PresRDC
Topic Author

Interesting Question

Fri Nov 17, 2000 12:04 am

I'm curious what people think of the feasibility of this. I have an economy ticket on United from LHR to IAD and back that I am not going to use. I know that the ticket is non-refundable. However, the rules for the ticket indicate that if the ticket is upgraded to a business class ticket, it could be canceled after paying the normal economy "cancelation fee." A separate section of the rules indicates that the cancellation fee is 50 British Pounds (about $75). However, there is a syntactical ambiguity in the sense that it is not clear whether the cacelation fee includes the initial cost of the economy ticket in addition to the 50 pund fee.

What I would like to do is get the ticket upgraded to Business Class and then cancel the reservation, paying only the 50 pound cancellation fee.

What do you think?

As a related question, can I use a purchased international economy ticket on a domestic route? I know I would have to pay a changing fee, but is it possible?

Thanks!

mikephotos

RE: Interesting Question

Fri Nov 17, 2000 12:19 am

Normally, you can use any published fare non-refundable ticket (intl or dom) towards purchased of a future trip (intl or dom) on the same airline systemwide. If you give me the "fare basis" listed on your ticket I can check the rules.

Now, regarding your 1st question of exchanging the ticket towards the refundable business class fare. Yes, you can do it but the original exchanged amount is listed on the new refundable ticket as NON REFUNDABLE. So, basically your non-refundable ticket will always be non-refundable.

Hope that helps...

Michael M.