airmale

Pet Friendly Airliners

Mon Nov 13, 2000 8:37 pm

cant a/c manufacturers build compartments in planes to especially keep pets in instead of dumping them in the cargo hold amongst luggage, a place where their owners can check on them during the flight, i think it would be a success 
.....up there with the best!

RE: Pet Friendly Airliners

Mon Nov 13, 2000 9:56 pm

Actualy, pets are not in cargo hold, they travel in a special pressurized compartment.
But it is true dogs don't enjoy theyre flight as much as us...
At the airport somebody,comed and tooked her, and I could see her face looking at us and barking of scare.
When I tooked back my dog at the airport ( She was all alone in the middle of nowhere with others dogs that were crying in theyr cage ).

CPDC10-30

Mon Nov 13, 2000 10:08 pm

I hear US Airways happily accepts pigs in the first class cabin  

Mon Nov 13, 2000 10:20 pm

I remember, when I moved to Canada my cat travelled with me. I remember how scared he was too when the guy when to take him when we checked in, and when we got to Montreal when i picked him up he was under sedative so he was very weird, not something i would like to see everyday.

The Ticketor

Tue Nov 14, 2000 12:38 am

Well, L'espace180, they DO travel in the hold, and the hold is pressurized. There are strict rules regarding how much space there must be around the cage. This is dependant upon the size (weight) of the animal in question. Example: A dog weighing 30kg (like mine does) would require a minimum of 0,6 cubic metres of air around him for a 1 hour flight, 1,1 cubic m for a 2 hour flight and so on. Usually you round upwards to the nearest half/full cubic meter due to possible delays and so on. The "flight time" is for this purpose defined as how long the belly is actually closed, not the flying time. For a 12 hour flight, he would require 6,8 cubic metres! No wonder many airlines have commercial embargos on pets in hold (so called AVIH) on long haul flights. Most airlines recommend that you do NOT sedate your animal. You never know what will happen to the animal, and a sedated animal can swallow his tongue for example. Not all cargo holds have adjustable temperatures. We have a list of our acfts and where we should place animals depending on the a/c type and temperature.

If you have seen BBC´s "Airport", you have seen some good, and some awful, examples of animals being transported.

Starship

Tue Nov 14, 2000 3:09 am

Way back in the pre-security days, I boarded an SAA Boeing 727 with a puppy in my carry-on baggage! She slept on my lap for the two hour flight and everybody thought she was so cute. The cabin crew were fine with it.

However, it wouldn't work now. How times have changed.......
Behind every "no" is a "yes"

ussherd

Tue Nov 14, 2000 3:31 am

I flew with Alitalia last year from MXP to South America, and a little girl had her pet terrier along. She was walking up and down the aisle with it quite openly. Maybe it had something to do with the new pet passports you can get in Europe....
Cada loco con su tema...

Hepkat

Tue Nov 14, 2000 5:09 am

I've taken Air France, KLM and I think Sabena and Alitalia with my cat. It was no problem whatsoever. The key is, to make your booking early and request that the pet travel with you in the cabin. Obviously this will only work if you have a small animal like a cat or small dog. Most airlines only allow one pet per cabin, that's why it's imortant to book early. No need to sedate the animal, my cat has crossed the atlantic 4 or 6 times without needing sedatives. They handle it just fine. My vet has told me that these so called "pets" are designed to go days without food, so my 12 hour flight from San Francisco to CDG was no big deal. My cat just sat there the whole trip, sometimes on my lap. As a matter of fact, the airport spooked him more than the actual fight itself!

Hepkat

UAL Bagsmasher

Tue Nov 14, 2000 6:22 am

IMHO, one of the best things UA ever did was to enact the pet embargo. If the owners of these pets that were being shipped saw how nervous and frightened their animals got, they would think twice about sending them on an aircraft. The Ramp is not the place for any pet to be. It's extremely loud, full of exhaust fumes, not to mention it's full of people the animal has never seen before. The aircraft pits themselves are dark and crowded. Yes, kennels must have open space around them when loaded, but we all know how contents in the overhead bins move about during takeoff and landing. The same is true in the cargo holds. I know there are cargo nets, but if the pits aren't completly full, the baggage and whatever else is in there still slides back and forth quite a bit...this includes Fido and Fluffy.
Another thing that amazes me is the cheap garbage some pet owners buy in the way of a kennel. We have had countless kennels open up inside the aircraft resulting in a pet getting loose. One I know of ran across the airfield and was never found. Folks...If you are going to pay to ship your animal, at least buy a kennel that will do its job properly.
I will also mention that most Rampers don't enjoy loading or unloading kennels. They are bulky, cheaply constucted, and are a pain to deal with. We also don't like seeing animals being subjected to the stress of a long flight in a pitch black cargo compartment. Please thnk twice about shipping your pets on an aircraft. If you love them so much, then pay for someone to take care of them while you are on vacation.

VirginLover

Tue Nov 14, 2000 6:37 am

I heard that JetBlue accepts dogs under 20 pounds including the carrier in the cabin area.

The Ticketor

Tue Nov 14, 2000 6:16 pm

Some carriers accept pets in the cabin (PETC), some don´t. Those that do has restrictions of course. Most european carriers limit the weight to 8 kg and has the same size restrictions as carry-on baggage. However, pets are not included in the allowance, so you have to pay excess for it. Some carriers will only accept dogs and cats, others will accept all non-dangerous animals (such as rabbits and so on). Pax with PETC are pre seated, normally in the rear. Some carriers allow several PETC on the same flight, some only one. The one I work for allows two per flight. You may, if possible, carry more than one pet per pax in the cabin as long as the restrictions are met. This would obviously be very small pets. If there are several pets o/b unknown to eachother, we seat them with at least 10 rows in between. If an allergic pax so requires when booking his flight, we can block the flight so that no PETC are allowed. Large pigs are not allowed on our flights.

airmale

Wed Nov 15, 2000 12:51 am

but wouldnt it be better if passengers were allowed to place their pets themselves in a special area on the a/c where they could keep tab on them during the flight like the rest area for F/As 
.....up there with the best!

The Ticketor

Wed Nov 15, 2000 7:05 pm

That would be great, but to costly. Airlines usually want as many seats as possible in the cabin (as some of you may have noticed), and using perfectly good cabin space for pets, when they could have a few seats with fare paying pax in them, is probably not something airline executives would jump at. Especially considering that the vast majority of flights have no pets o/b to start with.

L-188

Wed Nov 15, 2000 7:32 pm

Things that I used to see on the last day of hunting season.

We had a 727 combi made up in three pallet configuration. We had two flats topside with four large kennels on each. and then two more strapped to the floor forward of those two.

Then we had two cat kennels that went into the aircraft belly.

Talk about a zoo.

Seriously though on the combis that I used to work for we usually tried to put the animals in the upstairs cargo area. Just felt it was better for the animals.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

nwa747-400

Thu Nov 16, 2000 3:06 am

Northwest is pet friendly

They have a whole program called "priority pet"

When I flew them last summer the FA brought me a slip of paper before the door was closed and told me my dog was fine. The checkin agents were really friendly too. Even the agent in the baggage office came out and wanted to see my dog.

I know they also let pets in the cabin because I have seen them before.