HB-IWC
Topic Author

Problems Persist For Sabena's MD11s

Wed Nov 15, 2000 11:44 am

We already discussed in some prior topics the not very reliable operation of Sabena's 2 MD11's OO-CTC and OO-CTS.

The airline is currently again involved in a lot of problems with one of their 2 aircraft, this time OO-CTC.

The aircraft hasn't been operating for a couple of days now, and has been replaced by Citybirds OO-CTB a couple of times, and some flights, including yesterday's JNB run have been cancelled.

Today's sollution is, however, without any predicessor... OO-CTS will operate its normal JNB route, whereas the flight that was due to be operated by OO-CTC, namely

BRU-CKY
CKY-BJL
BJL-CKY
CKY-BRU

will now be operated by OO-SNE, an A320 by all means!!!

I don't know whether the poor a/c will be able to make the 3000 something miles to and from CKY without technical stop, for sure given the weather conditions at take of in Africa.

sndp

RE: Problems Persist For Sabena's MD11s

Wed Nov 15, 2000 6:13 pm

The lease agreement between CityBird and SN for the MD-11s will terminate very soon. Probably Sabena is going to phase out these planes. They would better keep more airbusses in the fleet, now intended to be sold (as part of cost savings) and throw these MD-11s out.
sndp

HB-IWC
Topic Author

Wed Nov 15, 2000 6:43 pm

If I remember well, the MD11s were leased from Citybird for a period of 5 years. As they started operating in april and may 1998 respectively, I suppose they won't go off-lease for a while, unless SN decides to break up the contract, but that could be even more costly than continuing to operate these aircraft.

frequentflyer

Thu Nov 16, 2000 1:41 am

Any idea what those problems are?
I know an AA Mechanic who told me they have electrical problems quite often.
Take off and live