caribb

Do You Really Want To Travel Through Hubs?

Sun Nov 12, 2000 4:25 am

Question - Do people really prefer going to their final destination via a hub city? would it not be preferable to fly nonstop?

Air Canada began using CRJs to many smaller market US destinations proclaiming the jets a hub busters. It has also taken off with the US regional express companies (American Eagle, Comair & Continental Express etc.). Air Canada by the way basically captured most of the Canada-US market and has kept US airlines twice their size at bay partly due to this strategy.

From an airline's point of view I understand the economics of a hub. However, as we are the traveling public, shouldn't we be demanding to fly nonstop to as many cities as we can rather than finding ourselves caught up in a huge busy airport looking for our connections? Today's aircraft technology should be able to provide us with what we want.. There seems to be an aircraft for almost every type of market there is. ...or do we just really prefer using busy centralized hubs?

gkirk

RE: Do You Really Want To Travel Through Hubs?

Sun Nov 12, 2000 6:41 am

I would prefer not to but i see the reason why some people want to travel through hubs, for the spotting point of view.
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

blink182

Sun Nov 12, 2000 7:01 am

Since I live at a major hub for AA and DL I can't really comment but for the passenger who lives in a small town and needs to get to another town, I would much rather fly non-stop. For the airline point of view, I think it makes a lot of sence to have hubs
rgds,
blink182
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

Sun Nov 12, 2000 7:08 am

Depends on the airport.
The small airports can't have all the nonstops.
Medium sized airports should have some "essentials" - the most popular destinations.
But still traveling through a hub can be fun cause you see so many cool airplanes from different countries.

Rgds, B737-700

Soku39

Sun Nov 12, 2000 7:20 am

I'm not exactly a frequent flyer but when I do fly I enjoy going through hubs the one that I go to the most (ORD) is a hub to AA and UAL I find waiting for late planes kinda fun. (remember I'm not a frequent flyer) but for short regional hops on AAeagle going through big airports is a PAIN.
The Ohio Player

KROC

Sun Nov 12, 2000 7:30 am

Sure a non-stop flight to anywhere you want to go would be nice, but remember, its the HUB system that keeps flying somewhat affordable.

ahlfors

Sun Nov 12, 2000 9:12 am

It all comes down to economics. Wold you like to pay $500 for a no-stop ticket or $300 for a hub ticket?