gregjet

Do You Have To Go To College To Be A Airline Pilot

Sat Nov 18, 2000 10:47 am

Can some please tell me do you have to have a four year college degree to be a pilot for a big copany like AA or dealta or ect if you don' t is it hard geting a job as an ailr line pilot

RE: Do You Have To Go To College To Be A Airline Pilot

Sat Nov 18, 2000 11:12 am

A few of the majors have already dropped their four-year degree requirement so you can expect the rest to follow. The regionals all say "college preffered" but is not a requirement. The main thing is your hours. But please, do not spell the way you did in your post on a job resume...

Sat Nov 18, 2000 12:22 pm

You do not need a college degree for some airlines, but I would highly recommend it. Even if the airline you apply for does not require it, be aware a lot of pilots who do apply will have a four-year degree. I would not be surprised if it would be used as a weeding out tool.

BOEING747-700

Sat Nov 18, 2000 12:44 pm

Yeah you should have a degree, it puts you above all the other applicants with out degrees. I plan to come out with a Doctorial of Science then I will fly for a major Airline. If you going to do it then do the G#D Damn thing right.  

Sat Nov 18, 2000 11:12 pm

I would highly recommend it. Also, flight training in the USAF or Navy, and heavy experience there.

Try the ROTC or NROTC, or any of the Academies.

I shot my way out of USMMA in 1953, BSNS, right into Pensacola. Flew f2h-3's for 2 years, and onto the TWA seniority list. Cost of education and flight training? $0.00. I got paid for it.

Delta737

Sun Nov 19, 2000 1:22 am

Whether or not a major airline has a four-year degree requirement doesn't matter whatsoever.

If you want to work for a major airline, consider a four-year degree as a requirement.

Upwards of 99% of all major airline new hires have at least a four year degree. With no shortage of pilots vying for a job at the majors, that probably will not change.

Doug Taylor
Delta MD-90 FO
www.jetcareers.com

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos