gregjet

Do You Have To Go To College To Be A Airline Pilot

Sat Nov 18, 2000 10:47 am

Can some please tell me do you have to have a four year college degree to be a pilot for a big copany like AA or dealta or ect if you don' t is it hard geting a job as an ailr line pilot

RE: Do You Have To Go To College To Be A Airline Pilot

Sat Nov 18, 2000 11:12 am

A few of the majors have already dropped their four-year degree requirement so you can expect the rest to follow. The regionals all say "college preffered" but is not a requirement. The main thing is your hours. But please, do not spell the way you did in your post on a job resume...

Sat Nov 18, 2000 12:22 pm

You do not need a college degree for some airlines, but I would highly recommend it. Even if the airline you apply for does not require it, be aware a lot of pilots who do apply will have a four-year degree. I would not be surprised if it would be used as a weeding out tool.

BOEING747-700

Sat Nov 18, 2000 12:44 pm

Yeah you should have a degree, it puts you above all the other applicants with out degrees. I plan to come out with a Doctorial of Science then I will fly for a major Airline. If you going to do it then do the G#D Damn thing right.  

Sat Nov 18, 2000 11:12 pm

I would highly recommend it. Also, flight training in the USAF or Navy, and heavy experience there.

Try the ROTC or NROTC, or any of the Academies.

I shot my way out of USMMA in 1953, BSNS, right into Pensacola. Flew f2h-3's for 2 years, and onto the TWA seniority list. Cost of education and flight training? $0.00. I got paid for it.

Delta737

Sun Nov 19, 2000 1:22 am

Whether or not a major airline has a four-year degree requirement doesn't matter whatsoever.

If you want to work for a major airline, consider a four-year degree as a requirement.

Upwards of 99% of all major airline new hires have at least a four year degree. With no shortage of pilots vying for a job at the majors, that probably will not change.

Doug Taylor
Delta MD-90 FO
www.jetcareers.com