Mason
Topic Author

Does The US Have A Flag Carrier?

Thu Nov 16, 2000 1:54 pm

Most countries have a "flag carrier" such as KLM is the Dutch flag carrier and Tahi is the flag carrier of Tahiland. What is the flag carrier in the US? I know that UA, NWA, DL, US, AA, and TW all have the flag on their aircraft. I am not sure about Southwest, Alaska, or HP. Also, who is the flag carrier of the UK? How about Japan: JAL or ANA or both? Thanks in advance.

advancedkid

RE: Does The US Have A Flag Carrier?

Thu Nov 16, 2000 2:14 pm

Thats a looong story.
First of all one has to see the difference
of structures between the US-airlines and those
of the rest of the world. In the US all the
airlines were/are privately owned since the
very days when aviation was born.
In Europe however, as well as the rest of
the world, every country started its own
national airline and that was logically a state
owned enterprise.
I think that's enough for tonight..yaawn.
I hope my little info gave you some insight.
Regards,
Advancedkid

CPDC10-30

Thu Nov 16, 2000 2:56 pm

Hmmm....have we heard this topic before?  

There is NO official flag carrier in the US because of the limited government involvement and great competition.

Thu Nov 16, 2000 8:57 pm

British Ariways is the flag carrier of the UK.

Thu Nov 16, 2000 11:20 pm

No, but United is as close as you can get....

neder99

Fri Nov 17, 2000 12:41 am

OK, I know that this doesn't really relate to the topic, but,
Mason, it's actually Thai and the country is Thailand, NOT Tahi & Tahiland!!!!!!
(next time, you can read the "confirm message" page, point nr.3: Is spelling OK !!!!!!!!, or then maybe if you didn't know how to spell those two words, now you do!!!)

Fri Nov 17, 2000 12:49 am

Althought the U.S. does not have a flag carrier per se (i.e. a government owned airline), you can count any U.S. airline with International destinations as a Flag Carrier since it represents the U.S. abroad.

UA, AA, DL, NW, CO, US, TW, HP, AS, and TZ are major U.S airlines that are flag carriers. WN is not because they only serve U.S. destinations. Hey, even Air Tran and Comair are considered Flag Carriers because they serve destinations in the Bahamas and Canada (Comair does anyway).

Oscar Tango

blink182

Fri Nov 17, 2000 8:57 am

American and UsAirways  
rgds,
blink182
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

b757300

Fri Nov 17, 2000 9:34 am

Probably the closest thing to a flag carrier the U.S. has ever had was Pan American World Airways.

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © William Tauer

"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

polaris

Fri Nov 17, 2000 9:35 am

In the past, Pan American World Airways was the American flag carrier...TWA was the second American flag carrier. A flag carrier is the airline or airlines that represent your country outside your borders. This airline is usually designated in bilateral agreements between countries.

Currently, there are quite a few American flag carriers as described by G-SPOT a few posts above this one.

Ady

Fri Nov 17, 2000 9:38 am

The US doesn't have a flag carrier, but in my opinion I think American Airlines should have that title.
If u ever feel depressed about urself, just remember that at one time you were the most vicious sperm in ur group.

Soku39

Fri Nov 17, 2000 9:47 am

Tis is almost like Britain where they have VIrgin and BA carrying the flag (despite the world tails the Union jack is considered the ''flag'').
The Ohio Player

N312RC

Fri Nov 17, 2000 9:55 am

Pan Am or TWA was the closest... Now, probably American....
N/A

aa737

Fri Nov 17, 2000 10:03 am

Slightly off topic, but I believe Virgin is the official flag carrier of the UK. BA lost the title of flag carrier when they introduced the world colors and virgin stepped up to take BAs role as flag carrier.

Fri Nov 17, 2000 10:23 am

Blink182, I agree with you just before I said. WAY TO GO man   hehehhehe light me a cigar man. im smokey here hahahahah

Baec777XX  

airmale

Sat Nov 18, 2000 4:02 am

i think the U.S govt should take over PanAm and make it their flag carrier, please revive the airlines former glory 
.....up there with the best!

Sat Nov 18, 2000 5:00 am

HA! Why American? Just becuase they are called "American" and their planes are painted red white and blue? So What. The U.S. doesn't have an official flag carrier.

advancedkid

Sat Nov 18, 2000 5:09 am

Take a look at a US Airways jet, doesn't it
carry the US flag on the tail  ?? This topic is really funny now.
Regards,
Advancedkid

LaTechpilot

Sat Nov 18, 2000 5:17 am

UAL is the World's largest airline, so that should make them the Earth's flag carrier. Continental has the most international destinations of any US airline, so that should make them the Unites States' flag carrier.

RayChuang

Sat Nov 18, 2000 10:20 am

Right now, the closest thing we have to a US-based "flag carrier" is United Airlines.

The reason is simple: UA took over all over Pan Am's Pacific Division routes, and UA also has flights to Europe.

Mind you, with more and more "open skies" treaties being ratified and many current air treaties up for renegotiation, don't be surprised that the USA will have technically four airlines with "flag carrier" titles 4-5 years from now: American Airlinres, Continental Airlines, Delta Air Lines, and United Airlines.

OPNLguy

Semantics

Sun Nov 19, 2000 1:07 am

Back in the days where each country had one home-based airline that flew internationally, flag carrier designation was largely a cerimonial designation involving national pride, etc.

Today, here in the US at least, it refers to any US-registered airline that operates scheduled service to international points. US Part 121, which governs the majority of operations here in the USA, sometimes differentiates between Domestic operations and Flag operations by the virtue of the type of flight-related differences involved.

As far as I can recall (and someone feel free to correct me), if a US Domestic carrier wants to run a charter to an international destination, it doesn't automatically make them a Flag carrier, since it's *scheduled* international service that's the key. Non-standard operations such as offline domestic charters are handled (per the airline's Ops Specs) as a supplemental operation, and I think international charters would also be.

Outside the US, "Flag" carriers are still largely a cerimonial designation, notwithstanding any regulatory differences within the regulations of the home country...
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

watewate

Sun Nov 19, 2000 2:35 pm

Let's not overlook NWA. They have a significant presence in Asia-Pacific market.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos