sdate747

Incredibly Cool Short Film! What's That Plane?

Fri Nov 17, 2000 5:18 am

http://www.ifilm.net/ifilm/skeletons/film_detail/0,1263,204155,00.html

I found this short film at iFILM. I really liked it and I think all you guys will too. It's about a plane , either a DC-10 or an MD-11, which makes a landing on LA's 405 freeway. Great special effects! Please look at it, pass it on. And just so you know I had nothing to do with the movie and don't profit from it's success. I am just doing this cause I know you guys will like it. It is 3 or 4 minutes long and can be viewed in Real Player, Windows Media and Quicktime in an assortment of connection speeds. Enjoy. Post reactions here. Link is given below. Now I know this is not exactly the correct forum, but please don't get mad. I think others will enjoy this. I certainly got a big kick out of this movie.
Thanks Everybody!

http://www.ifilm.net/ifilm/skeletons/film_detail/0,1263,204155,00.html

Greeneyes53787

RE: Incredibly Cool Short Film! What's That Plane?

Fri Nov 17, 2000 6:22 am

Hello Sdate747:

I am glad you are representing this information for the ones who haven't yet seen it. I have watched it and many here have.

Probably we should thank Isenhower for the pavement that can accomodate a big jet.

G

woody

Fri Nov 17, 2000 6:56 am

The plane is an American Airlines DC-10. I saw the film a couple of months ago and found the website for the film. They had a portion on making the film and they stated that the plane was a DC-10 but they didn't say what series it is, so I'm thinking it was a DC-10-30. I thought that the film was great and a some laughs about what the old lady did at the end.

RIX

Fri Nov 17, 2000 6:57 am

I didn't see winglets, so must be DC10... really cool, thank you!

The Real Answer

Fri Nov 17, 2000 9:03 am

Ok heres the truth, and this may blow some of your minds, cause it surely did mine. That plane which looks like a DC-10, is infact not a plane at all. That plane in the movie, was entirely and I mean entirely made from scratch on the 2 guys who made the movies computers with home available software. It is damn amazing to see that a home computer can be used to make a plane like that from scratch and then render it in 3d software. The only thing that the authors had when they made that plane was a tour of a real one. Even more interesting, the car on the free way, the jeep cherokee that the plane hits, was also done the same way, that was entirly made on the computer, go to the page. i think its 405movie.com or something like that, and they show you all the steps they took to make those pictures, really cool

sdate747

Fri Nov 17, 2000 11:16 am

The official website is:

http://www.405themovie.com

sccutler

And Another Thing...

Fri Nov 17, 2000 11:17 pm

...I'll second the recommendation that you got to the website and read the info on themaking of the short; it's a hoot, and very impressive work.

One funny thing: if you download and watch it now, you'll note that the DC-10 is clearly in American livery, but as the shot goes long at the end, the legend on the side of the aircraft reads, "Airliner."

Fair enough.

But when I read that name on the side of the jet after showing the short to someone here at the office, I thought (to myself), "was it always that way?"

Went home and viewed the copy I had downloaded some weeks earlier (shortly after it was released to the Web) and, sure enough, as originally released, the plane in the movie had "American" on its side.

I suppose AA's Legal Eagles weren't all that amused by a film representing an AA jet landing on a freeway.

I thought it amusing. Bye, Now.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

sdate747

Sat Nov 18, 2000 1:16 pm

That's funny. I guess AA does not want that kind of a reputation. At least they lended successfully.

jderden777

Sat Nov 18, 2000 1:30 pm

looks like a DC-10-10 to me...no middle bogie on the main undercarriage...so it can't be a -10-30...

jderden777
"my soul is in the sky" - shakespeare