Fri Nov 17, 2000 11:30 pm

Why does Iberia have so many different fleet types?? Why don't they stream
line ops to A320 family for short- and medium-haul and A340's/A330's for
long-haul?

Zander

RE: What's Up With Iberia's Fleet?

Sat Nov 18, 2000 3:41 am

Why mind?
For spotters it's great they have many aircraft types in the fleet : )

Aer Lingus

Sat Nov 18, 2000 5:15 am

Well ContinentalEWR, I know that the DC-9's and 727's are being phased out in favour of more Airbus A320 family aircraft. The MD 87's are being kept for a few more years, the 742's are expected to be retired any time now, a few more 757's are on order as far as I know (these are probably used on high density short haul and medium haul routes) and the long haul fleet is, I think, going to be standardised with A340's

Hope that helps a bit....

Martin
Dublin, Ireland

kaitak

RE: And Air Europa's Fleet?

Sat Nov 18, 2000 6:15 am

According to JPV, Iberia is planning to take over Air Europa and just to make life more interesting for the airline's fleet planners, they will have 27 more 767s, 757s and 737s. Wonderful. The aircraft are at least new and the 757 can easily be merged with the existing fleet, but the other two types. Probably to be hived off at some stage, but still more types.

I agree with my compatriot, Aer Lingus, that they are trying to cut down the numbers; the last DC10 flight is in two weeks. The 747s will stay on for another 2-3 years and the A340-600 still looks like the most likely option. The A300B4s were actually re-introduced, but I'd expect the A340 to be used for the odd few routes the 300s were used on, such as London. The 727 (and now the 737s) can be got rid of, the 737s a lot more easily, being newer.

And the livery; sorry, Iberia, it's getting a little tired now.

wingman

Sat Nov 18, 2000 10:01 am

About their livery, I always liked it. However, a natural candidate for an update would have to be the Joan Miro "Espana" logo with the Sun. Maybe just remove the existing stripes and add the Miro artwork. That might be just about the coolest livery out there.

777gk

Sat Nov 18, 2000 10:17 pm

I always liked seeing Iberia 747s. Those colors looked very good on the 742.

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Joe Pries

Click for large version

Photo © Carlos Aleman

Click for large version

Photo © Michael Pellaton

Click for large version

Photo © Konstantin Von Wedelstaedt

RayChuang

Sun Nov 19, 2000 12:05 am

I personally think that IB is one of these way underrated airlines that has tremendous growth potential.

There are two reasons for this:

1. Spain--especially the Costa del Sol coastline and the Barcelona area--is rivalling (and in many cases surpassing) the French Riviera as the "sunny vacation spot" of choice for Europeans. That means huge potential for IB to capture a large part of this business. IB should be buying more A321's and even A333's to cater to this market.

2. There is considerable business and tourist traffic between Spain and many countries in Latin America. From MAD, you could fly direct to several countries in South America; through their MIA hub, they could fly to many countries in Central America also. IB should buy as many A343's and A346's they could afford in order to cater to this traffic.

In the end, I think IB will standardize on the A319/A320/A321 series for European traffic and regional operations from MIA, possibly A333 for high-capacity European traffic, and A343/A346 for trans-Atlantic operations.

rojo

Sun Nov 19, 2000 12:36 am

Problems with Pilot Union made them get the B752 instead of the A321. I think that problem is now solved, so they will start getting the A321, although they are getting new B752's.

Rojo

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos