Skystar
Topic Author

What Is The LH Symbol Called?

Sat Nov 11, 2000 7:33 pm

Hi,

I was wondering what the name of the LH symbol is? That yellow "crane", bird.

I remember someone telling me it was something like "Spiegelei", but that's fried egg   Naturally, I'm a bit suspicious.

Cheers,

Justin

Aer Lingus

RE: What Is The LH Symbol Called?

Sat Nov 11, 2000 7:43 pm

emmmmmm......
That does sound suspicious ! I'm not a native German but I do learn the language in School. Ei is an egg alright, as far I can remember. Someone is definitely pulling your leg !

Martin

Sat Nov 11, 2000 8:12 pm

Well, the (crested) crane is actually blue and it's flying past the moon or sun whatever mood you're in I guess. The "Spiegelei" is actually true. I know that LH pilot's and most other LH employee's call it that... I guess it's the yellow circle which reminds them of a yoke of an egg...(and then there's of course the bird). But to finish, yes LH employees refer to it as the "Spiegelei" which means Fried Egg.

Regards: Sven

Sat Nov 11, 2000 8:44 pm

"Spiegelei" may be correct but when I'm listening to the ATC I've never heard that.
In DUS LH is called "Lufthansa".

But I like "Spiegelei"

Cheers,
Stephan

Sat Nov 11, 2000 8:57 pm

Well, obviously the pilots aren't going to say "Frankfurt tower, this is Spiegelei heavy...". Spiegelei is just an affectionate way of calling their logo. Another nickname for Lufthansa is "Lufti" or "Luffe" in Scandinavia. It's not their call sign or anything like that...

avion

Sat Nov 11, 2000 10:35 pm

The lufthansa symbol is actually called "Kranich" or "Crane".

Avion