominent in Guyana, to which they fly twice weekly using 757-200s. North American is the only US carrier into Guyana. I remember seeing their office and billboard advertisements in Georgetown when I was there earlier this year.

Trintocan.
Hop to it, fly for life!

N960AS

Sat Nov 11, 2000 3:29 pm

All I've heard about them is that they are like a regional carrier for El Al. El Al found it more economical most of the time to put passangers on one of their 738s/752s at JFK to take them to LAX then putting them back on a 747 and flying that out west. Although El Al does sometimes fly 742s/744s to LAX. I know North American flies from JFK to MIA, LAX and sometimes ORD for El Al connections. The airline used to operate MD-80s, but sadly they got rid of them, but they did have a good reason. It was that they couldn't fly them from JFK to LAX without lots of load restrictions. All I really know....
~N960AS